Paragraphite

The Master's Redemption [Closed] Read 33798 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: The Master's Redemption [Closed]
« Reply #450 on: May 08, 2016, 10:41:01 pm »
‘All that I…?’ Maya wouldn’t deny it. She had accused, but it was true. Angelus was doing most of the accusing, though.

“I am the same person you know. I’m not who I was five years ago.”
It was a constant stream of growth. It was why Aeron hadn’t mattered, wouldn’t matter—he was in the past, he was not directly influencing her now. “You’re not Saxon. I’m not her. Time and experience has changed us both.”

It was when he questioned her companionship that she felt a stab of heartache, and she had to look away. He didn’t know how to talk about this, or so he said. Maya wasn’t sure what it was they needed to talk about. Neither wanted to speak of the past—they were both different people.

‘Reasons?’

Lucy’s question in the kitchen came back. The question that hadn’t been a question, and an answer that had never been given, but known between them.

Maya couldn’t say it. Saying it was something she hated to do, because it was admitting that another had power over her. It had taken her forever to tell Julio, and even then she hadn’t meant to—didn’t want to. “I could wonder at your reasons, too,” that was cruel to say.

She didn’t know how to talk about this, either. “I know you’re different. I knew…,” and then she shook her head. No, no she didn’t. That was a dream. “I saw what you become when the drums are present. I’m not here to use you—not for anything but your companionship.” That was honest. Even if it was painful now, it was still honest. “Isn’t that enough, or do I need to have some other selfish motivation?” Wanting another person’s time was selfish enough.

~***~

Aeron still could not find it in himself to be pleased with how this all turned out, but he hated to be blindsided. Still, he let Cyrus go, and told himself he would think about all of this later, when he could discuss this with Setsuna.

He let Cyrus leave first, and he remained in the diner a little longer, waiting, giving the crowd of reporters time to wonder—then he walked out, and he left them all behind without so much as a comment.

When he was certain he was clear of them, he would call Setsuna, and tell him to go to his home. They needed to have a chat about this new change in the game.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 08, 2016, 11:49:06 pm »
The Master breathed out, unclenching his fists and using one of his hands to cover his eyes. Apparently, he didn’t know how to speak at all.

“Yeah, I know—” He shook his head. “That’s not what I meant. All I meant was that….”

It was only when Maya used his own words against him, questioning the reasons behind his companionship, that he realized just how hurtful he was being. He couldn’t take that back, however, not without conceding most of his argument. Despite it all - the ray of hope that was understanding each other - the Master was still angry. And now on top of that, he felt hurt.

But why should he? He couldn’t be offended by the same accusation he had made.

“I suppose not,” he answered turning away from her for a moment. “I don’t regret your companionship, and I know I may not have the right to be angry, but I cannot help that either. I don’t know why.”

This conversation was going nowhere, and it was mostly because the two of them couldn’t seem to get their points across. Why couldn’t they communicate like normal people? What was the thing that got in their way?

“Do you want to tell me what happened after you were taken? Before we were reunited?”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 09, 2016, 12:03:31 am »
Maya was hurt, but she knew why. She knew why she was angry, as well. She wondered briefly if the Master truly did not know why he was angry, or if he was just lying. She shouldn’t have these doubts, but Angelus had put something into words—the Master didn’t know himself.

He was learning.

Some of what he was learning could indeed be considered worrisome.

Yet there were other things that Maya had seen, which were different. ‘They were there, even then, just….’ Just in different forms. Hardly overt.

Blessedly, he changed the topic. Maya didn’t want to talk about it anymore, but it was something different, and she’d grasp at that. “I don’t know. I was in the TARDIS, and then I heard a woman singing. My memory goes blank after that,” she didn’t know how she got to that world. She didn’t know how Beckett found her or Alatria got her—that hadn’t been Alatria singing. “I just woke up there.”

She was evading the only important detail, she knew it as the ring’s insignia pressed into her palm.

She let it go. “I dreamt.” Had she dreamt, or was she dreaming now? She remembered the confusion then—the dreams of this world, while she was in that one. Was this a dream now? Would she wake up and find herself back there?

“It’d be easier to show you, but the last time it hurt.”
There had never been a ‘last time’ with this Master. “No, not…never mind.” She shook her head. She was confused, she was tired, she was angry. Nothing was going to come out right, so she held out her hand. “Look.” She dealt with that before, she could deal with it again, as she tried to remember how it felt to lower the guards in her mind and do just that. 

Some of the guards would waver, though. Those around the memory with Lucy would stay strong. Everything with Lucy, in fact, would be protected, which would make the memories that were unguarded a splintered mess.

"Maybe you can make sense of it."

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 09, 2016, 01:43:22 am »
The Master felt like he could breathe when the subject changed, and he was further alleviated when Maya didn’t press him for it.

“Death,” he muttered angrily to himself as Maya explained. It further angered him how little he knew about what had happened, especially when dealing with someone so insane and sadistic as his previous sponsor of death. Alatria, which was by no means a comparable force to death, had managed to make things worse.

Little did he know in that moment just how much he was underestimating the vengeful woman.

The Master was wary, even for just a moment, about what he was supposed to do. He felt like the invitation was like an invasion of privacy, but she had implied that this had happened once before. The fact he couldn’t recall it frightened him.

This might be his only chance, however, and so he felt compelled to take it.

The Master reached out and grabbed Maya’s hand, and it was the first time he felt at ease. Not because of what he was about to do, but because the touch felt so familiar, so needed, that he couldn’t feel anything else.

“You may feel some discomfort,” he said, apologetic. He would try to make it as smooth as was possible.

The Time Lord’s other hand reached for Maya’s face, and so he dove into her mind. The first few images were not easy for him to process, as Maya seemed to be aligned to him back in the year he so desperately wanted to forget. There were familiar faces, but most of them blurred after a few seconds.

The journey was not easy, and there were some parts that were much too obscured for him to see without real effort. This was Maya’s own defenses putting barriers against the invader. He could see Lucy and Maya together, and there were no words to describe how awful he felt. What had they talked about? What had Lucy said?

He wanted to breach those walls, to find out what had gone on between them, but he was afraid of the pain he would cause Maya. He was unaware of the devastating effects his invasion would cause on himself.

Jack Harkness also made an appearance, and Maya’s relationship with the man was twisted, and it offered a little insight to what could happen between them. It was clear that Maya felt strongly for him, and that she used him as support.

He couldn’t allow that possibility, even if it made Beckett’s confession more possible than he could ever imagine. It wasn't possible to him. 

The Master also saw the Doctor’s companion, and his morbid fate under his rule. It made him feel incredibly disgusted, but that was not what was most important.

Maya’s intent to kill him, and her inability to do so in the end, left him perplexed. There were a plethora of implications in her actions that he couldn't handle right then.

In the end, his curiosity was not sated, and he pushed past the barriers only to see Lucy, and how she had looked while she was with him. She was hollow, and she had tried to help Maya. The amount of things that Maya was willing to forgive, and for what? Why hadn't she killed him when she got the chance? Why had she not heeded the Lucy's advice?

Why didn't she really answer Lucy's question?

Immediately, and without truly knowing why, the Master let go of Maya instantly, and his hands fell to his sides.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 09, 2016, 02:04:41 am »
‘At least this time you warn me.’

Maya tried to relax, knowing that the barriers he had to confront would only make it more difficult for her. Yet, she kept them up around certain areas. She even became conscious of it as they moved, and she shut her eyes, watching the memories as he did, and blocking the ones she didn’t want seen.

Radio static and walls.

The Master stayed along the rails, for the most part, but he didn’t breach the only block Maya cared about—the one that kept her from seeing how she got into this mess. The one with “Death”, perhaps. Angelus and the Master kept bringing up this entity. It did not appear. There was no rhyme or reason for the dream, none that Maya knew.

All that she knew was that it was true to the nature of the year, even if it was not the same.

Then the Master pressed at the barriers. Maya bit down on her own cheek as she felt the pain of it, and tried to only increase them in strength, hoping he would get the hint.

He did not. A whimper parted her lips, and only that, as the barrier broke apart. Her mind tried to lash out instead as the barrier broke. It tried to send those broken shards into the Master’s own mind—there was an open path to his mind, after all, but if it worked Maya did not know. She wasn’t even conscious of that effort as the memory played out for them, with Lucy’s damning question in the air.

Maya pulled away at the same time as the Master let her go, stumbling backwards and throwing her hands to either side of her head, eyes still shut as it felt like her head was bleeding. It wasn’t, of course, but the last time the Master hadn’t broken any barriers. She’d left her mind wholly open then, though. Not this time.

"You shouldn't have--!"
And Maya stopped herself, biting down on her own tongue.

It felt like thoughts were slipping out in the imagined bleed and she kept her eyes tightly shut, trying to repair. Trying not to be angry. She hadn’t told him anything was off-limits. Her own fault.

“My virtuosa.”

Slipping between the cracks. "Sorry."

“Why do you make me hurt you?”

Maya kept her feet but found the railing and leaned on it, eyes still shut. She tried to breathe. Now she had some idea of how it felt—she’d wanted to know before, hadn’t she? She’d wanted to know how the hypnotism felt, too. ‘Do you still want to know?’ She wasn’t so sure—except it would give her an idea of what to defend against.

“Killer.”

Maya forced a sharp breath. “That dream wasn’t…normal.” An understatement. “That wasn’t a dream.” And yet it was, of course, but it was also something much more. “Can Death…do that?” She wanted to avoid the topic of Lucy all together. She wanted to avoid her pain, too. “Why would Death?”

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 09, 2016, 03:26:57 am »
The Master was unwell, and he couldn’t hide it. In that moment, he didn’t want to hide it.

“I didn’t know what I was allowed to see!” The outburst could not be contained, but he also digressed with brief regret. “I should have asked, I apologize. I should have taken the hint as well when you put your shields up.” It was beyond anything he had ever seen from a human, the resistance she was able to muster from him.

Still, that didn’t change the fact that he had found out very little information from what Death was planning for the pair of them. Naturally, it was his own fault. If he would have remained vigilant, if he hadn’t overreacted from what he’d discovered, he might have been able to dig deeper. Thinking about it now,  he didn’t know whether it was worth it. What if he found out more about what she didn’t want him to know?

Would Maya allow him a second opportunity to dwell into her mind? Would she be willing to suffer once more?

‘I can’t ask that of her.’

He shook his head.

“Death is powerful, and she is likely playing some sort of game with you. The nature of which I do not know. Clearly she wanted you to kill me.”

The Master felt embarrassed about how much Maya had seen, and what she’s seen him do. He couldn’t think of it, but he hoped that one day he would be able to come to terms with it’s fallacy. The fallacy of the year that never was threatened to never leave him.

“I’m so sorry you had to go through that.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 09, 2016, 03:46:51 am »
Maya winced at the shout, as it seemed to be in her head as much as it was outside of it. ‘Be quiet.’ She didn’t want to open her eyes. She didn’t want to add further sensations to her mind to take in, but she was going to have to. Eventually.

“Planning to be a triple threat one day? Why?”

He thought Death was playing some game with her. ‘But why?’ And why couldn’t she see it? She could see so much—‘Except.’ There was a moment. The door, when she’d got shot. How did she get behind the door? “She’s playing with my head.” Though furious, Maya only spoke in a whisper, trying to ease her own oncoming headache and what felt like a ridiculous ability to hear.

“Tick tock, goes the clock….”

Every other barrier Maya had went up, and she opened her eyes. She didn’t know how to keep Death out. She didn’t know what she wasn’t allowed to see, or why she wasn’t allowed to remember these things, “Two blanks. One in the TARDIS, after the game. Then one, before you….”

‘Before you shot me.’

“…destroyed the door.”

Did he remember she was suddenly no longer with him?

“I love you, you know.”

One hand fell back to her side. She shook her head, trying and trying to stop the flow of irrelevant thoughts.

Trying to get it all back together. “I’m sorry as well. I should have…I didn’t even really know I could…,” what she could and couldn’t do with her mind were all instincts, “I knew there were things I didn’t want you to see. I didn’t quite realize I could protect them like that. Or try,” she’d failed. “I didn’t want to say ‘don’t look at these’. I’m sorry.” Saying such a thing was suspicious. “It seems we know nothing more about what Death is up to…except she doesn’t like me.”

“Are you going to explain, or do I have to do that too?”

Which was fantastic. “Perhaps Jack would know more,” it was a trailing thought, recent past with Beckett’s joke momentarily forgotten. What she remembered was Jack after the Xhinn, Jack giving the go ahead, Jack understanding. Jack didn’t die, after all. Perhaps he knew something about Death and her agendas. Her mind was trying to act like Angelus's, trying to pull up relevant things. It wasn't working in the best of ways. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 02, 2016, 10:20:04 pm »
Perhaps it wasn’t entirely intentional, but the Master could sense Maya’s maneuvering around the fact that he had shot her. She said that she understood, but the Master didn’t know if he believed her in that moment. There was something about the way she said things, how she worded things, that made it seem that this was far from over.

Naturally, he said nothing more on the subject. What good could come from prematurely confronting Maya about something that had clearly been his mistake and oversight.

“I don’t know,” said the Master when Maya spoke of Jack. His opinion had not been warranted, but the Time Lord was not shy about his concerns with the man who couldn’t die. “He was there the first time,” he couldn’t imagine how casually he was speaking about that year, “but this seems to be separate from that. There is no reason to believe that he should know something about what you saw.”

He took pause, angrily frowning.

“Then again,” he muttered mostly to himself, “there is no one else that can escape Death like he can. She must already detest him.”

Could Death hate the man more than he did? Could she hate him more than she hated Maya? What would she think of an allegiance with the man? The mere thought of allying himself with someone who had suffered so much under his will, it frightened him. The Master didn’t frighten easily, but he didn’t know how else to react.

“I don’t,” he struggled slightly to confess. “I don’t look forward to seeing the man. We can go see him, if you so wish.”

The words barely made it out of his mouth. Was this enough of a reason? Were they really going to go see Jack now? He desperately clung to his denial.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 02, 2016, 10:35:03 pm »
Jack was not the safest topic, Maya knew.

Maya also knew Jack was one of those people she’d trust to make the right decisions. The hard decisions.

And yet as the topic shifted so easily to what felt like familiar ground, she knew this was not how Angelus wanted it. She was also keenly aware that by shifting to Death, to something that was threatening them, she was avoiding just that. Death was irrelevant in the scheme of things leaking in her mind.

“Yes, she must, and Jack must know something.”

There were more important things.

There was the reason why she was here, now that Angelus had thrown the spotlight on it in her own mind. It came in whispers she didn’t like. It came in Lucy’s question, and her unintended statement to Julio. It came as a thought she denied with an ache, over and over, to know it was true. 

But this seemed important. Relevant. “I don’t want to see Jack now.” Maya had a feeling if she saw Jack, it wouldn’t go well, but she wasn’t sure for who. For Angelus? Probably. For the Master? Definitely. For herself? She wasn’t sure…but seeing him, then, scared her.

“Angelus wanted to go to Rome,”
another redirection. Why did Angelus want to go to Rome? Maya recalled Caesar. Antony. Brutus. It seemed suddenly so far away. “We should go there, when…we’re ready.” Angelus said many things before talking of Rome, but now that it was in her mind, all she could recall was Antony’s burning look from the doorway of the senate, and she wasn’t so sure she wanted to be there, either.

Easier to confront him, though. Activity. Movement. She wanted to get lost in it again. “On Angelus…,” she hesitated, then just asked: “Can he be…can his mind be…restored?”

He was broken in two. It wasn’t agreeable. Just as the Master split in two wasn’t agreeable—but at least he knew what he did as his other self.

Angelus didn’t.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 02, 2016, 10:58:15 pm »
Maya didn’t want to see Jack immediately, and the Master felt immense relief. He had felt so frustrated so often recently that he hardly recognized the feeling. This was good, and it was calming.

‘You’ll have time,’ he tried to comfort himself. ‘You’ll have time to push the meeting back again.’

The Master wasn’t thrilled to go to Rome either, but there was no real decision between going to Rome and going to meet Jack. It was with slightly panicked enthusiasm that the Master embraced this new plan.

Rome. Never Jack.

“Then we can go to Rome,” the Master seemed to breathe a little easier, and his whole expression seemed to calm. Like Maya, the Master needed this distraction. He needed to move about and forget what happened. Hopefully after something a little less critical he could more comfortably tackle the task of seeing Jack face-to-face again.

If the universe was willing to be kind to him, perhaps they wouldn’t need to see Jack at all. Such a scenario did not seem very likely.

“Let’s do that now, then,” he moved to the control center of the TARDIS, and it began to move through space and time after a few levers were pulled and a few buttons were pushed. The gentle and subtle movement of the TARDIS was also calming, as it reminded him of the first adventures he had shared with Maya. How had things gotten so complicated? Why had Death meddled?

Upon hearing of Ange’s dilemma, he fought back a frown.

“I’m not familiar with why such a thing happens to him,” he spoke, but then continued, “but I suppose I can try to…shake it out of him?”

After all, if there ever was anyone who could ‘fix’ Angelus, it would be the Master. He had broken him, after all.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 02, 2016, 11:10:14 pm »
Rome.

‘All roads lead to Rome.’

Maya tried to breathe as well, but the relief was short lived. Angelus felt the jarring of the TARDIS and came from the depths of it back to the main room, just as the Master was talking about him. “Shake what out of who?”

“Your mental issues.”
Maya answered.

“Pass.”
As the Master was behind it, Angelus had little interest in seeing how else the Master could fuck things up with his mind. “Where are we going?”

“Rome.”

Angelus rolled his eyes. “You don’t even know when,” he muttered, but took out the parchment he’d received earlier. He knew the two of them hadn’t talked nearly long enough to fix anything. He wasn’t sure how they’d arrived at the idea of moving on to Rome already, but he wouldn’t bring it back up. He handed the parchment to Maya, who turned it over in her hand.

It read as English to her, the ‘Despotes’ read as ‘Master’. “This isn’t for me.” The handwriting was quite elegant, though. She almost thought a woman had written it, just because of the fluidity of the penmanship.

“I can’t read Greek,”
Angelus stated. He had known what the word was, anyway.

Maya approached the Master with the scroll, as she asked, “How did you get this?”

“Vortex Manipulator took me there. Creepy girl gave me a tarot card. Then I ended up here.”
He shrugged, as if this was something completely normal and sane. With everything else that had happened, it honestly seemed the most sane thing.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 03, 2016, 09:55:35 pm »
The Master was long past believing that anything and everything needed to make sense. Recent events had proven that notion to be completely untrue, and the scroll that Maya approached him with was no exception. There were few ways that the vortex manipulator could so coincidentally take Angelus to Rome and then back to them.

It had been tampered with. There was something larger at play, and he wanted to know what it was.

At first glance, the Time Lord couldn’t quite figure out what the scroll meant. Was there something more than just the obvious face value that it carried? It was clearly targeted at him, but why? Was there something else that he had done?

‘Clearly,’ his own mind answered the query.

The Master was revisiting Rome after all. The penmanship of the scroll seemed familiar, but it didn’t particularly resemble something or someone warm.

“Whatever it means,” he said without taking the scroll to look at himself, “I’m sure we’ll figure it out. Just like how we’ll figure out how you got here,” he looked to Angelus briefly.

He sounded agitated, as if all he wanted was something uncomplicated. As the TARDIS silently landed at their destination, the crippling feeling that he was a fool to hope for that settled in his gut.

‘You’ll have time,’ he reminded.

The Master cleared his throat, and with a quick glance at his general appearance, he sighed.

“I’m going to go change,” his jaw clenched, “to something with less of a…stench.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 03, 2016, 10:27:12 pm »
The Master never took the scroll, so Maya set it down on the console as he spoke of getting cleaned up. ‘Probably a good idea.’ She humored the thought of throwing on the centurion outfit again, but in the end decided that she didn’t want to. She didn’t have any stolas or togas, but something cleaner would be welcome at this point. This was still bloodstained.

“I think I will, too,”
Maya didn’t wait, but turned to go off to find her own room and bathroom to get cleaned up.

Angelus did glance down at himself, then, “Uh, I don’t suppose you have anything I could borrow, do you?” He asked the Master. “I mean, I don’t mind as much as you, but it probably isn’t good to go into there bloodstained,” then again it was Rome.

He’d done his best to try and wipe off the wet blood and other things. It was all zombie, but it was still stained terribly and likely held a stench, too. Angelus wasn’t noticing such things then; they were all covered and likely all smelt the same, which made it difficult to notice the differences. “I can’t fit in any of Maya’s clothes,” that was obvious. She was too short.

And he really didn’t want to walk into Rome in a skirt. He’d lose all cred.

Besides, he still wasn’t sure the Master had gotten the timing right. He hadn’t glanced at the scroll.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 03, 2016, 10:52:21 pm »
The Master looked to Angelus, and after giving him a once over, he gave him a firm nod. Angelus was only a little taller than the Master, but other than that they would be of similar sizes.  It would be a much better fit than if Ange wore any of Maya’s clothes. Although likely an entertaining sight, it would not be appropriate in that moment.

“I’m sure you can find something that’ll fit you.”

The Master made his way back to his personal chambers, and was quick to change into something better. He traced his fingers across his body, wincing when they reached the places where he had been hurt. His body had been healing quickly, but the memory of it all still ached. He wasn’t scared by any means, but that didn’t mean that he wanted to remember it all.

The Master changed into something that was similar to what he was wearing, but it was clean. He didn’t like to be dirty, but he also couldn’t wait to be back in the action. He simply picked up the first thing he could find, an ensemble he had bought in one of his past adventures with Maya.

For a second, the Master smiled. It wasn’t for a long time, but it was clear. Uncomplicated.

He hurried back to the control center, trying to make it a point to be the first back. Upon arriving, he decidedly lifted the scroll from where it rested and gave it a much closer look. The second that he heard someone approaching, he put it back down.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 03, 2016, 11:03:35 pm »
Angelus was relieved to be getting out of the clothes he wore, and followed the Master to his room. ‘I swear I went this way….’ And none of this had been here. Angelus looked around the TARDIS a few moments, as if expecting things to shift around him, before he walked into the Master’s room and looked over him and into the closet.

Fortunately the Master didn’t take long in picking something out, so Angelus was allowed to observe the items. “Jesus Christ,” he muttered as he looked over it all. “Do you even know what comfortable clothing is?” It was spoken too low for Angelus to expect the Master to hear, but there wasn’t even a pair of jeans! Not even a t-shirt!

And then his eyes caught metal, armor. ‘Well….’ He didn’t like dress up, but wasn’t he going to Rome? ‘Fuck it.’ Only these two would ever know. He grabbed the armor, deciding it was better than fitting into anything silk, and walked out of the room with it to find another place to change.

One presented itself too easily. He glared at the walls before he walked into the room he knew wasn’t across from the Master’s before, and then stripped himself of the dirty clothing and threw on the Centurion outfit. It was a bit snug, but it worked well enough. The skirt wasn’t too high despite the height difference between him and the Master, and he soon walked out into the console room to find the Master there.

The Master was setting the scroll down. “You don’t like instructions, do you?” Angelus decided as he pushed an agitated hand through his dark hair.

Then more steps, and Maya returned to them, cleaned up quite a bit more. It looked like she’d taken a quick shower, some of her hair still a little damp, but mostly dried. She’d likely rushed the drying job, and donned a halter dress that at least looked like it could have come from the era, in a burgundy hue. Angelus smirked a bit, remembering how Maya and Andrew had once debated the ‘shade’ of purple in Rome that was royal. Apparently, it was burgundy.

His smirk died when Maya's eyes fell on him, and she started to laugh. "Oh, shut up, it was the only decent thing he owned!" Angelus complained. It didn't make her stop laughing. If anything she only laughed harder.

“Well, are we ready to see what the Romans want?”
Ange asked.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: July 03, 2016, 11:42:32 pm »
The way Angelus spoke to him made the Master perceive it as accusatory. He was about to say something to him, but Maya soon joined the both of them at the control center. In fact, the Master had been so affronted by Ange that he hadn’t truly noticed the Centurion outfit until he heard Maya’s laughter ring throughout the TARDIS.

It had been such a rare sound, one that he hadn’t truly heard since the maze, that it made it seem like the last few mishaps hadn’t happened. It was a beautiful sound, though he was nowhere near ready to admit it. Not to anyone, and certainly not to Maya.

As he had just done recently, the Master once again gave Angelus a once over. This time, he did so with a very clear smirk painted across his face. The Master didn’t really need to confront Ange, he had outdone himself with his choice of attire. This was the first part of his payback, and there would be more to come later.

“Yes,” he stifled a laugh. “Wait,” he amended with a sudden and brief gaze to the scroll. The Master’s hand reached across the panel to press a few buttons, and the TARDIS seemed to hum quietly, but it didn’t seem to move. “Yes, we are ready to see what the Romans want.”

The Master stepped away from the control center and approached the entrance to the TARDIS. He used the fact that he was facing away from his companions to his advantage, grinning as he reached for the door. Wasting no more time, the Master stepped out of the TARDIS and into the time of the Roman empire.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 03, 2016, 11:55:33 pm »
Angelus didn’t so much as redden under the laughter or smirk, though his discomfort was evident on his features. He folded his arms over his chest, “If I had known you were going to dress up, I would have, too,” Maya noted.

He just kept the scowl on his face. “I’m sure that is completely normal in Rome,” a woman as a Centurion. No matter—she’d gotten away with it last time, hadn’t she?

The Master pressed a few more buttons, and then they were ready. Angelus followed after him, as did Maya, the last to leave the TARDIS this time.

Rome was bustling, but it could only be heard in the distance from where they were, more or less isolated. Angelus’s gaze quickly found the man he’d first met, sitting on a few stacked boxes, and dressed in finery—but with only a spattering of the burgundy that Maya wore, and it was a bit more reddened.

He seemed most pleased with himself, too, as he pushed off the boxes.

Maya recognized him as the one who had spoken to Brutus in the senate, the one who had told him he was almost late…the one who seemed to know far more than he ought. Yet, his name evaded her. “Welcome to Rome,” he greeted the trio, nodded, to Angelus, “and thank you for delivering the message.”

Angelus gave him a blank stare, then looked back to Maya and whispered, “What did he say?”

“He said thank y—you can’t understand?”

“…no?”

Maya squinted at Angelus, as if trying to figure out how he couldn’t understand when he just came from the TARDIS.

Maecenas continued. He expected Angelus couldn’t understand, since he hadn’t understood the first time, “Master,” he addressed the second-tallest, “Triumviri Gaius Julius Caesar would like to meet with you, if you would. I am Gaius Cilnius Maecenas, at your service.”

Maya was startled from her examination of Angelus and curiosity, when that name was said. She almost asked 'what about Brutus', but remembered...he was likely dead now.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 04, 2016, 08:28:33 pm »
The TARDIS had taken them right where it ought to, and the Master’s gaze took in all of their surroundings. Rome was as beautiful as he remembered, and the comparisons he had once been subjected to no longer bothered him. Quickly, the man’s eyes settled on Maecenas, who welcomed them. The Master gave the roman a singular firm nod, still wondering exactly why he had been so summoned.

The sound of society was a quiet hum in the background. Compared to the chaos that had been both the maze and the zombie apocalypse, this was a welcomed and much appreciated sound.

Before the Master could say anything, the TARDIS seemed to be unable to translate adequately for the second time. The Master reached for his trusty pen, and with a single click, he analyzed. At first the Master had assumed that there was a glitch in the translator in the TARDIS - a one-time thing when Ange was unable to read the parchment. Now, he was no longer sure.

‘It could be the fact that Ange is disconnected from his true self, or that the vortex manipulator is messing with the TARDIS.’

Still, he put that concern aside. At least for the time being.

“Thank you,” the Master said to Maecenas. “Do you know what this is about?” He motioned with his hand for Maecenas to lead the way. The Master looked to Angelus as they walked. “I’ll need to see your manipulator, Ange. That may be interfering with the translator.”

It was either that or Ange’s mental situation. If the first, he would fix it. If the second, Ange would likely experience Rome without understanding a single thing. 

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 04, 2016, 08:40:00 pm »
“Of course I do,” Maecenas answered the Master, “but it is no good to discuss it here. We need to head to Caesar’s villa. I believe he’s seeing Antonius and Lepidus this morning…hopefully they’re gone.” They wouldn’t be, and Maecenas knew it. Maecenas had seen Marcus Antonius on his way here, holding his head from a hangover and muttering under his breath about the young ‘Caesar’.

“Maecenas, didn’t Caesar…die?”
Maya had to ask. She didn’t understand how they were going to see Caesar.

Maecenas glanced over his shoulder as they walked, then realized—differences again. “Ah, yes. Caesar's will adopted his great-nephew, Gaius Octavius. Octavius took the name Caesar afterwards—he still prefers Octavius, but not with strangers.” Something about how the name ‘Octavius’ was too lowborn. It was why he did not use the name Octavian, as well, which was normal of those who were adopted. They kept some history of their birth names. “I wouldn’t mention the whole Caesar thing to Octavius, either.” Maecenas added.

Sure, Octavius hated Caesar…but that was also not meant to be public knowledge. Octavius had hid it from Caesar, after all, for so long and so well the man adopted him as his son. Cunning son of a bitch. It was part of why Maecenas loved him so.

“Oh.”
That tradition was indeed lost to the English.

Angelus didn’t understand any of it, and when the Master suggested it might be the manipulator, Angelus took the thing off his wrist and handed it to the Master. It wouldn’t be the manipulator, of course. Angelus’s mind had decided literally nothing was going to penetrate it—and that meant the benign TARDIS’s attempt to translate things. “Dixon was able to run a translation program on it. Can the manipulator translate oral words?” Everything read in English for Angelus, though it hadn’t in the past. It didn't matter that the Master probably didn't know who Dixon was, he didn't need to know who had helped.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 04, 2016, 09:13:36 pm »
The conversation was not as informative as the Master would have liked. He wasn’t a patient Time Lord (at least not in these circumstances), and so he wanted to know why he was called, and who had played a part in it. Something told him that even the information he was given was not complete. Being told to wait was not something he welcomed, but he knew better than to antagonize anyone from the get go. Still, he couldn’t avoid the need to clench his fists.

He fought back his temptation to glare, and instead redirected his attention and frustration to the manipulator that Ange passed on to him. It had been fixed - correctly so - and it so it shouldn’t be interfering with the translator. This was later confirmed by Ange, who claimed that Dixon was able to adapt a translator into it.

The Master noted the name, and shook his head. This wasn’t the problem, which meant that it was Ange’s mental situation that was the problem. Perhaps he was like his sister, perhaps even more so than Maya.

“It’s not a problem with the manipulator,” admitted the Master, “so it seems you won’t be able to understand anything the Romans say.”

That would be interesting. The Master may even enjoy himself in Ange’s desperation. He could only imagine how frustrating it would be to visit Rome, and be the only one left out of the loop.

After a few moments, the Master turned to Maecenas again, choosing to attempt diplomacy once more.

“If you are at liberty to say,” it almost pained him to be so flexible, “who else is involved in this?”

Whatever it was, it was not giving the Master a good feeling. He looked to Maya as they continued on, and he couldn’t help but worry for her. She had been through so much already that he didn’t want to put her through any more danger. They needed a break, all of them, and this was beginning to look more and more like a complication.

Elsewhere, a plot was amounting to something chaotic.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 04, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »
Angelus groaned at the Master’s answer and his inability to get this to work. No, once again, it was his own mind that was screwing everything up. ‘Thank you, Arch.’ Could Arch even hear him? Was Arch that separate from him?

Either way, there was no sensation that anyone other than himself had heard the thought. He strapped the manipulator back onto his arm and decided he’d just have to keep asking Maya what was going on.

Like what the hell the Master and Maecenas were talking about. Maecanas offered, “Myself, Caesar, and Agrippa, of course,” Maecenas said it as if those three names should always be together in any plot that involved one. “I suspect Antonius has been informed, whether or not he’s involved,” Maecenas allowed his shoulders to shrug, “Lepidus has been informed, as well, but Lepidus is hopeless,” so no threat, no worry, and for all intents and purposes, not involved. “Anything Antonius knows tends to get to Cleopatra. No idea why.”

Another reason Octavius hated Antonius. Antonius was, technically, married to Octavius’s sister.

“What are they saying?”
Angelus did ask Maya.

“Talking about who’s involved in what’s up here. Octavius, Antonius, Maecenas, Agrippa, Lepidus, and Cleopatra.”

“Uh huh,”
most of those names meant nothing to Angelus. “Isn’t Agrippa some sort of epic warrior?” Odd he’d ask it about Agrippa and not Antonius.

Maya just shrugged. She didn’t really know that name all that well.

The manor was in sight then, the one they had met Caesar in last time. It seemed the one who took up his name, also took up his home.

“I’ll take you right to Caesar,”
Maecenas said as they passed through the gates, by the stationed guards in armor like Angelus.

Once they stepped through the doors into the villa, a shout was heard, “YOU CAN’T KICK ME OUT OF ROME, BOY!”

Marcus Antonius was throwing a fit. “Politics,” Maecenas said with a roll of his eye. Angelus just looked pleadingly at the pair who could understand what was going on. He just heard someone yelling, with no idea the intent behind the yelling.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 05, 2016, 02:31:59 am »
As Maecenas and the Master continued to speak, Maya translated to Ange. It was already starting to be bothersome, and the Master very quickly realized that he would not be amused by Ange’s desperation. It seemed like he would not be shy about asking questions to his sister, so it was probable that every conversation they would have would have to happen twice.

The Time Lord clenched his jaw and kept walking.

“Cleopatra, you say?” The Master seemed, for the very first time, intrigued.

It was as if everything had been set up perfectly, for he heard the voice of who could only be Antonius throwing a tantrum not far from where they were. The sound was amusing to him, but more so because it brought up the possibility that Cleopatra might be near. Well, if his suspicions were in fact correct. The Master didn’t like to remember how he was in his past life, but he did remember that Cleopatra had been one of the few humans he didn’t consider to be completely useless even back then.

Cleopatra’s history, though equally tragic and exciting, was still not enough to ever tempt him. It was an unspoken and unrecognized admiration.

“I completely understand,” the Master conveyed unto Maecenas as they walked further into the villa. “Someone is being kicked out,” he motioned to Ange, “and I have a feeling we’ll have more company than we originally intended.”

He would be right, for Cleopatra was also near. She had suspected that her savior would arrive soon, and she would not be willing to risk much more to keep her cards close to her chest. By Antonius she remained, and she waited for the perfect time to speak. She would waste no words in front of present company.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 08, 2016, 12:28:48 am »
The voice of the ‘boy’ could not be heard until the group actually entered the room, the trailing words of, “…is in Africa, it is only fitting that you govern your territories.”

“Govern my—WE sent Lepidus to Africa because HE tried to usurp the power of our triumvirate.” The dark-haired man was saying, standing and dressed in the white of a senator, while glaring at a boy with strawberry blonde locks who looked utterly bored. Besides him stood a man in full Centurion regalia, and besides the one who was obviously Antonius, Cleopatra.

The Egyptian attire gave it away.

As the doors opened, all eyes shifted, and Maecenas put on a huge grin and opened his arms. “Antonius, Your Grace,” he mocked Cleopatra, “What an unexpected surprise. Antonius, I didn’t think you’d be yelling so much after all the drinks you had last night.”

His cheeks reddened, and when he took a step towards Maecenas as the man made his way further in the bowl of the room, the Centurion besides the one sitting took just one step forward.

Antonius didn’t step any closer to the Etruscan, but snapped his eyes to the people who entered. He let out a short laugh, “Are we here to execute the rest of the traitors?” He inquired, looking to the boy.

“Who is everyone here?”
Angelus asked in a whisper to Maya.

She was quick, “I know that’s Marcus Antonius. I think that’s Cleopatra. The one sitting must be Augustus,” it was the name she knew him by, even if it was not yet his name. “Not sure who’s standing by him.” Though he seemed like someone she wanted to upset even less than Antonius. It was in his posture, and his youth.

The boy rose. He did not stand as tall as Antonius, and the youth was obvious. His blue eyes, however, held a spark to them that was intriguing, even if he was so pale he might be sickly. Compared to Antonius, he hardly looked intimidating. “Triumvir Antonius, it is time you left.”

“No. If we’re treating with traitors now, I will be present.”

We are not.”

“Is this political business? I don’t see how you could have personal business with them,”
he stated, “Unless you’re thanking them for killing your father.” He spat the word, but despite its venom, no blood rushed to taint the youth’s cheeks in anger.

Instead, he gestured, “Agrippa, see them out.” He wanted a private audience with the time travelers. 

"Agrippa,"
Maya then said to Angelus, who nodded.