News: 
Paragraphite

Epoch of the Abyss Read 5844 times

Thunderstruck

• Loitering Fool Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Epoch of the Abyss
« on: July 20, 2015, 12:26:41 pm »
Long ago-over two thousand years thence, by current reckoning-did the great, and reviled Arch Lich Morteshar summon unto itself, the most powerful liches-next to itself that is-from the dark lands to wage a war against the light lands, unlike any which had previously been conceived, let alone executed. Using its vast power, acquired from millennia of undeath, the Arch Lich did convince it's lesser rivals, of the dark arts arcane, to lend forth their power to its own, to enact a spell, which would increase all of their power a thousand fold. The lure was too much for the other power hungry undead to resist, and thus they consented. Travelling by magical means, the gathered at Morteshar's keep, a massive fortress comprised of an entire mountain; the mountain having been not hewn or gutted, but reformed into the Arch Lich's stronghold, and the great city surrounding the imposing keep.
The spell was a success-For Morteshar, that is. The spell was indeed as the Arch Lich had said, but only itself received the benefits. Its lesser, rather than given greater power, were consumed utterly, thus binding their power, even their very essences unto the greater undead. Using this power, the Arch Lich cast a magical pall of death over the light lands.
The war is now recorded as the Lich War, but perhaps that is overstated. For this one was not a war to be seen but rather felt,, though many saw the results of the battles fought; for the Lich war was fought by mortal mages, against the mighty undead.
Now, Morteshar had fatally underestimated the combined powers of the goodly mages, and was sealed off in its own lair.

This victory for the light lands was short lived, for the living casualties which fell during the magical Lich war, became the soldiers of darkness, in the Death Wars, which rose like a an unholy phoenix, from the magical ashes of the Lich war, to manifest physically in the Death wars.
Contained within its fortress, but by no means defeated, the great Arch Lich, now more powerful than ever before, began to plot its escape. Not outward, into the arms of the armies of the light lands, but rather into the Abyss.
There, Morteshar found Deathrender, the Nightmare Incarnate. Greater than any demon previously known, thought it itself was not a demon, but a will of malice, and intent, to make even all demons but those on the lowest planes of the Abyss, cringe at its approach.
Morteshar and Deathrender, struck a bargain. A fusion if you will; by which Deathrender, could reenter the mortal plane, and Morteshar would be granted the power to break the wards, keeping it within its sanctuary keep, turned prison.

The light lands fought with their all, for a generation, and almost to no avail. Indeed they would have fallen if not for the Bond. A gathering of Necromancers, of varying faiths, come together to fight a common foe, made up the Bond. Only the priests, and mages, of this persuasion did possess the necessary power, and knowledge, to effectively combat the dread thing, which was at the center of Morteshar's keep.
With the aid of fearless fighters of every race, and stalwart Paladins, the bond did finally breach the great fortress, of Morteshar; and with the light lands' most potent battle mages, in concert with their own combined powers, and aided by the fierce fighters, The Bond defeated the thing that was both Morteshar, and Deathrender. Having battled the vile horror into the depths of the stronghold, beneath the dungeons, to a very gateway of the Abyss itself.
There it was, that the most unexpected hero did arise-not that it would have called itself such-Deathrender, aware of the implications of being slain on the mortal realm, fled into the Abyss, taking the soul of Morteshar with it.

Without the heinous pair's combined power to sustain them, the undead armies lost their ability to fight as one. From there the tide of battle was turned. Likewise, without Morteshar's power to support the Castle Mount, the very mountain collapsed into itself, taking most of the fighters, mages, and members of the Bond with it

For over two thousand years since, there have been wars, of course, but not of that dire magnitude, or nature.
Until, now perhaps. For on the eve of the two thousandth anniversary since the fall of Morteshar, and it's domain, the dark, dormant keep of the Arch Lich, stirs, again with activity; and power. Oh such great, terrible power.
This thread is the combined Brain Child of Myself, Peregrine, and Krystal_Itzume

The thread is open PM to join. PM either myself, Krystal, or Peregine.

I do NOT want character sheets.
Let your character be known in the IC

The IC will be in fantasy. The intro above was exhausting, I will have the IC up later today: Mon. July 20th 2015.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: Epoch of the Abyss
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:33:00 pm »
AKA send all your messages to Thunder or Pere, I don't want to be responsible. I'll flip a coin to decide your fate.

:cup:

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 02:44:19 am »
very democratic, lol.

The IC will be up later tonight, or tomorrow night. A wicked Thunderstorm is winding up here, and I don't want to risk the frying of my machine by an errant lightning bolt upon the grid.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:55:00 am by Thunderstruck »

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:23:50 am »
Just a heads up... the Mr. and myself are leaving on a 10 year Anniversary trip later this week, then picking up kiddos from family and going on a short family Vacation. I leave Friday and won't be back until the following Friday-ish.

While I'll have access to internet probably the entire time... I probably won't be checking in much... because well... 10 year Anniversary and Family fun....

So, you're best off messaging Thunder

If ya'll get started, I'll jump in when I return =]

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:22:49 pm »
Thanx for the heads up. Conga Rats on 10 years. I'm at 9 years, Aug. 2nd

For everyone else, I WILL have the IC up tonight.
I want to do it right now, but I have to leave the house in less than 1/2 an hour, and I won't be back til I get off work.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:00:38 pm »
The return of the lizard was all I needed in this thread.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 09:38:03 am »
I added more to my opening, just now. I wanted to last night but I had run out of time. I hope this will add more of a potential entry point. If not let me know I can re-edit.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 02:16:21 am »
I see everyone's posts. I should get something up by this weekend at the latest.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 02:25:06 am »
Sorry for the wait from me- Vacation... and then post vacation exhaustion and then busy business kept me from doing it until now. School starts for the kiddos in a few weeks though, so then routine will be down and less away stuff and more being around.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 09:49:36 am »
I'm just glad you folks are still alive.

Pere, and Krys, no prob. I got stuck with the dung shift at work this week. Not bad hours, but not one's I'm accustomed to, so it's all kicking my ass.

Enchanted Wolf may also be joining us.

Reticence from rpgc expressed an interest in joining this. I have not told her it's up on here instead of rpgc.

Thought, feelings, comments?

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 01:17:20 pm »
I know neither of them well enough to have an opinion regarding their writing capabilities or loyalty. I have no opinion.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:05:59 am »
I just met Enchanted, on this site. I don't know if he's from the other or not.

Ret is a competent gamer. I haven't played with her much but I have followed one of her threads in the ucrp.

Beau seems to know her reasonably well, if my info is correct.

Enchanted Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 08:12:39 pm »
No im not from any other rp sites, I found this one on Google.  I'm going to re-read it, and see if I can fit in some where.  Not sure if I want to make a new character, or use one of the two I already have.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 11:58:21 pm »
I know everybody.

You all have no secrets from me....mwhahaaha

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 03:31:35 am »
It is done x.x yell at me if there are any issues with it, or if you'd like me to be, you know, on the ground for connecting with others easier.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 10:52:33 am »
Krystal that was perfect, thank you. *Contented sigh* It is so goo to have most of us together under one thread again. I feel all warm inside.
Wolf, whichever you decide I am sure will be fine. We're all improvisers of fortune, here.

No secrets, Beau? Tell me then, what team to I pull for during hockey season?

Back on topic, I'll get a response up later today. Right now my machine's trying to install my free upgrade to windows 10

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 07:35:00 am »

No secrets, Beau? Tell me then, what team to I pull for during hockey season?

Best answer is to say "if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret"

Or, ...you don't really like hockey so trick question....

My first impulse though was "Coyotes" -- although that could just be because you mentioned wolves in your post and you're avatar has a wolfish feel. 

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 09:36:23 am »
Actually, I'm a black hawks fan. :)

Thus far I've put off on posting, because I wanted to see if Pere was going to do the anne greets ava, in town thing, before I did.
I will have one up a soon as I am able. which will probably be tomorrow night.

Been studying most of the day. I had two exams coming up this week. Feeling academically deranged, I took 'em both this evening. Scored a 95 on one and 100 on the other.

Why is that relevant to the thread? you ask.
It is relevant, because my mental faculties are spent for the rest of tonight.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 03:44:28 pm »
Oi, let's not mess with posting order too much, Thunder...

But do take your time to recover, I'm well aware of that mental exhaustion. We'll look forward to your post!

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 07:42:42 pm »
okay, post is up.
I meant for it to be longer, but, funny thing is, that no one seems to bug me about the machine, except when I have a day off, then suddenly it's an in demand item.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 09:57:58 pm »
Was...was the part you shortened dialogue to Valari's character? O.o seems an odd thing to leave out.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 01:17:40 am »
yes I agree, which is why I have gone back in and added that. The rest of the stuff I had to cut short,  was inter dialogue between my characters, but is nothing major.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 04:37:28 am »
Sorry for the delay (again) we're trying to squeeze out every bit we can from these last few school free days. It starts this Thursday, so then we'll (meaning I) will be stuck in a more predictable routine.

I love Catherak, but Anne is a tough case, he's going to have to do some better convincing... or Ava is going to have to meet Kaymerus and bring him in with her abilities/and or something Anne has given her perhaps?

Or... Catherak might try talking to Anne's brother, since he likes a good tussle every now and then and thinks it's fun to irritate his sister. =]

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 12:04:09 pm »
Hmm. I will try that. heh heh.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 04:04:35 pm »
This brings up the question of if Ava can get in on her own, considering she's...magical. If she can't, I could see her learning such a thing from Anne. If not, I'm not sure she'd ever have reason to acquire that knowledge, though we could make it so--Ava is curious about plenty. She might have asked enough questions one day.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 05:35:54 pm »
I think a exception would be made in the spell for Ava and those she brings with her or Anne gave her some kind of talisman or artifact or something that allows her to cross through and perhaps those she wants to bring with her? Just and idea if you don't want her to be learning spells and such :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:06:40 pm by Peregrine »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 09:56:49 pm »
Well, Ava has spells if her songs count. It could be done that route, that Ava's able to open a way for herself with a certain melody. Then she could bring along whoever she likes.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 08:09:20 am »
I figured the barrier would keep out mainly threats of diabolical magic in nature. While Necromancy is fundamentally neutral, since it is often used by evil necromancers, and because Anne keeps a jealous vigil over her town, perhaps that is in part cause as well.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 03:38:31 pm »
The song wouldn’t carry to him

Dear Thunder, how is the song reaching Kaymerus if Ava is controlling the vibrations not to cross over to him?

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 03:59:39 am »
I'm gonna wait to post while we figure this out so I know just how much fun Barrand is going to have at his sisters expense. =]