Paragraphite

The Woodland Wounds - Horror rec Read 13579 times

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
The Woodland Wounds - Horror rec
« on: July 19, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »
The Woodland Wounds

Summer had come after wet spring. There were things on the horizon, except for the orange and blue: solace, work, rest, family ties as strained as bridge cables, heat.

The students had gone through the year. The promises of autmn and a hard-as-ever winter, inside the span of which Vera Covall had gone missing, presumed dead, and then the light drizzle and fluffing greenery of summer's threshold. A few revalastions tucked away in their minds for adult life, a few naiveties supported by fellow youths or equally blue eyed grown-ups. Nothing had been extraordinary, because everything is in high-school.

Their town wasn't far from the loud metropolis, so there were buses to take them if they wanted. One hour's drive. They were called The Peace by people from Lander City, but they knew themselves as Pineland. A dear lie, because there were not needles on their trees, no Christmas in their flora. Enough space in The Peace to host both a pride over values and a shame over their woodland heritage. Teens were delighting in complaining over the handful of coffee houses and the small mall. Adults, in turn, moaned over their backs after shifts at the mill that also provided wood for a door factory.

There was inspiration in Pineland's proximity to nature, and there was degeneration in its adherence to tradition. And that was all you'd have to say, because if you missed something of significance in describing its spirit, you hadn't neglected something of significance, anyway.

A buss, to day, was taking a class to the lake, surrounded by cherry trees. Grad night. Usually they would get to host it in the town hall, but this year a powerful pretty had noted that blossoms had come on the trees, and stayed. Perhaps they could celebrate with petals in the air? Her lips spoke enough sense for the teachers, and her breasts had enough sense to convince the boys. Plenty of girls adored her for the adoration she had from others, and the rest were apathetic enough to see her will be done, despite their other options.

They didn't know that there was something left from Vera Covall in the lake where she'd drowned in a romantic fit on the ice that broke. Didn't know what haunted her molecules and fed off her material. In the buss, they were friends, eachother's support, classmates, well needed enemies.

They would become dinner guests at eachother's banquets, culinary drawn to eachother the way puberty already sews children together.

They hadn't thought of blood as ruby wine, or bone as brittle condiment.

There would be many new things for this cull of students, in the summer water.

Welcome to the recruitment thread of this summer horror thread. This will be a flash thread where your character will be killed by the poster after you if you fail to post within the set time limit. Please join!

For more in-dept stuff, look here Buh!

Questions? Thoughts?

We shall be kicking off in, or stepping out of the buss, and you can be anything, from a new student to a teacher, or even a lumberjack or chaperon!

This shall be a horror of parasitic variety, which means the parasites in the water will be taking over your character slowly, making them feel and do strange, horrible things! Let's test the ratings of this site!

The Pineland Lullaby. When something's boring, locals call it Lul. Lately it's also come to mean morbid or gross.

I aint got no pines
But the ones in my back
Counting all the times
I’ve been blue, I’ve been black
In the night

Holding on for payday
Holding out for my drink
Going out on Sunday
But it’s not what you think
In the light

Maybe by the daybreak
Sink my teeth in some meat
Would go down to the cool lake
But I’d rather you sleep
In the night
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:24:02 pm by Verse »

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: The Woodland Wounds - Horror rec
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:56:51 pm »
Name:  Terrance Knight

Basic Bio:  He was labeled a "T.G." which he later learned was tech geek (apparently a class below nerd).  Even though his glasses were recently replaced with contacts and his braces were finally removed, he never blossomed into more.  Average height, average build. His best friend is a computer and his greatest claim to fame was the winning of the science fair.  Needless to say he has a rather large chip on his shoulder.  He pretends to be antisocial rather than admit he's too afraid of rejection to ask out a girl.

Year book poll - Voted: "Most likely to become a billionaire" (which he thought the ultimate insult rather than a nod to his superior intellect).

Thunderstruck

• Loitering Fool Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:21:31 am »
Name: Henry Tyler

Basic Bio: The son of a single father, a police detective, who works and lives in the city, Henry is under the care, of his uncle Joe Meyer, Pineland's sheriff, Henry spends his time alone, usually working on a vintage WWII motorcycle, which he often claims, when he gets it running, he'll ride off into the sunset, and let the so called cool kids, eat his dust. He's neither well liked, nor does particularly like anyone else in return.
The only reason he went out to the lake was at his uncle's suggestion, that it might be a good bonding experience for him, with some of his classmates. Well that and to perhaps finally seduce one of the so called goodie girls.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 07:24:43 pm »
Torgrim Avanson

Nice guy, but you sort of get the feeling that’s because he doesn’t care about you. That and his alternating soft smirks, and wicked half grins gets him into more bedrooms than the Pineland lullaby. Incidentally, the son and aggressor contradiction keeps his ratio almost equal daughters to mothers. He’s known as the Pineland High libertine, and some people call him Lie for it. Tor or Grim also works.

Will fight for you, until he’s bloody pulp, but he’ll probably be late to your big events. His persona is more planned out than you think, and he wears makeup on bad days. Thinks he’s moral in most aspects that can earn him an argument, but he knows he pushes his own sexual agenda rather than invites other’s into it in a debate. His biggest regret is coming from a middle class home with no childhood trauma to speak of. He doesn’t even argue with his tolerant parents.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:08:29 pm »
Astrid Finnian

Seventeen and three quarters.

Her father used to say she was just like her mother. It had been sweet at the time but eventually he threw his bags into the back of his truck and never came back. Astrid has a mouth made for whispering cruel words. She's too pretty to be loved and too selfish to be trusted.

She's been frenemies with Vera Covall since they were in the first grade and Astrid shared a cupcake with her in order to steal her crayons. At this point they hate each other more than anything else but are too afraid of the other not to be "friends". Vera was the first to spread rumors when Astrid's short relationship with Grim finally went up in flames last spring.

Has made a hobby of pretending she doesn't know her own sister.

Lovisa Finnian

sixteen

Awkward and shy with bursts of action usually resulting in getting expelled for setting free the school mascott or lighting Vera Covall's favorite purse on fire. Skipped a grade in junior high, securely putting her in Astrid's class only to be immediately ignored. Is usually always wearing headphones and carrying too many books.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:03:27 pm »
So Ara, what's your vision with dual characters. Are you going to post them separate, or wedge together with both lives hinging on timing?

Oh, and I'm also assuming that Vera will be the first NPC to meet a violent end?

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:46:20 am »
17 3/4 huh? very cute.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 07:01:12 am »
Beau, Vera is already dead. She's mentioned in my intro, she's sort of the first victim of the parasite, her biology refined them, and they are now seething in the lake.

So, I was thinking at first, to get things going, 48 h timelimit, but also, you may post first 24 h after the one before you, so there's no big rush to begin with. Any takers?

Also, a post should be 5 paragraphs right? Ateast 4 senteces, or 4 rows, whichever comes first.

Love ervyeone's characters!!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:57:23 am »
I guess if both of the sisters are still alive when/if I lose, then yes, the one after me could kill them both if they like. I might have them turn on each other before that though. It just seemed like this thread needed a little more ladies in the mix.

And, so, to clarify, we have 48 hours to post after the one before us, and can post right away? Or should wait 24 hours to post?

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 05:47:00 pm »
I say you have 48 hours, and can post whenever in that window -- but clock starts for next person as soon as you do (they get their 48 from your initial time stamp, not any future edits).

And Verse, I can do 5 paragraphs, but I'd like some flexibility on the sentences in them.  If I'm doing dialogue I can't commit to four sentences in the bundle.   I'm not the best with descriptive text.  So how about 5 paragraphs, and/or 20 sentences.  That way we have some flexibility.   I doubt we'd hard-line this, I always thought the objective is to level-set the expectation that you can't 'one line' this for safety.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:59:38 pm by Beau »

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 06:20:05 pm »
works for me. So when does the IC kick off? and is there a posting  order? and how does one usually do this?

Hmm I sound like a 6 year old asking where babies come from.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 09:02:29 pm »
Posting order is a blend of random and strategy. Say, for example, if I really really wanted to get to kill Verse, I could get in line behind him hoping that he'll fail to post and I'll get to murder him. While, on the other hand, I might not want to get in behind Beau because if I killed him, he might not like me as much anymore.

Verse is our starter so we kick off when he does?

Basically, you root for the person in front of you in the post order not posting so that you can murder them (as literarily respectfully as possible, of course).

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 09:16:13 pm »
Alright, what Beau said then. Lentient on the sentences and you have 48 hrs to post once the person before you posts.

Imma start this mofo!

As a heavy poster said at the beginning of our first flash thread: let the hunger games begin!

Edit:

My friends, we are Go!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:27:19 pm by Verse »

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 01:19:10 pm »
Posted too! Oh my gosh, I don't know that I'll always post that fast in this but I really didn't want to be behind Beau! And, okay, I kind of LOVE the idea of Beau killing my characters.

ps, TS (does that eye thing where she points at her eyes with two fingers and then at you) I didn't get to kill anyone in the last Flash Thread, so I'm sooooo lookin forward to the day you forget to post.

On another note, less aggressive but possibly just as murderous, can I have Astrid have been involved in Vera's death? Or at least know that she's in the lake? Of course, not knowing anything about alien parasites.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 05:27:46 pm »
Don't get your hopes up Ara.  I'm likely first out this time, but we'll see.

I should be able to post this evening, so heads up to Verse that his turn is coming around soon.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 06:30:25 pm »
Good post thundie! And Ara!

And of course! Go wild with it.

I'm on the ready, Beau!

Oh this is all so exciting! This is what sports should be!

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 10:55:40 am »
tag! somebody's it! Last one in is food for the rest! :p

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 01:53:40 am »
I don't think Astrid or Lovisa murdered Vera... more of an accidental thing.

Things are getting eventful fast! I like all of the NPCs we have running around on the sides for future killings/rivals and such. I'm looking forward to the crazy stew these teens become with parasites nagging at them to do bad things. I mean, some of these kids were pretty much on the doorstep of murder without alien germs in their brains.

For a second there I was thinking TS was going to kill his own character before I even got the chance to. hehe, not that I'm looking forward to it or anything..

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 04:18:30 am »
tag! somebody's it! Last one in is food for the rest! :p

Terrance will likely stay dry. 

And he's gonna be taking his time....I was traveling today....now I have a beer and I'm reading.  Hopefully soon...maybe....depends on if there is a good baseball game.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 08:18:23 am »
Beau I love that last line: "Or is policeman too big a word?" I about fell out of my chair when I read that. 

Considering I presently reside in a part of the country where it is clear that were academia not required by law, the local school system would do away with everything but sports; that line bespoke irony in numerous volumes, piled high up to the ceiling.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:43:13 am by Thunderstruck »

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 02:27:33 pm »
Such commotion! Ah,to be young again.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 01:55:48 am »
Come, join the dark side. We have booze.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 02:20:21 am »
haha! Okay, I had read your comment above before I read your post in the IC, TS and was like "okay" and then I came back after I caught up and it was pretty funny.

May the infections begin and the parasites grow!

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 06:54:18 am »
Lol, I suppose I should have warned you in advance Ara. I tend to post leading things about my ic post in my ooc post. I don't know why.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 04:00:35 pm »
*pokes Ara*

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 04:04:45 pm »
Bam! Restart the clock!

Were you getting hopeful, Beau?

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 09:47:57 pm »
Hum. No. Not really.  My character wasn't physically close to yours so that would have meant working too hard....

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 10:01:27 pm »
I suppose you wouldn't have to have your character kill mine. You could use parasites in the lake at the moment? lol Or something horrible lame like slipping on a rock? Don't do that.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 10:03:39 am »
Sorry to cut in front of Verse, but I saw that my number was coming up, and my internet had been acting funky all evening. I thought I better get a post in whilst I have a strong signal.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:30 am »
TS that's not really how it works. Right now Beau is up and has 48 hours from my last post to get one up or else the poster after Beau (Verse) gets to kill Beau's char and he's out of the game. Your 48 hour clock doesn't start ticking until Verse posts.