News: 
Paragraphite

Holiday Plans? Read 2096 times

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
Holiday Plans?
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:59:25 pm »
What are you up to, paragraphites? Any standing traditions? Favorite foods? Things that make it feel like a holiday season for you?

:christmastree: :gift: :candycane: :frosty:

We have this hot wine stuff in Sweden that I hated my first year here but that I've really come to love. Had the first cup of it today (at an archery christmas party- yes, that happened) and it tasted like christmas. There's also a special soda that comes out here every holiday season called julmust which is pretty much "christmas soda".

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Plans?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:32 pm »
I enjoy an elderberry mulled wine around this time.

I have no standing traditions except watching Rome and drinking that for Saturnalia, but this year my friends have sent for me to return to Illinois to spend Christmas and New Years with them, so I am going to do just that. And their wedding!

Oh, and I guess the Doctor Who Christmas Special has started to become a tradition...

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:07:15 am »
As far as tv/movies we have to watch Christmas Vacation - tradition.  I also enjoy Holiday Inn, but its on VHS and when we play it on our tv its grainy like old black and white should be, but the pic quality is very poor since I've had this tape for.....lots of years.

Food wise we eat crab (or at least everyone but me does) and pasta on christmas eve.  Then big christmas day breakfast and the pet parade.   Have I mentioned the pet parade before?  I think I might have.  We dress the dog, two cats in bells and they lead us out to presents.   Sometimes we've let the hamster (and there have been a parade of sorts of those) get into the action, but he's quick, so it might not be the wisest choice.

We've started to go to the movie theater on christmas day afternoon.  This year we're thinking we might go see the new Hobbit then.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:10:43 am by Beau »

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:34:14 am »
Between Thanksgiving and Christmas my husband and I try to work in the entire LotR extended trilogy, or the entire Band of Brothers series. With the kids we haven't gotten any Christmas movie traditions to speak of as of yet- we usually find something on TV or Netflix, and I personally like watching Little Women. My girls are both pretty young and we're hoping we can find the Grinch on somewhere to watch as neither of them has seen it yet.

As for food, we generally work in my dad's home made cinnamon rolls and chili- which we're having tomorrow for my very round, very "mid-life" birthday(30). We also drink hot chocolate, and I enjoy going caroling while we deliver neighbor treats. I make cookies usually (which I did) but this year I'm also trying out hot chocolate on a stick as a give out treat. We'll see how they go, they've been pretty labor intensive, so I don't think I'll be making them to give away again any time soon.

Christmas Eve is generally reserved for playing board games and eating whatever we all have to pull together, with whatever family and friends we can get together with, then reading the Christmas story and hanging stockings before bed.

This year, my Father-in-law gets to visit us a on the 22nd and he's going to wear his Santa suite- he dresses up for parties for people- and we're going to get to enjoy that. My almost 6 year old enjoys telling people, "I know who the real Santa is. He's my Daddy's Daddy." It's fun to see the kids with their Santa Grandpa. ^_^

Q

• Drinking tea. ('cos that's what we do in England)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 10:47:31 am »
This year, partner and I are celebrating Yule today in our own (rented) home. Possibly just the two of us, possibly also his best friend.
It'll be the first time I have cooked 'Christmas dinner' alone/without supervision. So it could be interesting as I'm very clumsy and scatterbrained. I managed to get a small turkey, a small pre cooked ham and we'll be having a lot of vegetables. cooked various ways: parsnips, carrots, swedes, two types of potato (mashed and roasted) and runner beans. I am also going to attempt Yorkshire Puddings from scratch. And the all important Yule Log.

On Christmas Eve, we're off to visit his grandparents with his dad and having a little buffet with games (a quiz written by a librarian.... I'm frightened haha)

His dad is then taking me to my mums, where there will probably be a game of catch up (drinks) with friends. And Christmas day... It'll be the first time in at least 5 years my mum has been able to host Christmas Dinner on Christmas day (as she's a nurse) so, I'm actually really looking forward to it all.

And for those of you who don't know what a Yorkshire Pudding is: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings (Being from Yorkshire, it's pretty much a national dish and simply MUST be eaten with these types of dinners)

Wish me luck guys... Here's to hoping I don't burn the kitchen. :)

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 10:02:42 am »
We have this hot wine stuff in Sweden that I hated my first year here but that I've really come to love. Had the first cup of it today (at an archery christmas party- yes, that happened) and it tasted like christmas. There's also a special soda that comes out here every holiday season called julmust which is pretty much "christmas soda".

swedish christmas sounds badass. christmas soda and hunger games parties, count me in.

we're doing christmas eve at my aunt and uncle's. plenty of food and plenty of wine (hell yeah). i'm also hoping no one kills the boyfriend as it will be his first time spending christmas with us.

i will then proceed to spend christmas day playing whichever fabulous game i have received. if it is dragon age: inquisition, then it was nice knowing you all, see you next year, probably.

anyways, everyone have a happy holiday and a wonderful new year!

:christmastree: :frosty: :charizard: :catpile:

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 11:10:10 am »
You guys have some pretty good holiday plans in the works!

Beau- I think I've heard something of your pet parade before but it still hit me like it was new when you explained it.

Light- I hope you don't get Dragon Age!

In Sweden, Christmas is usually celebrated on the 24th but since Verses mom has work (extra pay) and Dior (our actual swede) is going to be at her parents today, we're going to do our official celebrating tomorrow. Today I will be making french toast for Verse. We plan to watch a super shabby looking horror movie. Later will be making pizzas and possibly watching the christmasy Die Hards.

Tomorrow (25th) will be holiday food eating, epic present opening (somehow we have to quantity of presents under our tree that would be reasonable if we had any children at all). I might make some sweets today for tomorrow now that I'm getting hyped. Caramel corn and cake maybe?

I hope everyone's plans go great!

Happy Holidays parafriends!