Paragraphite

A Year That Never Could Be [Finished] Read 11475 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: A Year That Never Could Be [Closed]
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 01:47:09 am »
Maya didn’t talk to the others, except for Jack and the Master, whenever the Master decided to talk to her. During one moment, she’d mentioned how it wasn’t too fun to kill a man who died of malnutrition within minutes of reviving. That seemed to change Jack’s diet for the better. She wouldn’t confess it, but that had been her hope in mentioning it. Now if she could just figure a way to get him actually exercised, that’d be a grand step.

Now and then, she spotted the Doctor staring at her in a way that boiled her blood. She couldn’t explain it, for the look wasn’t judgmental, but the question there…it seemed to burn to her core.

‘Who are you?’

Not that Maya could answer him, but it seemed to go deeper than that.

‘Who are you to the Master?’

And when she’d noticed it was the ring he was staring at, the one around her neck, she’d always cover it with her hand.

The Doctor still couldn’t get over that ring. He still couldn’t understand it, either, but he knew none of this was right. He had been able to mention it, once, to Jack, before the guards noticed they were talking and made sure to stop them. He was starting to doubt that she was anyone good now, though. She followed the Master’s orders without question, without hesitation, and he’d heard Jack’s screams enough times to know that they were not humane orders.

A couple of months passed by.

There was no word on Martha. By now, the Doctor would have expected something about Martha to have reached the Master. By now, her travels had to be known, her reach, known. So why wasn’t the Master mentioning it? He couldn’t be hiding it. He wasn’t that smart. He would have been boasting about how he was closing in on Martha or something, if news had reached him.

A couple months passed by, and Maya hadn’t yet managed to kill the Master. She didn’t sleep in the same area as Donovan or Robert, fortunately. Most nights, she sung herself to sleep. Now and then, she’d sing while Jack was recovering, but she tried not to do so when she knew others were around. It seemed…wrong…to sing there.

That day, the Master had gone off again, leaving her with Donovan and Robert. Bob. Whatever. Neither of them had spoke of their history together, but it was acknowledged in expressions and gestures, in tone. So, Maya heard the tone in which Robert mentioned her taking care of Jack, and she pushed off the wall she’d been leaning against and approached Jack.

She saw his gesture, mouthed, ‘I wouldn’t’ with a glance and then a disgusted look at Robert’s back. She did speak aloud,
“I’ll go ahead and do it. Make Donovan’s work easier, Bob.” She did derive a twisted pleasure from calling Robert, Bob, though. Maya wouldn’t deny that.

The Doctor was not happy to have Jack moved away again. It would have been nice to have Jack around while Donovan was on guard duty. They might actually get to talk a bit. His disappointment was apparent, but he didn’t mutter anything about it, tempting as it was.

At least it would be nice to have Donny around, and neither of them would have to worry about other guards intruding or interrupting for a while.

Her hands undid the bonds that kept Jack in place, and one wound the leash around itself. A tug was made to tell Jack to follow along when all the bonds were off, and she turned to take Jack out of the room, hoping it wouldn’t be necessary to actually pull harder on the leash. That collar tightened far too quickly.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 04:35:23 am »
Robert muttered something under his breath when he heard Maya, but it was better left unheard. Instead, he kept walking.

Donovan pretended to smile, even though he had no real camaraderie with the paralegal. He had his moments when he felt like he could open up, but he never did. He looked towards the Doctor and frowned, realizing that Maya would waste no time in taking Jack back to where he’d be confined and tortured. Maybe one day Donovan could have watch over both the Doctor and Jack, though he very much doubted that would ever happen.

Maya took her leave, tugging gently at Jack to instruct him into following her.

Jack needed not be told twice, and he kept up surprisingly well. He’d been fed more in the recent months than he could have imagined, and he had Maya to thank for that. Despite the fact that she was the one in charge to torture him, he could feel that she was trying to keep it tamed. Jack did his part by exaggerating the pain that came from her torture, and it seemed to keep the other guards and the Master content.

“Maya,” called Jack casually as they walked, making sure beforehand that no one could hear them. “You want to burn me again?” He seriously hoped not, as that had also been a horrible experience, but he joked nonetheless. “That way you can take another peek of what lies beneath these clothes. Or you can just skip the burning part.”

He winked, even though he was facing the back of Maya’s head.

Jack thought that people should be more liberal with their bodies, and it was a pleasant surprise to wake up completely naked that night a couple of months ago. This was aside from the fact that the burns and the shock of waking once more were taking a toll on him, of course. It was getting better, and he was spanning more time dead than before. 

Jack’s whispers were barely audible to Donovan, and he had been listening for them. He shook his head and paced around the room, double and triple checking that he and the Doctor were, in fact, alone. In the distance he could hear the sound of conversation and laughter from the guards that were not currently on patrol.

They weren’t very funny to Donny.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t keep Jack here,” said the boy to the Doctor, tone still soft in precaution. “Maya is not exactly the easiest person to talk to, and the Master keeps such a close eye on her.” He’d noticed this quite quickly, and it made him worry for Maya’s sake. What was weirder was the fact that Lucy didn't seem to care. That or she didn't notice it at all.

Donovan had also been trying to keep contact with his other “guards” friends down below, but he had to sneak about to do so. Communication from the Valiant was not exactly allowed, but he’d managed just fine. It had only taken him a couple of minutes to figure out how the systems worked. Reaching out to further locations, however, was much too risky. For now, he only hoped that he’d get lucky and hear something worthwhile.

Sadly, that had not been the case.

“Still nothing, Doctor,” he said, “I can’t find anything on her. Things are going very well down there.”

It seemed like the last of the rebels had died out. Hope was truly starting to vanish.   

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 04:52:28 am »
Ah, Jack.

Maya imagined she would have a better sense of who she ought to be if Jack weren’t here. Jack was humanizing, even though he seemed to be the least human thing on this ship. He died and came back to life. Her constant torture of him should have deadened her, but it didn’t.

Jack understood, or at least, Maya deluded herself that he did. Perhaps that was the problem—she was deluding herself, about everything.

Yet, Jack joked, and somehow that made it easier to do so. She didn’t need to see his wink to know it was there.

A roll of the eyes and a flush of the cheeks led her to answer,
“I’ve told you, Jack,” she said as the door opened for the two of them, “I’m engaged.” She even flashed the ring on her finger to remind him of this fact. She wasn’t sure why she bothered with it. She was 99% positive that Aeron was dead. He would never kneel to anyone else, and so he could not be alive.

She led Jack to where he was supposed to be restrained,
“I haven’t been asked to torment you.” She still didn’t do it of her own will. She only ever did it when the Master told her to. She took her orders easily, of course. “So I suspect I’ll be turning in for the night, and you can rest, for once.”

Rest, restrained. She considered, though,
“Or have you eaten yet?” Someone always had to feed Jack, since the restraints weren’t lifted. She glanced back after asking the question, to find out if he did need to eat or if he would prefer rest.

~***~

The Doctor sighed at Donovan’s apology,
“It’s all right,” who could keep Jack here when it was the Master’s will that they be separated? It was part of his torture. To keep the Doctor so isolated and alone. The Doctor knew it.

It was strange, though. The way Donovan had spoken of Maya in the past seemed to show some confusion. That didn’t change now. There were questions there, unasked ones.
“It’s all right,” he said again about the news of Martha. “I think we’ll all know when she makes herself known,” the Master would announce it. “I’m surprised she’s doing such a good job at being unnoticed,” he glanced anxiously towards the doors, but no one was entering.

He hadn’t asked Martha to start a rebellion, just to go about and get his name known. If people were being quiet, that might be good. The Master might pay them even less attention because of the peace.
“It will all be fine,” still he was patient. Still he hoped. It must have been strange to see the Doctor depending on someone else. "Are you all right, Donny?" He knew, of course, that Donovan wasn't all right. No one could be all right on this ship, but he needed to check exactly what state the man was in.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 05:22:38 am »
Jack’s chuckle was soft, natural at Maya’s response. It seemed like that day had been a good one, as the Master had been busy elsewhere and had not the time to come and make sure that he was slowly being killed again. Time had shown him that Maya wouldn’t torture him unless she was ordered to, and so Jack was beginning to think that there was something quite strange about her allegiance. Not because she didn’t look like she was loyal to the Master, but because of the little things that one only notices after spending a great deal of time together.

He hadn’t kept track, but Jack was certainly seeing more of Maya than anyone else. Just like the Doctor seemed to be seeing more of Donovan, that strange guard. Maybe he could convince Maya to keep him with the Doctor for a while, but he wasn’t sure if she was on any kind of terms with Donovan.

“The ring doesn’t mean anything up here,” he muttered – at least not that ring. Jack had taken notice of the ring on Maya’s neck, and it was one of the things that he wanted to talk to the Doctor about. And where the hell was Martha? She was definitely taking her time. Another topic he was anxious to inquire after. He feared that something, or someone, had stopped her from spreading word about the Doctor. His expression darkened, but only briefly.

“I haven’t eaten,” he answered honestly, “why, are you going to take me out?”

Food, fun and jokes aside, would be a nice change of pace.

The Doctor remained in relatively good spirits about Martha, all things considered, and it made Donny feel calm. He seemed so sure that Martha was out there, and that she was just so successful at keeping herself out of the Master’s radar. His faith helped Donny, and it encouraged the possibility that this might just fix itself one day. If the Master was unaware of her, there was no way that he could prevent her.

“It will all be fine,” he mirrored the Doctor’s own words to himself, but the next query made him lose his role momentarily. It was just a second, but in that second Donovan stopped being a guard and became a kid again. The question was completely unexpected, and it made Donovan feel like he’d been an open book this whole time. This lapse in control was very quickly remedied, but he couldn’t keep his eyes from staying the Doctor’s.

“I’m fine,” he answered with the best lie he could come up with, and he doubted whether it was at all believable. Something about the Doctor made it hard for him to lie, as opposed to how easy it’d been for the others. “Why do you ask?”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 05:34:32 am »
‘No, it doesn’t.’ The ring was a decent excuse, though. Maya knew it didn’t mean anything, here, or down there. Even if, somehow, Aeron was still alive. Even if somehow, everything could be fixed, Maya knew she would throw the ring in his face and leave.

At least Aeron would never scare her again.

Jack hadn’t eaten, and Maya gave a tug to direct him over to the upright slab where he was usually confined. She bound his legs, and one arm. She didn’t want to feed him herself, and if the Master caught this and demanded explanation, she’d have one ready.

“I’d love to,” Maya said, “A good red wine and a steak dinner would be divine, but,” a shrug of the shoulders, “I’m afraid there isn’t a single place open, so we’ll have to eat in.” The fridge was always full of cold goods, but she held up a finger and stepped back, “I’ll see if the kitchen actually has anything,” and she turned to leave to fetch a warm meal, if there was one, or the supplies to make one. Maya was hungry, too, after all.

Maybe there’d be a wine there somewhere.

~***~

The answer was in Donovan’s expression, and not his words. It pained the Doctor to see the façade shatter in an instant, and to see Donny for what he really was—a scared and uncomfortable child.

Fine was always the worst lie in the world.
“You’re not,” the Doctor said softly, and he turned his gaze towards one of the windows. “I can see it. I don’t want you to forget yourself, like everyone else on this ship.” If he kept hiding, he would become just like them, too. The Doctor feared that more than anything. He knew that Donovan had to act, but he didn’t want Donovan to lie to himself, the way so many of those on the ship did.

At least, the Doctor hoped so many of them were lying to themselves. He didn’t want to imagine the majority of them served the Master because they truly believed in what he was doing. He wanted to believe that most of them were scared—as scared as Donovan—until they’d lied to themselves often enough that they believed they weren’t scared.

Of course, the Doctor still saw it in the others, now and then. In their hesitation, or in Lucy’s case, whenever she flinched.

Again, it seemed just Maya had mastered the art of not being afraid. There were times, the Doctor wondered, why the Master hadn't killed her just for that. He did seem to delight in the fear of all the others, after all.

The Doctor changed the subject,
“You knew Maya before, didn’t you?” He needed to know more, because she was the odd one out, “Who was she?” It would reveal a bit about Donny, too, he hoped. Who people knew often influenced who they themselves were.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:57:48 am by Krystal Itzume »

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 06:10:51 am »
Jack followed Maya as if it was routine, but the fact that Maya left one of his arms unbound was unexpected. It was definitely risky, but he didn’t mention anything of it. What would he say to her? ‘Don’t, I might escape?’ None of his previous escape attempts had succeeded, and he didn’t see how this one would be any different. All he did was wait these days, and he often times wondered whether waiting was actually the best that they could do in this situation.

A sharp pain came to his back, and the agony only showed on his face. His body still constantly complained about its injuries, and although he was in better shape than before, he was by no means stable. He had to endure it.

Waiting was all he really could do. What else was there?

He did smile at the wine, though – it was weak, but genuine. “Oh, what I would do for some wine…,” he breathed out, resting his head on the wall and closing his eyes. There were many desires that he missed. There were many people that he missed. They all came back to him in memory, and it was an entirely different form of pain that overcame him. He shook it off.

Maya was to go to the kitchen. It could have been coincidence, but Jack spoke the very instance before Maya stepped out of his chamber. “Don’t take too long,” he advised without opening his eyes, and he was surprised that he almost sounded concerned. In her absence, Jack entwined his free hand on the bind to the point where it seemed like he was bound. He wouldn’t take any risks.

Turns out, Donny had been an open book to the Doctor. In turn, the boy averted his gaze by choosing to look to the floor. It was getting darker outside, and the lights we’re not the brightest, so he could barely see his shadow on the floor as the doctor spoke.

He’d been caught.

“I have to be,” said Donny, and he truly believed it. He had to be fine to continue his charade. He was in too deep now. If he faltered, it would put other people in jeopardy. Robert, who had clearly vouched for him, would be in danger – and it was not only him. Donny tried to comfort himself, convincing himself that he was strong and that what he was doing in the Valiant was making a difference.

It definitely didn’t seem like it was.

At the question about Maya, Donovan slightly nodded his head.

“I hardly know,” he whispered, eyes looking around to make sure that they were still alone. “It wasn’t even that long ago since the last time I saw her. We met when I joined a theater in London, and it sort of went from there,” those times were not exactly happy in his life. “She’s different now.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 06:26:08 am »
‘Miss me?’ Maya could have joked about it, but wouldn’t. She did forget she left him with a hand unbound when she walked out.

Maya knew her way around the Valiant. She knew the places she was allowed to go, and knew the places she wasn’t. The kitchen was at least one place she was allowed, and at this hour it was rather empty. What food had been prepared wasn’t great—the fair for the guards was much less than what the Master got to eat, but it was better than anything Jack would ever be allowed.

The chicken hadn’t been put away, but it wasn’t cold yet. She found a tray and set two plates on it, added chicken, mashed potatoes with a country gravy, and then sought out something to drink. There wasn’t wine, unfortunately, not that she could locate. She half-suspected the wine was all kept by Lucy, but in her mind she’d turned Lucy into a wino despite there being no evidence to it at all. It’s what she would have done in Lucy’s shoes.

‘Nothing at all.’

Water it was. Healthy, fresh, water. Two glasses.

She returned with the tray balanced in one hand, and held up a finger when the door shut behind them, to suggest Jack be very quiet about this treat. Then, she overturned one of the small tables with a myriad of torture tools on it and walked it over to where Jack was, still holding the tray aloft. It wasn’t until she set the table down that she also set the tray down.

And remembered she’d left Jack unbound. His hand, however, looked to be locked up.

Maya wouldn't comment on his discretion.

She pulled the bind off it,
“You can feed yourself, Jack.” She said. The table ought to be high enough for him to reach the utensils and the water. “Then I can put that hand back in the restraints.” She’d found a chicken leg for him, so he wouldn’t have to fuss over cutting into the chicken with one hand.

~***~

The Doctor could only feel guilt at what he was doing, with waiting. There might be other ways, but he wasn’t looking for them. Not really. He was waiting, and in doing so, he was putting Donovan through this hell—a hell Donovan wouldn’t forget.
‘You should have been down there. You could have still been a kid when all of this was….’

The Doctor didn’t say as much, though. He let his mind consider what Donovan said about the stranger, Maya, and frowned.
‘An actress, then?’ That was one hopeful possibility, and worrisome as well.

She was a damn good actress if it were true. He smiled a bit,
“You were an actor?” He found it impressive, “What were you going to be in?” Something much lighter, even if was a reminder of the fact that it wasn’t happening. This new detail was certainly interesting.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 03:40:13 pm »
It was only Jack in the room, but the solitude wasn’t bothering him very much. He thought of the Doctor and he thought of Maya, awaiting whatever scraps of food he’d be given and hoping that he would get to talk to the Doctor sooner rather than later. The more time that passed, the more impatient he was about wanting to do something. He knew that the Doctor would never approve of killing, but he was beginning to see very little options aside from it.

Maya returned, and his spirits brightened. He wasn’t sure whether that was because of the food she was carrying, or because she seemed like she would eat with him. The food was much better than what he’d been given before, and although it was by no means excellent food, it could have been gourmet.

“I knew she’d hide the wine,” he muttered when Maya returned with only water to drink. He’d never pictured Lucy as a drinker, but it definitely suited her now. How else could she endure all of this? It was taking a great deal out of him, and he liked to think that he was a strong person.

“Thank you,” he said, slipping his hand from his pretend bind and reached for the food. He appreciated the fact that he wouldn’t need to cut into the chicken. At this point, that was a waste of time. He took a bite, and his body immediately demanded more. He’d been fed more lately, but he still felt starved comparatively. He forced himself to eat it slowly, or he would regret it. Besides, the more slowly he ate the longer Maya would have to stay.

‘The more likely it is to get caught….’ He ignored the thought, turning to Maya in between bites.

“Can I ask you something?”

He’d tread carefully, for he didn’t want to scare off the only person he frequently saw and didn’t absolutely despise.

Donovan laughed quietly, for a moment forgetting about everything.

“I wasn’t very good,” he clarified with modesty, “but I was originally supposed to play Borachio in Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing. I ended up playing Don John, in the end.” He smiled at the fun times he’d had in the theater, at the friends he’d left behind.  If only he could go back, do things differently…

This would have probably still happened.

“It was not my usual thing, you know,” he said matter-of-factly. “It was supposed to help me become more diverse, but I still preferred to play football. I loved my education, all the learning, even above that.” He breathed out, smile still intact. “It wasn’t too bad, I suppose.” It wasn’t. Nothing that happened in rehearsal had been bad. It was what happened outside of the theater that put a damper on his memories.

“Now I’m wondering whether I’ll do anything like that ever again.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 07:04:14 pm »
What was there to do but smile, however little it was, at Jack’s comment about Lucy? It seemed they were of the same mind there, another reason she could so easily delude herself that Jack understood. “I’ll look harder next time,” as if there would be a next time. Maya wasn’t even sure of that.

Everyday was a gamble, though. One day, she might misstep and the Master would take her head as punishment.

Jack ate slower than Maya, which didn’t really surprise her. To him, this was a luxury. Maya wouldn’t hasten him. She was in the habit of eating quick, and even though she had to cut into the breast, she found herself doing so quicker, and digging into the potatoes before Jack spoke again.

It was oddly nice to eat in the company of someone besides the other guards. She swallowed, answered,
“You can ask,” but she gave no promise of any answers. She didn’t know what Jack intended to ask, after all. There were too many things that she couldn’t confess to him. “What is it?” She paused in eating to give Jack her attention.

~***~

“Ah, Shakespeare,”
fond memories, the Doctor had.

He and Martha had gone to see Shakespeare. They’d helped him defeat the Carrionites, and knew why Love’s Labor’s Won was meant to be lost to time. He reminded himself of all of Martha’s cunning there, of all her action and capability, and hoped that it had stayed with her through these long months.
“You’ll get to go back to it all, if you want,” the Doctor said.

He had to have faith.
“I met Shakespeare once. Martha and I both did. We didn’t see that show—I’ll have to come see you in it,” he smiled to Donny. “I can’t picture you as Don John, though.” He couldn’t picture him as a villain at all, and the mere thought was a little amusing. He bet the boy could pull it off, though. If he was managing this…managing to fool the Master and so many others, then he could pull off Don John. Don John wasn’t half so evil.

“What were you studying? Or, what did you want to study?”
He rephrased, considering again Donovan’s age. He might not have had much freedom yet to truly pick what it was he wanted to do.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:58:16 pm by Krystal Itzume »

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 06:05:20 pm »
Jack looked to Maya as she stopped eating to give him her undivided attention. This was not something that anyone had done to him. He’d gone ignored more times than he cared to count, and even with the Doctor there was a slight disconnection, even if it came from Jack himself.

“Is this where you wanted to be?” The question came out cautiously, but that was because he didn’t want to alert others of what was happening inside his chamber. “I mean, the Valiant,” he clarified, returning to his food. “You were clearly a guard of rank before,” another bite, “which is more than I can say about that other one, Donovan.”

Though he had been nice to look at.

“You’re very hard to read, you know.” He almost chuckled, but instead only a weak smile appeared on his face.

Donovan’s smile was wide this time, his perfect teeth showing at long last. He could only vaguely remember the last time he’d smiled like that. “I didn’t think so, either,” he admitted in what could be interpreted as modesty. “It wasn’t my thing at all, but they seemed to like my take on the character. I practiced, too, so that might have helped a bit.”

After all, he wasn’t supposed to play that role originally.

He gave a shrug before addressing the Doctor’s next query. This one brought on a different kind of a smile, one that wondered what would have happened if the world hadn’t gone to hell. Donovan had high aspirations, and he felt like he was capable of achieving so much. He was well on his way to obtaining a blank check to pay for his school, athletic and academic scholarships lining up for him since his start at the academy.

“I went to the London Academy of Science,” its prestige was known throughout England, “and I wanted to pursue something in Physics or Mathematics.” In another time he would have been accepted into a great program for both of those things. “I used to like numbers.”

Now they seemed to have lost their appeal.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2015, 06:24:23 pm »
The truth would be correct in this instance, but Maya found the question strange. She suspected there would be a follow-up. “Yes, this is where I wanted to be,” this was the only place she’d ever have a chance to get at the Master, even if so far that was still a difficult task.

She had opportunities. None of them had been certain enough to take. Maya knew she would only get one shot at it. If she failed, then all of the blood on her hands was for naught. If she failed, Angelus’s death was for naught.
‘He could have done this better.’ He probably would have brought the Master to the ground. He would have found a way to get the Master out of his safe haven.

Maya had to work within the security.
“I don’t know about the other one myself. He was no guard I knew,” but Maya wouldn’t deny it outright, even if she did not believe Donovan was a guard at all in the past.

At Jack’s comment on her readability, she gave no response. It was part of the goal, after all. Instead, she pushed her plate aside, chicken eaten, but potatoes only half-so. She didn't have much of an appetite. She didn’t hurry Jack, but it was clear she was done eating. She did still sip at her water.
“What are you to the Master?”

Sure, Jack didn’t die.

Maya knew there was more to it than that. He had a connection with that Doctor. She didn’t understand the dynamic.

~***~

The Doctor smiled with a bit of awe as Donovan confessed his interests. He would have been good at all that.
‘Will be.’ The Doctor forced his own thoughts to be optimistic. He had to remain that way, for the sake of them all. For his own sanity.

“Quite the varied interests,”
he noted. An actor interested in the sciences. It was truly impressive, and from the way Donovan talked, he had been good at both.

He glanced around the ship they were in,
‘Must be how you’re able to figure out the Valiant so easily.’ The Doctor had come to understand the ship was built under the Master’s dictating, which no doubt meant it was a difficult beast. The Master was a genius. The Doctor would never take that away from him. Insane, but a genius.

“They’ll serve you well, when this is all done. I’m sure you’ll like math again,”
the Doctor said, “I was more into physics,” the numbers were lost on him, but he understood physics in a way that had always baffled his teachers. Hell, it baffled the Master a time or two, as well. He never understood anything the ‘right’ way, as proven by his choice of instruments.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2015, 10:57:06 pm »
Jack’s rising suspicion was becoming more and more likely. When Maya affirmed his question, he believed her, but the answer was still so vague – purposefully so, he thought. From what Jack had seen of her, she didn’t show any sign of enjoying what the Master commanded her to do. She didn’t show sign of distaste either, but that would result in death. Showing excitement would result in being rewarded.

At the question directed to him, he tensed slightly.

“The Doctor and I are friends,”
though the stress that Jack put on the word “friends” was a sign that it was not so simple. Sometimes Jack didn’t even know what the Doctor was to him, or to anyone really. “The Master..., he uses me as a hobby, and as a way of torturing the Doctor.” The Doctor was kind, and he would never approve of the way the Master did things. The Master knew this, and he took great pleasure in reminding the Doctor of who was in control.

Jack looked to Maya, having finished his food.

“How will you do it?” He asked, convincing himself that this was not him being hopeful – that Maya was there to put an end to it. Was he overreaching? Had he misinterpreted Maya’s aloof nature and subtle mercy with something else?

He hoped not.

“I liked trying everything that I could,” he added, “that way you can see things and understand things that you ordinarily wouldn’t.”

Experiencing anything and everything was a way to expand the mind, to see things from many perspectives, and grow from it. He had considered moving away to attend a university away from his parents. They loved him, sure, but they were so myopic and restricting. He would have left them without a second thought.

And now….

Donny pushed the thought away.

“Physics,” he feigned a smile, “that’s the dream, isn't it? It’s so complex when you think about it, but so simple when you just look at it from a distance.” This, of course, was a thought given out of context. Half the time that Donovan got carried away with this topic, no one would understand. Donovan had given up after some time, and thought it best to wait until he spoke with others who found the same fascination that he had.

“One day,” he breathed out, “all we have to do is wait, right?”

Martha would come.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2015, 11:19:57 pm »
What Jack was to the Master was cleared up. It was a confirmation more than anything. The real question should have been ‘who is the Doctor to the Master’, but she imagined not even Jack knew the answer to that. The way he called Doctor ‘friend’ said as much.

Then came a question Maya couldn’t answer, and couldn’t even pretend to understand. That blank expression returned. She was surprised he would ask something so boldly. If he was trying to get her killed, that was one sure way.

‘Gun. Bullet to the head.’

Simple and efficient.

Rather than answer, Maya rose, leveling her gaze with Jack’s. She did want to tell him and confirm it all to him, but she couldn’t.
“I am not certain what you’re asking,” she informed him. “but the hour is late and I do not know when I’ll need to be up, eight hours of sleep was a laughable dream on the Valiant. “So I’m afraid this is all you’ll get to enjoy.” Not that there was anything left. Jack had cleared his plate. Maya stepped forward to Jack and reached for his hand to put it back into the restraints.

Perhaps her haste to leave the conversation would do all the talking for her.

~***~

Experience was one of the best teachers. It wasn’t always kind, but there was no substitute for it. He was glad to see that Donovan seemed to enjoy that, too. He wanted to experience so much.
‘Here is one experience he won’t forget.’

The Doctor’s smile faltered. He supposed, sometimes, it was kinder to forget.

No, this wasn’t an experience he needed. He wasn’t sure how it could ever help Donovan to remember this.
“Oh, physics is easy,” the Doctor jested, “You just need a box to think in that’s bigger on the inside.”

His TARDIS would have blown Donovan’s mind. Shame it was now that wretched Paradox Machine.
“It will all be fine,” he confirmed. “You really…you should find a way back down there again, you know.” It’d be much better for Donny down there. It certainly didn’t have the casual brutality that the Valiant had. It couldn’t.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:37:48 pm by Krystal Itzume »

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2015, 12:04:54 am »
Maya didn’t know what Jack was asking, apparently, but he wasn’t so sure that he believed it. If anything, her hurry in leaving him was a sign that the conversation was becoming an uncomfortable one. More and more, his mind was accepting the idea that he and Maya could be allies in this. The Doctor would continue to wait for Martha, but Jack didn’t think he could wait so long. The next time he’d see Martha, he ought to mention that she shouldn’t have taken her sweet time.

“I enjoyed it quite a bit,” said Jack as he let himself be bound, smiling. He didn’t need an answer anymore. He’d convinced himself, and there was no turning back. When Martha at long last arrived, perhaps there wouldn’t be anything left for her to do. “Thank you, Maya.”

Jack couldn’t foresee the next time that this would happen again, especially after he’d asked the question. 

“Don’t miss,”
he said quietly, closing his eyes in rest.

A box that was bigger on the inside. Donny actually let out a short and soft laugh, shaking his head in slight disbelief. Could that be possible? He didn’t discard the idea from his mind, he knew better than that. So much of science was based in facts, but it was through imagination that people made breakthrough discoveries.

With a second thought, Donny concluded that of course it was possible!

“Wouldn’t that be something?” The idea of something like that was absolutely fascinating. “I’m having a hard time picturing it, but physics is amazing. There is so much that I don’t yet understand,” the idea frightened and encouraged him. This is how Donovan learned; he had a thirst for it. He would never want to stop learning and exploring.

The conversation then turned to the land below, and Donovan shook his head. “I can’t,” he spoke softly but decidedly, “I couldn’t live with myself. Not now that I’ve seen what’s happening here. How he’s treating you, and….” After a short pause. “I can still help here. I know it.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 12:22:55 am »
Too much, and just enough. Maya restrained Jack once again, replaced the table to where it had once been and put all the tools back on it. She took up the plates as he thanked her, but didn’t return any polite words.

She reached the door when Jack told her not to miss, and she did look back at him—eyes shut, seeming more at peace then she’d ever seen him.
‘Great.’ It was another weight, but Maya had no right to protest. She had put herself in this situation, and she would see it through. Before, she didn’t have anyone actively pressing her towards action, though.

They were all dead.

She pushed open the door and faces seemed to flood her mind, the hundreds that should have been faceless and nameless surfacing as if she’d known them personally. She took long strides to reach the kitchen without running, and she quickly washed off the dishes and set them aside to dry. At some point, she had started to hum again.

She didn’t even know when she’d started to actually sing, but she was doing so on her way back to her small room.

“No more dreaming of the dead as if death itself was undone.
No more calling like a crow for a boy, for a body in the garden,”

Yet another song that wouldn’t have been known in that year.

~***~

Donovan refused to go down there. The Doctor couldn’t tell him why it would be for the best. It would reveal too much of his plan, and he couldn’t risk the Master ever hearing any of it. He could just pretend to be worried for the boy’s sanity, while he hung out up here.
“I know you can, Donny,” the Doctor wouldn’t say Donovan couldn’t do anything.

Right now, he provided the Doctor with hope and companionship. That likely wasn’t the ‘something’ that Donovan wanted to do, but it meant so much to the Doctor. When this was all over, he’d have to show him the box, and then see what Donovan went on to do with that knowledge.
“But you don’t have to. It’s not a burden someone your age should bear.” He knew Donny was young. He didn’t know how young, exactly, but he knew that he had no business up here on this ship, seeing all that he was.

Not that any of the guards really deserved that, but he had less sympathy for some of them, like Robert and Maya, who seemed to go along all too easily with whatever the Master wanted. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 02:03:28 am »
Jack was left alone as Maya left, and she did so without saying another word to him. The silence was somehow not so haunting that evening. It could have been the food he ate, or it could also be the fact that he felt like things were beginning to fall into place. It didn’t matter that his muscles still seemed to ache, or that he didn’t feel as strong as he wanted to. There was something different in the air, and he couldn’t quite put his finger on it.

Slowly, he began to drift off into sleep. There was no doubt that the Master would have him up in a couple hours, but he doubted that this time he would begin rethinking his fate. The guards got their sleep, and the Master took command of his own playtime.

When he’d wake, he would suffer.

But didn’t he have to? Didn’t Donovan feel like it was his duty to help and do his part? The Doctor didn’t seem to think so, but the young boy didn’t quite agree. There was no turning back, and something kept pulling him in. There was something that needed to be done, and he was the one to do it.

“Maybe I don’t have to,” he conceded, but then shook his head, “but I need to.”

Donovan didn’t want to admit it, but his sanity was leaving him. It was slipping away slowly, more and more as he waited for Martha. Speaking with the Doctor provided him with an escape, and it helped calm him down. The nights, however, were not kind. They were torture, and they were pressing him to act. Just how long was he supposed to wait? The Doctor helped, but would it be enough?

The sound of movement alerted Donovan, and he snapped up from his resting position immediately. He slipped back into his role as a guard on the Valiant, and his hand absently reached for the gun on his holster. He waited a few seconds, and he could barely make out that it was Maya, a darkened silhouette quickly making her way down the hall.

She’d been with Jack the whole time, apparently.

“I should go,” he whispered without turning back to the Doctor.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 02:45:59 am »
‘No, you don’t need to, either!’

The Doctor couldn’t protest, though. His smile was sad, but it was present,
“Thank you,” he said instead of getting too angry. He was angry, of course, but it was wrong to be angry at Donny. He could only be angry at the Master who put him into this situation.

There was movement, the only sound that followed the silence, and there was…singing. Of all things, singing, and it wasn’t the Master. The Doctor turned his head towards it, and recognized the voice after a bit of focus. A moment later, and he realized that song shouldn’t at all be known to the woman.
‘2009. Not…but how?’ Maybe he had the dates wrong? Possible.

The Doctor didn’t think so. He was a history buff when it came to Earth facts.

He caught Donovan’s farewell, and gave a nod.
“Good night, Donny,” he supposed the guards didn’t really see him as much of a threat any longer. Donny wouldn’t get in any trouble for leaving early.

The Doctor wouldn’t do anything, after all.

~***~

When Maya slept, she dreamt. She never quite remembered what it was, but she knew it wasn’t a nightmare. Sometimes, she was even certain that blond rebel was in her dreams. They were happy.

It was a future that never could be. Maya knew that much, but never just what that future was like. It was always on the edge of memory, like a mother’s lullaby heard as an infant—always there, but never known.

The dreams were disturbed by someone pounding on the door. Four-beats. Everything was in fours when it came to such sounds. She woke without fuss and sat up,
“Yes?” She didn’t know who to expect.

“The Master wants you. Now.”

‘Of course he does.’
Maya simply rose from what passed for a mattress and pulled herself together, putting on one of the clean uniforms, transferring items from her pockets into these and adding the gun, and bat, to her effects. She didn’t recognize that she was a bit too hasty this time around. The chain of a looted necklace hung out of one pocket, and the key could be seen.

Maya didn’t think of it as she pulled her hair back into ponytail and darted out of the room. She never ran, but she did make it clear she wasn’t walking as slow as humanly possible, either.
‘Didn’t tell me where he was, either.’ Well, Jack wasn’t screaming, so Maya assumed he was in the main room of the Valiant.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 03:25:27 am »
The morning had come much too quickly, and Donovan and the other guards had been called to patrol the main room. The Valiant soared, and its windows revealed a blue sky. Its beauty, albeit breathtaking, was completely unparalleled to the horrible events that happened below. The Master waited patiently there, playing with the laser screwdriver that he twirled in his hand. To him, this would be but an ordinary day with nothing too unusual. Humiliation, torture, fun.

The guards were just patrolling, Donovan completely detached from any and all relation he had with the Doctor. The pilots did their work, and Lucy stood at the top section, silent and hollow eyed. Jack was strapped back, a guard at each of his sides. His head was bloody, and his skin was dirty throughout.

The Master had already had a bit of fun that day.

When Maya arrived, Donovan didn’t even acknowledge her. It was uncanny how believably he could play his part without distraction. It was the Master who acknowledged her, it was a wide and wicked smiled, hands clasped together in anticipation.

“Killer,” he greeted, and some of the guards gave her a brief glance. Still, nothing about the events hinted at anything special. “Join me,” he invited with a wave of the hand, and with a shimmer, his eyes found the chain. The key came into sight immediately after that. Just as the Master’s eyes grew slightly wide with awe, Lucy seemed to twitch.

That is when the Master began to think that this day might not go according to his original plan. No, his plan needed amending. Questions needed to be answered, and people needed to be shown their place. The Master gave the ring on her necklace but a glance, but something about it didn’t seem to register anything significant to him. Perhaps his excitement over a possibility had temporarily blinded him.

Perhaps the drums were just too loud that day.

“What…,” he began, eager like a kid inquiring after a birthday gift, “have you got there?”

His hand stretched forward, demanding it.   

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 03:33:12 am »
Maya saw Jack out of the corner of her eye, and hoped today had not been worse than usual. There was a truth Maya acknowledged, and couldn’t ignore. Kindness was cruel. She was reminded whenever she saw Lucy and wondered how the hell Lucy had ended up here. What tricks? What kindness?

No doubt, her kindness to Jack only made things worse, too. He hoped, and hope was a special sort of agony.

Maya couldn’t look at Lucy any longer. Jack made her guilty, the Doctor, and Donovan, made her guilty.

Lucy made her hate herself.

Maya stepped up to join the Master as he dictated, uncertain as to why, but not showing any questioning look. She wouldn’t even ask why, though she noticed the Master seemed to become more gleeful. She followed his gaze to the chain, the key, and then heard his excited demand. She took the key from her pocket and held it out to him, blissfully unaware of its significance.

She dropped it into his palm as she heard a breathy,
“No,” escape the lips of the Doctor.

The Doctor saw what it was the Master demanded from Maya once it was removed from her pocket. It was only momentarily difficult to focus on, but once he could see it, he knew it for what it was. That key went to his TARDIS. He could hope and pray it was his copy, or Jack’s copy, but he knew better.

That was Martha’s copy, which meant only one thing.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:00 am »
The key fell into the Master’s hand, and the Doctor’s word only made his smile grow wider. The same word had alerted Donovan, whose façade was still largely intact, but whose eyes quickly scanned the aged Time Lord. The Master felt the temptation to hug Maya, squeeze her in celebration, but he needed to hear it first. He needed to make sure that he was right, before he announced the good news to the rest of the Valiant.

It was beginning to look like a glorious day.

“Tell me,” he pulled the key from his hand by the chain until the key was at his eye level. “How did you come upon this key, Maya?” In that moment he didn’t realize that he’d used her actual name, nor did he seem to notice that it felt right to do so. “Spare me no detail.”

Donovan immediately felt a pull. Something was wrong, that key had significance and it had changed something in the Doctor. His heart began to beat a little faster than before, and his feet began to lead him closer and closer to the Master. It was only natural that guards move around during their patrol, but Donny couldn’t quite point out his intent.

Jack’s neck craned to take a look, and he also recognized the key. It had been the Master’s tone that had alerted him that something was wrong, and it was the Doctor’s word and expression that confirmed it. The Time Agent looked to the Doctor, not wanting to believe what was evident, and he shook his head. 

That was not his copy.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 03:55:22 am »
‘What have I done?’

Anything that made the Master this happy could not be good. Maya wanted to look back, to see if there was a clue painted on the Doctor’s face or Jack’s, but she already knew there would be. There was only the truth to tell.

Her details were boring anyway. The Master hadn’t seemed to learn that.
“A woman in a maroon jacket was wearing it as a necklace,” Maya began. She couldn't forget her, since it was an act Maya decided to get to this point. She had to kill that woman, to be made a guard, to get on the  Valiant, “I saw her when the toclafane was thinking about where to place me, and it doubted my skill. I shot the woman. The toclafane hadn’t even seen her,” one boast she could make.

“HOW COULD YOU!”

There was some rage the Doctor couldn’t contain, and it did boil over as he heard this.

Maya blocked him out.
“It was on the first day.”

Absolute defeat settled on the Doctor’s face. He fell back in his cage.
‘No.’ That meant Martha never got the message out to…anyone. Didn’t it? He’d never get his youth back. There was no one to come up here and change the course of things. Impossible as it was to believe, in that moment, the Doctor lost hope.

Maya didn’t understand the full force of what she’d done, that much was clear.
“I thought the key might go somewhere interesting. That’s why I took it,” she finished. It had opened one hell of an interesting door for her, and it was just about to get more interesting. She didn't think she'd like it, though.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 04:12:39 am »
Jack could not even form a word; his shout was all agony – long and desperate. He let his arms fall and his head hang in defeat, the Master’s cold laugh the only audible things after that. Jack knew Maya wasn’t lying, which meant that Martha had indeed been killed. He didn’t even have the strength to understand that she’d been killed on the first day, that she hadn’t been able to accomplish anything at all.

Donovan felt his heart drop. The Doctor’s pain was all too real to him. The Doctor’s pain translated into his pain, and his mark was very quickly cracking.

The Master stopped his laughter with a deep sigh of relief and a smile. “I knew there was something about you, Maya,” he patted Maya’s shoulder as he made his way to the center of the room, spinning the key by the chain. “Did you hear, Doctor?” The Master pretended not to have listened to his outburst. “Martha is dead,” he cackled mockingly, “and not only that, she’s been dead since I started my rule! Your companion is nothing but dust at this point!”

Jack’s chest began to shake, as if he were sobbing.

Donovan tracked the Master with his eyes as he moved. He knew in that moment that he couldn’t just stand by. It didn’t matter that the room was full of guards, it didn’t matter that the Master had his weapon on him, this needed to end now. His hand reached for the gun at his side, and he gave the Doctor one last brief look before he lifted it from its holster.

“ENOUGH!”

In an instant, he took aim and shouted with rage, and he fired. 

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 04:24:09 am »
Maya did not join the laughter or the shouting. It was enough to understand that this person had been dear to the Doctor and Jack. ‘We all lose.’ She didn’t understand the great plan this Martha was a part of, and numbly accepted the good job pat. She turned to watch the Master as he went on to boast about this, and chanced a look at those in the room.

Jack was crying. Maya was certain of that, and it tore what was left of her heart to shreds.
‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.’ She’d never get to tell him that. That was the worst of it. Did he understand that she had no idea? Could he ever understand, or forgive her?

‘Don’t miss.’ Maya just repeated his words, and made them a promise. She wouldn’t.

The Doctor was fire and rage in his defeat. There was no denying the defeat, it was painted on his expression as clearly as his rage. If looks could have killed, the Master would be dead where he stood, twirling that chain as he was.
“Just STOP.” It had all gone too far now. Far too far.

The other guards paid little mind, but then Maya’s gaze found Donovan, before he shouted. Enough time below allowed her to understand his body language, and cracking mask.
‘Let him. Let him try, just let him—’ But Maya didn’t even listen to that voice. Maya took the gun out of its holster.

When Donovan yelled, Maya was already aiming her gun at him. Her gun sounded at the same time his did, and she aimed to kill. Just one shot, and he’d be down. Nearly painless.

It would be mercy, since Maya knew that bullet he sent at the Master wouldn’t work. He made the fatal error of announcing his intentions in that single shout.
‘So please, just die. Please.’ Otherwise, the Master would certainly make Donovan his new ‘Jack’ for a little while.

Donovan didn't deserve that.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:26:54 am by Krystal Itzume »

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 04:49:05 am »
Donovan did not even think to worry about Maya. Why would he? Wasn’t she doing exactly what he was doing? Wasn’t she trying to kill the Master too? It was because of these previously confirmed suspicions that Donovan had fired so confidently, and why his expression had changed completely when he realized what Maya was about to do. It was betrayal above anything else, and his gaze showed the deepest sense of disappointment and embarrassment.

By the time Donovan had fired his shot, Maya had already shot at him, and he’d tried to get out of the way. It was the instincts that had always helped him before that took over, but this time they would have been kinder if they had stayed away. His shot was off his mark, and Maya’s bullet found his right shoulder.

‘Why did you do that?!’ He couldn’t vocalize it.

The sound of the bullet made Jack’s head snap up, and he allowed himself to hope that someone had gotten to the Master. Instead, he found his eyes settling on Donovan, whose gun fell from his grip, and whose expression made his stomach want to hurl. It was even harder to see that Maya was the one behind the other gun shot, and more so to whom it was aimed.

Donovan had tried his hardest to not let the pain get to him, but the bullet had severed something in his arm. He could see his right hand twitching, and the blood dripping all the way to his trembling fingers. “Gah—!” Donny’s voice was not loud, but it was heavily strained with the pain. Without thinking, Donovan knelt to pick his gun back up with his left hand.   

The Master had been temporarily surprised, but now his eyes were only serious with rage. There was a hint of a smile on his face, and it was by far the most sinister one yet. As Donovan reached for the gun again, the Master pointed his laser screwdriver at it, sending it away and rendering it useless. Immediately, he turned to Maya and stretched out his hand once more.

“Give me your gun, Maya,” he demanded in a voice that was cold as ice, “and show me what you’ve learned with Jack. I want everything except your famed efficiency.”

It was almost a whispered hiss.

“I’ll—stop—you—” Donovan’s eyes were cemented on the Master’s, and they showed anger over even his embarrassment. The pain, the anger, and the hatred made Donovan’s face grow red, and there were visible veins on his neck and forehead. The boy was pushing through the pain, not yet realizing what was still to happen.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 05:04:23 am »
‘No.’

Donovan wasn’t dead. Maya intended to send a second shot at him, as his betrayal registered and everything in the room seemed to demand haste.

And everyone was moving quickly. Donny knelt for his gun, and the Master shot it with his laser screwdriver. Maya had pointed her gun down at his head, but before her finger could pull the trigger, there was another order.
‘No!’

Maya saw the outstretched hand, her face blank with the surprise she felt at the order. It shouldn’t have surprised her, of course, but it did. Mostly, because she did not expect to be in this situation. This was the moment where heroes rose, wasn’t it? Where the anti-heroes finally stood up to the villain and made things right?

So why was she handing over her gun to the Master?
“Very well.”

‘Someone shoot me.’
If Robert thought to get brave or sentimental then, she wouldn’t have hated him for killing her. Jack could have gotten free at that moment. The Doctor could do anything—anything but yell.

“Don’t do this!”
It was a plea to both Master and Maya, as the Doctor looked to the bleeding boy. A part of him understood that saying it would only make the Master want to harm Donovan more, but he couldn’t help himself then. He didn’t want to watch this.

Maya rolled one shoulder as she approached Donovan, and then took the bat into her hand.
‘No one? No one at all?’

Donovan’s gaze was locked onto the Master. That made things simple.

Maya swung the bat as hard as she could at his already-wounded shoulder, not an efficient strike at all, but it would cause quite a bit of pain against all those raw nerves. Besides, she knew Donovan was stronger than her. Once he realized what she was doing, he might actually get it into his head to do something about her.

“Please!”
The Doctor paid little heed to that, “Whatever you want, Master,” the Doctor blurted, “just don’t do this!” He had lost Martha. He didn’t need Donovan to be tortured to death.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2015, 05:27:10 am »
Jack looked to the Master, and he deeply wondered why and how the Master seemed to enjoy this. This was absolutely sick. The boy was crawling towards the Master, but it was hard. The Doctor’s pleas were only making this situation more difficult. There was really no way out anymore, was there? Much like Jack, Robert seemed to avert his eyes from the torture. It was strange, as he’d never done this before, but he couldn’t look at it. Even the other guards, those that had gotten to know Donovan, were visibly tense about what was happening.

At the impact of the bat, Donovan fell from his crawl. The boy hit the ground as the pain from his wounded arm shocked him. He closed his eyes in agony and bit his tongue, no shout escaping from him, but only the incredibly nauseating sound of the boy trying to endure the pain. He began to breath, trying to get oxygen to his aching muscles.

He turned to Maya as reaction, managing to open to his eyes.

“Please,” he called to her, pushing himself back up and crawling towards the Master, “help me—”

“Master! Stop this!”

Jack’s outcry was loud, and he tried to break free of his binds.

“SHUT UP!” The Master shrieked, being tempted to kill Jack in that moment. But then, how would he suffer? No, killing him would be a mercy. “This is what happens when people choose to oppose me,” he hissed, “you would think that they would have learned by now.” His eyes turned to Robert. “Fetch my dagger, now!”

Robert was out of the room instantly.

Donovan could feel his hand slipping from the blood. He couldn’t turn back any longer. He knew that Maya would swing again, he knew that the Master would get his dagger. Little did he know that the Master would immediately give Maya his dagger to use for herself. ‘I don’t want to die.’ His throat was in a knot, and his eyes began to water.

He was scared as much as he was angry.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2015, 05:37:56 am »
‘This is you.’

It was a very quiet voice that said as much as the bat was twirled, allowed to gain a bit of speed as the Master shouted and others pleaded. It was a voice that Maya didn’t want to hear, but it couldn’t be ignored.

This was her. This was no role she was playing, for there was no one this terrible, and no one half as determined as her to see this through. By now, any hero would have risen. Here was someone she might have called friend, and she was going to kill them.

Reality wasn't half as kind as fiction.
“Oh, pardon me,” her own voice was quiet, a trace of mockery. “thou bleeding piece of earth.”

There was the chance Donovan would know the speaker. Shakespeare wrote it for Antony, a man of passion. He said the words to Caesar’s corpse, to apologize for his immediate leniency to Brutus and Cassius,
“That I am meek and gentle with these butchers,” her tone suggested she might be speaking to the Master, as if to apologize for her lack of cruelty towards the ‘butcher’ that was Donovan. She remembered the line so well, because she'd chastised Devlin for doing it wrong.

In truth, her words to Donovan and Jack, the last thing she could manage before she struck Donovan again to break bones, to wound muscles, and bruise flesh. None could have ever been mistaken for a fatal blow, for that was not what the Master wanted. Donovan would not die until the Master wanted it.

Donovan bled under the blows, of course. It stained the ground and it stained her.

The Doctor refused to look away. He heard Maya's words, but they didn't register as Shakespeare. They registered as noise.

He wanted to look away, of course, it was horrendous to watch. His eyes were wide with that horror as he found himself mute, but he couldn’t look away. He didn’t want Donovan to be alone, in the end…someone had to be witness to it…someone who cared.

His eyes watered, and the tears spilled over. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2015, 06:10:47 am »
After the first blow, Donovan got back up. After the second, he managed to bite back his agony once more, finding the strength to keep going. The third time, he felt something break, and with the last of his vigilance wavering, he let out a shout of pain. It was a scream that was truly horrible, one of a person who was still young – one of a person who was helpless. It was the scream of a person who could not come back from death.

At the shout, Jack turned away. Robert had waited just outside the main room until then scream, after which he shuffled on in, handing the dagger to the Master. There was no smile upon the Master’s face, for it was still and serious.

Donovan tried to stretch his arm forward, to pull himself closer to the Master, but it was not working. He felt his hand slide back, leaving traces of blood from where he had tried the last time. He tried using his knees, but those seemed to fail him, too. The next strike flipped him, and so he faced the ceiling to look at Maya once more.

More strikes came, and after each Donovan disappeared more and more. The last of his screams were showing a sore and impaired throat, and they signaled the end.

Maya spoke, and he recognized the words. The tears spilled from his eyes, and he became a child once more. Donovan was still a teenager, after all, and he had failed. The promises that he had made to Julio were worth nothing anymore. There was no chance that he could succeed. Still, he listened. Maya apologized, seemingly to the Master, but he wondered whether that was true. Would it be better if he lied to himself?

Could Donovan greet death with the belief that everything would be okay? Perhaps it had to be so. This was not the Maya he remembered, and this was not the Maya he wanted to remember.

Donovan closed his eyes, his chest heaving from his heavy sobs. He understood what Maya was saying, and he would forgive her. “It’s—okay—” The boy whispered softly enough for only Maya to hear. After fetching the last of his strength, that surge before he finally he gave up, he opened his eyes again.

The Master stepped forth, tossing the dagger to the floor. The clang of the blade against the floor echoed throughout the room. “Go on, then, Maya,” he challenged, “have your last bit of fun.”

Donovan then weakly shifted his eyes back to the Doctor. He’d disappointed him. Donovan had resorted to violence, and now he was going to die. He didn’t know if he felt worse about that or about the fact that he was leaving the Doctor alone. The Doctor shouldn’t be alone, but Donovan clung to the belief that the Doctor could still find a way to save the others. It was too late for him.

“It’s okay,” he choked to Maya, no longer trying to keep back his weeps. Donny thought of everyone that he could meet after death. His Mum and his Dad, Juls, Laura, and his brother were all in his thoughts. His brother more so than anyone else, and he couldn’t hide him anymore. Donovan did not speak of him, but he missed him every single day. “Please be there, Dillon. I don’t want to be without you anymore.”

Donovan's eyes, glossed and filled with tears, sought comfort in the Doctor. It was with him that his eyes would remain. 

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2015, 06:26:47 am »
There weren’t thoughts during the action, just the actions themselves. Legs needed to be broken, arms had to be crippled, the chest really needed to deflate more. The bat met its mark again and again, but there was no indication that it was fun. Maya didn’t laugh, didn’t smile.

There was a joke somewhere about how she was still being efficient—she was efficiently following orders. Another day, another place, she might have thought of it.

When the metal of the blade hit the floor, Maya tossed the bat off to the side, careful to ensure it wouldn’t hit anyone in the process. She scooped up the knife without a thought or a word and walked around Donovan until she was in front of him again. His eyes were on the Doctor.

The Doctor held those glassy eyes in his own, trying desperately not to let the tears spill but he couldn’t stop them. He wouldn’t blink them away, and so they just slowly rolled over as he was forced to witness this while all the others looked away.
‘This is my fault.’ If he hadn’t been so hung up on the fact that the Master was another Time Lord, that the Master had once been his friend, this never would have happened.

If he could have just treated the Master like a dalek, or a cyberman, or anything else, they’d all be better for it.

Maya knelt before Donovan as he told her it was okay. She didn’t believe him at all as she grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him up so that she had clean access to his neck. ‘Last bit of fun’ meant killing to her, and she’d do it, even if it had to be with this dagger. Even if it had to be so personal.

He mentioned a Dillon, and Maya hoped that he was there for Donovan as well before she plunged the knife into his throat, and pulled it down to open the wound wide, so he’d bleed out quick. Then, she let him go, to fall back onto the floor. She rose and held out the bloody knife for the Master to retrieve. Her eyes, however, stared at the door.

The Doctor waited until the life was gone from Donovan’s eyes, and then he brought his knees up to his chest and hid his face behind them. He didn’t care anymore about trying to appear as if he had it all together. Martha was dead. Donovan was dead.
‘And it’s all my fault.’

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2015, 06:50:57 am »
Jack only risked a look only after the swings had ended, after the dagger was thrown, and after the struggle was over. When he did, he saw Maya handing the dagger back to the Master, stained in blood. The boy rested motionless on the floor, a pool of blood beneath him, traceable back to his neck where there was a large gash. The Doctor buried himself in his knees, and Jack wanted to do the same thing. Their defeat was obvious.

The Master took the bloody dagger from Maya, and paced around the corpse. “Well done, Maya,” he said, and at least he looked happy about how things transpired. “You’ll need to clean this up,” he told her, cleaning the blood of his dagger on a nearby guard, “but not yet. Let the…,” he took a look at Donovan, noting the age. It had made no difference. “Let the boy lose his color, first. Let the others take a good look at and learn from the foolish boy.”

Lucy was still looking from above, and the look in her face had been exactly as it was before – empty and hollow. Robert looked like he had recovered, but he still looked shaken up. The Master noticed it, and he also noticed that Robert had put his allegiance on the traitor boy. His poor judgment would have to be punished one way or the other.

Maya, however, was now the Master’s most valuable possession. To him, there was no longer any doubt as to her allegiance. She had proven herself time and time again, and he recognized that the weakness that plagued most humans was only now making an appearance on her. She’d need to work on that, but she’d fared a lot better than the rest.

“After it’s lost its color and you've cleaned it, come find me, Maya.” He began his retreat. “I have decided that tomorrow I begin my assault on the rest of the universe. There is nothing keeping me here any longer. Doctor,” he turned to the other Time Lord, “I hope you enjoy the view, and I hope you have learned your lesson.”

With a cackle, the Master retreated from the room.