News: 
Paragraphite

Horror? Read 3707 times

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
Horror?
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:50:14 pm »
I was thinking parasite, inspired by but not limited to Maxim parasyte the anime.

Maybe our characters have been infested by an alien life form, and are trying to hide it from eachother, and are slowly taken over, doing horrendous things to each other. Also, when people flake, they could be autokilled by the parasyte, or become full blown villains.

Also toying with a dinosaur idea. Epic adventure or darker.

I only stipulate that there isn't too much build up to fun events after the initial presentation. We should be rolling.

Ideas?

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Horror?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:03:47 pm »
With parasite and animesh and characters doing horrible things to each other- I immediately went to high school in my brain. Is this going to be a high school horror? Either way, I'm super in.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:16:46 pm »
You could make this another flash thread -- don't post in 48 hours and parasite eats you (courtesy of the next poster)

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:09:41 pm »
I like both ideas, and they work in tandem!

I'm seeing high-schooler-teacher romance!

I do like the flash thread concept. it acctually had me loose sleep last time.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 11:08:53 am »
Ooooh! I like the idea of another flash thread. That last one was intense and it wasn't even a horror, though things did get pretty horrific.

So will it be a parasite in them trying to get them to do terrible things? This sounds so angsty! I love it!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:36:09 pm »
Yes! And the parasites can have different personalities/symptoms depending on the host. Maybe one's more physical, like talking boils, while others are more psychological.

"Trenton had just had a chat with his dear friend Steve. They had grown up together, grown apart together. For two years now they had reconnected over a new found interests in casual exercise. At first Trenton had been the pusher of the two, but lately he felt almost offended by how Steve wanted to loose weight. What a waste of good meat.

Trenton didn't know why he thought that, or why Steve had smelled so good when he'd accidentally put his hand through the open flame in chem class."

something like that. Or not at all. We be spitballin'

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 05:06:13 am »
oh man, i'm tempted although i've never seen the anime this is sooooo based off of lol. idk if i could do flash again though. it nearly killed me last time round.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:08:49 am by Lightning »

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 07:49:21 am »
Just to be clear, K, it totally killed you last time. But it's great! It puts a pressure to post but no guilt if you don't. Because not posted and getting killed is really a crowd pleaser rather than a thread killer. haha

And I don't think we're following the anime, just taking a bit of inspiration from it.

I'm sooo in! I love a bit of horror. Creepy, angsty, pyschological, monster horror.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 06:48:13 pm »
You should totally be in, Lyte. And I might make the first week or so soft core if its going to be a flash thread (trademark Beau). Maybe a 48 hour limit, but you can post first 24 hours after the one before you. That way its stressful for the next poster, but not for every one. Just a thought though.

So Im thinking if we do this parasyte thing, it can do wahtever. Maybe it act independent of you, or it takes yo over, or it poisons the people your with without your knowledge. Every parasyte could be different. Drama!

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 05:51:03 am »
hm. i'll think about it. i feel the rush really dampers on my character too which further discourages me from posting again. it's also hella stressful.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 11:43:09 am »
haha! Lightening, if I knew how to write chicken sounds, I would.

Make a character that you don't need so much time for? Either way, I'm in. I like the whole flash thread idea. It's stressful but in an exciting way and it means no one can flake and kill the thread. lol Flaking just kills that writer.

Alright, so, I know there are a lot of more important questions to be asked about this thread, but my primary one is whether or not the school of doom is going to be wearing uniforms or not? Are we going anime high school or should we take on a university for more diversity and labs and such?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »
A flash thread has a stress element as a selling point. The stress is the fun, it should be enjoyed. It doesn't work without it. It works especially well in a horror setting.

And I don't know about uniforms. Maybe we get different uniforms, depending on what we are? So, if you're the captain of the swimming team, you have a certain uniform, you decide, and if I'm a freshman who is taking chem advanced (if that's a thing, all chem is too advanced for me) I get another uniform. Just so everyone gets to literally, and literarilly tailor their own characters. Because I like uniforms, but I also like individuality. Haha.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 03:42:07 pm »
So, right now I'm thinking the characters know each other through a club at school. It could be a party comitee or soemthing. And then a main parasite, the queen or sumsuch, has provided the food and drinks for the party, which could or not be in the school gymnasium. I vote for attick or abandoned wing, though. And then thats how our characters ingest the parasite.

of course, this doesn't have to be how it goes. It doesn't even have to be a school thread. I could be anything! Im open for suggestions. Know that I am fairly far along with sketching my own parasite.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 11:06:26 am »
I like the club idea! If we aren't a bunch and doing this classic rather than flash, can I make a bunch of npc's to slaughter? Are we doing this as a one night explosive thing or a slow burn where they've been going crazy for a while?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 07:54:51 pm »
Either way we need npcs to be slaughtered! I tend to be frivolous with npcs.

So, who's in? And if you're not into this idea, I'm open to anything with a horror bend, so shoot us some ideas!

Thunderstruck

• Loitering Fool Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 12:56:36 am »
I need more input on what flash is in this case, and I'v never read/seen this anime parasite thing you're talking about either, but I find the whole idea, fascinating.  I'd like to play, if you'll have me.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 06:28:12 pm »
Thundie!

A flash thread, as made famous by the group that played it last year, is when you get autokilled if you don't post within the timeframe given. In the flash thread we played, we also would occasionally put up other challenges, like having to post at least 5 paragraphs, and then we lowered the limit from 48 hours to 24.

Typically (if you can claim that after one thread) the plot will provide ample reason for a character dying, like a collection of murderers, or in the case last year, characters that devour each other in different ways. The character who posts after you decide how you're going to die, with respect to you character, of course, should you fail the challenge or the time limit.

Any questions? Anypony else wanna add something?

ps. Beau named it flash thread, and it's gonna stick.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 12:46:21 am »
The thread in question:
http://www.paragraphite.com/index.php?topic=155.0

Basically we picked a type of eater (soul, blood, flesh) and yeah, you had to post in a certain window a certain way, or the next in the order "eat you" in dramatic fashion.  Used the OOC to track the latest "rule".

Under the new thread scenario, I suppose it would be the parasite eats you so the "next poster" would just log your painful death for you.

Not sure if I'm in or not.  My "goals" from last weekend are unmet and work sucks.

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 01:03:26 pm »
Wow. That is just too cool! I am totally in.

Verse, I had a thought about the club you were talking about, in regards to how everyone got infected.
What about a scuba club, investigating a shipwreck, salvaging a container of some kind to prove to everyone that they did, it, only to become infected, shortly after opening it to see what's inside.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 07:52:32 pm »
well said, Beau! And the parasites would make people want to kill each other, for eating, limb replacing, or other reasons, so its not just logging. The fun of a flash thread is that you get to be the demise of others, and sow little seeds of reasons as to why as the thread goes. The duality of friendship/loveship and eventual demise is fun!

And Im gonna go out on a limb here Beau and say that we deifnately want you in this thread! I mean, all the reasons you mentioned are awesome reasons to join! Please join! Could get you rematch, eh?

And thundie, I like the idea. Maybe there's a lake with an old shipwreck near their school? I dunno. It could work in many angels.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:55:52 pm by Verse »

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 10:25:35 am »
I gather, that  since the parasites in question have the ability to overshadow, and even supplant the host's personal with their own, they must logically be sentient. I we presume that much,here are couple of angles to consider.

1. Genetically engineered parasites, as part of some mothballed military project, are placed into a storage container, placed aboard a ship which is then deliberately sunk to dispose of the evidence, as well as to prevent accidental contamination. Insert name of military agency disbands, and is forgotten about. Meanwhile the parasites lay dormant, until accidentally discovered, and revived by the unsealing of said container.

2. The parasites are not of this world.
An alien ship-possibly scientific, was on its way somewhere. Maybe to send the parasites, into some star or other, or taking them home, or to their homeworld, or whatever. Said ship runs into an ion storm, or get hit by an asteroid, or a comet, or what have you; gets knocked off course, and heavily damaged, descends into Earth's atmosphere. Most of it burns up upon entry, but the cargo hold, survives, and crashes into whatever body of water we are talking about here, Parasites, again lay dormant, until a band of meddling kids, discover it, and then, well you know the rest.

My sources of inspiration here are from the b movies Leviathan, and Night of the Creeps.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 05:11:15 pm »
I don't mind what back story we go with. The one where it gets tossed down from space into the water, untouched for who knows how long, before the humans dive down? Maybe since it does have a certain sentient nature to it, it could have formed into an underwater growth of some kind and meddling kids poke at it, or get too close, and it take the opportunity to infect them?

Should we go with an eerie lake then? Maybe near the school where they've decided to do some practicing? It would also offer us a creepy forest between the lake and the school.

And TS, b movies make for some of the best inspiration!

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 03:18:27 am »
Grad night.  Highschool kids in the woods around a campfire.  Some lake skinny dipping.  Water always has parasites, and you give highschool kids some beer and they will do anything.

I'm seeing "the swamp" or maybe Friday the 13th....

Rematch -- haha--- I lost because I posted late by one minute....one minute...was honorable about it.  Verse did my death proud though.  Was fun too because we did some foreshadowing knowing the post order and the possibility.  Fate takes a hand.

Seriously though, we figured Krystal was the ringer.  That end was a surprise.  You never know what can happen.

I guess I'm in.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 01:15:47 pm »
I like the alien angle, then, Thundie. Maybe the parasites have been in the lake bottom for years, onthe planet for eons, and this years high concentration of mosquito eggs coupled with the exact right temperature have finally combined in good circumstances for this species and they hatch just as the students go skinny dipping?

I like a scary forest! Lake it is!

And Beau! I love that you're in! And you were incredibly honorable about it, you were given the choice by everyone to continue if you wanted. Also, grad night sounds lovely!

I also want to stress that you can handle your own parasite/infection however you guys want. All it has to be is hostile in some way, even if its based on something else, it has to give your character/itself reason to hurt others.

So, I could make a rec thread and then you guys could post your character sheets. For this thread we can chatter and plot. Or we could just post sheets here. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:07:01 pm by Verse »

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 04:25:02 pm »
Love Love LOVE it!

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2015, 10:23:23 am »
Pardon my ignorance, what's a rec thread?

(Ooc is fine with me)

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2015, 11:47:15 am »
He means RECruitment thread. Sounds good. Put up the idea we're going with, see if anyone else is interested, and we can get up some characters and get moving!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 06:03:55 pm »
Here we have it! Our brand new rec thread!

http://www.paragraphite.com/index.php?topic=350.new#new

please post your character sheets and ramblings!

Thunderstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 01:37:29 am »
*TS paces back and forth, looking at the clock*