Paragraphite

Uncivil War [Closed] Read 6316 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: Uncivil War [Closed]
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 08:51:46 pm »
Dorian slides down the booth he is sitting in to make room for Ruby, who takes a seat next to him. She does not speak, but begins to empty her cloth bag of items. It is Dorian who watches the woman’s eyes as she takes in the items that Ruby begins to sift through, setting some aside to prepare for a potion.

“What…what are you making?”
Her voice trembles with knowledge, with suspicion that she knows what is going to be made.

Ruby does not answer. She simply begins to mix the ingredients for a rather potent truth serum. Most truth serums were easy to evade by not speaking until it wore off. This one would cause pain unto death until the person actually spoke the truth. After a few more moments, the woman says again,
“Whatever you want, I’ll—”

“Yes,” and there is no emotion in Ruby’s voice, “You will.” Because all she wanted was information, and this, though painful, was the most reliable way to get it.

The woman pulled at her bonds then, but Dorian reached across the table and pinned her bound hands under his.

~***~

The man staggers under the pull, but the woman is small. He remains standing until the shift makes him slip in the mud. He falls to just a knee, but his hand has found her hair. He does not let go, and in fact pulls roughly on the strands of hair he has so that she will find herself on her knees with him.

Others begin to gather around to assist if needed.

~***~

The answer is obvious before she nods. The air cools further, suggesting Zander’s rage even though he does not yell, and does not strike.

Lord Avendale speaks in his silence,
“Choose your words wisely,” he speaks for only her ears, first, then asks, “Why did you not inform Zander here?” More congenially, less accusative. Curious, as always. He can see Zander want to speak, but a look keeps him silent, keeps him waiting for an answer.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 09:08:09 pm »
Kent continues his watch at the door, as he was told. Making sure no one else comes in or leaves.

The others are watching Dorian and Ruby,wondering if this woman will just speak her truth before Ruby goes through with this, or if she will put herself through the pain.

The one who'd spoken to Kent earlier has shifted to the back of the room, apparently not wanting to watch this at all.

~***~

She grabs at the hand that holds her hair. The laughter gone, giving him quite the glare.

She makes no attempt to get away anymore, just wanting him to release her hair. "Alright. Alright.... Oww... You win.." She speaks very quietly, only loud enough for him to hear.

~***~

She shivers a little when it get's colder, taking a moment before speaking, keeping her eyes always on Zander. "Because I would have lost my job and place to sleep.. I.. I also care for a child.. I didn't know what would happen if I said anything... I was scared...." She doesn't seem to be lying at all. And yeah, she's at least a little scared right now.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 04:35:46 pm »
Even Dorian wished he could look away, but he knew it was better not to. He never liked what poison did. He did turn his gaze once to the few dead soldiers on the floor, to remind himself of what this woman had done. She had poisoned his fellows, his friends.

She deserved this, he told himself, then the poison was finished and put into a glass of water. The water didn’t change at all, no color, no sizzling. The poison mixed in seamlessly.
“Please….” The woman begged.

Ruby said nothing, but slid out of the booth with the poison in hand. Dorian followed her lead, glanced at Kent, almost apologetic for what was to happen, and then walked to the bound woman and tilted her head back. He had done this before. Prisoners never wanted to drink poison, and Ruby rarely hid it from them. He pinched the woman’s nose.

Eventually, she had to open her mouth to breathe, and that was when the liquid was poured into her mouth. Dorian shut it quick so that she would be forced to swallow, and then released her head, her nose.

Ruby took a seat. Dorian did not.
“It won’t hurt if you do not try to lie or withhold information.” She comforted. Then, she asked, “Who else is among your ranks in this town?”

The woman was silent for several seconds, trying to ignore the growing pain as every second she didn’t respond caused her stomach to twist and turn. It felt like the acid within was on fire and burning through the stomach’s lining.
“Ok!” She blurted, and she began to list others within the town, including the owner and son of the place Zander and Lord Avendale were at. Depending on the information they listened to when Lord Avendale spoke to the mercenaries, they might recognize those names.

~***~

The soldier did not release her hair immediately. It was his turn to let out a single note of a laugh,
“Then be good and I won’t pull all your pretty hair out of your head,” he said, “You can stay the night in a cell for this trespassing, unless you want to tell me just what the hell you were doing here in the first place?” With so many others close by, he was quite a bit more confident now, not that he had ever worried.

She had dared to enter into a soldier’s encampment in plain sight.

~***~

Fear was a powerful motivator. Lord Avendale knew this better than Zander, who trained his soldiers to overcome fear. He saw weakness in those who caved in. The man of ice could not truly understand.

“Ah,” Lord Avendale let his voice flow over the situation. “Let us just clarify, before Lord Nimmeth does anything irrational, that the father is also a sympathizer with the rebels?” He knew with that clarification, Zander would be off to execute that man to ensure the safety of the diplomats. Poisoned food couldn’t be coming up to them, after all.

Frost started to fleck the windows. For all Zander’s talk of controlling emotions and overcoming fear, it was evident he was not as good as he liked at it. His magic was often driven by his emotions. When he was angry, there was very little he could do to hide it.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 04:53:28 pm »
Kent is just watching out the door, trying not to pay any attention to what's happening between Dorian, Ruby and the woman. He very much seems like he'd like to leave right now, though he stays, because leaving would be suspicious.

None of them seem comfortable with this situation at all, though only Kent and the one who moved to the back are really showing the discomfort at this time.

~***~

"Let go." She speaks a little louder now, seeming unaffected by him, or the others standing around. "Ask Kent why I was here if you must know. He's one of the mercenaries Avendale hired.." She's still speaking barely loud enough for the others to hear even though it's louder than before.

~***~

She still keeps her eyes on Zander, getting more nervous when this new question arises.

" I.. I do not know for certain.." The stutter is back slightly, though apart from that this lie seems convincing enough.

When the windows start to frost she shifts on her feet a little. Rather nervous looking. Wondering what he'll do.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 11:23:18 pm »
Dorian and Ruby are unfamiliar with the names, but Dorian begins to scribble them down, reaching for a napkin and then hurriedly locating a writing utensil. He hopes he catches them all, before Ruby continues.

“And what plans do you have?”

Hesitation. It does not last as she winces in agony, nearly doubles over as the poison growls in her stomach.
“To kill Lord Nimmeth, Lord Avendale, and all the others while making it seem as if it were the actions of Dalmasc, so that you lot would go to war with them and be weakened from a war with two enemies. Then things might change when Dalmasc wins.”

Ruby’s eyes narrow at that. Clever, but it would never work. 

~***~

The guard is not impressed. He is not a fan of mercenaries.
“Maybe I will,” he twists his hand in her hair to tighten the grip, “You’ll just have to sit in a cell until I hear from him, then.” He intends to drag her off, but is stopped by a call.

“Trenton!”

~***~

“I’ll—”

“Wait,” Lord Avendale interrupts. Zander looks like he will argue, and so Avendale explains. “Your methods of information gathering on your own are not as good as those you employ. I saw Ruby here. I shall find her. You must wait here in case the other diplomat arrives. When I have retrieved Ruby, then you can question the owner,” he explains.

Zander glares, but considering that the Lord is actually going to do something himself, he decides to humor it.
“Very well. Five minutes.”

Haradion agrees to the terms with a smile. He looks to his other guards.
“Watch the girl,” he instructs before exiting the tavern. The guards stay behind, leaving Avendale for once, alone.

He does not tarry, but heads right towards the soldier’s encampment, thinking it the best place to figure out where Ruby is. He is not at all surprised of the scene he walks in on. He recognizes the one holding poor Alix, mentally sighs, and calls out,
“Trenton!”

A glare meets him, but the Lord is unphased,
“Would you mind releasing her? I am on orders from Zander and I rather need at least one of my guards around,” a good enough excuse.

“Where are the rest?”

“Busy,” he shrugs it off. “Please, now.”

Not wanting to deal with Zander, and trusting Haradion wouldn’t lie about something like that, the soldier releases the woman at last, though his glare suggests that next time, he won’t hesitate to see her dead for trespassing. He does mention it,
“She was here without accompaniment.”

“Was she?”
He doesn’t seem concerned at all. “So am I,” of course, he was noble. That made all the difference in their society. “Come along, Alix. I need to find Ruby.”

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 12:50:20 am »
Kent looks over. " I don't quite really remember, but I think two of those names belong to members of the family running the tavern Zander is in right now.." The others seem to agree, but no one is sure. He's keeping his gaze away from the woman that's been poisoned as well. Seeming very uncomfortable with this.

The guy at the back of the room is silent and refuses to watch. Seems he really really hates this for one reason or another.

~***~

Rin stays where she is unless told otherwise, unsure of what to do now. Being too cautious to take her eyes off Zander since he seems a bit angry.

~***~
When he tightens his grip like that, she takes a swing at his face. Very frustrated with the situation.

When Avendale shows up and she is released, she grins at the guy, and mumbles to him "I win." She is not phased by his glare, just laughing a bit at it and going to Lord Avendale to play at being a guard. What she doesn't do, though, is inform him that she is likely back at the tavern where the men were poisoned.

"Thanks for that.." She mumbles to him once she's close enough to him for only him to hear. This will be the first time she's spoken directly to him as well. She pulls her hair back now and ties it into a low ponytail behind her head, since it's wet and muddy. If he takes to noticing, he may see part of a star behind her ear while she's tying the hair, but once she lets go they are hidden again.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 09:56:01 pm »
‘Zander can handle himself.’ Such is the thought that passes through Dorian’s mind, but he knows that if it is true, then they really need to wrap this interrogation up and head back towards the man. Dorian speaks aloud, “Is there anything else we need to know, Ruby?”

She considers, keeping her gaze on the woman,
“Who has organized this?” Though she has a suspicion already.

The name that slips the woman’s lips is indeed familiar, one of the rebels who had made a name as a leader. She nods, rises, and then throws a dagger right into the woman’s throat.
“I’ll go to Zander,” she informs Dorian, “Clean up, please,” and with that, Ruby heads for the door as the woman falls off of her seat, hands clawing at the blade, unaware her life is already over.

~***~

As Alix steps closer, Haradion asks,
“Have you seen Ruby?”

The guard answers, albeit grudgingly,
“Yeah,” adds, “She looked in a hurry. Haven’t seen where she went.” Lord Avendale nods and turns away from him, walking with Alix away from the encampment. He doubts that Ruby has remained if she was in a hurry.

Gratitude escapes her lips. He gives no response to that, but instead asks,
“Do you know where Ruby might have gone?” He does glance over, and notices the star then. It bothers him little, though he does understand the meaning usually associated with those who have stars.

He’s worked in the underground long enough to know.

~***~

Zander starts to move once Haradion has gone.
“Where are you going?”

He immediately dislikes the questioning tone of the guard.
“To ensure the owner of the establishment does not run away.” It was quite possible the man was aware of all that happened. “Not that I need to explain myself to the likes of you,” he then looks at the woman. “You know where he lives, and where he might be. Take me to him.”

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 10:13:06 pm »
None of Kent's men, or Kent himself seem exactly comfortable with the way that situation ended, but none make a comment. Kent stays by the door, letting Ruby leave of course, and the man who had moved to the back of the room also stays were he is.

The other move to help Dorian with the cleaning up, seeming a bit more immune to this kind of situation.

~***~

"The tavern to the west side of town is likely." She glances over at him as she speaks, still keeping her voice very low. "Why did you hire Kent's band?" She just seems curious about this.

~***~

She is even more nervous now than she was before. But she nods and takes to showing Zander the way. Not speaking or making eye contact with him.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:22:34 pm by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 12:35:08 am »
Dorian nods his gratitude to the man who moves to help him. “C’mon, we’ll take the bodies outside and see about burning them,” he hoped he could talk a mage into doing it, but had a feeling they’d be creating a pyre themselves for the dead, and then scrubbing up the place all on their own.

Such was usually his luck.

Ruby’s luck was not much better. When she reaches the inn, Zander and the others are already gone. She ends up sitting down at one of the tables, certain Zander would return since this was ‘home base’. She couldn’t imagine him leaving the diplomats for long.

~***~

Haradion nods his understanding when Alix gives him a destination.

He takes no time to answer Alix’s question. He had been asked it many times, by many people.
“I prefer those who work for coin. Their motives are obvious. Those who work for the king are annoying,” Zander included. “They are often unwilling to go against their codes of conduct when it is necessary.” They could not think on their own. They followed the rules of conduct to a fault.

Mercenaries would do what he said, if he gave them enough money, and he had been blessed to be born noble.
“Why do you wish to know?”

~***~

Zander follows after Rin, and the guards accompany them. They had been ordered to watch the girl, after all.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2014, 12:54:53 am »
He helps Dorian carry the body, seeming unable to make himself look at her face, and having a hard time looking at her at all, but he does his best to help. He doesn't seem to mind the messy work, just the fact that this was a woman.

A child peeks his little head out of the kitchen when Ruby enters, trying not to be noticed. He seems curious about what happened out here.

~***~

Alix gives a small laugh when he says the kings men are annoying. "Ah. But Kent still has a level of honor he must uphold.. No matter how much coin is thrown at him or his men, they won't break their little code they've made for themselves."

She takes a moment to think before answering his question. "Because according to certain whispers and little birds you could outfight Kent's entire band. I was wondering why you feel it necessary to waste money on protection you do not need.." Her voice stays very low the whole time, so this conversation is not overheard it seems.

~***~

She leads him along a little, taking a bit of a longer rout, so when they arrive the owner is hopefully already gone. Though she tries to keep it from being obvious.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2014, 01:11:59 am »
Haradion Avendale's smile becomes wicked, “Lots of people whisper about me,” he notes.

What she said was probably true, but Haradion has little reason to trust her,
“There are those who claim I am with the rebels, those who think I want to usurp the king, or poison my father because he is taking too long to die. The amount of times I've been called a traitor....” how many of the rumors about him were true was always questionable, but he was a popular figure to speak of. “I believe there used to be one that claimed I was His Majesty’s bastard,” he chuckled at that.

No, he was certainly his father’s son, through and through.
“As I said, though, protection is not all I ask of my mercenaries. It is all I ask now, for there are rebels about,” that much was obvious now. “And that is all I require of Kent and his men. Protection, whether or not I need it is...not relevant." There were people who needed to think that he did. There were people who needed to wonder. He had to keep up the questions about his capabilities, so that no one ever figured him out, "But I will keep your advice in mind,” and then he chuckles, “Perhaps you’d fill me in on this code, since you are one of his?”

Though they have reached the tavern by then, and he does not press her for the answer as he walks in.

There is blood about, a healer. Dorian returns to the room with blood on his hands, and another mercenary. Haradion asks,
“Where is Ruby?”

“She went to Zander. What are you doing here?”

He sighs,
“Zander asked me to fetch her. Seems we have a rebel problem,” that much was obvious. “A bit of clean-up work is going to be necessary, isn’t it?”

“I have names,”
Dorian volunteered.

Haradion, however, looks to Kent, clearly expecting information to come from him.

~***~

Ruby notes the child as her eyes skim the room. They have already fallen on the body, which is strange. Zander tends to clean up after himself.
‘Must be a hurry.’ She is tempted to do so, thinking of what a sight that would make for the foreign diplomat.

Then she sees the child.
“Hello?”

~***~

When the group arrives at the man’s house, Zander knocks. There is no response, and Zander can hear nothing within.

He motions to the guards and they step back. In a simple motion, Zander kicks the door down and steps into the house, immediately going through it, but finding nothing. He lets out a frustrated growl when he returns to the door,
“Gone.” He’d have to be hunted down. He’d send out some of his men to do that. 

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2014, 01:29:08 am »
"Indeed they do.." She listens to his account of all the rumors he's heard about himself, seeming ever so slightly uninterested. But does give a small smile when he mentions being the king's bastard.

"You could just as easily defend yourself against the rebels as you could against Kent and his band, should they decide to turn on you." She laughs a little when he speaks about the relevance of him needing protection. "If the question was not relevant, I would not have asked it.."

She makes no attempt to answer the question about the code anyway. And when he enters the tavern, she waits outside.

When he looks to Kent for the names, Kent shrugs. "He will remember them better than I. I was set to watch the door. He has a list." He seems to mean no disrespect, just stating the fact that Dorian is better equipped to answer.

~***~

He ducks back behind the wall quickly. Peeking again a few moments later. This child seems to be maybe 5 years of age, and very shy of her. If he can see the body from there, he makes no reaction to it. Just focused on the living person in the room.

~***~

Rin keeps her head down, and keeps quiet. Relieved that he got away, and hoping he can make it far enough quickly so that he will not get caught. She is very nervous when Zander returns as frustrated as he seems, she wonders if he'll turn that frustration onto her for withholding information and taking a longer rout.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:48:26 am by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 07:26:50 pm »
“You don’t know that for certain,” Lord Avendale accused Alix. Of course, she couldn’t know for certain if he could or could not defend himself. He was hopeful it wouldn’t ever need to be known. He does not appear to notice his question went unanswered, but he does. It is a mental mark against her.

So far, Kent has been on top of things despite it all. He doesn’t simply ignore the unspoken question directed at him, but answers it by deferring to his ‘better’. Haradion looks to Dorian, who begins to list names,
“Ah,” he sighs, “So it was that man at the inn, too.”

“And the leader’s pretty familiar.”

The leader doesn’t concern Haradion.
“Thank you for the names, Dorian.” He has what he needs. “I suppose I came here for naught, so I’ll leave you to all the clean-up.” He doesn’t envy them. “I’m sure Ruby will return with official orders from Zander.” So far as who to go looking for, who to hunt down, and those sorts of things.

Haradion turns to the door to leave, having no more business there. He has other affairs to get in order.

~***~

Zander is, of course, unaware of the longer route taken. He returns using it, and finds Ruby waiting for him.
“You’re late.”

“You don’t know that,”
she snaps back, considering he was gone when she arrived. He hadn't even called for her. However, she regrets the words as the blood spilled starts to ice over. “My apologies, sir.” She bows her head, “I came to find you to report on rebel activity in the town. I had names, and one—”

“—was probably the owner here,”
he notes. “Yes, I’ll want him hunted down, as well as all the others, preferably before nightfall.”

‘No rest for the wicked.’ “Very well, sir,” Ruby rises to stand. She does not look again at the child, nor those in Zander’s company, but turns to leave. She has her orders to follow. Find the names, and kill them.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 08:08:38 pm »
She smiles a bit when he says she could not know for certain, but makes no argument against it. Standing out in the rain, waiting for him to leave and continue on his treck around town in search of Ruby, should she not be here.

Kent and the others will take to helping with the rest of the cleaning unless someone needs to keep watching the door after Haradion leaves.

"What can we do to help here?" He seems genuine in his offer, even though it's not the nicest task.

Alix will be two steps behind him after he exits, no longer wishing for conversation.

~***~

Rin keeps a few steps behind everyone if she can, very uncomfortable and nervous still. She makes to slip away into the kitchen once the group reaches the tavern again.

The boy scampers off once Ruby starts to leave, going out the back way and seeking to try and follow her, apparently curious. Moreso about what soldiers do than anything else. He's good at this too, keeping quiet and relatively out of sight. For a child anyway.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 01:20:45 am »
Dorian gives the place a once over before answering, “Well, I need someone to mop up this area of blood,” he motions to a few stains, “I need someone to build a pyre, and then we need to take all the bodies outside to put on the pyre. I think those are the major things that need to be done,” he waits then to see how they may divide themselves, planning to take over tasks left over, or help out with all of the tasks as he can.

~***~

Ruby and Haradion pass each other on their way to their respective locations without a word. Ruby does not go on to the tavern, for she imagines she can fetch Dorian to go with her once the others are organized. She instead goes back to the camp of soldiers. A few words are exchanged between herself and another, before he nods and runs off to fetch others who would be equipped for a mission to hunt down others, and who were also unnecessary so far as guard duty went here. She waits under the rain for them, not bothering to go off into a tent.

~***~

Haradion reaches the inn, but before he enters he tells Alix,
“You may leave now,” for he had made it safely to the inn. Her assistance was no longer required.

Besides, in the window he could see the two guards he’d set to watch the woman, though both were starting to follow her into the kitchen.

He steps in and calls,
“No need. I am back,” and he glances to Zander, “I take it there is no good news?”

“He has already fled,” he sounds irritated.

“I see,” he doesn’t sound sympathetic at all. “It is a shame they have you cooped up here,” he notes, and Zander makes a sound that suggests he agrees with those sentiments. “I hope the other diplomat arrives alive,” he says nothing else to Zander, but walks to the stairs to return to his room, his guards following.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 01:40:22 am »
Once Dorian finishes speaking, the one who had been at the back of the room moves to clean up the blood, Kent and one other go to help build the pyre, and the one who had helped you move the woman's body will help with moving the others. This is something they've done before, each apparently used to their respective tasks.

~***~

The little one will continue to follow and watch her, trying to find a little shelter though, so he can watch and not catch a chill at the same time. He is very intrigued by the way the soldiers behave, what they do. Finds it amazing and really cool.

~***~

Alix nods, but steps inside anyway, to be out of the rain for a moment and maybe warm up a little. She just stands by the door, not entering farther since she assumes it's a slightly unwelcome invasion.

Rin doesn't look back, just entering the kitchen. Though as Lord Avendale makes for the stairs she returns from the kitchen, making to leave, seeming highly worried and a little irritated.

Her and Alix make eye contact, and Rin's irritation seems to flare a little. She approaches and starts a mumbled conversation that is hard to make out, though it sounds a little unpleasant.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 08:52:47 pm »
The work is done easily enough. A fire is started despite the weather, and the bodies begin to burn. It isn’t a perfect pyre, but it works. The tavern is cleaned of blood as well, but it is clear that it will not be in operation that evening thanks to the events and the feeling of foreboding that has fallen on its workers.

~***~

The little boy is discovered as he seeks shelter underneath a building. The soldier inquires of him,
“What are you doing here?” Not unkindly, but there is annoyance considering earlier they had all been called to deal with a trespasser. He notes then that Ruby has returned, and there are soldiers gathering for orders.

She addresses them all,
“As we suspected, a plot was put into motion to kill our diplomat, Lord Avendale, as well as Zander and the rest of us. Some of you may be aware of those who were poisoned, some of whom died. I have the names of those involved in this plot, and I need them all hunted down and killed, tonight, by Zander’s orders. I suspect some of them are still within this town, unaware they’ve been called out. You will be divided into groups of three, and given names.”

She begins then to divide them, and gives each a group name, calling one other to join herself and Dorian in pursuit of the owner of the inn.

~***~

Zander is already at his wits end as the women begin to bicker and his ears strain to hear. He pounds a fist on the table,
“Both of you, out!” It is nearly a shout. At the top of the stairs, Avendale pauses, hearing this.

‘Oh dear.’ But he smiles, and then walks on, mentally preparing in case the man causes a fight. He knows who he has to back in these circumstances, but he imagines his mercenary to be smart enough to avoid such a thing.

“By order of His Majesty, I am taking control of this building in its entirety. I want all civilians out, and that includes the both of you.”
He then starts to walk to the kitchen, intending to clear literally everyone out and have this building simply be a meeting space. The owner had fled, and would be dead soon enough, anyway. The Crown would take control of the building and sell it to someone else, as with that man’s property.

He wants no more problems awaiting the foreign visitor.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 04:06:21 am »
Once that is done, Kent's men look to him for what to do next, and in turn he looks to Dorian. "What needs to be done next? Do you need help in searching for those who were named as being part of this whole mess?"

~***~

The boy pauses and looks up at the man, as if deciding what to do. After a moment he grins, "I'm on an adventure. Just like mommy. What are you doing here? are you a soldier too?" He seems very curious, and not daunted in the least by his annoyance. He continues to try and watch what Ruby and the others are doing as well, since that's what this adventure is about.

~***~

Rin jumps ever so slightly when Zander strikes the table, and turns to look at him, following the order to leave quickly as it is given. Alix, on the other hand, starts laughing. Seeming to find this situation completely amusing.

When he claims the building for the King, it starts a new bout of laughter as well. It seems she is not taking him very seriously at all.

Rin starts making her way through town, seeking out where the boy went, one building at a time. Not seeming to mind too much that she's getting soaked, just looking for the child now. Shaking her head at Alix and her behavior towards that situation.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:56:49 pm by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 10:36:45 pm »
The soldier finds the child’s questions strange, but humors him. “Yeah, I am. Who’s your mom?” He asks, wondering if it would be a soldier here, or someone else.

The soldiers start to break up, and Ruby heads off from the group with another in tow, off back towards the tavern where Dorian is.

The sight of the fire greets her, and she smiles, glad to see the work done. She walks in as Kent is asking his query,
“You’re rather helpful for a mercenary,” it was uncommon of Haradion’s men unless he wanted information on what the soldiers were up to, which did occur now and then. She wasn’t sure if they had such orders, or if they were generally interested in staying on everyone’s good side. “Zander had orders for us to find those involved in this. Dorian, myself, and Atem,” she motioned to the other man, who lifted his hand in a wave, “are going to go after the owner of the tavern Lord Avendale was staying at since he has fled.”

“And how, exactly, are we going to find him?”

Again, she motioned to Atem, and Dorian smacked his head. Of course. Atem had dogs well-trained who were good at following a scent. He hoped it would still be possible in this rain.
“Right. Well, uh, I guess if you want to,” Dorian shrugs, “You can come along with us.” They were really under no obligation to, and Dorian did find it a bit strange.

~***~

One listens. The other doesn’t. The other is a mercenary, one of Haradion’s. He has had to explain himself before for killing the man’s mercenaries, but the conversations rarely last long. The mercenaries that Haradion cares for, know how to stay out of trouble. Those that don’t, according to Haradion, never deserved their pay anyway.

Zander flicked his wrist up. There is no incantation and no words. The water clinging to Alix would begin to freeze, and he was pulling at more to freeze her to the spot. She’d die from it if she couldn’t get out of Zander’s sight or interrupt the spell beforehand. No one could breathe with their nostrils frozen over.

From above, Haradion lets out a sigh, and mutters in his own tongue something akin to ‘C’est la vie’.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2014, 01:13:26 am »
"That's a secret. Is it fun being a soldier?" He seems completely innocently curious. Seeming to find the fact that he's talking to a soldier quite amazing.

He smiles a little at Ruby's remark to his helpfulness."I get that more often then you know." He laughs a little, but doesn't give a reason as to why he's helpful unless he's asked.

Kent waves back to the man in a friendly manner. And when Dorian offers to let them come along he shrugs as well. "If you see no issue with it, we would be glad to help. Right?" He looks back at his fellows, and they give nods and murmurs of agreement.

~***~

Even though she is laughing, Alix is still watching Zander carefully. As he starts to move his wrist, she moves as well, walking to circle around him, and quickly retrieving something from inside her sleeve, sending it flying towards him fast.

It is a small blade easily hidden where she had it placed. She seems experienced with throwing knives as well. Not aiming to maim Zander, aiming to end him and the spell.

"Can we talk, or is it just a fight you're looking for?" She speaks barely loud enough for him to hear. She expects because of his status he'll be able to avoid her attack, though she almost hopes not. It would mean she wouldn't have to spin a story on the spot to get herself out of this mess.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:35:35 am by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 04:58:59 pm »
Fun was not a word the soldier would use with a kid. “Not…really,” there were moments. He had good friends here, but he didn’t really want others joining. He didn’t want some kid to get stars in his eyes and romanticize the job the way he had.

Of course, he didn’t want them to think it dishonorable,
“But it’s a necessary job and I’m good at it, so….” He was doing a poor job at this, he figured. He shrugged, not sure what to say.

~***~

Kent isn’t asked right then, though it is a curiosity. Ruby keeps it to herself for the time being. Kent does want to come along it seems.
“All right then,” she says. “Come along with us. There are horses we can use, and they’ll be able to keep up easier with Atem’s dogs if we’re on horseback.”

“I will need a scent,”
he notes.

“We’ll find something in the inn before we leave. I’m sure the man left something behind.”
If not there, Zander knew where the house was. Another motion, and Ruby leads the way out of the inn and towards the soldier’s encampment once more, where the group will be able to get horses.

~***~

A swipe to the side and the dagger freezes in air, losing its momentum and falling to the ground before it connects. It is a momentary interruption, one that Zander could easily come back from, but he is not without reason. He hears her speak.

His defenses rise rather than offense, a chill wind encircling him, moving the dust across the floor around his feet.
“I heard Lord Avendale dismiss you, and I have ordered you out. There is no talking if you refuse. This place is to be used for one purpose only, and you are not party to that purpose.” The diplomats and their guards, alone.

She had been dismissed.
“So, leave, or I’ll mark you as one of the rebels for your disobedience.” He didn’t care where she ran off to, so long as it wasn’t here. He’d dealt with enough disturbances today, so this place he intended to keep safe, even if it was by purging it of everyone who could possibly be a threat. He had made his orders clear, and pulled rank by calling on His Majesty’s authority.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 05:22:58 pm »
"Why isn't it fun?" He seems very curious. It also seems a little too late to keep the stars and romanticizing out of the boy's eyes.

"What do you do as a soldier? And why did you join if it's not fun?" He's still looking up at the man, the look in his eyes suggests he thinks this man is the coolest person he's ever met.

Rin continues her search as well. When she comes to the line between the soldiers and civilians, she'll ask one of them if they've seen a small boy wandering around.

~***~

He nods and follows along, the rest of his band following as well, quietly talking among themselves. Save for Kent. He keeps quiet for now, just listening to the conversations of Ruby, Dorian and Atem, as well as the conversations of his fellows.

~***~

She seems to relax when he does not attack again. She stops walking as well. "It was never stated that I was in his employ, so I find it hard to believe he has the power to dismiss me." Again, speaking only loud enough for him to hear.

She laughs a little, quietly, when he claims he'll label her a rebel if she refuses to leave. "Would you allow me to stay and speak what I've been told to if it pertains to the men in the mountains and their stance in your fighting? They wish to know if you will give them reason to deny the rebel's call for help." She is quite the good liar, but there is also a little truth in what she says, which makes this hopefully a little more believable.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 06:07:01 pm »
‘People die.’

That was why it wasn’t fun.
‘You have to kill.’ That wasn’t fun, either. “It…you lose friends,” he couldn’t lie. It came as a sigh, a truth he didn’t want to say, “and it’s very…political. There will always be people who hate you just for what you do. You always have to be on guard, and you have to do things that don’t feel…right.” Because you were ordered to, or because the situation called for it.

It sometimes felt right later, when things were explained, but in the moment…not always.

“But I do it because I know I’m doing good. I’m helping, and I’m good at it, I’m capable of it, and I feel I should do my part to help out others so that…well, so they don’t have to do what I do.”
Strange way of putting it, but he did feel that way. He was capable, he could kill, fight, and defend. He could endure the loss of friends, and all in the effort to make sure others wouldn’t have to endure the things he did. “Why are you so interested, kid? You want to be a soldier one day?” that was obvious by the look in the kid’s eye.

~***~

They reach the horses, and Ruby figures out which of the horses Kent’s men can use. Many of them have personal owners, but some were brought along just to assist in pulling carts and carriage, or carrying luggage. Those are the horses which are offered over to Kent and his men.

Atem runs off for only a moment. He returns with his dogs, and Ruby then points them in the direction of the inn where Zander is staying.

~***~

The woman did not need to state she was in Haradion’s employ. The fact she had come in with the other mercenaries, and that Haradion did think he could order her was enough for Zander. Her attempt to change his belief did not work.

Her words about the mountain people did not work.
“If they want to talk they know how to reach us.” They were allowed the same paths towards diplomacy as anyone. “They know what will happen if they aid the rebels.” If they actually offered to help in this case, there was a chance they might go overlooked in the future, or even be given some protection.

If they chose to aid, the Crown would not forget. They would be exterminated.
“Out. Now.” If she refused again, he’d not bother with conversation once more. She had nothing to say to him, and he wanted to hear nothing from her.

If the mountain people wanted to speak, or had information, it was something she should have shared with Lord Avendale. He was the diplomat, not Zander.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 06:34:20 pm »
"I lose friends all the time." He states. Though He doesn't seem to understand what the soldier means by losing friends.

He stands there, and listens. Though it doesn't seem like the child completely understands all of what is said.

When the question comes about if he wants to be a soldier, he nods. "But not a soldier like you." He does not elaborate on his meaning.

"I'm gonna go now, okay? Bye!" He does not wait for the answer, just begins running off.

~***~

Kent and his men mumble thanks when offered the horses.

Most seem interested in Atem and the dogs as well, like they've never seen something of this nature happen before. Either that, or they just enjoy dogs. All except for the one who had shied away from the scene in the inn. He keeps a bit more distance from Atem and his dogs.

~***~

She speaks a little louder now, in a normal tone. "They do not trust your methods. Yes, they are aware of what will happen should they aid the rebels, that's why they sent someone to speak for them... I thought you would be the one to speak with... I am not very familiar with the way this kind of thing works. Have I made an error?" She seems genuine enough, though on the inside she wonders if this will work. Finding this new game she's decided to risk quite interesting.

She watches him carefully, and does take a few steps back towards the door, should this backfire and become violent again.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 07:56:04 pm »
The soldier just shakes his head in bemusement as the child goes running off. "Bye," he says awkwardly to his back, before shrugging it off and going about his day.

~***~

Unfortunately, despite how convincing she sounds, it is Haradion’s laugh from upstairs that seals her fate. He had never entered his room, only lingered above, out of sight.
“HARADION!” The shout earns his descent. His eyes are alight.

His answer is simple,
“Well, now I know how I ended up with one of the stars here.” He seems to have put pieces together, though he doesn’t reveal what they are or how they’re relevant.

Zander understands the meaning of stars, though. He doesn’t look away from Haradion as he extends his hand in the woman’s direction and fires a gust of wind full of quickly forming icicles at her. Lord Avendale does nothing to stop him. She played with ice, after all. 

The group, Ruby and the others, arrive at the inn in time to see this through one of its windows. Ruby all but leaps off her horse and then she is gone from sight in an instant.
"Shoot!" Dorian says and also gets off his horse. The dogs go running towards the door with a word to take care of the one that Zander has turned his attention on, no questions asked.

The door opens for them, but its opener is not seen. Ruby made it to the door first and slips behind Alix, intending to put a knife through the back of her throat.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2014, 01:40:07 am »
The child continues wandering through the soldiers camp, though takes to looking for shelter once again. None to pleased with the rain, even though he finds this adventure quite amusing.

Rin will go and search the encampment as well if she is allowed entry.

~***~

When Zander yells, she suppresses her own little bout of laughter. Watching quietly to see where this will turn, though not letting her guard drop. Keeping her attention on Zander.

She started moving the moment he began lifting his hand, still laughing a little, and cursing under her breath as well. She moves fast, dodging Ruby seemingly inadvertently while moving in the direction that leads away from the door. Looking to get her back to something solid, not a window or a door. Of course.

When dogs get involved, however, the amusement leaves her face. She looks for higher ground. She does not seem to like dogs much at all.

Kent and his men are slower, but they follow as well, Kent seeming almost annoyed that this turned out the way it did, as if it was expected, the others seeming to think it's rather amusing to watch.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:47:00 am by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2014, 06:04:21 pm »
The child was able to sneak around unnoticed, for its height escaped notice. It was on par with dogs, and overlooked for the most part. Rin, however, was the expected height of intruders. She was paused at the entrance, “Ma’am, you cannot go in here,” the guard sounded exasperated, since this had already happened earlier. “This area is for soldiers only. Is there something you need?”

~***~

Ruby slips into another shadow when her attack is dodged, though Zander saw her in the moment of materialization. He doesn’t let that thwart him. Icicles break against the wall, and start to freeze the floor. He uses that, and starts to shoot spikes of ice up from the ground to impale the woman.

Ruby has danced further away. Daggers are thrown now, instead of used as short swords, poisoned tips gleaming.

Dorian is at the door then, the dogs rushing to get at the woman. One yelps in pain as an icicle impales its leg, but the other three all lunge at the woman and attempt to bite and tackle her. Dorian places himself in the doorway, deciding to block an exit, and he watches the woman to decide how he might need to move to keep her from escaping. If Kent and his men try to enter, Dorian will make room for them to pass.

Curiously, Haradion does not act. This does not seem unusual to the others, and Zander has even positioned himself in a way to keep Haradion out of harm’s way, acting in place of Haradion’s guards.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2014, 10:09:40 pm »
He is sneaking around then, watching the soldiers. She will stop when she's told she can't enter, and look at the one speaking. "I'm afraid the child I care for might have sneaked in.. I'm just looking for him." She seems rather worried.

~***~

"Okay.. Okay.. Would everyone mind calming down for a moment?" She's doing her best, trying to move around and get behind and closer to Haradion. Make it harder for them to attack. She's avoiding the attacks the best she can as well, she mumbles."This is completely foolish..." She takes specific care to avoid the daggers, and that may impair her avoidance of the ice at that moment. She's also pulled her second knife from her sleeve, trying to keep the dogs at bay.

Kent will try to enter, and ask Dorian,"Is there anyway to stop the fighting and talk it out? I don't like losing members.." He seems worried, but does not intend to enter the fight. The others stay outside and watch through the windows.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 02:16:26 am »
The soldier frowns as the idea. “I can have others check around and see if he’s been spotted. Wait here,” the soldier said, and turned off to go send out the alert that a child might be wandering around, and its mother was looking for him, just guessing that Rin was the mother.

~***~

“No,” Haradion answers Kent, but he does not explain. It is clear his favor has left, and the reason was in Alix’s lies. He preferred mercenaries who were either good at it, or had no reason for it. He also preferred ones that knew how to pick their battles.

She did not. She disobeyed a noble and a general, twice. She presented him with false information and dared suggest she was not in Haradion’s employ. If such was to be the case, then Haradion had no use for her, and would see her dead for it. It was evident now she only had evil plotted for the lot of them to behave in such a way, and as she had the stars, Haradion didn’t think it would even be worth it to try and question her.

As such, the icicles continue to rise up, closing on her and blocking her path to limit her movement. They do not melt quickly, after all.

Ruby does her best to maneuver around the icicles to retrieve her lost daggers, in order to throw them again. Dorian remains where he is, still observing Alix’s movements in anticipation of moving in her way if she gets too close to an exit. 

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 09:29:34 pm »
Rin nods and waits. As the soldier turns to go and send out the alert, he may see the child for a moment before he's gone from sight again.

The kid is not being very careful anymore. Too amazed by his little adventure that  he's forgotten caution.

~***~

Kent shifts on his feet a little at that answer, seeming to find this a little hard to watch. The others in his group seem to find it quite fun to watch.

Alix continues to try and dodge the attacks as much as she can. As she moves to dodge another icicle she takes a wrong step, her arm is caught by the one she was trying to dodge and she falls. She tries to collect herself quickly, however, if the dogs are near enough they will have ample time to catch her.

Kent turns and leaves at that moment, apparently he is unable to watch what happens next.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:01:43 am by myazoma »