News: 
Paragraphite

Spread the Sunshine- Random good news Read 10072 times

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
Spread the Sunshine- Random good news
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:22:20 pm »
So I decided I'd start a thread of random good news. I've had plenty of the not so good kind in the last 9 months, but I want to focus on the good things and try and let the bad stuff go. Sooo... without further ado, a few random good tidbits!

1. My oldest daughter discovered her FIRST WIGGLY TOOTH last night! It makes me wonder where the time has gone, but I'm excited to get to play tooth fairy, :money: which should be easy because she sleeps like a rock. ^_^

2. My husband- who is not as geeky as me- has agreed to let me make him Wesley/Dread Pirate Roberts :mask: for Halloween, so I can be Buttercup and people will know I'm not some chick in a red dress. (This one is super silly, but Halloween is seriously my All time FAVORITE holiday, even if there is only candy and not presents.... hum, there should be presents.)

3. We may have found a contractor to fix our bathroom mess!  :myrtel:

and last

4. It has been super rainy and cool here this past week and when I went out into my yard yesterday now that it has cleared up, a bunch of leaves on my trees and bushes had started to turn colors over night. I LOVE AUTUMN! Probably why I also love Halloween- I love the colors and the crisp and the crunch of leaves under my feet. 
:yellowcat: :rainbowsheep:

So there you go. Please share your good news too so we can all enjoy a little bit of sunshine. ^_^

P.S. Any chance we can get some pumpkins or other Autumn/Halloween themed smileys Oh Benevolent Powers that Be?

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: Spread the Sunshine- Random good news
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:19:43 pm »
Focusing on the good would be a positive venture, yes. Thank you, Pere!

And congrats on getting your husband to agree to dress up! Halloween is great.

1. Four of my friends are getting married (and by this I do mean 2 and 2). I received a call from one at 1am and heard the engagement story from his overly-excited lips, which was so great. The other I just found out about today ^-^

2. My dad has successfully sold the house (double-edged sword, that. Oh the stress of moving again!) for the price he wanted.

3. My cat is still alive and well, and all but chugging water--which is what I want her to be doing. So, good things ^-^

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:01:29 pm »
I love the idea of a good news thread and am so happy to hear about yours!

I am happy to report that I am one of Krystal's friends that got engaged this week, as is Verse- and to each other no less!

I'm visiting family this month but when I get back I will see into this autumn/pumpkin emoticon business. Until then, please accept these orange bell peppers.

:pepperorange2: :pepperhalf: :pepperorange2:

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:24:41 pm »
To you Ara I will say Congratulations.

To Verse I will say 'about time'

Both still happy messages coated wtih diversity.  :)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:31:20 am by Beau »

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 11:26:30 pm »
I am happy to report that I am one of Krystal's friends that got engaged this week, as is Verse- and to each other no less!

Wow, that's awesome to hear. Congratulations, you two!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:55:15 am »
Ahh, these are such wonderful tidings!

Krystal, does this mean you are moving? or just helping with the move? Hopefully it is smooth either way.

Ara (and Verse) Congratulations! We only had 2 weeks to put the wedding together to the aforementioned Dread Pirate, so we could have a honeymoon before he deployed. We didn't get everything we both dreamed/thought/talked about, but we got each other, and 9 1/4 years later, we're still happy =]

So the only advice I give folks planning a wedding is- don't let all the garnishes distract you from the meat and potatoes, cause that's what you're ordering the meal for anyway. Or something like that. ^_^

And thank you, orange peppers are lovely too! ^_^

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:02:26 am »
I am indeed moving, and I am happy about it. This place needed to go. I'm just not happy about the timing and added stress since I just moved back to Kansas, too. I thank you for the well wishes ^-^ it is good, just the usual stresses involved.

Runic Blade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 10:16:52 pm »
Peregrine, maybe you should send the bathroom contractor to my home next. My bathroom has pink tile, paint peeling off the ceiling, and the ugliest sink known to man...  I feel like I should fix it "any day now" but I am too busy with other more important things.

back to the good news:
I feel that my writing has improved from my posts on this site, also my drawing ability has improved (I no longer need to use a grid or crosshairs to copy something).  And my mom just emailed me to tell me that my sister is pregnant.  (The same sister whose wedding I wrote about in the Writing challenges thread)  So it seems I will have another nephew or a niece.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 10:09:06 pm »
Here is good news for those who may remember.

Surge, the delightful soda of my childhood, has returned. I can only get it on Amazon, but I get everything on Amazon. I'm waiting for it to be back in stock now, but the point is--IT IS BACK!

Pach_Work

• prone to imagination spasms
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 04:24:22 am »
Surge, the delightful soda of my childhood, has returned. I can only get it on Amazon, but I get everything on Amazon. I'm waiting for it to be back in stock now, but the point is--IT IS BACK!

I saw this and immediately looked it up! SUCH good news!!! EEeeeeeeee! As well as all this other good news! So glad that it was thought to create this thread!

Sooo I may just be using this as a public service announcement for why I am so slow in my replies lately (but let's be real, I'm just slow in general). BUT I AM FINALLY EMPLOYED! With a real job that is! Downside is that I will be moving 8 hours away but, hey, I can deal. Charlotte, NC I'm comin' for you!!!

:yellowcat: HAPPY DANCE

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 12:59:28 am »
All the congratulations, Pach! North Carolina is actually my destination in two years, if I can get accepted at the University of Chapel Hill. You'll have to tell me all about NC in general for preparation!

I ordered the Surge, too. I await its delivery.

Good news: Adjunct teaching looks to be in my future for the spring. It isn't the best pay, but it will look great on my Curiculum Vitae. I have a supportive teacher who is willing to do a summer class with me for the credits I need, too, so that I don't overwhelm myself in the spring.

Best part though was hearing during the phone interview, "I just wanted to make sure you could hold a conversation. You have the job if you want it."

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 04:03:10 pm »
Well, it's always good to know someone brainy like Krystal can string a sentence together -- who would have thought....

I'll delude myself that my absence this last week has been noticed.  I seriously hit a wall.  Exhaustion and anemia apparently.  I've actually lost 15 pounds since May.

This is the least I've weighed in 5 years.  Another 3 pounds and I'd likely need new clothes....hum...

To the end of stress eating and the beginning of stress shrinking!

(and yes, hopefully can sit in front of a computer for recreation starting Friday.  that too is celebration.  just need another day or so to get my head back together) -- unless of course that's what weighed 15 pounds, in which case it will be lost permanently...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:05:19 pm by Beau »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »
Congratulations, Beau! Now take good care of yourself, please, your absence was noticed. But congratulations on all your work!

And yeah >.> most people are under the impression that we brainy people are socially inept, apparently. Who knew?

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »
Well, I'm sorry for the cause of the weight loss, but... yay for weight loss?

And no delusion necessary, you were missed. =]

Good news on the home front here, our contractor comes this week!

I was also shared a bounteous amount of garden grown produce and Cookie Bread has arrived in my house because of it. Ooooh... and it's almost pie season! I'm so excited for Pecan Pie as often as my sugar addled body can handle it!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 11:35:04 am »
Cookie Bread? What is Cookie Bread and how do I get some?

I love pecan pie! But pecans are crazy expensive where I live.

Beau, the weight loss sounds like a good thing? I don't know, when you couple it with anemia I start to worry.

Good news- I made it home from a month of visiting family and am now snuggly in my chair with my computer again.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »
It's...
OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!

WAHOOO!!! Bring on the crisp air, the scattered showers, the crunchy leaves, the spooky-ness, decorations and costumes!!!

Also Ara- Cookie Bread is Zucchini bread with nuts and chocolate chips in it. We grew a lot of our own food as a kid and I grew up with my mom calling it Cookie Bread so we'd eat it and not freak out it was really vegetable bread, even though the vegetable to other ingredient ratio is really not that big. Anywho.  I can share the recipe if you'd like, it is delicious, you wouldn't even know there was a vegetable in it!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 07:45:34 am »
:pumpkinheart: :pumpkinwink: :pumpkinsmile: :pumpkinheart: :pumpkinwink: :pumpkinsmile:

Happy Autumn! I love this season, though I doubt it's going to last long here before the snow starts.

I would love your bread recipe, Pere! It sounds like a great holiday recipe!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 11:08:04 pm »
Ara, as soon as I find the recipe I'll post it... it grew two Two Year Old legs and walked off the counter (Meaning I had a helper while I made it last and now I can't find it)

Also... Krystal, since you are a fan of Surge, and I just unpacked a box with all of my old CD's in it and I happen to own the "official" SURGE soundtrack/CD thing.... I give you the play list.

http://grooveshark.com/playlist/SURGE/101343976

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 11:09:42 pm »
Pere, that has made my day. I am going to rock out to this when I finally get home, haha.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 09:11:58 pm »
Learning to Knit is fun to do!

(Arm Knit for the most part and I know this, along with other random tidbits I've loosed about the place, makes me sound like and old cat lady, but I'm not.)

10 1/2 scarfs done, which means much of my Christmas give list is checked off. ^_^
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:14:32 pm by Peregrine »

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 10:06:15 pm »
I'm a shabby knitter, mostly because I don't pay enough attention and perhaps influenced by having too many other hobbies. When did you start learning? And congrats on the success!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 10:56:36 pm »
I watched a YouTube video a week ago, did my first arm knitting on Sunday and got hooked. =] I did my first needle (chopstick) scarf on Tuesday. Everything's turned out pretty well so far. I caved and went and bought actual needles to use from now on.

Also!!!

COOKIE BREAD (Zucchini Bread)
*3 Eggs
*1 Cup Oil
*3 tsp Vanilla
*2 1/2 Cup Sugar
*3 Cup Flour
*1 tsp Salt
*1 tsp Baking Soda
*1/2 tsp Baking Powder
*1 tsp Cinnamon
*2 Cups pealed and grated Zucchini
*1 Cup Chopped Walnuts (optional)
*1 Cup Chocolate Chips (or more to taste optional)

Mix Eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar. Combine dry ingredients (sift for a smoother texture), slowly add to wet ingredients. Stir in Zucchini, Nuts and Chocolate last until combined. Divide into 2 loaf pans. Bake at 325 F for 60-70 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 09:01:32 am »
Spam of good news!
Baby blanket for my nephew is like 1/3 completed!! Omg this thing is taking me forever to crochet but it looks cool.
We found someone to buy our washer and dryer.
We found someone else to take the coffee table!
All moved out except for some last minute cleaning.

Phew!! It's been a busy month <3 I feel almost wretched for being so quiet here but I've been nearly swamped by everything this month. I'm just glad I survived.

MyDiorama

• Architect
  • tea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 09:33:28 am »
   1. I LOVE knitting, and my shirt that I finished in september  became way too big, so we washed it and it shrunk so much! BUT it still fits me, and the plus side is that it's so soft. It's almost felted and the alpacka yarn is soooo soft.  I normally can't wear knitted shirts without a long sleeved t-shirt under it. But with this one I can. I LOVE IT!
Will provide picture later! :)

2. Arranged a conference for work and now it's over and the day went just as planned and nothing messed up. I'm so happy!

Verse

• blue in nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 07:35:15 pm »
I like both knitted shirts and well planned days that stay planned all the way through!

My good news is that I finally finished the first draft of Bone Balustrade, which I hope will carve out my own niche in the vampire literary fiction world! I'm 50 out of 140 pages through my first read-through edit! Please cross your fingers form my continued dedication, especially now that my computer died.

Also, I ordered a denim jacket, black but washed to gray. It looks delicious and I plan to wear it indoors as a shirt with a t-shirt underneath. I always plan to live inside certain garments when I buy them, let's see if I can do it this time instead of buying new things all the time. Nothing looks better than well worn, but nothing's more fun than newly bought. With grace, it might arrive before I go away for a two day course and I can wear it there.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 08:04:42 pm »
So I've commiserated to a few people lately that when my daughter shows me her "pictures" I have no idea what they are/mean, and how I look forward to the day when she can sign or speak and we can understand each other. Well, today I was at my desk reading an article about stuttering and she came and crawled on my lap and picked up the pen and notepad I leave lying around for her to draw/scribble with. I wasn't paying attention much as she flipped through to a new page, but when I finished the article I looked down and there, all over the note page were PEOPLE! Not just random scribbles, but heads, with necks and little bodies and eyes and mouths! I even broke a promise and woke my husband up up to show him!(He works nights and sleeps days and has been super helpful getting the house ready for company) She was all smiles and grins pointing at her picture and for once, I knew EXACTLY what she was showing me!

Ara

• Fantastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 12:39:12 pm »
Congratulations, Pere! That sounds really exciting!

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 07:43:40 am »
sadly, para will continue to see only glimpses of me because I PASSED MY FIRST SEMESTER OF FREAKING LAW SCHOOL.

now to be delusional and aim for a 4.0 next semester. haha bye life.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 08:03:03 am »
That's awesome Light! Congratulations!!

Oh the days of keeping up grades. I had to do it to keep a scholarship, but I was also just in a university BS level education so not really comparable. Keep your chin up! You can DO IT!

And I'm not sure if this is more of a "Sunshine" news or "Hug" news but after finishing an unsuccessful 6 month trial with hearing aids, and seeing 4 doctors in 2 days, my daughters file is headed to the cochlear implant review board and she could get her surgery as early as April. It feels exciting but also- freak out and hide in the closet and try not to pull my hair out with worry-feeling.

I'm still hoping we're making the right decision, cause when I think about all of it I feel panicked and weepy. So maybe this is really partly cloudy? Dunno.

Pach_Work

• prone to imagination spasms
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 05:06:47 pm »
Aw Pere that sounds like good news to me! And above when you updated before. I'm not really sure how I would feel about it either, but *Hug* anyways because I feel for your family and have read any time you post an update! I may have said this a million times but I have three very good friends currently in grad school for communicative disorders, so I feel somewhat related to your news, lol

I'm really jealous of what they are learning, it seems so interesting. When they are studying and I'm around I'll flip through the books and stuff they'll have out and it's fascinating to me to see everything they have to know about the ear and the brain, etc.

Keep us updated, of course. And continue to be strong for your daughter. She is lucky to have you for a mom! ^^