News: 
Paragraphite

{Majik Punk} Read 8278 times

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
Re: {Majik Punk}
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2017, 06:30:28 am »
Savage! Why do I want to see this happen now?

I've been sorta making it so that hards will be easies. I also give myself two tries, one on strength and one on speed/dexterity, to symbolize saevir and syn.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2017, 03:00:18 pm »
Oh my. Well. That certainly changes how things have been going. I'd been assuming that boar was a 20 so I was rolling him +5 and keeping my usual base stats, no advantage.

Usually even with bonuses you wouldn't change the tier of the encounter. You'd just have for yourself extra bonuses (like rolling with advantage). The characters already have fairly good starting stats so yea... I suppose we'd be one-shotting everything that way. Hahaha

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2017, 03:33:19 pm »
should I modify how I roll then? I could easily do that but in my mind it was weird that having an artifact didn't do anything.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2017, 08:47:38 pm »
Doesn't matter to me, really. It'd just be good to be consistent. Like... Aveline is already knighted and all. I don't think it makes a ton of sense for her to be really crappy relative to Elvan, so if you're heavily modifying your rolls I probably should too. So, I don't mind whatever mechanism you want to use I just want to make sure I'm doing the same.

I wonder if it might work a bit better to add something like... when fighting with artifacts  we can roll with advantage (like you've been doing) and then also we can roll a d6 to see what extra bonus artifacts are giving? I don't think it makes sense to drop monster difficulty just because then, like, what's the point of monster difficulty? I dunno. Just a thought. Otherwise, what is our criteria for how "easy" we decide generally hard monsters become? Are we just going with blanket all monsters are easy if fighting with artifact?

You had the like Dawn/Dusk/Midnight class thing so maybe you should assign what their difficulties are? I was just kind of guessing at random.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 09:55:38 pm »
how about dawn is easy, mid-day/noon is medium, and dusk is hard? and then we use the d6 for advantage like you say. You should boost Aveline like you say, maybe even with a higher dice for modifier if you want, I'd ask to keep my current stats because this was already too complicated for me when I couldn't find the reset button on the dice roller, haha.

I think midnight class or pitch-black category should be reserved for like, final bosses, and then I think we should just write those story-wise, it'd be kinda dissatisfying to auto-die in the last moment. That's just how I'm going to do that though, if we get there, there's no stopping you using dice at any point.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2017, 10:02:55 pm »
That all works fine for me. I wouldn't want to change stats or anything either. Mostly setting monster difficulty is helpful. I like keeping the big "boss" battles story driven, but I feel like all necessary plot points are going to ignore the dice.

Butttt yea. Boosting Ava a little so she's at least at even competency with Elvan will help. Her stats are "similar" to his, so I think just adding artifact rolls will even things out. Cool cool. I've been dying to write my post all day, but work has been killer. Bahhh

EDIT: Ava got natural crits PLUS her bonus today. I kind of gave one of them to Tali to make the scene cooler, but. No dead knights yet.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:54:33 pm by VenomousEve »

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2017, 08:59:15 am »
rolling on hard is hard. I don't know if I should roll for every move or if I should just roll one for the entire attack. Any poops, chance element.

Cougal is having fun.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2017, 03:08:00 pm »
I tend to roll for various attacks, since I tend not to roll very "good" and it just leads to a lot of missed blows and dodging and stuff. That was my "cheat" for making sure Aveline wasn't getting her ass kicked by beasts she should theoretically be able to handle. Hahaha

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2017, 04:42:09 pm »
I rolled quite well for Ava, and Tali passed a dex check to sneak into the temple, but things have gone downhill from there. Dun dun dun.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2017, 09:55:09 pm »
No dice this time! So much drama, though. Mmmmmmmm...

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2017, 10:43:35 pm »
Aveline/Cougal and Aveline/Nystali are my black horse ships. I am sorry, but also not.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2017, 07:53:48 am »
And let's not forget this constellation

Reverse Stockholm? I suppose that's just called a kidnapping...

I probably should have rolled charisma on this, but the point was to cause the opposite effect, yes?

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2017, 03:58:12 pm »
Oh my gosh, like, a corrupted Tali who ends up being too much for him to handle? Yes pleeeasssee

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2017, 07:53:01 pm »
You know I love that kind of stuff! Bring it, if we can fit it in! I do see some crazy in Tali.

I rolled a 4 on wisdom when he first is trying to read her mood, so, he is as dumb as he's been playing. But then I rolled 20! So suddenly he's a fricken mind reader, that's were I left off and I think I'm going ride it for a while.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2017, 10:18:26 pm »
full disclosure, I'm not rolling on any of this right now... I feel like character interactions should be whatever the heck we want. I think I'm only going to roll for "NPC" and external encounter type stuff. Would you prefer if I roll for these interactions? I don't mind doing that too, but I didn't want to remove our control over these elements of the story, per se. I do like your take on the wisdom roll for noticing unspoken things about each other though. Should I start incorporating that? What's your preference here?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2017, 12:04:43 am »
You don't even know how much I agree. Honestly, I think I might have said I just didn't roll if I hadn't rolled a 20 after that 4, haha.

I meant to take him to see Nystali, but I thought there was a moment to be had with Aveline first as I wrote it out.

Now I want pork on rice.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2017, 08:22:44 pm »
When she says "destroy the Star Blade" she probably means "bring down an entire corrupt empire that's forcing Kin and artifacts into servitude." But. That's fine, right?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2017, 08:09:29 am »
Either way, he's game.

Oh, Elvy. Why you so conflicted, dude?

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2017, 05:07:32 pm »
Ok, so I've been trying to figure out the whole artifact pulling and how it relates to Elvan's reluctance to pull Nystali's. Based on the lore we've been running, it's obvious that Kin don't necessarily die when the artifacts are pulled, they just suffer to some extent. And then I was thinking, well there was also the whole... the more harmonious the relationship the less injury (and more guilty crown-esque) the artifact removal causes. Which I still like, in the sense that I picture Tali's parents drawing Syn and Saevir from each other and fighting off the Spawn that attacked without really hurting each other. Kind of an in-the-moment thing where their hearts were of perfect accord.

But that all kind of means like... why is Elvan so against taking her artifact, right? Like, it might just hurt for a little while and then be fine.

Again, stealing from Guilty Crown here, maybe if the artifact breaks before the Kin dies... that would kill the Kin? So maybe part of the issue is Elvan doesn't want to be like, using her artifact and then it breaks and he's basically killed her? That plus whatever pain he'd still cause her when he pulled the artifact, even if they were pretty "harmonious" or whatever. And also, I guess he doesn't "totally" believe her, right? So he might be worried she has some really lame artifact that he'd put her through injury for for nothing or something? I dunno. What were your thoughts on Elvan's psyche?

NOW. The only reason I bring this up, mostly, is because I was thinking like... if that persistent reluctance ends up being so integral to their relationship that probably is really what ends up killing Tali when he pulls the artifact in the end, right? They create this perfect storm of magical and visceral release of her artifact that destroys her. It also makes an artifact powerful enough that there's really no likelihood of it breaking.

Just... in the vein of over-protectiveness being the ultimate undoing. And. Stuff? Or maybe I was chasing the wrong direction/motivation here? I just wasn't sure. SO.

Long story short, what is Elvan actually scared of? I feel like Tali needs to know (at least to a point) if they've kind of argued about it before. I assume it might drive a lot of her feelings on the issue. Whether she's sympathetic to him or not and that kind of thing.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »
I think the artifact breaking and thereby killing the kin would be a big reason why Elvy doesn't think too fondly of taking her artifact. He's also seen what happens to kin that are robbed. Mostly there's a dissonance between hurting her to gain power. He also believes that their artifact would be great, but that he also knows his shaken and torn heart. If the knight isn't true to himself, how could they be in tune? He's seen what a dark soul can do to Kin when a weapon is extracted, and he fears he's not competent enough to ensure her safety. I'm also going to throw in some "Am I destined to be a knight, or was I meant to be someone who protect Nystali." and then, to doubt your own path as a knight, he'd definitely not be sure drawing the artifact wouldn't hurt her.

Short: he's afraid the dissonance within himself will get in the way of the artifact being drawn cleanly, and that he quietly believes there's too much power in their artifact to take such a thing lightly. Cruel that he's let her think she had no believers until Cougal proved her potential.

In their arguments, he could have hinted at all this like "What if I'm not the knight you think?" or "What if I'm unworthy?" but mostly he's been like "We don't need it yet, I'll be fine with what weapons are available." which is a cop out.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:41 pm »
Ah, perfect. How juicy! Silly Elvan. I can see Tali basically sitting there like: "but, fate." She'd be sympathetic for his lack of faith in himself, but frustrated that nothing she says helps him reconcile. She'd also find that's she doubts herself more, because his explanation seem to imply to her that she might not be worth much/worth the effort of pulling her artifact. Yay!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2017, 08:56:18 am »
It'd be awesome if the boil-over could come soon. Slaaaaap. I am writing fan-fics about it in my chaotic head!

And blood cough! swoooooon. Blood cough is always a good move. As their frustrations grow, maybe they get closer physically, her state would probably worse, right?

If you want to you can skip to evening in the new town/city when they arrive.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2017, 10:28:27 pm »
The real question here is, how comfortable are Ava and Elvan with each other really? I do fully intend Ava to make passes at Elvan until she dies so. I mean. Sorry? But not really.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2017, 08:37:23 am »
I think they're comfortable enough for most kinds of physical contact. Maybe so much so that Elvan might not detect any other intent until things have gone quite some distance. That could be a peeve of hers, or I guess she could use it to her advantage. He's only a man, after all, even if he might misinterpret things as "comfort" rather than advances.

I tried to wingman Ave in this. Not sure if I helped. Masterfull traveling post by the by, very effective. More of that!

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2017, 05:41:55 pm »
Quite fine, because I don't think Aveline knows what she's getting at anyhow... too much self-denial in these three, no?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2017, 09:59:01 pm »
haha! Yes. this triangle decidedly has corners that point want to leave.

edit: it's not impossible Elvan will makes moves too, and not know why.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2017, 05:34:38 pm »
this has to be our final boss

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2017, 05:38:44 pm »
Heck yes. Last boss confirmed.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2017, 10:38:46 am »
you can move things along if you want to!

I think they should come back to a drunk Tali, haha

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2017, 04:34:48 pm »
I mean, was there really another option? Of course she's gonna be drunk!