News: 
Paragraphite

Publishing/Querying Read 13226 times

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Publishing/Querying
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »
I feel like after that many years you can send to the same people again if you want to. But you probably want to be in the right mood for it. I know I put an agent back on my list because she changed companies and it's been a couple years since I sent to her. I feel like those two things combined means I can query her again if I start agent hunting again.

And Beau, thank you for all the info about editors! Ough, that's a chunk of money!

On another note- I officially have three weeks until the deadline by which the publisher I submitted my manuscript to should get back to me. I will either be screaming in excitement or sobbing in misery at some point in the next three weeks and just knowing that is exhausting.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 06:36:47 pm »
*fingers crossed for you*

Maybe your good news will motivate me further.

Here's more info on costs, and a site that might be able to hook you up with someone.
http://the-efa.org/res/rates.php

I couldn't remember the site I used...it began with a G....I might scan my old emails later.

My challenge to the group still remains -- spend 15 minutes and find me an agent (paranormal mystery/thriller) that I haven't heard of!  You can do it!   Anyone in San Francisco you can rule out.  I've actually met several of them face to face.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 08:26:00 pm »
Beau^^ So skimming some "highlighted agents" I liked this guys profile since you had several of his interest categories wrapped up in your book.

He's also looking to build, but also seems to have some experience under his belt.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 07:40:40 pm »
Yes, Pere.  This is exactly what I need.

But now my stomach is all messed up again.  I plan to work on my query letter this weekend, and already I'm feeling sick....

ARA --- Are pixies going to be eating anything in print soon?   Do we need to get some chocolate cake together or champayne?

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 10:38:49 am »
Still no word from the publisher. Last week they sent me an email to ask where the other books of the series are in plotting/writing/editing, which was crazy uplifting and finally having the whole series plotted and the first few written worked out for me. It's been radio silence since and I am pretty much as frazzled as can be. Being away from home and my usual routine is helping to distract but I still get this panic every time my phone chimes with an email.

Beau, how did the query letter writing go? Those are brutal to write.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2015, 02:13:44 am »
I basically have one, but I still need to make it look pretty and figure out who to send it to.

I fell into the idea of sending stuff to contests, but they want shorter work it seems -- I spent all this time reworking and making it longer, and the key contest for me caps at 60K.  I had a 55K work I loved 5 years ago.  Dang it!

I do challenge everyone to consider this -- no fee:
http://www.freelancewriting.com/writingcontests/101515-rrofihe-short-story-contest.php

Also, the main freelance web site lists lots of contest.  I'm always concerned about those that charge fees but the links to sites are informative.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 05:07:42 pm »
i promised ara-quill that i would post this, so here i am~
:bluecat: :birthdaycake: :bleh:
 :choco: :mlprainbow: :crown: :bow: :whitecat:
 :jill: :jill: :jill:

on saturday i went to a writer's conference.  specifically, a Children's & Young Adult Conference, otherwise known as the CYA.   Before anyone gets the wrong idea about this being a big thing, there was about 160-odd attendees, and in the ten years that the conference has been running, that's been the biggest turn-out.

I only went because of two reasons.  The first is, I'm trying to write a book (I know, I choke on that phrase every time), and the second is that CYA had Editor Appointments available -- these were basically fifteen minutes with an editor (or agent, if you wanted), who pre-reads the first ten pages that you've submitted and then gives you feedback or whatever.

The cost of that appointment was $95.  The cost to attend the conference was about $220 -- I paid the full 300+ because the Editor Appointments were not only on a first come, first serve basis, but preference to who you got was given to those people who also paid to attend the full day. 

I went by myself.  A couple of my IRL friends are into writing but not enough to fork out the money for something like this.   It was held in my state's capital city, at the biggest TAFE campus (TAFE is, from what I can gather, our version of an American community college).  It was super big and super fancy~ 

The conference was in it's own building -- we had two auditoriums (small ones admittedly) and an art studio (since this was also for illustrators).   Registration was at 7:30 in the morning, where you got a name tag and a gift bag!  I also got a hug from the conference organizer because she recongized me from the photo you had to submit with your writing if you did a Editor Appointment - it was a pretty squishy hug lmao and also slightly alarming since I am not a huggy person.  The gift bag kinda sucked though and I ended up throwing it away in a fit of rage around morning tea time cause I dropped my fucking scone in it at said Morning Tea and got cream on EVERYTHING, INCLUDING MY DRESS -- but the badge was cool! I got a lanyard thingy to hang it on too!

ANyways, so the conference started with the usual announcements, indigenous land owner acknowledgements, in the event of a fire blah blah blah blah.  Then they announced the competition winners - they had one, not that I entered because kek as if, i would rather stab my out my own heart with HIV positive needles - and then the first panel started.

Basically, this was a long, long looooooooong day of a handful of panels.  I really really wanted to do the Illustration workshop (Character Design with Sarah Davis - Creating appealing characters, bringing them to life, making them engaging), but it went for most of the day and missed out on the other panels, and since I was paying like $300 I really didn't wanna limit myself.

(As it turned out, you could panel hop, but I still didn't go sit in the drawing workshop which I regret with the burning passion of a thousand fiery suns on the brink of a supanova)

Instead, I signed up for The First Page (What does a first page need to be, or not be, for a publisher to read on?), Marketing Your Book (which was boring af, so I ran away and ended up sitting in the last part of Ditch The Control Briefs!  Holding Your Story Together Without Pain with Kaz Delaney)  and then How To Be A Hooker with Meredith Costain (Creating hooks that keep readers turning pages) and then lunch, and then a three-hour Masterclass with the single most famous author that day: Morris Gleiztman.  Idk if he's big outside of Australia, I doubt it, but he's a hugeeee part of childhood reading here in oz.

The First Page was awful, omfg.  Like, I felt terrible throughout the entirety of it -- basically, the idea was that people could submit the first page of whatever they wanted for a panel of ~professionals~ to read outloud and then tell you whether or not it'd work.  There was an author who'd stared a little publishing house ( neither of who I'd ever heard of), a couple of agents (basically two out of the five we have in this country lmao), and then I guess another author, idk, I didn't know who she was either.

Oh. My. God, though, it was brutal.  Like, I didn't submit a thing because I knew that I would NOT be able to handle anything negative in front of a crowd -- and it was even worse because, the way they did it was that one of the CYA ladies read out the page in question, and each professional had to hold up their hand and say "stop" when they'd had enough -- and most of the time they were brutal. Brutal.  The worst was a childrens book that they didn't even get two lines into, holyyy shit.   On the plus side, they were pretty good with their criticisms and some of those pages were absolutely awful - but still. Ugh.   It did however prove valuable because a couple of things they didn't like - starting out too image heavy, describing shit instead of getting into the good stuff - are things that I am guilty of doing, soooo.... lmao.

This finished around about 10 in the morning, which is morning tea time!  They fed us via the TAFE resturant, and they had a buffet of danishes and pastries and tea and coffee and scones with jam and cream.  I was not doing well by this stage -- my editor appointment was scheduled for 11:50, and I was a little lonely because it seemed like everyone knew each other - there were big clumps of groups of mates and so I got my scone - with the jam and cream - and a apple juice and went to sit down where I promptly DROPPED THE DAMN THING DOWN MY FRONT AND INTO MY BAG. which resulted in that rage fit lmao.  And by the time I finished cleaning myself up, morning tea was over and we had to get back to our panels so I didn't even get to eat my scone uGH.

Anyways, my next one after that was Marketing Your Book. I'm not sure what it was about, and to be honest I didn't care~  It was run by the same author that started a little house in the First Page panel -- and because, again, $300, I was like, nup, and ran away.  Ditch The Control Briefs was next door, so I slipped in next to a great big lady that couldn't breathe properly -- I missed most of that one since it had started at the same time as First Page, but it was... okay.  They were using Harry Potter and The Hero's Journey Archtype as an example of how to keep storytelling tight.  I think my favourite part was the quote Kaz had on the projector:

After she was done, I had the How To Be A Hooker panel.   That was okay.  She took about forty minutes to share her favourite "hooks" in opening sentences -- idk.  Like, it was good in that I realized, again, that sometimes I tend to go for borrowing, describe-things type openings, but I didn't get much else out of that panel because then it was time for my Editor Appointment.

I went and waited with the lady I was sitting next to in the Hooker class - we had to read each others first sentences (dISLIKE) but then sort of became mates.  The thing with a lot of the attendees of this event was that... well, most of them were women first up, and secondly, most of them were older than me.  Like... there middle-aged to older housewives.  I watched one lady complain about how her husband's practise had gone full time and she needed something to do, now, thus the writing.   Even my first friend of the day - she must've been, like... in her forties.  I made another later on - who'd also been sitting next to me for the Hooker class before her own appointment - who was closer to my age, if only a few years off, but even then she was a stay at home mum.  Not that it's a bad thing, it was just an interesting observation~

Ugh.  Anyway, that Editor Appointment.  I have never, ever been as tense as I had been that morning. Sitting there outside the classrooms they were holding them in, I wanted to throw up.  Throw up and then cry.  Throw up, cry, and then kick something, maybe.  They ended up running over time, so I waited for like ten minutes -- then my name got called.

Ugh.  Ugh.  Just writing this out makes me go over all tense again.   It ended up a lot better than I was imagining it - I got a really lovely lady from Hachette - and the first thing she told me was how much she enjoyed the pages.   Even her negatives - that I use the passive voice a lot, and that my sentences could occasionally get too long and description-heavy -  weren't as bad as I was imagining.  I think what softened it was how excited she seemed about (one of) my MCs -- my favourite one, lmao.  She said my writing was lovely, with that MC's part, and idk -- I'd been working on that character for literally years, so to hear someone (in the industry) say how much they liked her, and how they could easily see her appealing to my target audience - teenage girls - was just really gratifying. 

Things, though:  my synopsis was a little confusing for her (it was the first I'd ever written... and in the last five minutes of the submission deadline oopssSSS), and the other MC didn't quite leap off the page, for her - which may have been the way I introduced him, idk - and then she asked me for a "hook" line, like, if I had to describe in two sentences what it was about... (I made that up on the spot and I must be brilliant because she loved it, even with my "er"s, lmao.  If anything, I think it made her more interested, so my one tip would be if you ever do anything like that have something like that at the ready).   She also asked if I had any questions for her, and I didn't because I panicked, so I think having those ready would definitely be a plus.

If I was to do another Editor Appointment like this, like at say, next year's CYA, I would probably only do it if I had a completed manuscript and was maybe on a second draft at least, lmao.  I'm only 40k into my project and there is a lot that has to be smoothed out -- hell, I might even give it a total makeover by the time it's properly finished -- but yeah.  Idk.  What I wanted most, out of this experience, was confirmation that I was not wasting my time - that I could, if I worked hard, do something in this industry, and I feel like I got that.  Maybe I'm being too optimistic, idk.

I didn't go back to the panel, after that.   I sat outside on the phone with a couple of my IRL friends - they've been really sweet about this whole thing, especially since I think the topic of ~I'm writing a book~ is a little boring to them.  But I got messages and well-wishes that morning from them which meant a lot to me because outside of the internet I really don't like sharing personal stuff like that with people -- and writing is so so personal to me.  Like I'll gleefully tell them I role-play but talking about serious writing has been something I've only ever done with people I know who'll know exactly what it means to me - like Ara and Pride, lmao, you guys have no idea how much I've come to depend on you. <3

But yeah, after the messages and reassurences I went to lunch -- which went a LOT better than stupid morning tea.  They had salads and steaks and veggie potato burgers which were delicious and my absolute comfort food -- potato bake!!!  I love potato bake.  I would eat potato bake forever.  I sat with the lady I waited with for the appointment -- she'd had her own, one of two for the day, and a few other people joined us and then they all talked about their writing and stuff and then I told them all about my amazing friend Ara who is an absolute powerhouse when it comes to writing lmao.   CYA had set up an ipad where you could record testimonials for them, which was funny - I went snooping because a) I was wearing a cute af outfit that day excuse you and b)  I wanted to draw on their poster they had for everyone to sign, which I did.  This older lady wanted to record something for the ipad - god she was funny.  Basically, she'd self-published a picture book and didn't understand that you had to record your answers to the provided questions - just how you found the conference and all that - and sat there, shouting at the ipad about her book.  Lmao. 

After lunch we all had a three-hour Masterclass with Morris -- it was... interesting.  I got a little bored.  He was funny, though, but I don't think he needed three hours.  I was tired by that stage, prolly crashing from the excitement of the morning, so I wasn't too impressed lmao.  Basically his whole thing was:  humans are curious about other humans, we can't imagine strangers with intricate, complete lives and that's why we turn to stories, and that all stories should have problems for the character to deal with.  It was actually... kind of basic?  I feel like a complete wanker for saying that, trust me, but idk, I feel like RPing means we already know that, lmao.  Like, if you don't have a problem to start off with, then there's no RP, so why wouldn't it be the same with a story?

All in all I enjoyed it.  I probably wouldn't do it again, though, unless they had an Author I really loved attend, or I had something ready for an Editor Appointment.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:03 pm »
Play by play comments.

This is so much commitment for you! The moneys, the time, the earlies!

I am super sorry for your breakfast. Sounds like it was fancy too. Figures that it would attack your dress. Fancy things don't like other fancy things.

Sorry about the drawing class thing. It seem revelvant since you draw a lot. And a few new tricks can be so important in drawing!

On the hooker seminar you should have come to me for advice. Just saying. Speaking of cream on your dress.

You thought this too, but Im gonna say it. The first page reading aloud thing is going to be a tv show. it has to be.

A lot of these authors are stay at home mom's eh? Seem fair though, since I feel as though a lot of the readers are too.

Im so glad she liked you mc! Motorcycles are very personal!

Let's hear the hook of you rstory at least!

You totally can do something in the indistry. You have che chops, Jillson.

Ara is my Pride.

You talked about ara on your lunch! Thats is so lovely! What is potato bake? Is it like Hulk Smash? Is the potato baking itself or other poatoes?

Im glad you buddied up to the people. Maybe that'll pay off int he long run!

Do it again next year. Your story will be ever better then.

Thank you for sharing! I feel as though I was there with you, putting cream on you dress!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 09:48:10 pm »
Jillibean! What an adventure! Thank you for sharing it with us.

I always wondered what was going on in those writer conferences. We don't have them here in Scandinavia. Or... if we do, they are probably in Scandinavian languages. I can speak one of those but I do not write in it.

And I can totally see you rage tossing your swagbag. I hate that you did it because *swag* but I get it. I'm so glad the editor appreciated your story. I do so love that character! Way to put yourself out there and go to this thing. And I'm so glad you reported back to the hive with details.

ps. As Verse asked, somewhere in that post where he got totally sidetracked by naughty innuendos, what was your hook line?

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 05:14:02 pm »
Potato bake is the best! It's just sliced, baked potatoes in milk/cream and cheese and it is glorious. 

You would have liked the picture the teacher had to introduce the Hooker workshop, maib.

I promise you though, Arabear, that there was nothing of value lost in the swagbag.  Just a self-published book aimed at nine year olds and some bookmarks and our paperwork for the day.  Boof! Off it all went, covered in cream~

My hook?  The one I gave to the editor?  Lel.  It makes me laugh -- but no one else is allowed to!  It's cheesy as all hell... but I guess that's what works. /sobs

Basically, in two sentences, my MS is:

Modern teenagers with modern worries struggling with ancient magic, ancient demons and ancient heartbreak.

The ~*ancient heartbreak*~ line was the editor's favourite lel.  Her face visibly lit up, and she was like, "ooooh, I like that, very promising."   

:crown:
:jill: :jill: :jill:
:bow:

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 07:39:34 pm »
very pomising indeed! Well done, Maib!

and we call that patato grateng. Sounds good! Does cream keep in australia?

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 11:05:15 am »
That is a pretty good hook line to come up with on the spot. I would have been screwed. It's great that you went to the conference, Jillibean! I'm loving your story and can't wait to see it finished!

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 01:55:14 pm »
Cream does not keep, maib.  We have to dig deep, deep holes in the earth around what few water sources we can find and bury it.  We call these bushfridges~

If I'd been more prepared, I would have come up with a more... succinct version beforehand.  In fact that was pretty much what I took from Saturday -- be prepared, lmao.  Be overly prepared.  I wish I'd thought to have some questions to ask her though, I feel like I wasted a minute or so there going, "er".

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2015, 11:28:33 am »
So tomorrow is the 6 month mark with the publisher I've been courting. They say they get back to you between 3 and 6 months. I got an email from them at the 3 month mark to let me know they were still considering it and to ask about the other books in the series. MY STOMACH IS IN KNOTS! If I don't hear back from them by NEXT Monday I'll send a polite email to check up on my submission.

Until then, I think I will try to distract myself by looking for more horror publishers for my zombie book and work on the outline for my next project. More books means more chances right?

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 06:14:45 pm »
you've got this, ara!  and although i'm mad they're making you sweat over it, i have no doubt this'll work out, no matter which way it turns first, because you are simply too good for it not to.  i love you!

:bluecat:  :pinkteapot: :mlprainbow: :crown: :crown: :heart:

Enchanted Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 12:16:58 am »
Wow after reading all of this I am kind of terrified. I have managed to get a poem published (through a poetry.com contest). This almost makes getting published sound like an ulcer in the making.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 02:05:41 pm »
Congratulations on the poem, Wolf!

I'm not sure how everyone's publishing experiences go, or if they're all similar to ours, but I do like hearing about them and figured it might be interesting to keep some sort of record of mine too. haha You know, in hopes that it all leads to something good one day. Right now, I still think the chance of getting published is totally worth all of the stress and anxiety I've had over querying. We'll see if I'm always that positive, right?

No word from the publisher yet! Verse was the sensible one who suggested I give them a week after the 6 month mark before sending an email to check in. Waiting is brutal! 6 months! That's how long I've been courting this publisher! Well, I have the list of agents ready if this doesn't turn out the way I'm hoping. Fingers crossed!

ps. Jillibean, you're a constant ray of sunshine! /slathersonsunscreen

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 02:20:05 pm »
yeah, i wouldn't be too worried, Wolf -- there really is no choice in the end but to get swept up in it.  /sobs

also don't think i didn't notice that editor faving your tweet about working on a new plot, ara!  you've got this!!  at the very least, they're paying attention, so you've definitely made an impression and then some - six months will pay off when you've been a published author for yEARSS~

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2015, 04:20:22 pm »
So, to share my experience, with my publisher seeking attempts, here's an update.

As a few of you may know, I heard back from the publisher. I was so nervous that it took me a little while even to open the email (expecting it to be either a rejection or an offer). It was neither. It was a very positive email asking for more information about the rest of the series. I sent them back a reply last Saturday and am now, officially, sailing in uncharted waters. I have no idea how long I should expect to be waiting from this point to hear back again.

I am tentatively hopefully but at the same time trying not to get any more hopeful than I've already been. So, keep on thinking good thoughts!

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2015, 11:20:07 pm »
I'll give you one, Beau, because I have no spreadsheets or information yet since I'm not at that point.

Link is: http://www.kimberleycameron.com/

I saw the name when browsing google for mystery agents in literature, and I just liked this one since they mentioned debut authors. So, if I were in your shoes, they sound like someone I'd consider.

I just sent the info to Amy Cloughley.  We met last year at a pitch event in San Francisco.  Got a good vibe.  So, basically I sent off 10 others, and tried really hard to do hers without any typos or misquotes.

Now, I'm gonna try hard not to be sick since I think she'd be really good to work with.  Rejections should start rolling in about 2-4 weeks from now.

OK.  Enough wining.  I'll go write something else now....

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 08:10:44 pm »
An update on my query adventure: I have a publisher. And an editor. And a contract. I am going to be published. This is totally happening! I found out on Tuesday but waited until the contract was agreed on to tell and I think I also needed those days just to process this. It was the strangest feeling, to get something you've always wanted and on some level always been preparing yourself for the possibility of never getting. I still haven't completely wrapped my head around it, but I am ecstatic! I've started the editing process with MY EDITOR and it'll probably still be a good while before the book actually comes out but it's happening!

This is my first "shouting it from the rooftops". I've told a few people and I'm sure my parents will spread the word through the family but I really wanted to share it with you guys too.  :redheart:

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2015, 08:20:57 pm »
Ara--CONGRATULATIONS!

I hope to chat with ya on skype this weekend, but I had to say this when I saw it. Congrats!

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2015, 09:33:04 pm »
Wow Ara, that's amazing. Congratulations!

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2015, 09:43:34 pm »
Well deserved!  Once the title and release date are finalized you need to let us know so we can be first in line.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2015, 05:26:29 am »
i knew you could do it.  i always did, and you have, and it's all because you worked so hard -- congratulations, arabear.  <3 <3 <3

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2015, 11:52:52 am »
Thank you!!! I'll keep you all in the loop on how it goes. It's pretty exciting so far. We agreed on the contract and they're mailing it to me for signing. They added my profile to their list of authors on their webpage and even made my book a placeholder on Goodreads. I've been pretty much jumping around making high pitched sounds of excitement all week.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
Congrats on sending in Beau! If you're up for it, show off some of the best rejection letters! I think they're fun.

And ara: Why haven't I heard about this! You write? What about? Is this what you do when I go to work! How dare you! I'm going to evil step-siter this one and go thorugh your mail and hide your contract so you can't go to the ball.

Congrats baby.

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2015, 09:15:38 pm »
that's amazing ara! congrats!!!! totally gonna buy your book the minute it comes out and tell everyone that i know the author.

Thunderstruck

• Loitering Fool Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2015, 09:11:03 am »
Conga rats Ara.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2015, 02:32:24 pm »
Thank you, guys!