News: 
Paragraphite

Dear Diary, Read 1541 times

Runic Blade

• View Profile
Dear Diary,
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:34:37 pm »
Does anybody have a diary?

I first started writing diaries after I left high school.  I'd buy a spiral-bound blank book and fill every page with my "philosophy" and poems.  I had several of these books but one day someone broke into my car and stole my backpack, which is where I kept my diary.  After that, I stopped writing them.  Maybe I was worried that someone found out all my personal thoughts.  More likely though, they just threw it in the trash.

Later, I threw the rest of the diary books away.

Anyhow, I've started again, with another blank book I'd written some entries in during January this year.  I started last week and have been writing something in it every day.  I find it interesting to read the old entries several months after I made them.  I am always surprised by how much I'd forgotten.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Diary,
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »
I always wanted to keep a journal. I love buying notebooks. But I usually just keep lists and notes for stories. I'm a big list maker.

Do you always start your diary entries in the same way? Like addressing a letter to someone? Are they thorough accountings of what you've done that day or are they more emotional? And what do you mean by your "philosophy"?

I'm glad journaling works for you and that you're back into it and sorry that someone once stole your bag.

:pepperorange:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:44:05 pm by Ara »

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:35:11 pm »
Not so much a diary, but I often have a small (3-4 inches), moleskin journal that I keep in my pocket and use to jot down story ideas. My girlfriend bought it for me a couple years ago after she discovered that my 'notes' for class were actually 3/4's story ideas and fragments rather than actual notes, lol. It is incredibly useful, definitely one of the best gifts I've ever received.

I'm also interested in what you meant by philosophy.

Runic Blade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:42:44 pm »
Do you always start your diary entries in the same way? Like addressing a letter to someone? Are they thorough accountings of what you've done that day or are they more emotional? And what do you mean by your "philosophy"?

I write what the voices in my head tell me to! haha

No actually I just write how I am feeling and what my thoughts are about the world.  I don't write anything about daily events unless they are having some emotional/mental effect on me.  (I do the same things every day--go to work, sleep, read a book.  My life is quite ordinary.)

I'm also interested in what you meant by philosophy.

Just random weird ideas why I am acting in a certain way, or why society/the world acts a certain way.

I actually thought diary-writing was more common.  Maybe it's not.  I know some people have blogs to write that kind of stuff, but I like writing on paper.  It is an "exploration of self."

I don't write story ideas, but I think that is a good idea.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:52 am »
You know, when you point out blogs as a form of diary writing in some cases, I realize that I do know more than a few people who do that.

I read a few of them and they seem to be very cathartic for some people. I have always envied diary keepers. My mother has one that she said she started when she was pregnant with me and that I'll get to read it someday... It's been twenty-seven years. I have no idea if I'm ever actually going to get to read it but I still remember her saying so.

The closest I've ever come to diary writing was the occasional angsty poem. I had quite a lot of them at one point but I haven't written any in a few years so either I've outgrown misery or my man is crazy good at keeping me happy.

Runic, do you find that you write no matter your mood or is it just a certain mood that triggers diary writing?

Pride! I had that problem in school too, that is, most of my notes were fiction. What do you do with the mini journal when its full?

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:10:11 pm »
I can understand an exploration of self, Runic. I got my bs in Psychology, haha. Half of my undergrad career was spent recording similar things, though mine was for assignments rather than for personal pleasure.

Ara, I've only gone through two at this point, so I'm on my third. I write really small (and like a toddler, if my girlfriend's exasperation is any indication), so it helps lol. When I finish one I usually keep it near my laptop at home, where I can reference it whenever I'm looking for something to write.

Also, the sooner you find and read that journal, the sooner you'll find that your parents actually found you in a wheat field inside a crashed space capsule sent to Earth from the wake of your home planet's destruction! Then you can go on a life defining journey around the world saving people with your superpowers.

Runic Blade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:49:30 pm »
Ara, maybe you should remind your mom and she might give it to you now.  If it was so long ago, she might do it.

Pride, yes I am very interested in psychology these days.  It is a something I have read a few books about because I want to understand my own personality, how to be more happy, and so on.  It has helped me.