News: 
Paragraphite

Spread the Sunshine- Random good news Read 10238 times

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Spread the Sunshine- Random good news
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 06:17:09 pm »
Well done Lyte! Law school! I have a law school student character in my book, so I'll pick your brains some. Congrats! Go for them guuud grades. In sweden ther is just passing or not passing on most things at uni level.

I'm glad to hear your daughter might get a cochlear implant! Technology, huh? Hope everything goes well and it doesn't give you too many bold spots or white hairs! Do keep us posted!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 06:36:30 pm »
Congratulations, Lite! We're so proud of you! YOU ARE AMAZING!

Pere, I hope everything goes great!

:cake4: :cake2: :cake3: Cakes for Lightening!

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 10:04:16 pm »
awww, thanks guys!

pere, you're a wonderful parent. i hope everything goes well for your family.

and ara, i saw what you did. >/

Q

• Drinking tea. ('cos that's what we do in England)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 12:49:52 am »
Spreading the Sunshine:

I started a new placement straight after Christmas in a place that's only a half hour walk from where I live and is pretty easy going. Nice and relaxed.
So I've been walking to 'work' and back when I'm on shift and last week was totally crazy in a good way.
I caught the 'new year, new you' bug and have made sure to exercise every day since Monday (which I have never made an effort to do before) and I have taken to eating as healthy as I can manage (not an easy task for a student nurse. I've been keeping a food and placement diary, have taken up a dance class, and have cut my soda intake down as well as eating way more fruit and cutting down on junk food.
I'm feeling pretty positive about it all. Just gotta keep motivated.

:)

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 01:11:55 am »
Absolutely fantastic Q! Im glad for the good groove you have at work and stoked for the new healthier regime! Very inspiring! Kepp it up!

The March Hare

• Would you like some tea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 12:49:06 am »
Officially done with fire claims training. Basically, not only can you yell at me over your vehicle, you can yell at me over your house as well.

Fortunately, I don't mind. I found that some people are not at all opposed to the Darth Vader theme being hummed into their ear.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 10:34:37 pm »
Wahoo! Wahoo! We got our preauthorization letter for my daughters surgery!

It covers the surgery (which costs more than my house! eek!), but also 5 follow up programming sessions for her implants as well as the implants themselves!!

I just had to share that a least one worry has been lifted and now I can breath a little easier financially. Still have worry over the actual surgery itself, but at least these ducks have themselves in a row.

:seaturtle: :seaturtle: :seaturtle: :seaturtle:

(There is a great lack of ducks in the e-mots, luckily there are the cute little turtles that work just as well ^_^)

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 02:21:21 am »
WOO! I celebrate with you, Pere! I am so glad to hear that bit of good news regarding the surgeries. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they go well.

:krys:

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 05:45:40 am »
I leave happy animal emote to get in on the theme.

:b: :kikicat:

I also learned that my bonus today is substantial - considering the price of oil it's a pleasant surprise.
:money:
And hopefully by this time tomorrow I will only be doing one job!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 05:56:55 pm »
So I know I've been woefully neglectful this past month and a half-ish of... well, every thread I'm in and know I'm up to post in most of them, so for that I am sorry and promise to work on posts this weekend but...

My Daughter had a successful implant surgery this past Thursday! So all of my time was eaten up with pre-op stuff and house rearranging so we could get her in a bigger bed to be with her at nights post surgery. I was so nervous for her surgery(ended up being just under 6 hours) and so stressed that my brain wouldn't function to put proper thoughts together or be creative.

She is doing AMAZING and is almost back to her usual self besides extra fatigue and some pain we are managing fairly well. Now we just have to wait just over 2 weeks for her incisions to heal, then her implants will be turned on and we'll have a bionic girl running around our house relearning how to hear and speak!

It's going to be a major adjustment, and tough for awhile, but the part that was making me sick to my stomach has passed and I think my brain fog has cleared a bit. Thanks all for the support along the way- it's been a journey I never expected and we're still traveling it for sure, but I certainly feel like we've come to a turning point. ^_^

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 06:37:00 pm »
This is too exciting! mostly for the her getting through the surgery well, and for what's going to come, but also because tech has come this far!

Im so happy for you, Pear, and your daughter! I might have follow ups on as to how everything works from a technical stand point.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 10:17:41 pm »
Congrats.  I'd love to hear what happens once you "go live".

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 09:49:03 pm »
Pere, that's wonderful to hear! I'm so happy the surgery went well and I hope she heals quickly. Let us know how it goes!

Pach_Work

• prone to imagination spasms
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2015, 05:02:38 am »
All I can think is YAY! So happy for y'all Pere! Keep us posted!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2015, 09:11:48 am »
Ugh, guys, I'm such a slacker on the writing front lately. It's been almost another month and still I haven't made/had the time to write- it doesn't help that my laptop met with a sudden and horrible smashing death, so I have nothing to write with during all the travel we're doing every week for appointments and I'm hanging on by my fingernails when we're at home with the trusty Desktop PC. *sigh*

But, as to not be a downer in a thread I've always meant to be an upper, I present the ACTIVATION VIDEO

She had just caught a cold two days before this, and had fallen asleep in the waiting room, so initially she was pissed when we tried to connect her and wake her up. The video starts after she settled down and decided to try and fall back asleep on the little table. I cut out a fair amount, about 5 minutes, of turn on-check for a response-turn off-turn it up louder, etc until her reaction. It's still pretty amazing. We've had a couple of "mapping" sessions, as they are called, since, and have another one in about a week, but they are pretty sure she's pretty close to the levels they want her at for awhile.

She keeps her implant processors on almost all the time, and even tries to sleep with them on, so we have to be sneaky and take them off carefully after she's asleep. It is such a relief to know she is getting exposure to sound and not only that, but WANTING it, as we'd heard/read some horror stories about kids hating it all and hiding these highly expensive and easily lost/magneted to almost anything- machines. So far, we've been good on that front and only misplaced one or the other of them three times in the last few weeks.

Anyway, I really am going to put forth an effort to write, I have all these ideas still swirling in my head and I hope I haven't lost everyone in the threads I'm in, if I have, I sincerely apologize and  I may just have to write the blurbs floating around anyway, so they'll stop nagging me.

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2015, 11:48:46 am »
that vid was amazing! Poor little thing with a cold, though!

I'm glad this seems to be working. Wow. She is an adorable little girl. Haha, this truly made my day brighter. Thank you for sharing this, Pear, and don't feel rushed to post!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 11:58:59 am »
Pere, this is amazing! I'm so happy for you guys! And she has the cutest cough in the whole world!

I'm really glad to hear that she likes it and wants to use it.

Congrats!

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 05:54:31 am »
Oh my goodness she is such a beautiful little girl! I am so happy to hear this is working out for her! I agree with Verse, made my day!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 11:14:15 pm »
Okay, I know I keep saying I'm back and then dropping off the face of the net for weeks on end, but I seriously am back around and able to check this lovely slice of the interwebs regularly again. We have a laptop on loan from my folks for when we travel, and I have a new and shiny PC for at home use so yay!

Also, the little is doing great! After a month and a half of weekly visits to the Doc that lives 3 hours away, we are seeing some really great progress and responses. They turned up the sensitivity to softer sounds, so now she is turning when we call her name or make sounds, she is aware of loud trucks and sounds when we are outside and has started 4 day a week school- speech therapy, immersion therapy, recognition therapy, etc.

So despite some rough travel and some rocky times these last months, things are finally settling into a new and fantastic normal. Thanks all for you understanding and all around awesomeness!

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2015, 02:30:52 am »
Pere, thanks for always sharing all your progress. I'm always happy to see how you work through your struggles.

So I'm finally gonna post here for once, instead of the other thread xD

My dad adopted a Great Pyrenees today.

We both know that in reality, this is my dog. I’m not claiming it as my dog because in my delusional ideal world, my dog would be a large, indoor dog who would sleep with me, not a large, outdoor dog, which is what this one is. We’re training it in Latin, because this is how I roll.

What I’m really posting here about is to say that I’ve finally accepted that it is okay to stop doing something that makes you unhappy, and to find what it is that makes you happy. You won’t see anymore posts from me in the “Need a Hug” thread regarding school, because this is my last semester as a Religious Studies grad. There’s a long story to that, and about two years of agonizing over the decision.

But I feel happy in a way that I haven’t felt for a while, because I feel free to get out into the real world, start making money, and start having a life that I don’t bring back home with me—in other words, I can actually start considering having a pet like a dog, to consider having a place to live because I won’t be worried about moving, and to consider…well, living.

I even started an exercise regime that I’ve kept up for 4 weeks this coming Tuesday, which is a record for me (I know, that’s sad, whatever).

TL;DR: I quit grad school, got a dog, and I’m finally living. 

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2015, 11:27:59 am »
Congratulations, Krys! What did you name the dog? Oh, I do so love big dogs. So is it outside all the time?

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2015, 02:05:47 pm »
Lovely krys! I support all those things, and am looking forward to all the reports on their progresses!

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2015, 04:48:30 pm »
Ara: The name of the dog is Alice, also called "Allie". She is outdoors all the time, this may change in the summer and really cold winters, but yes. And she survived her first night!

I shall continue my updates to you, Verse!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:49:50 pm by Krystal Itzume »

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2015, 09:36:54 pm »
So excited for your doggie adventures Krys! Allie is a really sweet name! Great Pyranese get quite gigantic don't they? I had a college friend that called his Ghost.

I'm currently in the process of interviewing for a new job. It's a marketing manager for a chain of preschools and daycares back home near my family. I'm glad to finally have some prospects from a job in my field of study. I am hoping to move again soon. Charlotte is beautiful and it's been a lot of fun here, but it's also exhausting traveling when you're as close-knit with your family as I am. The process has been long, wish me luck everyone!

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2015, 10:09:48 pm »
Best of luck, Paches! The Pyrenees is huge already, haha. I'm glad you've found something in your area, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works out for you!

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2015, 04:47:53 am »
A dog?  I left school, got a job and got a cat....you're doing this all wrong Krys....just saying.

Congrats on becoming a working stiff. 

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2015, 05:23:50 am »
:P Already got the cat, Beau, so I'm good.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2015, 06:29:07 am »
You go lady! I think it's awesome that you are finding your bliss.

I know it's cliche but I do honestly believe that some of the best things in life can come from taking that leap into your fear. I can't for the life of me remember where I read/watched/heard it, but there was a story about someone who was scared to step off the ledge saying, "I can't jump, I'll fall," and the person counseling them said something along the lines of, "Then I hope you sprout wings." Or something like that, so much better in my muddy memory... but~!

I seriously believe you are a rockstar and this is just the first step on a grand adventure into greatness!

And Pach! That's awesome, I'm close with my family too, so I hope all goes well for you and you can end the long journeying to see them and get the positions!

Also, I approve of all the new dogness, my family has finally convinced me that our need is great for a creature around here. We're thinking more German Shepard, or something around that size, possibly smaller, and some chickens. And since at this juncture in my life, we can't really feasibly have more kids, I'm hoping a fur child can help fill the growing ache for a new little to be added to our family.

My girls are trying to convince me of a cat and some chickens along with a dog, but we'll have to take it one step at a time.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 10:52:43 pm »
SOOOOoooooo, Who wants to play a game of good news/bad news? Anybody?...... ANYbody?

Okay, I'll go.

Good news, because of the little ones surgeries and follow up appointments, we've reached BOTH deductibles on the two insurance coverages we get from the Hubs two different jobs, and I'll only have to pay my individual deductible.

Bad News- Looks like I've possibly got a knee replacement in my future. >.< The MRI revealed, and I quote my practitioner, "a really messed up situation".

The Conversation went like this after that:
Nurse: So, he'd like to refer you to an orthopedic surgeon, there is so-and-so or other-so-and-so, who would you like?
Me: Well, I've never heard of either of them, so is there one you'd recommend over the other, or works well with your office?
Nurse: I'll go ahead and send a referral over to other-so-and-so, they should call you in the next day, if not here is there number. Call them.
Me:Okay(sounds like nurse is getting ready to hang up) So should I be going and doing the PT the Doctor ordered or..
Nurse: No! I wouldn't do anything until Dr. other-so-and-so says to
Me:Okay... so should what's the situation exactly- should I be being careful, limiting my activity, or are there certain things I can do to help?
Nurse:Basically, the cartilage is slowly tearing, so every time you move or put weight on it, you're tearing it just a little bit more. So yes, I'd definitely be as careful as possible.
Me: Should I be taking meds for the pain like I was told before?
Nurse: If it was me, and you can handle pain, for the sake of your knee, I wouldn't. Alright, well, we're going to send that referral over. Again, if they don't call you- you call them.

I had more questions, but she seemed like she was in a hurry to hang up and promptly did so after I said, something to the affect of "Alright, I'll be sure to call if I don't hear from them."

Sooooo- Basically I'm walking around with a ticking time bomb for a body part, YAY!

*face palm*

((It's just possible this should have been posted in the "I need a Hug" thread.))

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2015, 10:58:53 am »
Ah! This should definitely have been in "I need a hug"! Tearing cartilage!? Ah! So are you pretty much laying stiffly in bed afraid to move?