NaNoWriMo? Read 4582 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
NaNoWriMo?
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:18:16 pm »
Hello everyone!

I was curious if anyone was plotting to do NaNo this year? I am considering it and thought I'd build conversation on it. I'm considering doing it a bit...unorthodoxly, since I want to work on the story I'm posting here. I may "start" NaNo by rewriting it from the start, or continuing from wherever I leave off. Haven't decided.

For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, which is in November. There is a 30-day challenge to write 50,000 words during that month, and it's helped me before get a lot of writing done on novel projects. There's no prize, just...doing it.

Runic Blade

• View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:03:56 pm »
It might be possible to talk me into doing something like that, although I hate to admit it...!

What do you think is most likely to cause someone to fail at the contest?

I am guessing (for myself):
1) not planning out the plot beforehand
2) getting bored with the story
3) spending too much time researching on wikipedia

1667 words a day.  Maybe if I stop all RPs and I become super interested in the story.

Are you talking about your A Labor of Love story?  I did read it earlier today.  I liked the future + magic concept.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »
Indeed I am, based off the first character I ever RP'ed, and finally turned into something non-RP. It needs a heck of a lot of work, but I have to remember to just keep writing.

In the past, my issue was always wanting to go back and edit what I wrote, so then I wouldn't get as much written, so I think that is a major issue for some.

Not having an outline or an idea of where the plot is going is another issue that some have (so this thread could be used for help with that, for questions and directions, etc.).

Getting that amount of words each day is never doable. On some days, you'll only get 500. On other days, you may get 3000+ plus.

I suppose one could get bored with the story, but that's never been my issue, nor has researching been my issue. If I get engaged with something, usually the researching lends itself to lots and lots of writing.

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:18:06 pm »
I started to do this one year, about four or five years ago, and it was going great. I kept to a word count a day schedule, until I got a late acceptance to a course. That was about the end of that. If anyone is going to give it a go this year they should keep us updated!

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:21:27 pm »
I'm pretty much right there with Runic. I've been interested in this sort of thing for a long time, but I've never managed to talk myself into it.

My biggest issue that I get 'scenes' in my head that I really want to write and it's all I really want to write; I get impatient and rush the stuff to it. It's the main reason I create a fragmented story thread, so I can write the scenes that get stuck in my head without obsessing over them for too long.

I wonder if an outline would help me keep pace though. How detailed do people generally make their story outlines?

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:10 pm »
I only have myself to speak for (I never look at other people's outlines when what I do, works):

1. I make an information document to keep track of stuff, history, terminology, characters and their roles, things like that.
2. I make an outline. This is how my outline of last time looked:

Chapter Thirty One:
-Start with Cameo and Willow holding a conversation that hints at Sir Bors.
-Draco brightens and the group heads to Damar, with some protest.
-Upon reaching Damar, they find out that Magnus has been brought to a house to be taken care of already. Samael’s appearance is mentioned; the body of Falak is gone.
Chapter Thirty Two:
-Magnus’ dream with Falak.
-He awakes after music is able to break through, relaxing Falak.
Chapter Thirty Three:
-Magnus wakes up three days later to find Maura was the one singing. She elaborates on what happened.
-Cameo and Desiree come in to see him; more bonding between the group as Willow and Max join later. Mention of Wydella’s destruction.
-The woman, Queen of Damar (to be named later), also shows up and then says there must be a celebration for him. The preparations are made.

So I organized things by chapter, and it wasn't exactly detailed but it helped me to keep a certain pace. These things happen in this order, and these things are the things that need to happen for some reason or another. This went on for many pages and multiple documents (that's Outline2 in my documents for my masterpiece). I then slashed out things as I finished them.

I'd say make an outline that helps you keep a certain pace, so you aren't rushing into anything. If you have a certain scene in mind, go ahead and write it! Then when you get to it, you can edit it to fit what has actually occurred in the story.

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:32:45 pm »
I'd say make an outline that helps you keep a certain pace, so you aren't rushing into anything. If you have a certain scene in mind, go ahead and write it! Then when you get to it, you can edit it to fit what has actually occurred in the story.

Hm, you make a good point. An outline does seem like it would go a long way toward helping. One scene doesn't make a novel though - I'll need to think of a plot that will keep my interest even after I get my minor obsessions out of my system. I guess I'll have to think about it more.

Also, is there any rule that says I can't do No Shave Novemeber and NaNoWriMo at the same time? Because I would love to look like a scruffy hobo while I'm at Starbucks scribbling on napkins.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »
I think doing both at the same time is encouraged, actually. I use it as an excuse. No Shave November, Writing, and it's too darn cold so no one is going to see my legs anyway xD

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:30 pm »
I managed to complete my NaNoWriMo project last year (angel's sang when I hit 50007 words at 11:59pm) and this year I'm doing something a bit... different. Last year I wrote the story for my elf mage. It was long and complicated with lots of characters and at one point I nearly threw my computer because I was so frustrated...

THIS year I'm doing something much more relaxed and silly. I'm doing a cheesy steampunk romance ^^ Because hey, why not. Another friend of mine is doing a straight romance, extra cheesy with a side of cliche and a sprinkle of WTF to garnish.

If we're doing NaNo as a group we can always do like several friends did last year. Set up a way to write 'together' and so when one person gets all distracted and starts chattering or something the rest can poke them and be like "Yo... focus." My mother in law used her NuVera (like Second life but less of a drain on the computer, less of the over-sexed that happens and free.) so that we can sit as a group and do word sprints. Winner of the most words written in an hour got an in-game thing. Skype works as well, gives you a soundboard to bounce story ideas off of other people.

Needless to say, I've been planning how I'm going to do this all month. Thankfully i'll be less busy by then and I'll be moved and work will have calmed down some so I can focus on it. I'm aiming for 60000 words this year!

Runic Blade

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 06:09:41 pm »
Cool Loreth, nice to know somebody was able to finish their book

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:39:44 pm »
Obviously I only do skype, but I think for now this forum might be useful for sounding off ideas and/or focus tips. Unless everyone who participates wants to share skypes, then we could totally do that, too.

I was able to finish one as well, or rather, I was able to get to 50,000 words >.> the books definitely are finished, but I reached their goal in that time period which was awesome. A lot of good writing got done.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »
Double post because relevant:

I am definitely committing to this for the year, so my steps now are to start making an outline and finish everything in my information document so that I have it all "on hand" as it were.

Is anyone else going to commit for this year?

Links:

My NaNo
NaNo Home Page
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:58:08 pm by Krystal Itzume »

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 06:41:22 pm »
Im definitely doing this!! I've been contemplating my storyline and plot, characters and title... I hate deciding on a title.

Anyways, here's the link to my nano page. I'm on my phone so pretty formatting is kinda impossible

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/loreth

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 04:44:02 pm »
Get hyped! This Saturday!

Click It!

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 05:45:04 am »
AAAAAAHHHHHHHOMGITSTHISSATURDAYANDIMNOTREADYAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 01:29:59 pm »
You can do it! He believes in you! I believe in you!

Also I'm doing all my outlining today and tomorrow because I've been dealing with so much moving stuff I haven't had the time X.x but I'm trapped in a motel today and tomorrow, so may as well make use of it. Heh...

Edit:

Information on "Reverse NaNo", which may be how I do it: Click
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:47:33 pm by Krystal Itzume »

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 02:11:13 am »
Omg that's brilliant!!!

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 05:35:33 pm »
We are ten days into NaNo and I'm changing my idea...because I can't stop writing about Octavius anyway. So, I'm just going to write historical fanfiction xD because why not?

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 10:47:55 pm »
It's that time of the year again, people! So, who is going to join me in failure or success this year? ^-^

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 03:12:34 pm »
Krys, have you started your NaNo?

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 04:51:49 pm »
Yes, I have. 1,255 words for the first day. Not quite as many as I need, but I plan to do a lot better today, since I started at 10pm yesterday.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »
That's still amazing -- I always feel so unworthy when it comes to writing on the same site as you, Krys, LOL, i love it.  What do you have to average, though, to meet the 50k at the end of the month?

:jill: :jill: :jill:

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 06:21:16 pm »
Oh Jilly, never feel that way! Your quality is always good when you write, and that trumps quantity.

You have to average 1,667 words a day to reach the 50k. I'm usually rather sporadic; I know the year I won, I had a couple days I only wrote like, 200 words, and others I wrote like, 5,000 words.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 02:07:28 am »
oh you~

and ooooohhh, hmm, yeah, i like the way you did it better, lmao.  i was actually thinking of (loosely) doing NaNoWriMo after you revived this thread, although I was kind of taken back at how much it had changed from when I first heard about it.  I feel really old.  How's your word count going today?  You can do it Krys~  You can totally do it~

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 02:31:24 am »
I'm still working on today's endeavor, but I've got about 500 more words as of right now.

You should totally join me, Jill! When did you hear about it, though? I haven't seen much of a change from 2008....

Edit: Now up to 1000 words today.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:57:00 am by Krystal Itzume »

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 03:54:57 am »
Goooo Krssyy!! You'll hit that 1.6 easy peasy missy~

And 2008 sounds about right, but i mean like -- just the layout, and stuff of the site, and the badges thing and the cabins?  Plus the fact that they sell Merch... and the Night of Writing Dangerously in San Fran, I like that idea tho, I wish we could have a writing party /sobs

i might try and do it... i feel like every time i set myself a task or goal though i literally go in the opposite direction, lmao.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 03:58:07 am »
There might be some local things around you, Jill! There's local NaNo stuff around me, so there's gotta be some stuff even in Australia.

They have gotten more well known, and are able to offer a lot more stuff to "winners" now, so I think that's the reason for the merch and fundraising and changes. They just have more to offer and they do so much more.

And I definitely reached that. I'm now at...3984 words total. Heh.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 04:41:15 am »
LOL omg Krys.  I am not surprised in the slightest, you're gonna smash this year~  What are you writing, anyways?

they should sell pins of their badges, that would be amazing, i love pins lmao.

okay. okay, i joined, but mainly to lurk -- my local NaNo chapter has all their writing dates on days i'm doing stuff.  /sobs ahhh well, i don't like meeting new people anyways.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 04:44:53 am »
Maybe something'll happen one of those days and you can go see'em! Or you can just chat on the forums with the peeps and maybe they'll arrange something on a day you could join.

ALSO WHAT IS YOUR NAME I WILL MAKE YOU MY BUDDY.

And I've finally sat down to write the story of Itzume, since I've gotten most of the things figured out in my head to actually write it to a conclusion. Heh, to think Itzume started out as a thief named Trinity Itzume...now she's Kelosia Marise Itzume.

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 04:55:52 am »
I like Kelosia, that's a pretty name~  Kel?  Sia?  kELSSYY.

lmao, i should introduce myself, i suppose... i got a nasty surprise when I joined the FB group because one of the girls in my state's Lolita group (and also all of the fb planner communities i'm in) is in it too LOL.  Small world.

my name on there is witchfawn! buddy me upppppppppppp bb.  :jill: