News: 
Paragraphite

I need a hug Read 20138 times

Thunderstruck

• Loitering Fool Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: I need a hug
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:34 am »
You can borrow my trebuchet when it gets built, and lob earthworm-cream pies at said editor.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2015, 08:58:19 am »
Wow. So he definitely didn't get it. I loved the suspense of the book and how Hale looked soooooo guilty even after we knew it wasn't him. SOOOO guilty! It was a trip and if this guy would have wanted that changed, then he wasn't the right agent for the book.

HUGS!  :pinkcupcake: :pinkcupcake: :pinkcupcake:

And "guy fiction"? Is that like "women's fiction"? Anything following a guy doing things guys want to read about? I hate women's fiction as a category too... it's not a category. It's a gender. Bah.

And if not I'll pull out that old romance novel and sell out to Harlequin

O.O You... You have another book!?

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »
You can borrow my trebuchet when it gets built, and lob earthworm-cream pies at said editor.

What is a trebucket?  At first I thought catapult but if it only holds something the size of a pie it may not serve my purpose.

Quote from: ara

O.O You... You have another book!?

Yes.  Two actually.  One I wrote with Shadow (called Perfect Crime) and one I re-crafted from a romance RP circa 2004 (called Homecoming).  Neither is as polished as GW, but I'm tempted to write another genre since I obviously can't write mystery.

*continues pity party because I can*

Thunderstruck

• Loitering Fool Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2015, 06:38:50 am »
A trebuchet is similar to a catapult, but uses beam with a sling one one end, and a weighted fulcrum the other, allowing for greater distance, and velocity, than a catapult;  which in turn relies on a tension released arm with a bowl/basket on the firing end.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2015, 01:17:07 pm »
Beau!! Beau!!! Please don't be too sad -- like, yeah, be a little sad because that agent was a gROSSLING (misspelling names when they have been CLEARLY SPELT FOR YOU is my biggest pet peeve), but honestly, it just means your better fit is waiting.  You are a great writer and you know how to craft a story - how can anyone who has done what we do for as long as we have not - and you will find the right agent who will get it, completely.     Ara gushed non-stop after she finished reading your MS -- so it has to be good!   You've got this, Boo! That's your new nickname by the way, I just decided~

But!!! Go lick your wounds and then remind yourself that a man who didn't have enough reading comprehension to correctly SPELL YOUR NAME WHEN IT WAS IN FRONT OF HIM (seriously!!) was never going to be a man in your target audience.  You WILL succeed, there is literally nothing left for you to do but do so -- plus hello, eventually we all gotta have a Paragraphite gang of authors, soooo... yeah.

:cake: :choco: :mlprainbow: :crown: :cupcake: :heart: :jill: :blueteapot: :bow: :whitecat:

Q

• Drinking tea. ('cos that's what we do in England)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2016, 01:16:50 pm »
I need a hug. Or a rant. Or a large vat of ice cream and someone to hold me while I go full on panic mode.

I am a student nurse in my third and last year of Uni before I head out into the real world of work.
A little bit of background info: I started my newest placement in November. I did this placement (working in hospitals full time for 'experience') for 6 weeks before the xmas break. I'm due back there this coming Monday for another 6 weeks.
When I first started my placement, I told my mentor (a registered nurse I'm meant to be shadowing) that I worked best if for the first few weeks she basically told me what to do.
Since then, I have had little to no input from her. I've worked things out for myself with no feedback. When I've needed help in an area which I had no experience of, I asked her and got no response, so I asked someone else. ALL the other staff are lovely and really helpful.
Just her!
We have these 'interviews' where we have a chat and log progress etc.
Before xmas, we had one of these interviews where she stated that she had been concerned about me because I hadn't been "autonomous enough" (basically doing things for myself, working independently without input or help) but that I had made massive improvements. She wanted me to return with the same attitude I'd had for the past couple of weeks (Doing my own thing and making learning opportunities for myself because she damned well wasn't going to help me do anything).
I left the placement for xmas break on what I thought was a positive note. I'd 'improved' in her eyes. She seems to have very high expectations of a third year with no experience of a very intensive mental health care ward.

There's a lot of things I don't agree with there, and I've told her so in confidence.
I also had a little time off where I was very very sick with a vitamin D deficiency. It was so bad I was being sick all the time, needing an excessive amount of sleep and had constant headaches. I told her this too, because she wanted an explanation for my "lack of presence".

Now: I have received an email from my personal tutor at Uni, requesting that we meet, with my mentor in order to discuss some 'concerns' she has about me. I have no idea what the hell these concerns are and why she felt the need to email my personal tutor regarding them.
Having spoken to a friend on the same course, she has jumped a few hurdles in regulation and these concerns should have been addressed with myself personally and an action plan been put into play in order to correct any 'slights' before she even thought about contacting Uni.
As far as I am aware, my mentor an I have spoken at length about the 'concerns' I knew she had with me, and I was not only working on improving those areas, but also she said NOTHING to me about them apart from that I was improving.
APART from that it had maybe taken me too long to adjust (which after no instruction or feedback from her in previous weeks, I believe is wholly understandable)

So basically, now... my bloody course is in jeopardy, I'm so worried I feel sick and feel like crying, and my personal tutor has no idea what 'concerns' my mentor has!

I need lots of hugs. Like a whole lot of them.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2016, 01:45:07 pm »
Studying is a bucket of angst, and then when it starts becoming work, it's even worse. I hope the talk goes well! Lots of hugs for you! try taking this time to wind down even though it's hard!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2016, 01:48:57 pm »
Q! *hugs* What nonsense! Are you close with your Uni tutor? Did you explain this stuff to him/her yet or are you waiting for the meeting to see what it is that the mentor is complaining about? Ugh. This all sounds so unnecessarily stressful! *smothers in hugs* When is the meeting?

:redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:

Q

• Drinking tea. ('cos that's what we do in England)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2016, 02:09:07 pm »
Thank you Verse and Ara.

Ara; I've known my tutor for 3 years. He knows me pretty well. We've spoken via email regarding this (briefly) and he has no idea what her concerns are. I have to arrange the meeting, all three of us have to be present. So, I now have to wait for email responses from him (He's not good at them). And have to talk to her about him coming to see us both.
So I won't know what these 'concerns' are til the meeting... when I've finally managed to co-ordinate 3 people's lives around a meeting that'll probably only last an hour (if that).

Now... excuse me while I raid the freezer for help from my good friends Ben and Jerry.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »
I hope you found some ice cream, Q! Let us know how it goes when you have a meeting. *hugs*

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2017, 12:32:07 am »
I know it's been forever. I know I'm a quiet little duck that hasn't quacked in a long time, but what I am is a creepy lurker duck, who had a craptastic day.

Being an adult, choosing to be an adult is terribly awful.
I hate goodbyes.
I hate ends that I wish weren't ending.

If the only constant is change, make me a stone so I don't have to realize a hole has been worn through me
until it's to late to do anything about it....

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2017, 03:57:50 am »
I cannot make you a stone, alas, but I can offer you a virtual hug for the hardship of a goodbye, because there is not much else to be done in those hard times.

-hug-

Take care of yourself. We may be quiet here, but we're still here.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2017, 06:46:46 am »
Sorry for whatever happened pere. *hug*

I hope it gets better, and if it doesn't I hope it gets easier.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:08 pm »
*hugs* Whatever it is, we're always around to hear about it or to give you hugs. And everyone loves a good lurker!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2017, 07:46:55 am »
Thanks all. I had a really messy falling out with a friend over something stupid, and I think we're trying to work it out now, but it's... even if we do, which I can't be sure of, it won't ever be the same.

Blurgh- sometimes you just have to walk away as an adult, and I hate it.

BUT! Reading Verse's "manventures" has given me a good eyebrow raise and chuckle. I hope it isn't all as dire, and is as satirical as it sounds in my head.

Ya'll rock!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2017, 10:47:13 am »
I'm glad you're enjoying it, and hope the friendship at least become tolerable later on.

And what part of "trauma-flattened bread pancakes salted with tears" doesn't sound dire?