Paragraphite

Helter Close OOC Read 1477 times

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
Helter Close OOC
« on: April 03, 2020, 08:36:33 pm »
Hello beautiful forum!

It's been a while but I have ideas and I want to play.

I'm making a small town deep in a dark forest thread. I want witchy families and scary monsters and old old grudges and I have a plan.

HELTER CLOSE

Strange things happen in Helter Close. The only town in these woods, and in some directions--the woods never end. People have gone in and never come out. People have gone in and come out different. And more often than anyone would like, things have come out of the woods. For as long as the town has stood, four families have protected it. The townsfolk have always whispered, but these whispers aren't rumors--they're true and everyone that lives there believes it.

Sentinel Families are the four magic bloodlines in Helter Close.

If they leave the woods, move away for university or just to get away from the family, they’ll lose whatever powers they have and forget all the supernatural elements of Helter Close. That doesn’t mean they can’t ever come back, some families might even have relatives that have gone away to have normal lives outside Helter Close and come back for holidays—completely oblivious to the supernatural things they grew up with. It’s not uncommon for members of the Sentinel Families that didn’t get powers to leave—either because their family pushes them out or just because they have no pressure to stay and protect the town.

Eaton

The Eaton totem is the stag. They own the logging company, the primary source of income for the town. The Eatons live in a manor backed up to the eastern woods and facing Helter Close, symbolic of their position as protectors of the town. They take their position seriously, family members often serving on city council or as mayor or sheriff.

Laurent

The Laurent totem is the crow. They live farthest from the town, often considered odd even for Helter Close. They would probably be shunned if their family’s particular gift for healing didn’t keep people coming back to them for favors. Run by their two matriarchs, a pair of very old sisters who are often found either knitting or cleaning their shotguns. The kids of the family rarely finish school, but are usually well read—the house full of books and getting no internet service. They have one landline phone and an old radio that mysteriously still plays music and talkies from the 1930’s—just like the old ladies prefer things.

Medici

The Medici totem is the wolf. Some of the Medici's have fangs. And some have had wolf eyes. Lots of rumors circulate about why, from the idea that they were once wolves in the forest turned human, to it being nothing but a false aesthetic to intimidate.

Carver

The Carver totem is the viper.

Possible Ideas to Add Drama to Your Character!

• Left the family, forgot everything, and returned. Alternatively, could be the teen of someone who left only to come back to this hot mess. OR a whole extended family group.
  • A bastard of one of the Sentinel Families, only able to prove it when they start showing powers.

Obviously by the gaps, I’m hoping to flesh this out with input! Ideas for family histories and specific powers and monsters are welcome!

And for characters, add notes about what the rest of the people might know about them—their scandals or rumors or well-known secrets. And let’s build some past drama and grudges to make everything super interesting! Feel free to do some brainstorming in the OOC.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:58:09 pm by Ara »

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
Re: Helter Close
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 02:15:58 pm »
I am IN.  I had a bit of an idea for the Medicis, if it's agreeable -- would them being enforcers work?  Likeeeee, they do.... law enforcement, heavy-weight grunts/underlings under Eaton command.   Like kinda the physical force for Eatons? Idkkkkk.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 03:59:48 pm »
Jillibean! Yes, that sounds great. One of the ideas I was considering for the Medicis is that they were actually wolves in the woods before and one of the other families (Laurents) turned them into people back in the day, either because they needed the help or because of a debt of some kind. But all of that info is old legend now that not even all of the Medicis would believe. Oh! And the Eaton's own a logging company in whatever part of the woods is considered the safer part. They could have the Medicis out there to ward off anything extra scary from the woods that might come along and eat the workers.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:42:09 pm »
LOL, I love it!! I can't decide which family to throw my lot in with first.  D:  They're all so COOL.
 Medicis once being actual wolves though.... it's kinda the coolest, lmao.

:jill:
:pinkteapot:
:mlprainbow: :mlprainbow:
:crown:
:bluecat:

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 06:28:35 pm »
Constance Laurent and Ida Laurent haven’t been into town for at least two decades. They stay on the family property or the woods around it. They’re actually cousins but everyone refers to them as sisters. All of the Laurent children, whether fifty years old or five years old, call them Auntie. The Laurents don’t keep good track of their bloodline. No portraits or family registry to keep them in order. No mausoleum like the Eatons, just a patch of burial mounds in the woods with stones on them. All of Constance and Ida’s own children are long gone, and the youths of the house would be hard pressed to actually determine which of the aunties might be their own grandmother or great grandmother.

Noel Laurent is twenty-eight and gifted, but recently she's been fading. Dark hair and dark gray eyes.

Bellamy Laurent is twenty-six. Responsible for a Laurent, handling any family business for the Aunties and keeping track of everyone. Tall with dark, messy curls, and pale gray eyes.

Okay, the Laurents are healers (who can also do the opposite and inflict pain, illness, and death if they wanted) and do a fair bit of necromancy too—BUT they’ve kept the necromancy under wraps enough to have other families thinking it’s a rare gift in the family so not everyone keeps on coming back from the grave. I imagine their property crawling with twisted resurrected squirrels and shit though.

And keep in mind not everyone in a bloodline has the same talents or levels of power.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:23:15 pm by Ara »

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 06:39:05 pm »
Okay okay okay

This is so cool. I like the wolfies too.

Sooooo, what if the Laurent have issues with the Medicis or vice versa, or there's an agreement, and they tried turning a person into a wolf. Say, someone of the Medici's runts, like he's powerless and the only way to do something with him is enhancement. They figure why not. But it doesn't work. You can't turn people into wolves.

At first...

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 06:47:03 pm »
LOVE IT! We'll do that! The Medici (or the whole family) could have made some bargain with the Laurent to "resurrect" their inner wolf and then thought it didn't work.

AND I'm thinking the Medicis are stock holders in the Eaton Lumber Company, since the Eatons needed the Medidics to act as guards against the stuff in the forest. So they "work" hanging out around the lumber yard and warding off the scary shit in the woods?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:52 pm »
Necroing the wolf parts of him would be so awesome!

Aaaaaalso, for any of you guys, if you want to play a sickly Laurent crow who cant get well or eat, I have this storyline I'd love to try where recent wolf boy finds himself in the same room, and does that food chewing thing birds do for their young, but with bloody meat.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 07:06:52 pm »
Oh! Mine, please! I'm working on a starter post... I'm going to have a sickly Laurent, possibly cursed, going to the Carvers for fortune telling.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
Re: Helter Close OOC
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 09:59:28 pm »
Posted!! it's more of an intro than anything.... advancing, and just to throw Connie into the ring before you guys got bored waiting for me!!  I imagine that Verity and Connie run a family shop near Vera's Confectionery that sells... organic, homemade shampoos and soaps, things like that, and potions on the side, just quietly.  With some fortune telling thrown in.  At a price.  I like thinking the Carvers tend to keep their noses down and out of the way when it comes to...... town politics.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 06:53:33 am »
welcome Maib!

so excited for this shit!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 12:00:34 pm »
Okay! So we're doing the "Caleb Eaton is possessed" plot on the side and the longer he is in Helter Close and getting stronger, the more weird shit is going to happen and creepy things will be coming in closer than usual. And depending on how this goes, we could make the Eatons turn on the other families when they figure out what's going on.

I'm going to toss up more character info bits because I just made a bunch of random Eatons...

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 12:31:44 pm »
Ah, the Eatons are so miserable, I love them, LOL.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 12:35:25 pm »
Eatons

Henry Eaton is one of the heads of the Eaton family. Sixty-one. Salt and pepper hair.

Vivian Eaton. Fifty-eight. Mayor of Helter Close.

Claudette Eaton. Twenty-seven. Chairperson of Helter Close town council and bookkeeper for the Eaton Lumber Company. Pale blond, slender, with green eyes.

Wyatt Eaton. Thirty. Identical twin of Caleb Eaton. Manager at the Eaton Lumber Company. Sandy blonde hair and dark blue eyes.

Caleb Eaton. Thirty. Identical twin of Wyatt Eaton. Handles marketing for the family business. Married and has two kids.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 11:28:40 am »
i feel out of practise LOL, but ah well. :jill:

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 12:49:25 pm »
Nonsense! And I extra love rping with you two because I get to make all the side characters I want. I love them. I love those stupid side characters.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 10:49:19 pm »
Loved it Maib. And more people to die! haha no I wont maybe

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 03:56:27 pm »
Look, everyone's fair game, right?  I need to make more characters that can be in more places.....

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 10:47:14 pm »
please make, say, someone with a limp to trigger something in Vester.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 06:43:01 pm »
I did something. It doesn't have a limp but it is somewhat deer shaped... If that doesn't do it for him, we could injure someone on the street. haha

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 07:22:45 pm »
I mean sorta like a person to person interaction. But this works. haha. Got carried away.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 08:16:48 pm »
Haha, I can make a limper! For now though, I've made a Henry! A Henry Carver. He's not good at fortune telling.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 08:51:04 pm »
I like his gusto!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 10:53:52 am »
I have SO MANY CHARACTERS! I love them. I might kill some of them.

I'm thinking of having possessed Caleb kill his dad... and maybe his aunt... and maybe Wyatt and then pretend to be Wyatt...

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 07:31:43 pm »
action scene whoho!

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 03:09:32 pm »
i need to practise!! but i've posted, a paltry offering for the wait.  what if i made a Clarence classmate for him to bully??

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 07:18:55 pm »
it was good maib! haha, you could! I made a racist just for you after all.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 07:49:38 pm »
i have no idea what you could possibly mean by that.  /coughs

but i may or may not have offered up a new lamb to the slaughter... theoretically. 

:jill:

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2020, 09:48:45 pm »
I

LOVE

HEEIIIIIIIRRRRR!

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2020, 05:22:09 pm »
hehehe

Micah Laurent, 30.  Cousin or brother, it's not important.  He tried making a break for it a few years ago, but now he's back.  Keen hobbyist mechanic, though as a kid most Laurents don't get to be picky about their vehicles. Talented at inflicting people he doesn't like with illness.  Resents it, though.  Healing is harder, but doable.  Death is always easier, though.  Found work as a tradesman, an electrician.  It pays the bills.

Cassie Medici, 17.  Baby sister of the Medici pack. As a child, her leg was broken in an accident - an accident she doesn't talk about.  Now, when she's stressed or tired it gets harer to walk on. Dark hair and pale blue eyes.