Paragraphite

Uncivil War [Closed] Read 6326 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Uncivil War [Closed]
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:37:26 pm »
The town had been fortified just before the rain started to fall. The mages wove their magic into the barriers that could not be seen, and the others added to structures already in place. The army of Belfast had advanced further into its own kingdom, to the outskirts where the rebels had gone, playing on the border.

The rebels were smart to utilize the border to their advantage. His Majesty did not wish to start a war with the neighboring kingdom, so it made striking at the rebels difficult. Fortunately, an emissary had at last been sent over into the Kingdom of Dalmasc and an ambassador was coming over to speak about this issue.

It was the reason this town of Greensville had been fortified. The ambassador had to be kept safe during these talks, as did their own diplomat.

The rain began as the man lifted his arms skyward and stretched, one of the few humans among this portion of the army. He let out a contented sigh as his arms fell back to his side, and he pushed his black bangs out of his gray eyes and smiled at the impromptu wooden wall that had been created.
“Well, that ought to do,” he said as he cast a glance to one of the other humans, this one female.

She gave a nod.
“C’mon, let’s go report and see what Zander wants us to do.” He motioned with his arm back towards the town, and she fell in step with him. They were both in uniform, though their uniforms differed. His was more plate-armor, with a few glyphs carved into it. He was not magical at all, but there were few who could wield a sword better than him.

His companion, the blonde woman, wore lighter armor, and it was all black. She was never seen on the frontlines, though she was certainly there, a speed demon with small blades and shadow magic.
“Have you seen the diplomat?” He asked.

She shook her head.
“Is it the parent or the child?” The diplomats were nobles of a rather prestigious family. She shrugged. “I hope it’s the parent.” The child worried him. The child seemed overly ambitious, and in truth, frightened the human. Of course, the child wasn’t a child anymore, but considered an adult. ‘Though they age so slow anyway….’

The man shook that thought off as both of them walked into the tavern that Zander had made home base for this event. It had been cleared out, and rooms were made for the ambassadors to rest in, and one was turned into a meeting room. Zander sat near the fireplace, a cup of honeyed wine in his hand, angular features casting shadows on his face.

The elf turned his attention as his ears caught the footsteps coming closer. Most of those in the army were elves, for humans were looked at with doubt in this time. A war had started, and the leaders were mostly unsatisfied humans who saw corruption and abuse going on under their Elven monarch. These two, Dorian and Ruby, had been raised from their youth in Elfish households, taken as tributes from the last war, from once-noble human houses.
“Yes?” Zander asked, moving one hand from his goblet to remove offending strands of platinum hair from his line of sight.

“The preparations are done. The walls are built, and have been reinforced with magic,”
Dorian reported, standing still and straight.

Zander nodded.
“What would you have us do now, sir?”

Dorian expected to hear him ordered to guard one of the gates, and Ruby set to watch duty, but Zander actually took a moment to consider. Dorian tried not to tap his foot. He did not have the patience of elves, after all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:50:54 pm by Krystal Itzume »

myazoma

• View Profile
Re: Uncivil War [Closed]
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:23:02 pm »
The group of guards approached, ambassador in tow, coming towards the town at a steady pace. They were all men in this band, or so it appeared. Even though there were a few who stood out as a little small. As they got closer it could be seen that there were mercenaries in this band, and none of them seemed pleasant.

One hung back a bit from the group, watching with a keen looking eye for anything amiss, though this person was small and appeared to be carrying no weapon. They entered town, and went in search of where the ambassador would be staying for the time they were here.

(Sorry if that sucked....)

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:51:33 pm »
It was the son who arrived and not the father, to Dorian’s immense disappointment. As he entered the tavern which other guards told him was the meeting place, he threw back his black hood. Zander rose in greeting as the young elf took a glance around, clearly dissatisfied with his surroundings.

Dorian made a motion, but then glanced to his side and was surprised to see Ruby was no longer there. She had stepped back before the motion was ever made, and had all but vanished in the shadows of the building.
“Well, I hope this choice in places doesn’t offend our guest,” the man said.

Zander kept his tone in check.
“We do not need to meet in an elaborate building. That would draw more attention, Lord Avendale.”

Lord Haradion Avendale sighed, shrugged, glanced back to his group of guards. He motioned to two of them,
“Come with me. The rest of you, do as Lord Nimmeth commands.” ‘Unless it conflicts with what I’ve told you.’ He didn’t need to specify that, or he hoped not. They were supposed to be intelligent mercenaries.

Zander Nimmeth let Haradion walk on to the upstairs, and then he looked at the group of guards he’d been presented with. His nose wrinkled in disgust. He didn’t like mercenaries.
“Stay out of trouble,” was his only command. He refused to trust them. He recalled then that two of his own guards were already here.

He glanced to Dorian, not bothering to try and locate Ruby with his eyes. It would be a futile task.
“Dorian, Ruby, stay with guards that Lord Avendale has brought.”

Ruby let the shadows fall away from her form, and bowed with a fist over her heart, just as Dorian did,
“Yes, sir.” They spoke in unison.

Dorian figured this meant they were off duty, more or less. He certainly hoped the mercenaries would be more interesting than performing actual duties, or some of the people in the official military.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 04:52:16 am »
The biggest man in the group takes to speaking first, the other's just mumbling among themselves for now. The smallest one slipping out just after Zander gave his order.

Kent: "Kent at your service. And what might be your names?" He has quite the friendly air about him, not something I'd assume you'd find around many mercenaries. He's smiling, and holding his hand out to Dorian for a handshake.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:02:01 am by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 05:22:55 am »
Zander turns his attention away from them. As Dorian wonders how to go about this in an amicable way, unused to dealing with mercenaries, the largest of the group steps up.

This movement stops Ruby from pursuing the one she noticed flee. Her dark blue eyes narrowed on the door, before turning to Kent, not softening in the least.

Dorian at least, was friendly in turn,
“Dorian Minton,” he reached out to accept the handshake, grinning at the large man, “Good to meet ya,” he answered, then shot Ruby a look just before their hands parted.

She offered a simple,
“Ruby Contrills,” as her introduction. Before she could ask after the one that ran off, though, Dorian spoke.

"I don't suppose you all know this town? I haven't been this far from the capital in my life and I don't know what's around," he wanted to relax a bit. Ruby scowled, but held her tongue.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:30:22 am »
Kent glances at his fellows, and they all seem in the same situation. None have ever been here, or at least been here long enough to know the town well. He laughs a bit before speaking "Seems it can be an bit of an adventure then I suppose. If you're willing, let's go see what there's to see around here. And maybe find a bite to eat and a drink along the way." He get's a chorus of approval at that last bit.

Meanwhile, the one who slipped away is trying to find a way to eavesdrop on what Zander might be up to, assuming he's either outside or near a window. If he's not, then the person just takes to wandering.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:37:04 am »
Zander’s business remains what he was ordered to do: to wait in that tavern for the other diplomat, and then to remain guard of the building while Lord Avendale spoke of the rebel situation. He does not intend to join the guards or mercenaries on their ‘adventure’ about the town.

He does move to a window in order to look out it and try to see early the arrival of the other diplomat. Quietly, he hopes they are not late. He is sick of the town.

In that same room, Dorian finds their situation to be amusing.
“I guess so,” he agrees, notes, “this place was a tavern, but you can see Zander’s ruined that.” Zander does not even look over. Normally, he would punish such words.

Dorian is relieved,
“Let’s head out then, yeah? I’m sure there’s still a couple businesses running, and I haven’t eaten since breakfast.”

Dorian walks to the door with plans to exit. He hears Ruby ask while walking after him,
“How did you meet Lord Avendale?” to Kent, since he had made himself the leader of the group by speaking for all of them.

It was a good question. Dorian had his suspicions. Lord Avendale never struck him as having clean hands.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:44:02 am »
He would have given a laugh at the comment about Zander ruining the tavern. Finding that quite amusing. Kent and his group are heading towards the exit as well.

He doesn't answer right away to the question. Thinking on it for a moment before speaking. "The same way any mercenary band meets a fellow with enough money and the willingness to trust.." Seems it was vague on purpose.

The person eavesdropping into Zander's silent window gazing waits for the group to exit the tavern, since it would have been hard not to hear that conversation, and has plans to join them once they're outside.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:15:41 pm »
The mercenaries stalls. The answer he gives is far from satisfactory, and it is on the tip of Ruby’s tongue to say something. ‘And if I do not know how that process works?’ She didn’t in practice, though she knew in theory. Imagining Lord Avendale in a seedy bar was somehow too easy, despite the man’s pristine appearances at court and around the castle.

She wondered if it was just something about his personality that made it that easy to imagine.
“I see,” was the response she gave, and immediately decided she did not like Kent.

Dorian could hear that judgment in her tone.

“I think there’s a good place for drinks more on the west side of town,”
towards one of the entrances that no one cared about. The diplomat from Dalmasc should be arriving from the east, and their group should have arrived from the north. “How long were you on the road for?” He asked conversationally as the group came into the western part of the town, which had plenty of guards and the evidence of the barriers, but was clearly not set up for the nobility to occupy.

Ruby noted the return of the one who left earlier, though Dorian was oblivions, part because he was in the lead, and part because he hadn’t done a headcount. He wasn’t too concerned.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 10:52:06 pm »
Kent doesn't seem to care if Ruby likes him or not. "Not as long as it could have been had we run into any trouble worth the while. And how long have you been here?" He's just trying at polite, the others are looking a bit, and speaking among themselves.

The one who just returned stays a few paces behind everyone else. Grinning a little mischievously at Ruby if she looked over when this person returned, then going back to watching the surroundings.

(Assuming there's still the people who worked at the tavern staying at the tavern, since most of the time these places double as homes.)

The young maid girl approaches behind Zander quietly and shyly. "S-sir.. D-do you need anything? A-a drink maybe?" Her father is the one who coaxes her out to ask. She would never on her own, as she seems almost afraid of Zander for some reason.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »
The words ‘worth our time’ makes Dorian laugh. “You know, I’ve always wondered why Lord Avendale thinks he needs so many guards. I’ve seen him fight.” It had been terrifying, the one time he was witness to it when someone broke into his father’s home. “Ah, but Ruby and I have only been here a day. We showed up, we got to work on preparing the town, and now we finally get to relax.”

Dorian made a motion,
“I’ve heard good things from the others about this place, so maybe it’ll be your style,” the building had a sign with a purple flower on it, text that read, ‘Ambrosia’s Brew’. Ruby frowned. It could be mere coincidence, but the Ambrosia flower was the symbol of one of the rebellion groups. They were rather disorganized and splintered, despite the same goal. 

She did arch an eyebrow at the small one, but didn’t address her. Perhaps in the tavern she could, assuming things didn’t turn for the worst.

~***~

Zander looked away from the window as he heard the quiet steps. He looked back over at the little maid, part of the family that owned the place if he remembered right.

He looked down at his own glass, barely drank.
“Perhaps something different,” he sighed as he set the drink down. “I seem not to be in the mood for anything alcoholic. What else is available?”

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 07:52:57 pm »
"So the Lord Avendale can fight? Hmm.." That seems to get him to thinking for a moment, and he glances back at the small one briefly, but he soon shakes it off. " So this Zander get's you right to work the moment you got here did he?" He laugh. " Well then, let's see what we can do to stir a little fun around here. Assuming this place is as good as you make it out to be." The other's seem a bit excited at the prospect of a little fun.

She mimics Ruby's expression, seeming to find this rather amusing.

~***~
The girl couldn't find the courage to look him in the face, so she looks at something behind or next to him. "W-well sir.. We could put a stew on the fire if you're hungry.. Or i-if it's a drink you would like I can look and s-see what else there is."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:43:46 pm by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 07:26:29 pm »
Dorian found it odd that the mercenary had no idea that the Lord could fight. Perhaps that meant it was a secret. He hoped so. He liked knowing things such as that.

He shrugs at the comment about Zander. It was how it always was. It was why they were going to win this civil war. Zander was no-nonsense. Dorian notes the glare that Ruby shoots to one of the other members, and wonders at it, but makes no comment.

Into the tavern they go, and it is already rowdy with music and gambling games going on around them. The majority appear not to be townsfolk, but soldiers.
“Should be fun,” he says to Kent, before walking right up to the bar and rapping his fist on the wood to draw the bartender’s attention.

Once he has it, he says,
“Sorry,” the bartender looks upset, “me and my friends here are—” and he cuts himself off as he sees someone starting to choke out of the corner of his eye.

Ruby moves immediately to the other soldier’s side and catches him as he stumbles backward, eyes quickly assessing the issue.
‘Poison.’ It is an art she dabbles in, the cause easy to recognize.

~***~

Zander notes this fear, and wonders at it. Perhaps his reputation away from the castle is cruel. Perhaps the rebels have marred it. Stew is offered, but he finds he has no stomach for food, either,
“Just a drink, please,” he makes a point to add the ‘please’, “There is no rush,” he added as well, not wanting her to feel like it an immediate necessity. He hadn’t gone to ask, after all.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »
Kent and his band seem ready for a good time here, though when they realize what's going on with the man Ruby caught their demeanor changes, things get serious. Most looking around to see if there is anyone suspicious here, trying to find the culprit. Except for the little one, who watches the poisoned man and Ruby with what appears to be amused curiosity.

"Is there anything we can do to help him?" Kent moves toward the two to lend a hand while the others search.

~***~

She nods "R-right away sir.." Though he said there was no need for a hurry, she is only gone a few moments. Coming back with a cup of milk, and a cup of tea, since he did not specify what he wanted. Her hands shake a little as she hands them to him.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 08:28:13 pm »
Ruby was the one to shake her head, “Too late now.” And another began to choke then. Ruby laid this man down on the floor and caught Dorian’s gaze. “Maybe not for others,” she had a sinking suspicion everyone here had been poisoned. The poison didn’t give immediate symptoms. It took about an hour before it began to manifest, and when it manifested…well, it was too late for an antidote.

Healing magic might suffice, but Ruby knew it not. She knew antidotes and poisons.

He reached across the counter for the bartender and took hold of his shirt’s collar.
“What did you do?!” He suspected him immediately.

~***~

The woman returns with milk and tea, a mix Zander finds both amusing and comforting. He sets his glass of wine aside and considers which he wants. He hadn’t had milk since he was a child, so he takes that first, takes a sip of it, and then frowns. No, he certainly wanted something warm.

He sets the milk away, thinking he might like it later, and takes the tea cup. One sip, and he’s content,
“Thank you,” he offers. He hadn’t given her any clues about what he wanted, but she returned with drinks that were acceptable. “What is your name?” He asks her.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 03:53:28 am »
The little one begins to giggle quietly, watching this unfold. Kent moving to try and calm Dorian down a little, so that this situation can be thought through and handled rationally. Kent spoke softly,"I don't think resorting to that will yield the best results for this situation.." He then looks to Ruby, since she seems to know at least a little about this, to see what needs to be done.

~***~

She watches him take a sip of the milk and set it down, but her expression changes slightly when he goes to sip the tea. Like she's about to say something, but is holding her tongue.

"I-it's my job s-sir... N-no need to thank me... And my name is Rin sir.." Her nerves seem even worse than before now. She still can't meet his gaze either.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 02:24:02 pm »
Ruby actually had no protests about what Dorian chose to do. Her thoughts were in line with his. Someone within the establishment was poisoning them all. It was for that reason she spoke to Kent, “Either assist in finding the responsible parties, or fetch a healer.” She’d tell him to find ingredients but she didn’t trust him capable enough to do that. To be fair, she wouldn't have trusted Dorian, either.

A dagger appears in her hand as she moves it through her hair, and she points it at one of the waitresses, who freezes.
“I want everyone who works here to line up. Now.” Dorian might be going about it the wrong way, but he had the idea. However, the evidence would be on the hands. Ruby knew the ingredients, and there was one that would leave its mark behind.

Dorian released the bartender then.

~***~

She stuttered too much.

“Rin.”
He took note of the name without offering his own. “Very well. You have served me well. You may be dismissed, I see it is uncomfortable for you,” he said calmly, not sure why she had come out in the first place, but he figured she wouldn’t leave until directed to do so. He didn’t want to keep the poor thing out here when she clearly wanted to leave. 

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 02:35:58 pm »
He thinks a moment then nods, and heads out to find a healer, though unsure of where to even start looking. The other's of his band are helping to get this line in order, except the small one. She's just standing there with curious amusement shining in her dark eyes, probably in the way, but not seeming too concerned about it.

The men are fumbling a bit with trying to help, however. Having never really done something along these lines before, though they are trying their best to be of help to Ruby in finding who caused the poisoning.

~***~

"I-it's not that it's uncomfortable, s-sir.. It's just.." She glances back towards the kitchen, where she came from, then looks back over at Zander, looking him in the face for the first time. her pale green eyes filled with worry about something. "If you n-need anything else sir, just call." At that she'll turn and leave for the room where Lord Avendale is staying, to see if he needs anything.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 12:56:09 am »
Kent, surprisingly to Ruby, actually did as told. She didn’t expect it of a mercenary, nor of his band of mercenaries who helped to line up the others. Given, it was clunky work, but it was done. The small one goes ignored, but not unnoticed. Ruby finds herself wanting to chuck a dagger into her heart for her clear inability to help, but understands she is not a soldier.

For all Ruby knows, she has orders from Lord Avendale that reflect her present behavior.

Dorian oversees and helps the mercenaries organize, until everyone is a line, and the soldiers who have drunk are all quietly panicking.

“Hands out,” Ruby orders the staff.

Some follow immediately, but others are more hesitant. Dorian looks anxious as Ruby moves by each member. She isn’t really examining their hands, though. The poison would affect anyone who inhaled it. It came from a seed, and the seed has to be broken open to get at the poison. Inhaling was never fatal, but it often left behind its marks around the nose.

Most could pass the minor redness off as allergy or sickness.

When she came to the last in line, she stepped back and away. Calmly, she said,
“Separate the woman with the black hair in the green dress, and the man with the blond hair in the apron.”

The relief on their faces faded immediately.

~***~

Rin trailed off, gave him no reason for what appeared like discomfort, but according to her was not. He did not call after her, assumed she was being polite by claiming she wasn’t uncomfortable.

At the door outside of Lord Avendale’s room were two guards. One held up a hand to pause Rin before she entered,
“What is it you need?” For they were under orders to not have Lord Avendale disturbed by just anyone, and this woman certainly did not look like a noble nor a soldier that Lord Avendale should humor.

From within, muffled conversation could be heard, but not understood through the door and walls.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 03:35:39 am »
The small one watched as Ruby did this, seeming to find it curious. Like she's studying Ruby. Once she speaks, however, the small one moves to go and slip away. Uninterested in whatever's to come next.

Kent's band also does their best to help out, seems that at least a couple of these 4 men remaining in Ruby and Dorian's presence were part of something more organized than just the average mercenary band, though they've lost most of the discipline involved with following orders. They try though. Two of Kent's band will separate the two Ruby specified.

Kent himself is out searching for a healer, as Ruby requested. Asking around quickly to find this person, and likely just dragging this person back to where everyone is once they're found.

~***~

The boy of the man who owns this place enters the room soon after she leaves, appearing to go and check on the fire.

"I would just like to ask if he would like anything to eat or drink.. I assume the traveling left him a little thirsty at least." She looks at them, all the confidence in the world. No stutter like with Zander. She wonders at the other person inside, though, of course, says nothing on the subject.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:57:44 pm by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 09:31:17 pm »
There is no struggle. A struggle would be stupid. There is a plea from the man that Dorian grabbed earlier, though, “Please, I’m sure they didn’t do anything, this must be a misunderstanding!”

His words go ignored as Dorian pushes by him to go stand nearer to those singled out. Ruby says calmly,
“I would ask that you do not play dumb with me,” the expression on their faces does not change, confused worry remaining. She takes a glance to the door, but notices Kent has not returned. Time was certainly ticking for those who had drank anything here. “Confess and tell me where the antidote is.” Only a fool made poison without also making an antidote.

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about,”
the woman pleads.

Dorian grabs the man and pulls his sword from its sheath at his side.
“We don’t need you to tell us,” he informed them. If Ruby knew how to identify the culprits, she would know how to make the antidote. He saw no protest in Ruby’s look, so he put the blade to the man’s neck, “Talk or die.”

There is the beginning of stuttered words, and then a cough that spills blood down the man’s front. Dorian releases him in surprise, and the man stumbles forward. There is a smile on his lips,
“We knew that when we began,” he tells them, before he collapses to his knees, starting to choke on the blood in his throat then.

Ruby’s eyes widen, and she turns quickly away from the two.
“Keep the woman alive!” She had to rush back to the main encampment and get her supplies.

Just as she gets to the door, though, Kent arrives. She hastily steps out of his way and gives an order,
“Have the healer heal the woman first,” with an idle motion back to the woman who had been singled out, Ruby leaves.

~***~

Zander gives the boy a single glance, and then ignores him, seeing that he is tending to his duties at the fire.

The guards outside the door exchange a look, and then one knocks.
“What is it?” comes the voice of Haradion from within.

“There’s a serving wench here. She wants to know if you require any food or drink?”

Rather than receive an answer from within, the elf’s feet take him to the door and he opens it. His body falls against the doorway as he leans against it,
“What is available in this establishment?” Haradion inquires of her. 

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:46 pm »
Kent does as told, the healer hurrying to get to work on the woman as instructed. Kent and his band take to staying out of the way at this point, seeing as there seems to be not much else they can do, though they will continue to be as much a help as possible if they can.

~***~

The small one hadn't gone far, and notices Ruby leaving. Taking to following her to see what she might be up to at this time. Curious. Not trying to hide the fact she's following either.

~***~

After the boy is finished with the fire, he takes to a bit of cleaning. He's a good young man of maybe 14. He's working away, though gradually getting closer to where Zander is in as non-suspicious a manner as someone untrained can manage.

She seems a little insulted at being called a wench, and stands herself as tall and proud as she can muster. "That all depends on what you would like, sir. I can have a stew on the fire and ready soon, or bring you a drink of your choosing, assuming it is within reason." She is trying to be more confident around him than with Zander, though she still seems pretty nervous. The stutter has vanished though.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 04:59:35 am »
Dorian oversees the healer, and once the woman is healed before the poison can take her, he asks, “Anyone got a rope?” His hands have taken both of hers and pinned them behind her back, but he wants to secure her lest she have more up her sleeve.

~***~

Ruby walks into the camp, but as soon as she sets foot across the invisible but known barrier between civilians and soldiers, she makes a motion backward.

She is all too aware she is being followed, and doesn’t appreciate it. A soldier near that border catches the signal and moves to intercept the little one,
“Ma’am, civilians aren’t allowed here,” he says.

He would do more if she continued to pursue Ruby, though it might be difficult by now. Ruby had stepped into a shadow, and even if the man looked back to try and locate the blonde, he wouldn’t be able to. He never knew how to follow her once she started shadow-walking. She would make her way to the medic tent, where some of her supplies were being kept. Every medicine was a poison, after all.

~***~

Zander notices the oddity, but merely assumes the boy is as nervous as the girl. He is young, after all.

Lord Avendale smirks,
“I assume serpentwyne isn’t within reason?” He never knows what to expect in these sorts of places. Those that he does go to had learned to carry what he liked when he visited. He makes a motion to suggest it doesn’t matter, “What meat is in the stew?” He redirects.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 05:14:02 am »
One of Kent's men is still carrying a small pack, he quickly rummages through and hands Dorian a length of rope, though it doesn't seem entirely sturdy, it should do well enough to keep the girl's hands bound.

~***~
She just gives him a small smile, not so much a friendly one, more of a 'try and stop me' type smile as she moves to walk past him. Having lost Ruby however, has changed her focus less from following the blonde, and more to just exploring this place a bit, curiosity taking over just a little.

~***~
He moves around and behind Zander, depending on how he's sitting, continuing with the cleaning, though, as soon as he's in arms reach he makes a sudden move towards Zander with a small knife he could have easily hidden in his sleeve or boot. The boy is not trained in combat or anything of the sort though, so this is a rather poor attempt.

She lists the meats that would be common in this area, she could make the stew with any of those. This is just a common tavern's stew though, most likely not up to his tastes. "I can also go to the other tavern in town, sir, to see if they have this serpentwyne that you've requested." She's being pleasant with the man, though she doesn't like any of them. And they all make her very nervous.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:46:14 am by myazoma »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 09:40:51 pm »
“Thanks,” Dorian says as he accepts the length of rope and uses it to tie the arms of the woman behind her back, and then tie her ankles together so she can’t run. He sits her down as the healer moves about the room tending to all those who drank anything. “Would someone watch the door and see that no one else comes in but Ruby, or Zander?” He was the man in charge. It was probable word of this would eventually reach him and he might come to see.

With that, he shifts his gaze to the woman sitting before him. He asks calmly,
“Who else is involved? What is the plan?”

However, she remains defiantly silent.

~***~

The man is not impressed with the woman’s act of defiance. Considering this was not a zone for civilians of any sort, he draws the blade at his side and marches forward. He plans to grab her arm and pull her back. The sword is to show he is quite serious about his demand.

If she attempts to run, however, all bets will be off. He will give chase and ensure the other soldiers milling about the area are alerted to the trespasser in their midsts.

Ruby finds a cloth bag and begins to gather supplies, though she is now taking more than necessary for the antidote. She did see the healer enter on her way out. Now she is taking items to create other potions and poisons—information was going to be needed, and she had many methods to get it.

~***~

Metal glints in light. This truth has saved the lives of many before, and Zander is no exception. He sees it catch the sun and he steps out of range. There is a grace that most wouldn’t associate with a leader—one expects them to be brutish, after all, but his movements are almost like a dance as he turns.

It is not metal that comes into his own hands, but the air around him grows cold and the moisture freezes above his palm until an icicle forms there, and is shot forward at the boy as Zander bends his wrist down. It is aimed to kill, aimed at the head.

Zander was never known for being merciful, as cold as the ice he became an expert in crafting.

Lord Avendale listens to what is available, and when she is finished, he smiles at the idea of her going to see if any serpentwyne exists.
“That would be grand, actually. I believe the other diplomat enjoys it, so a bottle of serpentwyne ought to make conversations easier.”

He considers the meats, but as he does he feels the chill move through the building. His back straightens. His tone loses some of its warmth as he says,
“Hold that thought,” and he walks by her and his guards towards the stairs to see what is occurring below. The guards are quick to follow after him.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 10:18:06 pm »
The one who handed it to him nods, and then goes back to stand with the others. They will help if they're needed, otherwise they take to trying to stay out of the way. Kent takes to watching the door, though he is intrigued by the way the woman holds her silence, even in this situation. He wonders why she bothers anymore.

Kent also scans the room as well, more looking for other entrances than anything else, but he ends up motioning one of his men over and mumbling in his ear. After a moment, he speaks, the words directed at Dorian.

"You have nothing against someone leaving though, correct?" He seems a little worried about something.

~***~

Just as he is about to reach out and grab her, she smirks at him and runs. She is honestly quite quick, even for her size and build, she's fast. And working to lose this man as quickly as possible. He may even catch her laughing a bit, as if this is a game to her, as she takes off.

~***~

The boy is thrown off when Zander moves, not trained at all in any form of combat, he has no chance of dodging this either. The look of surprised fear is the last expression he'll make before he get's hit and falls to the floor.

She is a bit daunted at going out in this rain just to get a drink for the two men, though she did offer, so now she must.

She shivers a tad at the chill, and follows after Lord Avendale and the guards, wondering what might be the issue.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 04:42:40 am »
The question strikes Dorian as odd, “I do,” he thought that would be obvious. Anyone who left would be suspect. They might go get reinforcements. Dorian looks up from the bound woman to Kent. “Why?” He does not hide his suspicion.

Mercenaries.

~***~

The moment she runs, the man pursues. However, he also gives a shout,
“GET HER!”

The other soldiers milling about take notice then. Spells alight around mages, and the archers begin to string their bows. If she does not stop, spells will begin to fly at her, as will the arrows. Zander has not trained his crew to be merciful in times of war, either, and none know she is with Lord Avendale.

Ruby, items collected, begins her journey back towards the tavern.

~***~

Zander observes as the body falls to the ground, right as the Lord appears on the stairs. He descends rapidly and glances over the boy.
“What was this for?” The man inquires.

Zander responds,
“He tried to kill me.”

“Ah.”

Most other diplomats would be horrified. Haradion has never been like them, and seems unperturbed. Where other nobles would be yelling that an inn switch was necessary, he shrugs it off and comments,
“Good thing you were here,” as if he was even concerned. “This should be cleaned up before the other arrives, though.” He looks back to the girl then, “Is he kin of yours?” There is no trace of accusation, mere curiosity. Haradion has usually found these places to be run by families.

Well, if a genocide of a family line was necessary, he knew Zander could manage. It’d just be a shame. He wouldn’t get his serpentwyne.

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 04:58:40 am »
He sighs. "Never mind. It's nothing to worry about." Though he seems a little worried, the one he was speaking to goes back to his group and Kent continues watching the door for Ruby or Zander.

He seems lost in thought and worry now as well. The curiosity about the woman gone.

~***~

After she's taken maybe ten steps, she slips, apparently she hadn't taken into account that rain tends to make the dirt roads of these towns a bit slippery. She lands flat on her back and slides a little. Making no effort to get up. Just laughing like a child in the midst of a rather amusing game.

~***~

The girl slows near the bottom of the stairs, if she can see what has happened from where she is, she doesn't show it at all. And if she can see Zander, that is who she has her eyes on.

"No sir. He is the son of the man who runs this place, I am not the daughter of the owner, I just found work here." She seems calmer than she was before, though that may be attributed a little to the shock of what happened, though that would make an odd reaction.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 08:02:35 pm »
“All right….” Dorian does not question it any further, though he watches those in the tavern a bit more closely until he sees Ruby out the window. When she drew near enough to see the tavern, she stepped out of the shadows.

She approached the door, and would walk in if she were not hindered by any of the others.

~***~

The man who had initially given chase reaches the fallen woman quickly, and he reaches down to pick her up by her hair and lift her from the dirt.
“Wretched…,” he spits the word, clearly intending to say more but trailing off into incomprehensible muttering.

He intends to push her towards one of the makeshift prison cells and find out just why she was following and what she wants, if he is able to pick her up from the ground.

The mages and archers still their attacks, but remain prepared in case the fall was a planned action, a trick. She is laughing, after all.

~***~

Lord Avendale notes that the woman keeps her attention focused on Zander, rather than anyone else in the room. Zander also takes note of this and maintains eye contact, finding it funny that she does not stutter now. The question comes easily to his lips,
“Did you know this was going to happen?”

Unlike Haradion, he does sound accusative. 

myazoma

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 08:12:50 pm »
She is not hindered by any of Kent's men, or Kent himself, though he does stay by the door after she enters, watching. Seeming worried about something.

~***~

She does, in fact, attempt to pull him down as well when he reaches for her hair. Her size makes this a little difficult, though she does shift in a way that should throw him off balance.

She still laughs like this is a game.

~***~

She looks away then, shifting where she stands like she doesn't know what to do now. Like she's been caught.

She stutters a bit when she first tries to speak, then stops trying and just nods. Looking back over at Zander now, wondering what he'll do.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:20:15 am by myazoma »