News: 
Paragraphite

{Majik Punk} Read 6581 times

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
{Majik Punk}
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:31:00 pm »
Verse! I made this to help with all the dice rolling shenanigans, since you said you would need some teaching! I took primary inspiration from DnD, but I've super simplified it to fit what we're trying to do. I hope this helps! (White text is most important to reference back to, if that makes this less ridiculous).

Rules for Rolls:

Abilities/Stats

I took the following ability categories from the DnD 5th edition:

Strength (measuring physical power)
Dexterity (measuring agility)
Constitution (measuring endurance)
Intelligence (measuring reasoning and memory)
Wisdom (measuring perception and insight)
Charisma (measuring force of personality)

These are the “quick descriptions” describing any character/creature encountered in a world. For us, I think this keeps things simple and the categories are broadly applicable. A full DnD character sheet is broken down quite a bit more than this, but I don’t think that’s necessary if we’re just using dice to… flavor (?) the thread a bit. I think I would interpret them like this (I’m being overly specific, probably, but I figure super clarity is better?):

Strength – rolled whenever encountering a task that would be more physically or magically difficult to accomplish than “normal”. I would not roll to see if I successfully carried a heavy bag somewhere, but I would roll if I were trapped beneath a huge wooden beam and attempting to push it off myself. For situations requiring magic, we can roll a secondary die for a modifier/bonus of this stat maybe? A normal person might lack a modifier/bonus entirely, where a Harbor Kin might roll a d4 or more, depending on their connections with their artifact/magic whatever. We can assign appropriate modifying/bonus dice to the artifacts themselves as well. Alternatively, we can treat magic like a class bonus and just add a straight value to this stat, but I don't know that it would be the best idea. Some issues of strength wouldn't make sense to employ magic... so I feel like it should be associated with an extra dice roll.

Dexterity – Dodging, being nimble, and sneaking. Countered by Wisdom (perception). In general, I think this will require rolls, because there is always the potential of being caught or not making it out of the way in time. We can restrict it, if you like, if you think it will become obtrusive.

Constitution – Outrunning guards, etc. Possibly also used to calculate some penalties after a long day of traveling or something like that? We can think on this one.

Intelligence – Recognizing important bits of history or lore, probably identifying artifacts, and knowing details about new cultures. I think this is going to come down to knowing our own characters. I think I wouldn’t roll on knowing about some cultural custom if my character is an avid anthropologist. However, if I’m a country bumpkin that’s not well-read, I’ll probably roll if I think I’d like to “conveniently remember that fact about this newly encountered town that some traveler we passed told us yesterday.”  Also, even if my character is an avid anthropologist, I’d roll if I wanted to recognize some strange cultural artifact behind enemy lines… because perhaps studying that group has been difficult due to information suppression and a lack of encounters. So… this one is trickier for our thread, I think, but worth playing with?

Wisdom – Did you find the hidden thing? Did you hear the man sneaking around the room at night? This is definitely more perception than insight, and perhaps we should just call it perception. I feel it would be a little uncomfortable to constrain our characters’ insight into situations with dice rolls, as it’s kind of personality driven what they’d get from a given circumstance. I’m open to adjusting that view, of course.

Charisma – Intimidating or charming yourself into or out of situations. We can use these rolls exclusively when dealing with strangers (first encounter only) and enemies. I think once the precedence of how gullible/charmed/afraid an “NPC” is, we can write them however we like from there. I suspect too much dice rolling on this front might break story immersion due to erratic behavior?

What’s Normal?

OKAY. So… there are some suggestions for interpreting stats. I think the DnD “norm” for what typical stats are is pretty good. Humans tend to range 10-11 points in a given category. This would be a good starting place, obviously with maybe one above and below average skill. “Adventurers” can range up toward 20 points in a category, which perhaps we can “level” toward after major plot occurrences. Become the symbol of resistance, gain some points in charisma… whether we like it or not! That kind of thing. The creatures we encounter could have scores up to 30 in each ability category. I think we should restrict human enemy parties to the 20 point limit as well.

To determine the scores of the “NPCs” we encounter, we can just roll dice for each of the 6 categories. For normal people, roll a d12 6 times. For competent human enemies, roll a d20. For (big) creatures, roll a d20 and a d10. This is part of why I think we should record rolls in the OOC… that way I can be checking rolls using the same NPC scores you are!

What do These Scores Mean?

Scores are basically going to equate to their modifiers. These are determined by ranges, and a la the DnD 5e manual again, a score of:

1 gives a -5 modifier.
2-3 gives -4
4-5 gives -3
6-7 gives -2
8-9 gives -1
10-11 gives +0
12-13 > +1
14-15 > +2
16-17 > +3
18-19 > +4
20-21 > +5
22-23 > +6
24-25 > +7
26-27 > +8
28-29> +9
30 > +10

How to Roll!

OKAY. Essentials: if the event does not involve another character, decide whether your encounter is very easy (5), easy (10), medium (15), hard (20), very hard (25), or pretty much impossible (30). Roll a d20, and add/subtract the modifier for your relevant stat.

I’m stuck under a beam, so my task is hard (20). I roll a d20 and get a 19. However, my strength is a 9, so I get a -1 modifier. This gives me an 18 checked against a 20. I’m lower, so I fail and I can budge the beam a little, but remain pinned.

NPC encounters will be similar. However, we’ll treat them like characters with unique stats. Based on your stats, you’ll apply the appropriate modifier to your roll (again, using a d20). Do the same for the NPC you’re checking against (remember, we’ll have already rolled for their 6 ability stats). This is basically a contest check in DnD.

Now, if there’s a tie… current status is maintained. Like, say you’re trying to hold a door shut and a guard is trying to push his way in. The check is tied, so the door stays closed. You’re sneaking and a guard might hear you, but the check ties. The guard doesn’t hear you. You and an enemy leap to grab a weapon off the floor. Your dex check ties, so neither of you successfully snatches the weapon.

For the sake of simplicity, we can scrap the advantage/disadvantage aspect of rolls based on secondary skills. HOWEVER, it might be worth preserving for things like… sneaking up on somebody (like the previous example) or having some influential knowledge over somebody else. These are things we’d already know from previous rolls. I successfully snuck into a castle, so I’m advantaged if I want to attack. I have the element of surprise. If you’re advantaged, it just means you get to make your roll twice and take the high of the two rolls. If you’re at a disadvantage, like I failed a check for escaping a guard and I’m now trying to talk my way out of it…. Take the lower of the two rolls.

Since we aren’t playing with classes, we can scrap anything to do with bonuses and stuff like that too. We’ll literally JUST play with modifiers and simplistic advantage/disadvantage. I’d like to distill our checks down to, basically, ability checks too. This way, it’s more like some chance in the outcome of decisions and less a rigid sacrifice of the plot to what the dice say. Honestly, I think it will carry us through combat and group interactions and all of that just fine. If we’re moving each other’s characters and need to make a check, just use the character sheets to get the correct modifier and that’s it!

There are TONS of ways to convolute dice rolling and checks and attributes… but I think they’d just bog down our story. So, I think if we just stick to this, it will streamline things while still accomplishing what we wanted to with the dice.

I know this was a monster post for something like rules, so here’s the cheat sheet:

-   Create character sheet with your 6 stats. Refer to normal ranges for ideas.
-   Encountering environmental events: decide on event difficulty, roll a d20, and adjust your score with the appropriate modifier. Score above, you succeed. Below, you fail.
-   Encountering characters/enemies/creatures: Roll appropriate dice to determine “NPC’s” 6 stats. Roll a d20 for yourself and the NPC. Whoever rolls higher succeeds.
-   Ties keep the status quo.
-   Advantage/disadvantage means roll a d20 twice and take the higher or lower roll, respectively.

I will be using this dice roller! As you can see, it gives you a spot to type in your modifier, and will show you previous rolls on the right hand side. So... nice and easy to use!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
Re: {Majik Punk}
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:07:16 pm »
Wow. Thank you so much for that. It was actually very neatly laid up! roll d20's and ad whatever you stats let you, hope for higher than your "obstacle" rolls, their ad-ons included.

Sorry you had to write all that, but it did help me a lot. And such a cute digital dice!

This sheet we're making should not be restricted by dividing a normal amount of points for beginners, right? Since either of our characters would be better versed than normal people in any ole' thing, since they've had lives prior to this adventure. Like, if he's a knight hopeful, he'd probably have built the strength without another part of him suffering, right?

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:13:39 pm »
I would say so. Now... I think I'd probably aim a little conservative, in the sense that a normal person is, say, a 10 on strength. He'd probably get some bonuses from his training... but he's not a knight yet and he's not traveled the world and encountered all that much yet. So... probably a 12-14 range rather than a 17-20. A 20 is like... an experienced knight who's seen some shit.

But yea... I'm thinking we base stats on character personality and background rather than capping a set number of allowable points. Just because I might have a physically weaker character doesn't necessarily mean I'd be like... way more charismatic than the knight hopeful or something.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:46:18 pm »
I discussed this with ara and we decided there should be a penis category. It wouldn't really do anything, but you know, it takes two d20. It's more for player motivation. If I roll a 5 when I need a 10 on strength and loose the fight, it'd be nice if the penis gauge is at 18 at least.

On another note...

Yeah, I wasn't just wanting to add stuff to make him a force in a fight, I was just wondering where the cap should be. What are your plans for your character? I realized we've not given you a lot to go on, which could be seen as freedom, but as it stands, things seem a little unfair, since mine's a knight hopeful. I suppose being harbor kin would give her some sway, and I am betting her knowledge of legendary weapons and such lore is a lot better than his. and being what she is might make her a better person to lead with when engaging in friendly negotiations.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:01:00 pm »
Would it be concerning if my character rolled a crit on the penis category? Does that buff her ability to intimidate?

Also, I have been thinking on the background of my character for a bit. I am torn, and meant to ask you for some context. I think she'd be a scholar, and not much of a fighter. Being, more or less, the potential vessel of a ridiculously powerful weapon and only able to produce it under duress... I could see her avoiding conflict. I am imagining someone who has been raised in an almost priestly fashion. Something of a lore keeper and town treasure, but only to those who believe she's even Harbor Kin/one of any worth. Perhaps her mother gave the town one of its lesser artifacts. You wanted their home to have been protected by kind of weak artifacts anyhow, right?

I think it would be fun if she has that kind of background, and that's how your knight hopeful knows her, and then she's suddenly a lot more scrappy and rambunctious once they're on the road. She'd be charismatic in the deceptive sense, putting on her priestess facade as needed, and well-read on cultures and lore. I see her getting herself into a lot of trouble, honestly. Would this be acceptable? I wasn't sure about the priestess angle, given that I don't know what the culture of the world/their hometown is. I say priestess for the aesthetic, mostly.

Also, what is the environment like? I'm envisioning something middle eastern, honestly, or desert like, for their hometown. I don't know. What was your vision? Naturally, I'm sure there are plenty of environments to encounter, but I guess the over arching feel of the world is what, exactly?

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:07:05 pm »
Also, if Ara wanted to play or make "NPCs" for us and add  them to the OOC thread so we had fun people to encounter that would be cool! I know she's probably super busy, so maybe doesn't have time for the thread, but if she wants...?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:13:52 pm »
I think a crit on the penis category would simply end the game. It is either so bad nothing else can save it, or so good there is no reason to go on.

I love everything you said about the priestess. it also puts you, as in Ven, in a position to inject lore as you see fit, which is lovely world building. Should we post "facts" and such here as we come across them and are inspired, as we did with mis, or should we just throw things out ic and just leave it there?

I saw the world as grass plains and trees, with random castles plopping up here and there. A very simple(ton?) way of making a fantasy-esque world. It seems yours is a bit less happy, which I like, and a lot less vegetative. So something in between?

How do we feel about the mounts of this world? Do they have special ones, or are we keeping it to horses? They can be traveling by foot for some of it, of course.

And Ara is busy. She's writing her sci-fi. she's camped by the computer and growing a beard right now. It's very rugged. RIP romance.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 09:47:36 pm »
In between world it is, then! I like the idea of bits of lore, NPC characters, towns, etc being put up here like we did with Mis. It felt very cohesive and I felt I got the bonus of playing with world building that may or may not have ever even come up IC.

I have no strong thoughts on mounts, besides maybe lesser beasts that have been tamed with town artifacts could be used here and there. Perhaps they require magic to tame and are therefore expensive? I don't know. I'm fine with sticking, at least predominantly, to horses and whatever mechanical transportation they've developed in the magic-punk fashion. You had sent me down a rabbit trail with mentioning FF aesthetics a while ago, so I'm half-way picturing chocobos everywhere. Hahaha. Perhaps we should have our own equivalent. A non-horse creature that is the standard mount of the world.

Good luck to Ara in her beard-growing then. I'd not want to interrupt such a thing. Francisco is very adept at beard-growing and he dislikes interruptions.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 10:09:33 pm »
OH, I'll work on the mount then, and maybe scour pinterest for a fitting idea. We do need our own staple. Could sew it well in the story by them being a bit like a plague in their adolescence, in that they can decimate the grass meant for other animals.

not that, but the shape the last one cuts is kinda workable.

So. The state of the world is a bit scattered, since there are forces that are trying for political power (the rising power) and then there is this war for artifacts, which sometimes ends up with people keeping the weapons hostage so there is a shortage of weapons available to protect from the great beasts. And then there's the wars, which could be mainly between one-person armies, provided they have the right artifact. Also people are scrambling to find harbor kin, even though this market is rife with charlatans. I could see some places trying to breed and purify harbor kin, like towns and monasteries and such.  Makes for a fine powder keg to me.

I also want there to be great lands that are only inhabited by beasts, or maybe just one beast in some cases.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
Yay mount ideas!

So, are the weapons like.... attached to their harbor kin? I'm getting a Guilty Crown type vibe, which I like, but I didn't want to be imagining the wrong thing. Hahaha.

If a kin dies, does their artifact disappear? Can it show up again in subsequent generations? Do we think the home town people uniformly accept my character as a harbor kin that hasn't manifested an artifact yet? Do the kin typically fight with their own artifacts, or do other people use them...? And I assume the artifacts are kind of separate. It's not like the kin physically become the artifacts, they're just the source/connected with them, right?

What usually draws out artifacts, and is it the same for everyone? Can the kin control it to any degree? What is the tie with the artifact's physical health. If my character requires volatile interaction to manifest her artifact, as you've suggested, what happens to the artifact if like... I don't know. If my character is murdered or something?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 07:09:10 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2fkzaM52s is how I envisioned getting an artifact from Harbor Kin. Skip to the 1:20:40 mark. It lasts for about 25 seconds. So yes, a little like guilty crown.

Since you'll be playing Harbor Kin, this is entirely up to you though. In my vision I imagined her on one arm and the weapon in the other in the end, but that's also up for negotiation. It could be fun to have the weapon before the end, in which case she survives the process but it'd also be a nice thing to work toward as our final scene - the greater the artifact, the greater the strain on the kin. So it's drawn, the kin does not become it. Could be like that in some artifacts though, if we want.

The kin can only make the artifact with great emotion, that is why the weapon will ultimately be a reflection of their relationship to the weapon's owner. A great blade but with chips in it says something, or a glass dagger. True to anime, great weapons are big. And if she's murdered, that'd be a great emotional outburst, so it isn't unheard of that a weapon is "stolen" but then the weapon would be rather volatile, but perhaps that'd suit the personality of the murderer.

I also now see chained up, really potent Kin that are regularly burglarized of artifacts, like cattle. This would be exceptionally unruly artifacts, though, unless the kin is masochistic or very convinced this is right. Idealists believe good emotions make the best artifacts. There have been cases where the kin and the receiver of the artifact treat the weapon like a child.

soo much more lore on this! 

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 04:41:34 pm »
Ahhhh ok. So I can't see the movie bit because youtube has it blocked here in the states (boo), but I'm going to go ahead and imagine guilty crown style for the time being if it's somewhat comparable.

I like the idea that my Kin has never actually produced her weapon. I think, perhaps, that might be the most obvious sticking point, right? Like, she comes from a line of Kin who have left behind reasonably useful artifacts and she claims she's also Harbor Kin but she's never produced a weapon. By virtue of lineage she's allowed to act as a Kin priestess, and the town figures she's a good lore keeper, but they've come to kind of humor her, almost? And she's just there saying it's because they don't understand the gravity of her weapon and what it will take to pull it from her. I agree we should work for the ending scene-- he finally takes the weapon in the culminating battle, and she dies/is near death for it. It plays well too, with him basically refusing to believe her in some attempt to preserve her.

I love that the weapon reflects the relationship between wielder and kin. Maybe there's something to the weapons like... volatile relationships might make powerful weapons, but a very strong and caring relationship makes a very pure and robust weapon with a true form. Kind of, instant satisfaction versus carefully cultivated success. Maybe those artifacts pulled from the enslaved Kin are used because they hit hard, even if they break easy? This drains the Kin, but can be done several times before the Kin dies? Since those artifacts are always taken violently, the artifacts are always violent.

Two lovers might find the Kin creates an artifact with completely different uses and properties. Still magical, but maybe a weapon, maybe not quite? But that artifact would be the true form artifact of that Kin, because it was created with trust. These would be the artifacts that withstand the test of time and are kept in various towns/villages for protection over generations.

In this sense, maybe there is a point where someone is able to draw an artifact from my Kin, but it's not the artifact, because it's not taken "correctly." It might force the knight to acknowledge what she is. I think it could be nice, in that the final scene becomes more deliberate for it. Thoughts?

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:43:01 pm »
There are many stories regarding the origin of the Harbor Kin and the disappearance of prevalent Majik in the world. The legends vary wildly, and the veneer of these histories often ignore the brutal economy that has risen from collecting artifacts and hunting Spawn. Still, the stories are kept and passed to the historians and lore keepers of the cultures and communities still struggling to move forward in the world.

Many years before the Spawn, humanity was a kinder species. Man loved the Earth, and the Earth loved Man. So, the Earth gave mankind Majik. Pushing up deep veins from her core, the humans were able to pierce the ground and bring forth great fountains of Majik, which they trapped in wondrous artifacts. Those who could sense the veins and weild the Majik were called Sorcerers and their artifacts, Harbors. At first, all was well. Majik brought abundant prosperity to Man, and Man tended to the Earth to thank her for her gifts.

But, over time, the Sorcerers began to lust for power. Majik was strong, and strength was seductive. So, the Sorcerers took more and more Majik from the Earth’s veins. The veins became depleted, and the Earth withdrew her remaining veins of Majik to her core, to protect them. Majik became scarce throughout all the land, but the Sorcerers could not be satisfied. They turned on each other, stealing and collecting Harbors. War raged, and the Earth mourned.

There was a boy who, like the Earth, grieved for his people and the terrible curse of greed that afflicted them. He watched as cities tore themselves apart, as people scrambled to deify the most powerful Sorcerers in hope of protection. When the boy’s town was destroyed, he felt he could not go on any longer and threw himself into the sea. But the Earth loved the boy, with his pure heart and gentle soul, and wrapped him in her tides and carried him safely to a faraway place. An untouched land.

The stories of the boy diverge there, but one says that he grew into a man in the solitude of that place. He tended to the Earth and she gave him her bounty in return. The Earth tried dearly to please him, but the man dreamed often of his home and the suffering people he had left behind. So, one day, the Earth told him, “take your staff and pierce the ground,” and the man did as she said. A great well of Majik burst forth from the place he had penetrated the Earth, and from that flowing vein a great tree grew. “Cultivate this tree with water from the sea, which holds your tears and mine.” The Earth said, and the man listened.

Several years passed, and the tree began to bear huge fruit. The man was happy, and watched as they ripened and fell to the ground. When the fruits split on the ground, the first Harbor Kin burst forth: children of Man and Earth.

The Earth told the man it was time to return to his homeland with his children. When he arrived in his ancestral lands, he was horrified to see the war still raged on, as fierce as it had when he had left. His children, too, were horrified. From their anguishing hearts came forth the physical manifestation of their sorrows. These new artifacts were Majik itself and, with them, the man’s children set out to destroy the Sorcerers and their Harbors. Eventually, there was nothing left of the Majik-hungry warlords or their stolen artifacts; the Harbor Kin brought peace that had not been felt in generations.

But the peace was fragile, and faltered quickly. From the destroyed shards of the Sorcerers’ artifacts sprang forth great and terrible beasts. Thus, the Spawn came. Monsters roamed the earth. The Harbor Kin, who loved the Earth and humanity the same as their father, took up their artifacts and scattered to the many peoples of the world to protect them from the vicious creatures. And so, it has remained the same to this day. Though their blood grows weaker, the children of the first Harbor Kin continue to fight to put down the creatures who would destroy mankind.   

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 06:58:06 pm »
Soo lovely!

Now I'm thinking, toward the end, she might be getting sick - typical lovely blood coughs or stigmata, or blood tears and such - because he refuses to take the weapon, symptoms of his heart and fate in conflict, and how it creates a dissonance in the weapon. He is a hero of the world, but is willing to see it saunter on without salvation, or even see it in peril he really can't stave off with any real success without the artifact, if it means keeping her safe. Her bad health could also be an utterance of her own gripe with not being recognized by him. This is of course heavy plot things for you character, and you don't have to use any of it if you don't want, or if it doesn't fit in the moment.

i think the strongest artifacts from "weapon farms" would be from the fundamentalist Kin that have been brought up in a sect environment. Still, since the lies they're told can never be as wholehearted as the relationships the artifacts are meant to come from, the weapons they produce are usually imperfect, even the best ones.

If you want, at any time, your kin could name the artifact.

I'm also thinking there are eternal artifacts, depending on what they were meant for, while others, even though they are true, were perfect for their use. Maybe it was to slay a titanic beast and then that was it, or maybe to hinder a great storm. Even artifacts that might bring the user long lived political power through force might exist, because the kin wanted that for the user. There could be a class of people that are brought up to give a certain kind of love, to shape a Kin a certain way, to produce the right artifact, even if this class would be a long shot it could be well funded since a success is worth so much.

And I looove that the town lets her be the priestess out of tradition and her lineage rather than real belief, sort of like science over church. She'd have no choice but to go on, but it might eat at her, right, knowing they might not believe her, and especially the knight-hopeful. I think their relationship could be very interesting, with his denial but still wanting to help the people in some great way, and her knowing her own potential is laced with her possible demise. One can only think that every facet of this is forging the weapon to be perfect. The edge could be her frustration, and the hand guards could be their reaching love. Anything like that!

how inspiring!

And oh, here is an amv then. I don't sign on on the song, but the epic scene starts at the 2:35 mark and last for like 25 seconds. You can choose wheteher you like the Guilty Crown's clean version, or this organic one more.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 07:05:41 pm »
The origin of Harbor Kin and Spawn killed me! Oh, I would love to read that book!

Well done.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 07:15:20 pm »
Watched the MV. I think I want both. Is that fair? Hahaha! Like... now, hear me out, since there's this kind of balance between what composes an artifact I think there should be a balance in how it's taken out. So... if we equate the Guilty Crown style to giving and X style to taking it works really nice? Subjugated Kin who don't want to give up their artifacts have them taken (X style) while lovers or fundamentalist kin might lean on the side of giving (Guilty Crown style) their artifacts. I think the more powerful the artifact, though, the more there must be some taking... no matter how much the Kin wants to give it. I say this mostly because it starts to become self sacrificial, right? The strong emotional experience and the toll it will take on their body.

I think that would also make the final use of my Kin's artifact sort of interesting because the Knight's own reluctance to take it and the fact that my Kin would have basically believed she was destined for the event would end up influencing the visceral experience of it... probably making it bloodier than it necessarily has to be, since she'd also obviously be willing to give him the weapon. The energetic toll on pulling the artifact might have been fatal anyway, but all the conflicting issues bringing them to that point might make it more traumatic.

ANYWAY, I don't want to script everything, of course, but that's the mechanism I'm kind of liking at the moment and that might be because I can't really pick between the GC and X aesthetic.

Totally into certain eternal artifacts and artifacts that have a very set purpose. It lends to an overarching sense of inescapable fate, which I think my Kin will heavily subscribe to. Perhaps some of the eternal artifacts are rumored to have been the artifacts of the original Kin?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 07:27:38 pm »
That's a neat solution! That should work then. And it definitely lends well to the final extraction of the weapon from your kin, and it being a traumatic thing, since the weapon is very powerful, and they're both in such conflict. Ah, can't waiiit for that.

The eternal artifacts can have religions built around them, and those could very well say something about the original kin. If nothing else, those artifacts will serve as idols and guidelines for kin monasteries everywhere. Perhaps great cities are built around them, and maybe some or most of them are slumbering, some say they have become useless, while others say they are waiting for the right moment to act again. Incidentally, those cities are blessedly free of beasts to a certain distance. I imagine these cities are superpowers.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 07:33:48 pm »
Yeees to all of the above. It has a very sword in the stone feel to it also, which I like. Religions, great cities, and beast-free areas sound perfect. Perhaps one of these super cities is the seat of that power rising up. One of the extra religious ones, even, as zealots make good agents for championing assimilation into their faith. It could have been the start of the consolidation of power.

Can there be artifacts that can consume other artifacts? Like, to maintain one past its natural lifespan, you can basically forge other, weaker artifacts into it. This might corrupt the artifact over time, of course. But, maybe there are also artifacts which thrive off consuming other artifacts. I could see that being a reasonable mechanism within the group rising to power. Dunno.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 08:10:43 pm »
The great city with the rising power could actually have a mysterious artifact. People don't know how it was every used, since it's not weapon-y in its appearance. Could be that its actually a spire that controls a great beasts, something the other beasts can sense and therefor stay clear. This can be the reason for some upset when its revealed, and can be cause for the division in the rising power. I'm obviously building toward this mammoth of a beast be the last boss that will make or break the rising power, in the end.

I like this weird kind of alchemy to keeping great artifacts alive with smaller ones. And yes, transmutated enough times, that original artifact would obviously be insane. And depending on the mindset of the harbor kin and the weapon's original wielder, its purpose could easily be gaining power through devouring other artifacts. This nature would probably best stay hidden, while the outside world only knows that the artifact is powerful. "Here, come into my tent and let your lesser artifact bask in the presence of my great artifact."

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 08:12:58 pm »
When you put it that way, it sounds lewd. I'm for it. Beast taming spire sounds cool too. I swear I'm working on a character sheet, but I haven't named her yet and that's always a sticking point for me... hah...

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 09:32:42 pm »
Work in progress... BUT... to start us off:

Nystali Passeri
Nightingale Priestess of Jor Orpha

Strength: 7 | Dexterity: 11 | Constitution: 8 | Intelligence: 14 | Wisdom: 10 | Charisma: 12

Nystali grew up in Salynus, a small town in western Jor Orpha. An avid reader of books, she dreamed of someday moving to the capitol city, Orpha, where the protectorate’s greatest libraries held histories of people from faraway, fantastic people. However, Orpha was not in Tali’s cards. From a young age, the girl was adamant that she was, like her parents, one of the Harbor Kin. It was a reasonable thing for the child to believe, enchanted by the old tales and histories documenting Kin bloodlines and their fantastical artifacts. However, Kin do not always produce Kin children, and Tali has yet to manifest an artifact. Still, honoring her lineage and her claim, she was sent to the Salynus temple to study and keep communion with the town’s modest artifacts. The prized posessions of their small community.

If Nystali has ever regretted consigning herself to the life of a priestess, she’s never made it apparent. Sometimes, she unrolls maps and traces paths to far off places, but she’s never been known to try and leave. Out of respect for her dedication, the town has never argued her place as a Nightingale Priestess. In gossiping corners, young girls have been known to doubt Nystali’s claims. Town treasure without an artifact, and grand claims without proof. The rumors swirl most at festivals, when the town men look to their priestess and her enchanting songs and dances. The older townsfolk say the rumors are unbecoming, and comment pleasantly on Tali’s pretty lips and long white hair.  Dutiful lore keeper and scholar, she carries out the duties of her position with a clear voice and sure steps. For the townsfolk, she is a pleasant solace from hard times, regardless of the Majik in her blood.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 09:53:38 pm »
How lovely she sounds! I am craving to meet her soon!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 11:20:39 pm »
Tried keeping the stats balanced in how our characters differ. Hopefully it works. I think he has to earn his penis category.

Elvan Tavar

Strength 14
Dexterity 17
Constitution 14
Wisdom 9
Intelligence 10
Charisma 10

Elvan works hard for Jor Orpha. He was sent here at a young age to study as training knights held the town borders from minor beasts. A promising knight then, but without contacts due to his faraway post, he was soon forgotten by his superiors, and his own sense of duty prevented him from abandoning the town when he was afforded the choice to go back to the big city upon the conclusion of his training. He does what he can with the artifacts he has, but has officially not gained the title of knight which would put him in the running for his own artifact.

It is not uncommon for him to help with labor around town when he is off his shifts at the boarders, which have been calmer for a while and only recently become busy again. He keeps company with the Nightingale Priestess when he has the choice, which happens often since they have the town artifacts in common. They seem friendly, but there is also a great disagreement between the two. In many ways the town has grown to take Elvan for granted, and he doesn't seem to mind as long as he feels his presence is needed, even though there seems to be some restlessness in him with the growing conflicts in the world.

His favorite treat is the local mixture of dried fruits and jerky, and he's once or twice stood at the kissing booths during the town's famed Crystal Rain Festival. His claim to fame is a true story of him felling a medium beast with only the lowest level artifact. There is some excitement in his otherwise calm silver eyes when he regales you of the time. Since there was no other knight or knight in training stationed in the town at the time - the reason for his lone initiative toward the threat - there is no record of the slaying to be sent on to finally earn him his title as knight, and it seems against his nature as a protector to ask for witnesses to account for him.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 10:16:20 pm »
He's perfect!

Okay, so, don't hate me but Aveline is probably going to make a brief appearance. She'll remain solidly "NPC" and mostly for back story purposes. Do you mind if she is written as a childhood friend of Elvan's? She'd be closer to Tali in recent years, mostly because she's felt the need to create some distance between herself and Elvan. She wants to be professional and all, despite her feelings. She's not as talented as Elvan but she's already been accepted as a knight for competently wielding an artifact and defeating a beast near Orpha.

She's been stationed out with Tali and Elvan in Salynus as one of the official knights, since Elvan is technically still in training.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 06:38:15 am »
Ohhh! I looove childhood friends with emotional strings! True to form, Elvan will probably hold her dear, but be as denial-y or even dumber about her feelings since I'm guessing she tries to hide it, or is at least not as outspoken about "the destiny of their hearts" as Tali.

I'm so hyped! You KNOW I adore characters like these.

This is him congratulating her when she became an official knight.

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 03:01:20 pm »
Ohohoho... I'm glad you like her! But I don't know if I'd necessarily assume she hides it. Or that Tali is the outspoken one. Dun dun dun. Anyhow. I know we'll be adding more stuff to this thread as we go, with lore and rolls and all that, but I suppose I'm ready to get started as soon as you are!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 03:38:43 pm »
gah! that's even more exciting. Such visual drama-to-melodrama.

I am so ready I already wrote it all and your parts and now I'm kinda over it. Good thread though.

Seriously, though, let's get going! Want me to post the starter or do you want to start? I keep forgetting the dice element! haha

VenomousEve

• Crunch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »
You start! It's your ferret, after all. Also, I like how this has turned into historical drama styling. Finally all the Guts AU pics are becoming useful....

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 05:25:33 pm »
Don't even let me hope wilting Trace is in this...

I'll start working on something, buuuuuut, untrue to form, it might take a while, since I'm busy opening PRESENT (I got most of them early) today.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 10:34:49 am »
Someone completely copied our idea!

But don't worry, because while this guy is handsome, he didn't do the penis category which I feel was the best selling point anyway, so we're still good on selling this to blizzard.