News: 
Paragraphite

Thoroughbred Read 5433 times

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Thoroughbred
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 01:03:28 pm »
I am soooo hyped for all this! PARTAAAYY tonight.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 10:41:32 pm »
I'm making up random bits of past history and stuff as I go... let me know if you guys mind something and want it changed or whatever. I just figured more character interaction was better? Hahaha.

Also... are there any estate scandals that we should know OOC? I haven't thought of anything sordid in Jasmine yet, but I will of course inform as things arise. Should Cereus court know about Hayden, or is that like SUPER tight lipped and only some of the Hyacinth royals know?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 09:44:40 am »
You can decide entirely how Phellar have behaved against Fern. He's probably poked her subtly about anything on her own king, but she's good with her words. She's probably seen a few boys and girls be undone at his whim, just like the would-be Prima. He knows she's good with words, but that she's not a Wicker-tier soldier, so I don't think she's entirely safe from him, but he might not have done anything yet. Depending on your vision for Fern you, you can revise.

Phellar does have nefarious plans, but he's not told anyone. Cereus might know his softer sides, and that he's more excited than usual over this party, which in itself should be a bit alarming. Could be pertinent to spy and maybe make a few assumptions?

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 01:22:18 pm »
How long is Fern working for Chrysanthemum and what on earth did Idella get for that? He super hates it... Like, everything that could go wrong with one of his knights working for another King and how that could soooo easily spark war. Especially Phellar. Is it normal to mix and match the knights from houses? Or is she in fact a spy? Or is it something that they would have had to trade something for? Like Chrysanthemum gave Hyacinth something in exchange for loaning knights? Maybe they have a lack of knights?

I like the idea of sharing secrets and scandals OOC here so we know what should be in the rumor bank--especially for Scarlet. As far as Hayden, she probably suspects he's in the infirmary still since Idella goes there often and no one else can get into that ward. But that might not stop her from spreading or fanning rumors that he died and Wicker killed him--because that's kinda more alarming to people.

They wouldn't know the truth of what sparked it all though. The common rumors are that either Wicker is crazy or that Hayden did something vile that made her snap, she was pretty young at the start of it and she says herself it started a year before the day everything went wild, manipulating and plotting and bumping high ranking Hyacinths from their seats. So one of the common rumors would be that Hayden got handsy with Wicker, and she never confirms or denies any of the rumors so they're left to grow.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 01:58:17 pm »
more OOC! okay. I'm working on my post. I loooove how complicated relationships already are in this. I love all that backstory stuff.

Ven, would King Luna have sent a dress to Almi? And oh my god, they have to dance!

(I shouldn't post this yet because there's a solid chance I'll think of more stuff to say before I'm done writing my post but imma do it anyway...)

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:13 pm »
Mmmm... I sent Fern over because Verse had mentioned in his post about Phellar that he likes to hire knights from Hyacinth to stand post outside his parties and stuff. So I guess I was just accepting that this was a thing. I think maybe it's also just assumed that everyone is potentially a spy? So Fern could very easily be a spy for Hyacinth. I guess I was going to play it off as it's sort of just a "show" more than anything else. Like, if you've got the money to throw around to hire people outside of your estate I assume it's akin to showing off.

Would also be open to Fern getting killed off or otherwise shamed in some way that sparks conflict between Hyacinth and Chrysanthemum if desired. If you really don't like the idea of Hyacinth knights providing a presence at other estates, we can just go with the estates play nicer around the time of balls or something but Fern isn't typically at Chrysanthemum. I didn't really have strong plans with Fern yet. She and Wist are semi minor compared to Scarlett and Luna for me. Hahaha.

Also, YES Luna would absolutely have sent over something for Almi. Which, obviously, you can make up as you like. She probably would have sent over a full ensemble and some silly self-depreciating note about how Almi shouldn't feel obligated to wear it, of course, if she doesn't like it.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 04:44:50 pm »
I think I just had this romantic kind of knight idea in my head of them being loyal to their kings and courts, whereas if they trade them and work for hire for different courts it's more mercenary. Which isn't bad! I was just surprised. Maybe different knights go about it different? Some stick to home and some take other jobs? The knight hiring thing could also be like a show of good will between estates.

I'm so hyped for the party! <3<3<3<3<3<3

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
Yea, I like the idea of knights being symbols of loyalty and whatnot to their kings. It could definitely be the case that knights kind of take their jobs differently, but I was definitely going with the show of goodwill between estates policy... and probably reciprocation on the other side being a lot of money or other desirable favors. I'm assuming the knights themselves probably don't get paid for working at other estates?

Anyhow. Fern will be using her post to keep tabs on Chrysanthemum in whatever way she can. She could even report back to Wicker if we wanted to keep tangling things up.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 05:30:46 pm »
Sure! I mean, they'd know each other even if they do have different skills. Speaking of that, how do we want to go about duels? Like, the challenger gets to pick the kind of duel, but can the duel then be passed to another person to fight for the house? So that houses can always pick their best of the best for each duel? Or does the person challenged have to be the one that fights?

haha This isn't relevant at all yet, I'm just fleshing more stuff out.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 05:37:15 pm »
Ooooh... what if there was (sort of) the option of both. If a non-royal/non-titled student challenges another (this would include knights, perhaps) they have to fight the duel themselves. However, if a royal issues/accepts a duel for some reason, they could send whoever? Like Wicker might fight pretty much everything for Idella? It could be semi-common for people to issue duels to royals in an attempt to get attention or whatever, and losing to a champion would silence them.

I presume dueling can come in many forms, from debate to races to actual physical fights... and forcing somebody to duel in something they clearly have no skill in seems silly. So, maybe as a point of pride, if you issue a duel you can also provide the option of naming somebody else to fight in your place (titled or not)? I dunno. Not sure what works best... I'm open to suggestion.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 05:42:59 pm »
I like that non titled students just have to duke it out themselves for themselves. But because of the diversity of dueling forms, it seems like it'll be cooler if they can elect a champion. Maybe especially when it's between gardens and not inside them? So, like, if Fern challenged Wicker she'd just have to face whatever form Fern picked--probably lose--and then probably challenge Fern to something equally unfair in her favor afterward. lol But if Wicker challenged Scarlet, it would be between gardens and involve everyone and Scarlet could choose a champion.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 05:44:59 pm »
I'm down with that. Makes things a little more formal between estates.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 05:47:50 pm »
But leaves room for fun duels inside houses!

Oh my gosh. That should be a thing that's happened before. Because Wicker is more physical and Fern is a fountain of facts, they could have gone back and forth challenging each other to unfair duels before! I figure both can keep up on the physical/mental levels since they have a lot of the same schooling so it'll be fun events for the Hyacinth crowd to watch but of course they excel at different things.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 05:52:08 pm »
Ahahaha... They should definitely be like... really trope-y "we pretend we hate each other but everybody knows we're friends." They can bond over being competitive.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 08:17:36 pm »
Champion fighting is always a nice way to go about duels, but I think I'll have most of my fighters do their own fighting. That's probably not true in Hiev's case though. Poor boy.

And I'll definitely use Fern to further what I have planned for Phellar! You tell me if you don't like any direction things are going. I definitely won't wanna kill her, even though I'd LOVE to. Kinda wish I'd gone that way with the plot in my head now. Adorable, wordy Fern.

There is a part of his plan that would be a bit hard to execute if she was always watching him, so I'm thinking he'll have to take her out of commission for a moment during the party? Any ideas for that? Right now I'm toying with chloroform cloth, stun-drug laced kiss, or a quiet, private choke hold. I'm veering toward affectionate psychopath, as we're seeing, haha.

I think Phellar has been courteous with all houses. It's not like he's been king for forever, he's been struggling to get where he is now too. Mostly, he's doesn't have bad history with any of the higher-ups, but I feel like any ruler worth their salt can recognize him as a future problem.  I am open to any joint back story, though.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 10:35:20 pm »
Well, Fern is only on duty for another hour or so until she's back to Hyacinth. She's not likely to cause him trouble at the ball... but if she gets wind of anything later, if she's guarding at Chrysanthemum again or something, it could get a little tricky for him.

Is there anything in particular Scarlett should be dropping hints to Phellar about? I'll edit my post accordingly... but I don't know what she's privy to and what she's not/what your plan is for Rose v Chrysanthemum.

Also, I half way thought Fern would just be amusing near Phellar because I could see them arguing over Phellar's behavior. Fern is opinionated enough to bring it up if he ever acknowledges her. She's a little stuffy, too. So guarding at Chrysanthemum, particularly if its any of Phellar's private affairs, is probably kind of heathenistic to her. And, theoretically, Phellar should be less inclined to mess with her since she's a kinght of Hyacinth.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 07:09:37 am »
No roughness in secret for Fern then? Where will I get my micro drama before the show-stealer now! Well, I suppose Phellar's antics with have to do without an opening act. I'm looking forward to banter between him and Fern, instead.

She could prod him about the japanese journals he's been reading lately. Copies of old things from then powerful men. It seems that's been his only real interest lately, at least the only one he's serious about. He's been keeping it a bit of a secret, but not entirely locked up. He might get a bit testy.

We are all having good interactions, but I'd wanna ask when we're cutting toward the evening, so I can pace accordingly.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 11:09:02 am »
posts are getting long! I will shorten mine down as soon as there is room for that.

I think I'm falling in love with Lyanna. Any takers? I'll be content in continuing playing her on my own, of course. it's also not like we don't have enough players in this drama.

Plan is to force himself on Hiev when they're alone, by any convoluted scheme. he's learned it from a particularly misogynous "taming" literature, and believes it will steal Hiev's heart and make him like putty. If any of this would be available for Scarlett to figure out, there you go.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 01:36:07 pm »
Ven! Any chance King Luna and Almi might have a romance??

Verse. /sigh Poor Hiev...

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 01:58:08 pm »
Miss Tanaka.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2017, 07:49:53 pm »
Almi/Luna can totally be a thing. You thinking established or developing? Good fire for rumors!

I might make Scarlett guess at Phellar's plans at least somewhat... maybe she drops a hint to Fern.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2017, 07:53:05 pm »
I'm thinking developing? Almi's kinda oblivious to that kind of thing. She's really good at relationships but she's never really done romantic ones. She gets shy and skittish. It should be ADORABLE! lol as opposed to the rest of my characters which will be heathenous horn dogs.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2017, 07:55:04 pm »
Oh, what a lovely fit. Luna is so muted and laced up too. And prone to fretting. Perfect perfect, she'll be fun next to Almi.

Verse, I wouldn't hate to take up Lyanna because I'm a sucker for writing dancers... but it's up to you of course!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 08:24:50 pm »
OF COURSE you can have Lyanna. You did name her.

This romance sounds adorable and sweet. Will Cereus know of it? How public would this be? Will you guys be adding outside friction or shall we protect this?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2017, 09:17:31 pm »

Hermes Duke of Rose

Decided dancing was his calling at an early age, and wanted to learn all of the forms. Still entertains some contemporary off-shoots of the expression but stays mostly with his ballet training. He has good form, and could probably teach you, and is an aspiring talent at his company. Has been told on a few occasion that he's not necessarily passionate when he moves, even though he moves correctly. That will upset him. His ego has yet to be threatened that much but judging from a few outbursts after some competitions that didn't entirely turn out in his favor, he is a Primadonna waiting to happen.

Partnered with Lyanna and has been dancing with her ever since. It seems their styles do well together, but even the head of their company has hinted at them having the same strengths. He sees the beauty in her lines because it reflects his own ideal. That is, from the outside, without a doubt why he has a hard time going to the next level.

He likes soccer, and plays sometimes, but never in excess, so as to not see it get in the way of his other training. Has had a weakness for angular blondes for a while now, and eats shawarma on his cheat days. Like any other art-inclined student at Versailles, who isn't a titan of a prodigy, he gets some lip from the business minded populous. He figures he'll do well enough on some side investments and perhaps buy a company when his legs give.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:26 pm »
scruffy. Don't say I never gave you nothin'

now I have to study ballet terms.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2017, 09:27:11 pm »
Oh, it's like early Christmas! He's lovely. I do like scruffy. It has to be scruffy or full bish, really. This is such a treat.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2017, 09:30:28 pm »
I came off a little douchy in my last post! It was meant to be said in a chipper voice, I promise! I am of course excited.

was considering this guy

but then I thought that'd be unfair to put up against Phellar. Could have played the possible sibling angle, then, though.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2017, 09:47:34 pm »

Lyanna.
Chrysanthemum.

Untitled, but she’s never been ambitious about anything but dance. She’s always been down to earth, in so much as a girl who’s never wanted for anything can be, and gets along well with Hermes. Lyanna’s practical nature has been unflappable, heavily influencing the precision of her dancing. She’s perfectly by the book, which frustrates her coaches, but she can’t seem to completely understand why. Sometimes, she commiserates with Hermes over it, frustrated that she’s not able to provide the “passion” they want. Her luck in love has been similarly cool, with more than a few suitors who have inevitably lost their interest in the dancing doll.

Lya is particularly close with Miss Tanaka, whom she often treats like an older sister. Jen Tanaka worries about her, because she also sees the lack of emotion in Lyanna’s dancing and is inclined to agree with her coaches. Lya could be shrewd at business and build an empire of schools and dancing world essentials, but she’s never shown exceptional promise as a moving dancer. Lyanna would be heartbroken if she knew. It does seem like there’s still hope, though. On the rare occasion Lyanna can be swayed toward dancing with her heart rather than her head, she can be breathtaking.

She is weirdly self-conscious about her height, though she’s neither exceptionally short nor tall, and likes to wear tall heels when she’s off the stage.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:16 pm »
ohhh hardly. And he would've been great. Like... inferiority complex toward Phellar much? Also yea. They totally look like they could be related. At the very least they look like they'd be a perfect match on stage.