News: 
Paragraphite

Publishing/Querying Read 13441 times

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Publishing/Querying
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2016, 02:17:00 am »
Why haven't you posted rejections in a while, verse?

Well, here's one from an acctual publisher!

Thank you for the submission that you sent to us. Your story was intriguing and we truly enjoyed reading it. We consider you talented but the story is not what we are looking for at this time. Please continue to work on your craft and we look forward to seeing more submissions from you. Follow us on our website and social media to see your next opportunity for submissions.

That's kinda nice, right? I do like the personal ones.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2016, 12:08:16 pm »
Since this has become the rejection letter thread...

I didn't even expect this one. I'd sent it out in august of 2015 and assumed it was rejected because of the time that had gone by. That being said, it is possibly my favorite rejection ever! It's for a post-apocalyptic thriller I wrote a couple summers ago.

-

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you on this. I'm afraid that I am going to have to pass on The Immortal Dead, although it is definitely well written. From the many submissions that I've had there were two that had very similar themes and story structures. Unfortunately my personal preference for the press is mostly third person present tense as opposed to first person past tense, which proved to be the deciding factor between the two. If they had not been so similar then there may have been a different outcome. That said, the story was well enough written that I had to give it serious consideration and I wish you the very best in finding a home for it. Please feel free to submit to us again in the future.

-

I'm a little inspired to get back into the dreary hunt for a home for this one because of this rejection.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2016, 07:21:53 pm »
Two pretty good articles:
http://accidentalwriter.net/2016/01/22/taking-ten-with-rena-olsen/

https://medium.com/@mirandabw/five-things-i-wish-i-d-known-five-months-before-i-published-my-first-novel-fe9cca7b9377#.tmwr1vw3k

I've been reading a certain agents twitter.  I was really hoping her Jan 10 tweet was about GW -
"Please send any and all manuscripts for which I can use Fatal Attraction and No Way Out as comps." - but i haven't heard from her so..yeah...hate this process.

For some reason I thought Jill would like this one in particular:
http://mentalfloss.com/us/go/73897
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:32:14 pm by Beau »

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2016, 11:14:51 am »
The second article was interesting! And terrifying. /shudders

And the mentalfloss thing just makes me think someone out there has waaaaay too much time on their hands and no netflix.

And about thinking a tweet is about you but not hearing back-- it could still be about you but she/he is just taking a while. I had an editor tweet about the manuscript I'd sent her but then didn't hear from her for about two months after that. Drove me crazy.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2017, 10:20:18 pm »
Okay Paragraphite, active players and lurkers alike, my book has a date.

Link to blog post with my pretty face and real world info. /shudder

I always hesitate to share real world things here because somehow that breaks the barrier but at the same time, we're way past that as a group and know plenty of real world things about each other, so why not this one too?

Editing was brutal. The waiting in between was the worst. And right now I'm faced with the horrible experience of asking authors for blurbs knowing most of them have zero time or interest in blurbing a newbies book. I've found a writerhack for this though and pretty much just fan gush all over the authors I'm asking with a follow up of a blurb request, so at least the whole email isn't a waist of our time.

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2017, 01:11:14 am »
That's incredible, Ara. Congratulations!

You can be sure that I'll be purchasing a copy in August.

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2017, 07:37:07 am »
Gahhhhhhh. I'm so excited for you, Ara!!!! Congrats times a million!

I'll definitely be buying the book as well!