Paragraphite

Food! Read 970 times

Morpheus

• God of Dreams and HBIC
    • View Profile
Food!
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:45:51 pm »
HEY EVERYBODY!

I like to eat and I think most people enjoy eating to so let's trade some recipes! I'll go first!

Marmahon

Ingredients:
1 bag of cous-cous
Cilantro
Garlic (Minced)
1 Onion
2 bags of Peas and Carrots
3 Chicken Breasts
1 large red and green bell pepper
1 can of Rotel
Olive Oil
Butter/ Margarine
Sofrito
Curry
Turmeric
Sazon Goya
Chicken Flavored bouillon
1 bottle of beer

Directions:

1)   Cut the fat off the chicken with scissors but leave the bone as this gives the stew flavor.
2)   Cut the bell peppers and the onions into miniature cube sized pieces.
3)   Put aside some of the bell peppers and onions for later use.
4)   Put a pinch of olive oil, some garlic, the onions, and the bell peppers into a large pot on the stove. Remember to spread the olive oil all over the bottom of the pot.
5)   After cooking the mixture for a while add the sofrito, the cilantro, and a can of Rotel.
6)   Mix well and finally add the chicken and then add water until everything is well submerged.
7)   After cooking the stew for a while the chicken should be cooked thoroughly as well. Take out the Chicken breasts and let them cool.
8)   After the chicken is done cooling separate them into small strips.
9)   In a separate pot melt about half a stick of butter/margarine.
10)   Add about a spoonful of minced garlic to the melted butter.
11)   Mix well and then add the cous-cous and the rest of the bell peppers and onions you put aside earlier.
12)   Get a drainer and drain some of the stew into the cous-cous. Use the drainer to catch the vegetables that are in the stew.
13)   Add the chicken and the peas and carrots to the cous-cous.
14)   Drain most of the stew but leave some aside for the next step.
15)   In a cup put about two bags of Sazon Goya, a spoonful of curry and turmeric and two spoonfuls of the bouillon. Put some of the stew into the cup, mix it well and then add it to the cous-cous.
16)   Drain any of the remaining stew into the cous-cous. Also, be sure to press into the vegetables in the drainer with a large spoon to gather all the stew.
17)   When the cous-cous is almost done absorbing most of the stew add a bottle of beer and mix well.
18)   As cous-cous is a pasta, move it from the walls of the pot to the center occasionally to avoid sticking.
19)   As soon as all of the cous-cous has absorbed the stew, you’ve finished making the Marmahon! Enjoy!

NOTE: This recipe will make enough Marmahon for about 6 – 8 people. If you’re going to have a bigger party you have to get more or the same ingredients. Also, even though this Marmahon is made with chicken, you can use a different poultry to make a healthier alternative, it should be noted though that different poultry will take longer to cook.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: Food!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 03:56:41 pm »
I also love to eat, and I approve of this thread idea.

So I'm going to contribute my favorite pasta salad that I was making at least once a week for several weeks. Then the cold weather came.

~*Chipotle Lime Macaroni Salad*~

What you need:

16 oz dried macaroni noodles
1 Lime (for juice and zest)
2.25 oz sliced olives
"1" Green onion (I do not know if they mean one bundle, or literally one--I go with one bundle)
2/3-3/4 cup of mayonnaise
1/4-1/2 tsp of cumin
3 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/2 cup diced cheddar cheese (or shredded)
Salt to flavor.
Optional: Celery, however much you want.

Really those numbers are just guidelines. I've gotten to the point where I don't even really look at them anymore...

So, this is what you do.

1. Cook the pasta. Drain the water from it.
2. Mix up the mayo, cumin, lime zest (1/4 tsp or so), lime juice (1/2 tsp or so), salt.
3. Cut up olives, green onion, chipotle peppers, and any other ingredients (like celery).
4. Mix it all together in a giant bowl. Add cheese last (if you even want the cheese. I tend to use less cheese).
5. Eat.

Here is the "official" recipe in case I forgot things: Click. Mine is adapted because I found using more peppers and a bit more sauce fit my tastes better.

Morpheus

• God of Dreams and HBIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:42:34 pm »
Next for the Paragraphite Cookbook:

Monday – Friday Soup
So good you'll want it every day of the week!

Ingredients:
32 ounces vegetable stock
32 ounces filtered water
16 ounces fresh or frozen okra, cut into bite-size pieces
16 ounces peeled baby carrots
3 beets, peeled and sliced
1 large Maui sweet onion, peeled and chopped lengthwise
1 bunch beet greens, cleaned and chopped
1 tablespoon hemp oil (optional)
1 tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)

Directions:

Heat stock and water in an 8-quart soup pot on medium-high heat. Add okra, carrots, beets and onions.

Bring mixture to just under a boil, add beet greens. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Cover pot and let sit for 1 to 2 hours. Instead of boiling the soup, this process will help maintain the vegetables’ nutrients.

Ladle into soup bowl. Garnish with hemp oil and seeds. Enjoy!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:13:42 am »
These are my two most requested recipes I've made and take places. Usually to a large crew. They can feed a good amount of folks, or make enough for my little family of 4 to have left overs for a few days, you have been forewarned that these make a lot of food. They are good for freezing and eating/giving away later too. (Yes I know this makes me sound like an old lady with her freezer stocked with food, but I'm not old, perhaps a bit old fashioned)

Goulash Lasagna(Most requested non pastry/dessert dish)

1 lb Ground Beef (we use the 80/20 fat content)

1-2 Tbl Chopped Green Onion (optional)

1 tsp Garlic Powder (optional)

12 oz (one box) Pasta - Rotini or Macaroni are our favorites

1 32 oz Low Fat Small Curd Cottage Cheese (you can use ricotta... but I think it is super gross)

1 Large Egg

1 tsp Parsley Flakes

1 Jar (24 oz) Pasta Sauce- we use Meat Flavor or Garlic and Herb flavor

2 1/2 Cups shredded cheese, divided (We mix 1 1/2 Cups cheddar and 1 Cup Mozzarella)

Cook pasta as instructed on package, drain and rinse with cool water until warm instead of hot.

In a skillet, brown hamburger, green onions and garlic powder until fully cooked. Drain meat as needed and let cool slightly until warm instead of hot.

Letting the noodles and meat cool slightly helps to let the cheese in the next steps from melting and stick instead of blending evenly through the whole mix.

In a large bowl combine: cottage cheese, egg, and parsley. Mix together until egg is well incorporated.

In the same bowl add 2 cups of the cheese, the entire jar of pasta sauce, warm noodles and meat. Mix together with a big spoon until all the ingredients are well combined.

Spread mix out evenly into a 9x13 casserole dish, then sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese across the top.

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the dish is bubbly.

I usually start boiling the water to cook the noodles first since this seems to take the longest. While I wait for that I combine the other ingredients in the bowl then begin to brown the beef. This way the mix is ready as soon as the noodles and beef are slightly cool.

This dish has also been made with ground turkey instead of beef. It has also been made with only cheddar or only mozzarella according to preferred tastes.

Ranch Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole

2 Cups Rice

1 1/2 - 2 Cups Cubed Chicken

1 Package (8 oz) Fully Cooked Diced Ham

2 Cans (10.5 oz) Cream of Chicken Soup

2 Tbl Milk

1 tsp Ranch Dressing Mix

6-8 Slices Swiss Cheese (Mozzarella can be substituted if Swiss is too strong for your kids)

Bread Crumbs (Optional)

Cook rice fully per instructions.

Cube chicken and cook fully.

In a large bowl combine all ingredients except rice, cheese and bread crumbs. Mix until well combined.

Spread rice in the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish, spread mix over top of the rice. Place slices of cheese on top of mix. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.

Wrap casserole with tin foil and bake at 350 for 25-30 mins until cheese is melted and mix as bubbled down into the rice.

Variations we've done instead of bread crumbs on top are french onions, crunched up chines noodles, or smashed plain corn flakes.

I'll post desserts sometime ^_^