News: 
Paragraphite

First Read 4345 times

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
First
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:15:12 am »
He woke face down in the dirt.  His head screamed as he rolled onto his side and pulled his knees towards his chest.  Everything hurt, even the dimming sunlight as he opened his eyes to get his bearings.  Wet, muddy and disoriented, he sat up.  The motion caused him to moan.

Maybe hearing his own voice was a good thing.  He shook his head, but that was a mistake. Instead of clearing his mind it served only to remind him that his brain wasn’t working properly.  His hands went to his neck and felt for something that should have been there – another piece of the puzzle that seemed to be missing.

“Where am I?” 

The sky was overcast and the color pink with the last remains of the day.  The puddles on the ground seemed to indicate it had rained earlier.  There was a certain smell in the air of damp earth and home fires.  This was a road, and he could see a town up ahead, but for now he was alone on the dirt track except for the horse.   The animal didn’t shy away, but rather looked at him with baleful brown eyes as it stood in the knee high grass.  The contents of the saddle pack were strewn about, leaving the man to conclude that he’d not fallen from the horse, but rather been mugged.

He gave a whistle and held out his hand.  The horse didn’t approach.  The man blinked and wondered, What is the horse's name?  The empty response left him to consider,  What’s mine?

The reality that neither question had an answer should have sent him into a panic, but it didn’t.  More cautious than confused, he started to pick up the possessions.  A shirt.  A metal flask and a couple apples.   A knife.  He folded the shirt put the collected items into the leather satchel.   A few golden coins remained in the pack – apparently the aim hadn’t been all about money.

But, something is missing…  Again his hands went to his throat.  His clothing wasn’t ripped, but he sensed that he’d been wearing something else.  Carried something else.   He made a slow circuit around the horse.  He found some rope (not long, but enough to be serviceable), a cup and crushed hat.  He picked them up and tried to punch the straw back into place but it was no good.  He left the remains of the hat on the ground, tossing it aside with a hint of disgust rather than sentiment.  He hadn’t liked the hat and thought aloud, “So much for that disguise.  They knew you were coming.”

He blinked over the thought.  Concentrated.  “Garret.”  A nod and a sigh of relief.  Yes, that was familiar – although whether it was first or last name he couldn’t be sure.  Two syllables was the only hint on the mystery around him.

Garret brushed his muddy hands on his slacks.  He was wearing black, all black, shirt, pants and boots.  His skin was fair, or so he thought beneath the mud.  He found a towel which he suspected would serve to wipe the worst of the dirt from his face and hands.  He studied his fingers and noted the tan line that hinted at a ring.  He rubbed the exposed area, finding that loss the most disturbing.

“What do you think…horse?” he said looking at the animal.  Horse didn’t reply or object when Garret stowed the last of his meager belonging back into the saddle bags.  Garret put his foot in the stirrup and tried to mount, only to feel dizzy over the lift.  He stumbled backwards and wound up sitting in another puddle before he could regain his balance.

He didn’t curse.  Instead, he sat in the puddle for a moment or two and looked up at the sky.  He closed his eyes and found solace in a brief prayer.  A rumble of thunder could have been a response, or the distinct reminder that if he waited much longer he’d be wetter. 

Garret decided there was no shame in walking.  With a hefty sigh, he got to his feet and gathered the reins.  The wind picked up as he walked on towards town, leading the horse.  He wasn’t sure where he was going, but he knew he needed to get there….soon.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:17:42 am by Beau »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: First
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:22:38 am »
The so-dubbed God of the Afterlife stepped into dim area of this veil between the living and the dead to see glowing eyes glaring in his direction. “You’re late, Hades.”

The white-skinned deity with the dark features couldn’t help but smirk at the assessment from the one leaning against a boulder. The mortal before him was amusing. If she wasn’t, he would have killed her long ago for her attitude that hadn’t improved with the years. Every year, actually, it seemed to worsen. Every year, she grew more and more desperate.

The reasons why were obvious to both of them. Her eyes hadn’t glowed last year. Last year, they had been green. This year, they were almost yellow. The pupils were slits, no longer round. The hair that had been red at birth was showing strands of white. The blood that coursed in her veins was darkening. The blue veins that were visible at people’s wrists showed black.

It was becoming impossible for her, now nineteen, to hide what she was as the years continued to change her. Demon blood ran in her veins, as it ran in her father’s. Which, of course, was why she was here, the only reason she was anywhere.
“You look terrible.”

The comment caused her to cross her arms over her chest.
“They aren’t working anymore.” Her eyes averted from him. “Alcina’s potions and her magic have lost their ability to hide it.”

“Those potions are drugs,”
the God informed her. “You need more and more for it to work like old.”

“I know,” she spoke through gritted teeth, “Look, I did what you asked,” she took a golden seed, rather large, out of a pocket and tossed it to him. He caught it, relief immediately flooding him. It was one of Persephone’s treasures, and something other gods didn’t want in the hands of mortals, “Tell me where Dievus is.”

It was never ‘father’ with her, nor any paternal terms. It was always ‘Dievus’. She tried to deny all connections to him, even when they were staring her in the face. He could point out the hypocrisies, but it would get him no where.
“I’m still looking for him.”

She stepped away from the rock that had been holding her up, and one of her hands went to the blade at her hip. Cursed. Magical. It was the same to the God. He had warned her against that, too, but of course she didn’t heed him. Her father found power in magical armaments and magical power, so of course she went down that path, too, thinking she had to match him to beat him.
“How can you not find him?!”

“Hey, hey,” he lifted his hands, “My realm’s the dead, and he ain’t dead,” she had come to him, years ago, to discover that fact. He was still surprised she’d found the way here. Despite what people said, the Afterlife wasn’t home to demons—not living ones, anyway. “I got my dogs on it. We’ll find him, he’s no friend of mine, but until then,” the god motioned, and blue flames and gray smoke erupted some feet away from his hand.

There opened a portal.
“There’s some mortal up there who’s been making a mockery of Thanatos and I, claiming he can cheat death. Why don’t you go put an end to him for me, eh?”

She never argued. She only ever asked,
“What’s in it for me?”

He let his hand fall to his side, answered,
“I’ll cover the signs of your blood, and, eh, I’ll see about talking to that monk for you. Or chasing him away from the temple.” An eyebrow arched, “We’re friends, aren’t we?”

Her look said it all, but she didn’t verbalize the disagreement.
“Contract, Hades.”

He lifted his hand once more, and the paper manifested in it. He took the pen from his own robes and offered it to her, watched her use the point to cut her arm. Blood was the only way to sign. She skimmed the document, before signing her name on the line.

‘Krystal Amara Itzume.’

It should have been Krystal Ananke, but she never took to her father’s name. The surname was her mother’s, a woman now a part of his realm.
“And done!” The parchment rolled up on its own, and faded in the smoke.

She offered the pen back, but he grasped her arm rather than retrieve it. He felt her muscles tense, but he only gripped her arm tighter, over the wound. His influence spread through the black blood, lightening it, masking it, and washing over her with each beat of her heart.
“You got a week like this,” he told her. “And another week when Marik Alsad is dead.” An image of the wanted individual passed through her mind's eye, and she nodded her agreement.

The glow left her eyes. The white hair darkened to red.

It was not perfect. It never could be, this late in the game. Yellow flecks remained in the green, and there were strands of red that were blond. The blood was still darker than it ought to be.
“And you know it will be shorter if you call on the powers of your blood.”

“I know.”

He released her, his mark sealing the wound and sealing the magic in her veins like a tattoo. He took the pen into his own hands.
“I’ll let you know if we find Dievus. I’d check with that uncle of yours, though.”

She rolled her eyes, started towards the portal.
“Dievus doesn’t even know he’s alive.”

“Don’t be so sure,”
he called to her as her foot crossed through the portal, “Remember, he might even know you’re alive.” ‘And you just don’t know.’

Not that she needed reminding of the fate that would meet her if it turned out she was not prepared. Dievus was an interesting experiment, one Hades was quite certain the demons themselves regretted when he began to wield his power to, quite literally, control their actions. Human will was an interesting thing, unexpectedly strong. More often than not, it was humans who found their way to the afterlife in search of something. The musician had been particularly stubborn.

But then, all the demon experiments had been interesting, starting with the elves who had held up a bit better than the humans. At least, their minds didn't break down in the same fashion. Hades was almost positive that Dievus was broken to want the absolute cessation of life.

As Hades mused over the benefits of mixing blood, Krystal Itzume crossed back into the living realm and was met with a loud boom of thunder, and then a downpour of rain that was moving quickly over the town.
“Great,” she grumbled and pulled her black duster tighter around her as she started walking.

As per usual, she had no idea where Hades had sent her, and had to hope it was near this Marik.
‘Tavern it is.’ Usually the best place for information. She hurried in and shook the mud off her boots before stepping in out of the rain.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:10:53 am by Krystal Itzume »

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:01:35 am »
Rain poured down in angry sheets until all the world was sodden blurry shapes. In the midst if the torrential downpour was a single rider in a crimson cloak. The horse a gray color matching the icy mist that trailed behind. Ethereal and ghostly, the figured paused at the entrance to town and watched as a few last stragglers escaped the sudden rain storm. A few paused in their doorways to watch the specter enter through the gates trailing a winters mix with not a drop of water dampening that crimson cloak.

Arriving at the tavern it's the stable boy that sees it's not a ghost but a woman beneath the cloak. What may have just been a flash of lightning, the stable boy swore afterwards that her eyes flashed a bright green before dismounting in a swirl of crimson material and snowflakes. A silver coin appeared in her hand which she held out to the boy. "Another silver if you clean the tack while a third or fourth can be given should none of my things go missing." Her voice was as soft as the hand giving him the coin, a layer of ice coating her pale skin. "I'll want my horse ready by morning though."

He nodded and looked at the very normal appearing horse, wondering if it too was a creature of magic. Back to the woman, his eyes widened even further as she let her hood fall back to reveal the bright red hair trimmed short and framing very Elvis features. Her long pointed ears were pierced along the point with emeralds and pearls, gold chain draped between the piercings. Her eyes were not the green from before but instead a turquoise blue.

Taking the horse inside the stable, the boy turned around and watched her walk into the tavern. After a few steps separated them h left her spell and was quickly soaked to the skin again beneath the rain.

Opening the door to the tavern, Savania paused on the threshold to brush red hair from her face and release her ice shield. In the proper lighting her skin was pale as cream with full lips the color of fresh berries. Her hair was flame, cut shorter in back and a little longer in front to frame her thin features and blend with the red material of her clothing. Unlike the rest of her race, she preferred high necked dresses with belled sleeves and slit skirts for riding. Her leggings were soft leather and shah out heels. Her steps echoed some on the wood floor as she made her way to the bar. It was assumed she had the rooms attention and the smirk if her lips proved she liked the attention. Seating herself at the bar and rapping lightly on the counter. "If you have any, whiskey please. A room as well if there is one." Leaning on the counter, she smirked some and propped her chin in her hand. The air around her was still cold but she had enjoyed the touch of cold since her youth. "This storm is delightful, don't you think? I haven't enjoyed a rainstorm like this in some time."

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:19:18 am »
The day had seen a steady stream of regulars and passersby, but the evening was always busy, she knew this one would be busier. There was a storm brewing, she could feel it.

Her hands and feet kept up with the steady rhythm of it though. Drinks were poured, food was served, keys were given, coins taken, idiots tossed out, counters and tables wiped down, cooks complimented, servers scolded, jokes laughed at, woes listened to, patrons coming and going. The flood of life in a tavern never ceased. It was a good thing she didn't often need sleep.

She glanced up from pouring a drink, just before the first bolt of lightning struck. Her violet eyes sparkled, but didn't look away. She was a daughter of Odin, a woman of Valhala, the flash didn't even make her blink. She turned away as the grumble of thunder was preceded by what sounded like a child tossing a fistful of rocks on the roof, before an all out avalanche.

The sky split and poured down as she glanced at the large hearth at one end of the room and the flames lept to greater life, despite no fuel being added. She gave the room a quick look over, the temperature rising comfortably throughout. Any coming in from the storm would find the place cozy with warmth, but not stifling, and she went back to work. Pour. Serve. Listen.

She always glanced up at the new comers, quickly assessing threat to the rhythm. Most didn't warrant worry, but a disgruntled looking woman got a good cursory look over as she wiped her feet, there was something about her that raised a wariness in the tendress.

She didn't have long to mull over why as a moment later, another new face came through the door, catching the attention of most of the patrons. Alana sighed and pushed the back of her hand across her forehead, pushing back a lock of honey blond hair from her eyes. An elf.

She hadn't seen one in several weeks, but always the sight of them tugged at her ever present heart ache. She had been great friends with an elf once, the golden beauty had been her children's godmother, before a demon piece of filth had killed not only her, but her son.

Her son would had been a man in his thirties.Her remaining daughter was in her mid twenties, and if they stood side by side, they'd look more like siblings than mother-child. Alana wouldn't look it, not to mortal eyes, but she was old.

As the red head glided over, Alana wiped her hands on a rag hung at her waist next to the daggers sheathed on either hip. She rolled her shoulders back, smothering her melancholia and stepped up at the voiced request. This was not Lakarah and elves could be more problems than their coins were worth. She pulled out a glass and a bottle seemed to appear in her hand. "Welcome to the Four Winds. There's always a bit of drink and a bed for those that can pay." As she started to pour, knowing elves rarely were without coin, she shrugged at the comment about the rain.

The rain reminded her of more than one life that was perhaps better off forgotten, "It rains like this quite frequently here," she didn't want to forget. She set the drink in front of the woman, the bottle appearing on a shelf behind her, "How large of a room, and how long of a stay are you wanting?"

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 05:51:25 am »
Of course you had to think it would rain...

Garret admonished himself as he trudged on under the downpour.  His day could not possibly get worse but now he was cold and wet on top of tired, hungry and ignorant.  He wasn’t quite sure what he’d done to deserve the current circumstance but he was pretty sure some sort of karma was afoot.

The town he managed to slog his way into wasn’t much to speak of.  Wooden huts, and some stone buildings.  One main street.  Up ahead he thought he saw a few figures in the rain, heading into a structure with smoke billowing from the chimney.  As he approached a stable boy moved off with a horse and Garret’s own animal seemed to sense the welcome of some sort of roof.

Garret glanced at Horse.  Surely the animal had another name, but his mind remained blank.  With a jerk of his head he indicated they would follow the stable hand and the horse seemed pleased with the answer, picking up the pace and splashing more mud on Garret’s shoes.

He entered the musty smelling stables and caught the attention of the stable boy.  There wasn’t much to explain, and soon a few of the precious coins he had left were gone.  With few options, Garret considered bunking in the clean stable with the horse. 

The stable boy dispelled him of that notion.  “Sir, you can’t stay here.”

“Why not?” Garret asked.

The boy blinked.  “Because you…” he pointed up and down Garret as though the answer was obvious.

“I what?” Garret prompted.  It was clear the boy knew something he didn’t.  Unfortunately the answer didn’t enlighten him.

“It wouldn’t be proper.”

Garret shrugged under that.  He didn’t think he looked like some sort of stuffy gentleman or royalty who was above the idea of sleeping with the animals.  He looked over his shoulder.  The stable was dry.  Outside wasn’t.  His hazel-eyed gaze turned back to the boy.  “What would be proper?”

The other seemed to find that amusing.  “Well, you could go to the tavern and inn.  See Alana.  She could get you fixed up.”

Somehow the mention of a woman had Garret pushing his fingers through his hair in an attempt to gain order.  Doing so, however, reminded him of the ‘something missing’ as his touch brushed his neck.  Lost in his own anxiety, Garret didn't see the curious gaze of the boy and how he seemed to relax upon getting a better look at the stranger in the lamp light, a shake of the others head as though to dispel a thought.

“The tavern is on the road.  Third door on the right.” The stable boy said.

Garret rescued the last few coins from his bag and nodded over the instructions.  He didn’t have enough funds for a room, but he suspected the boy didn’t sleep here either.  Garret made mental plans to return later, and for now went back out into the rain to find his way towards the ‘proper’ shelter.

He opened the door with a touch of hesitation.  Light and noise greeted him.  He wasn’t the only one here obviously, even though the weather should have kept all but the most determined souls at home.  His stomach growled over the aroma of food as he inched his way inside.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:55:40 am by Beau »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:15:43 am »
There was a woman with purple eyes who seemed to run the bar. Krystal Itzume did move to sit at the counter, rather than a table, though her eyes gave it a once-over. Those who noticed her didn’t let their gaze linger. Even without all the features that defined her, there was an air of unfriendliness around her that caused most to keep their distance.

Taking her seat, another followed shortly after her and distracted the woman. She was an elf among humans—as such, she quickly stole attention from Krystal, which was just fine. She listened to the murmurs while the bartender paid the elf all the attention required for her requests of drink and board.

The cold seeped over to where she sat, though. She and the elf weren’t far from one another, and Krystal found something perturbing about the elf’s presence, a calling from deep within that she usually only felt when around her uncle, Dievus’s brother.
‘Half.’ Whatever kept Ero happy. 

Mentally, she shook it off. She saw no reason for it. She pulled the duster closer and then recalled the way to get anything usually rested in gold.

She had that in plenty. Hades was not her only employer, and plenty of people needed others dead. She took payment in many forms, from gifts like Hades could provide, to the magical items of others, to the very mundane coins. Most had that to spare.

There were inside pockets to the coat rather than outside ones, and she found her cloth bag of coins soon enough. She did not remove it, but took out silver coins and hoped she was in an area that accepted this currency. She still wasn’t sure where, exactly, she was, but they were all speaking in a language she understood so it couldn’t be too far from her usual locations.

Krystal set the two silver coins before her, letting her index and middle fingers remain atop them as she looked to the bartender,
“When you have the time,” she addressed the woman, “There are a couple things I’d like as well.” She wasn’t interested in a room, but had a feeling she’d be paying the amount for one, or more, for any decent information on Marik.

The two fingers left the coins to rest on the counter, and she let her gaze move back over the crowd as a newcomer thought to darken the doorway, a casual comfort coming over her. She was in no rush, after all. A week should be long enough to find and hunt down one annoyance. Besides, she didn't want to travel in this rain--the newcomer looked soaked. She could wait till it died down.

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:03:14 pm »
It was interesting how bottles appeared in the woman's hand then returned to their rightful place with never a blink from those vibrant eyes. Savania watched curiously as her drink was poured, a few gold pieces beneath her hand on the counter that she revealed as she took a sip of the strong drink. A quiet sigh misted out, frosty though the fire raged behind her. "That's good. I may stay an extra day just to enjoy a few more glasses." Her smirk turned to a smile as pale fingers brushed hair back from her face. "I don't need anything lavish. A single bed will do for the night." Smirking wider now as she sets the chilled glass down again. "Unless perhaps company is offered. It's been ages since I had someone other then my horse to talk with. He's very dull and not very imaginative." Another sip of the whiskey and Savania glanced again at the door and the others at the bar. "Though perhaps you'll be busy tonight so I should rescind my offer as I don't want to be a hindrance."

Honestly, the woman was interesting and surrounded by humans again always meant for amusing conversations. The race was so quick, impatient really, rushing ahead with minimal planning and Savania adored their vibrant lives. Even now, some sodden well-dressed fellow was coming in who had obviously not planned for the weather. Soaked to the skin and lost looking, it was all Savania could do not to chuckle though she did try to rein in the icy aura that surrounded her. They got sick so easy and her frosty nature certainly wasn't going to help which reminded her...

Turning toward the bartender, her head tilted a little bit, Savania nodded toward the newest patron. "If you'd like, I can dry him off and keep him from catching sick and from soaking your floor." Half standing, she wanted to make sure the woman didn't mind a little magic being thrown around casually before she started casting. "And no worries about any re-payment or anything. I'd hate to be the reason he catches ill." Her finger taps the glass she had been cradling as explanation.

If given permission, Savania stands from her seat and makes her way toward the shivering noble man. "Excuse me, I was wondering if perhaps you'd like be a little drier?" A chuckle and she holds up a hand, palm toward him with fingers spread while the air around her warms quickly. "I can dry you quickly enough with no harm to yourself unless you are one of those silly humans afraid of magic?" At that she had to chuckle again while remembering the last superstitious farmer that shooed her away.

~Humans are so amusing. Really they are. If only they knew how much easier their lives would be with a little more patience.~ Savania's thoughts strayed for a moment while waiting for a response from him though on acceptance she gives a nod and starts whispering quietly.

Painted lips moving quickly and aquamarine eyes half closed as she focused, the air around Garrett became warmer and swirled from feet to head in a lazy Summer breeze sort of way. The sodden clothes dry quickly and retain the same mid-summer warmth you get from laying in the sun while even the floor around him dries until the only remaining dampness rests directly beneath his feet where her spell couldn't reach. "There, all better? Good good. You really should try the whiskey here, it's even better."

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:10 am »
Alana's brow arched at the request for a companion for a room, one hand taking the coins while her other hand paused as she was summoning a key. She licked pursed lips and laid a key on the counter. "There are those here that offer their company, but it isn't something the tavern or inn offer directly. You are welcome to seek them out." She shrugged again at the suggestion that they were busy.

"Most of the company you see here are regulars, your request for a room will not make things more or less crowded." Alana saw the most resent rain soaked man step in and her brows raised. His attire made her wonder what had brought him here, but her attention was called back by the elf offering to help him.

Looked like she was already seeking out her bed mate. Alana was going to tell her it wasn't necessary, her own magics in the room would have him dry and comfortable within a few minutes of stepping in the tavern, but the surly woman from earlier grabbed her attention with a comment about also wanting service. "I'll be with you in a moment." By the time she turned back, the Elf was already headed for the man.

Alana mutter a curse under her breath and stepped back toward the other red head. She forced herself to be nice, overly so, despite the prickling at her neck. "I apologize, for the wait. What can I get you? We offer the largest variety of drink within a hundred leagues. If it is food, our cook has venison pie, a roasted chicken with vegetables, or a lamb stew with fresh bread for the evening. There are rooms available still."

Her fingers tingled as she waited, the magic pooling in the tips. She felt a flash of heat standing this close to the woman and her eyes narrowed ever so slightly. There was something familiar about the feel of her. Alana had spent a great many years in the company of demons and something about her felt similar to memories she had. She knew there were those that fought their nature, but more that reveled in it, and some that were possessed and had little or no choice in the matter.

She kept her cool though, she wouldn't disrupt the rhythm of the evening unless she had to. She would wait and see the nature of this woman before her.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 03:49:17 am »
It appeared he’d paused too long by the door.  A woman approached Garret as he stood in the entrance, but she didn’t offer to show him to a table.  He sensed she didn’t work here, and her manner was friendly.  Who wouldn’t want to be drier?

He hesitated.  His mouth opened a time or two considering how best to respond to the kind offer.  She reassured him, and he went on faith that somehow his luck was about to change.  As the warm air coursed over his skin, Garret indeed did think that there was good in the world.  He went ahead and put himself in the category of humans who didn’t fear magic since his shoulders didn’t tense and he didn’t cry out in agony.

Where did that thought come from?

Only a small twitch of an eye muscle betrayed his discomfort as the hidden memory swirled in his mind and went dark once again.

“Thank you,” Garret croaked as the magic ebbed away.  His skin glowed and he indeed felt warmer.  He glanced down at his hands in an instinctive gesture that seemed to validate he was fine, counting ten fingers.  His eyes were drawn again to the tan line that indicated the missing ring and he felt the loss afresh.

Sad eyes looked back at the elf before him as she mentioned whisky.  “I don’t drink,” dragged from him in an unconscious rejection of the offer.  His hand went to his pocket, and fingers blindly recounted the coinage there, “But perhaps I could offer you a drink as a gesture of appreciation for your kindness?”

He motioned for her to precede him into the room.  It seemed fitting that he’d spend his last money on someone else.  His stomach growled in protest, but he’d get over it.

Garret’s eyes caught on his reflection in the looking glass as he moved towards the bar.  Although dry, his hair was still rumpled.  There was a splotch of mud on his chin which he rubbed away.  The mud on this clothing front couldn’t be tended to, so he simply pretended it wasn’t there.  He was about to find an open seat at the bar, perhaps somewhere near the red-haired woman that caught his eye, when the door to the bar opened again.  Three men came in.  To his mind one appeared clearly drunk even though it was still early in the evening.  They were laughing and celebrating in their own way as they lumbered in and now Garret’s muscles did tense and his eyes widened.  Instinctively his hand went to his shoulder, but whatever he wanted to grab wasn’t there.

The men nearly fell onto a table a bit away from the bar.  They didn’t seem to notice Garret or his companion.

One shouted, “Drinks all around!”

Garret suspected that they knew the place and the bartender.  They seemed rather comfortable.  Garret, however, was not.  A suspicion burned in his mind that these were the fools who’d attacked him and that the gold they planned to spend was his.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:13:06 am by Beau »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 05:07:03 am »
Krystal drew the attention of the other easily enough. Her fingers returned to the coins and she pushed them towards the woman’s hand, and then lifted them as the keeper listed off what was available to buy, food wise. If she were smart, she’d get something to eat. She had a bad habit of missing meals when traveling, and she couldn’t quite recall when her last meal had been.

‘Eat. You already thought time was not an issue.’
It was still raining outside.

Yet the way the woman looked at her told enough. She was too polite, more than she had been with the elf who was certainly more deserving, just by racial standards, of being treated so well. Then again, the elf had been chatty—perhaps it was unnecessary.
“If you have warm tea, I would take that. Whatever is convenient.” Alcohol was to be avoided at all costs. She’d not had a sip in her life and intended to keep it that way, lest she tempt the blood with her weakened state. “The lamb stew sounds appealing, as well. I should not require a room. I have business elsewhere,” this was a stop along a road that didn’t seem to get any shorter.

She let her hand move back towards herself, but did not drop it from the counter,
“I would also be willing to pay for any information on an individual named Marik Alsad, if you have any,” she didn’t reveal further coin, though. It was likely a matter to be debated, if the woman with the purple eyes even had any information on him.

If she didn’t, Krystal could eat and leave. She knew where she was not wanted, and the woman had made that quite clear in the small gestures of narrowed eyes and unheard words.

Her eyes glance off almost lazily towards those who enter. The man the elf had gone off towards was now dry, and seemed more pleasant, although tense. Briefly, she wondered if he knew the individuals who showed up.

That laziness faded with the ruckus the newcomers cause, and she notes to the bartender,
“I do not want anything but my tea to drink,” despite the outcry from the newcomers, just to make it clear. Her body posturing shifts, consciously tense, consciously threatening. She does not want the rowdy drunks anywhere near her. It never seems to end well.

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 05:14:00 am »
The human was dry though still disheveled looking but well enough Savania didn't mind him following. The offer of his to buy her a drink in thanks was quickly refused since honestly the man looked like he was on his last coin. "No no, don't worry yourself about that. Perhaps just some conversation though? I admit I'm a bit bored of no one to talk to but my horse."

As though her hope of amusement summoned them, a group of rowdy men came in, nearly tripping over themselves, and opening a tab for everyone. Wrinkling her nose at their behavior, Sav pulled her hood back up to hide her features and pointed ears. No telling what drunk humans would do but it was certainly not something she wanted to wait and find out. "On second thought, I think I shall retire early tonight. All that riding has worn me out." Leaning at the end of the bar, Sav waited to get the bartender's notice.

The woman beside her had hair almost as red as her own if perhaps a little darker and something tingled against Sav's memory... Shaking her head to push the thought away, chalking it up to the whisky she had finished, Sav instead waited to get either the room key or be told which room number was hers.

"It's gotten a little louder in here then I prefer so I think I shall head to my room earlier. Perhaps I can get a whisky on my own tab to go with? And don't mind if there's. But of ice on my door, I'd rather not take chances." A glance toward the loud men indicated who she was concerned with.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 01:17:39 am »
Alana nodded to the moody woman as she gave her order, reminding herself that not everyone who had the feel and aura of the woman before her, was a demon. And not all demons had a choice in the matter or were all that terrible.

She reached for a simple tea cup and saucer and with a twist of her wrist a steaming releasing pot was in her hand and she was pouring hot liquid into the cup. With a twist of her other wrist she produced a long simple box with labeled envelopes in it. Not many asked for tea, but she had close friends who always did that occasionally stopped in, so she kept a rather eccentric collection of things, almost as eccentric as some of her friends.

As she poured she smirked. "I'll take that coin off your hands, but I'd be tempted to give you information on him for free." The rowdy crew came in and she took a breath and held it, her jaw clenching slightly on one side. "Speak of the devil..." she muttered quietly to the out burst of the leader of the crew.

They must have been out causing trouble and harassing travelers again if they were able to buy a round for the house. The waitresses and wenches were quick to move around taking fresh orders and collecting coin from the men about the place, scurrying like mice. You'd think Alana didn't pay a fair wage, and she did. Everyone always wanted more, she supposed.

She looked back to the woman at her statement "He's a land baron around these parts that fancies himself some kind of royalty and treats the people like the trash he is, even though, less than five years ago he was a fly on the wall. He some how managed to make himself quite the coin in the last Hellion war, though how is beyond me. He couldn't swing a sword to save his life." She shrugged and pointed with her chin to the lead idiot, "That's one of  Alsad's men right there."

She looked back at her, "I'll go get your food. If you'd be so kind as to take any... heated conversations outside, it would be appreciated." She turned and walked down the bar to the elf, the pot disappearing as she went. She produced a bottle of whiskey and poured into the woman's glass as she twisted a hand and held out a key, "Room Twelve, but I assure you, we run a tight ship around here, though you are welcome to take non-permanent measures to your room to feel secure."

Alana moved to the swinging kitchen door and gave the cook the order for food and watched the room from the half open door. Now the new man wasn't soaked and looking like a wet rat, there was something vaguely familiar about him, though she couldn't say what. He did however, look to perhaps have been the target of some mischief.

Her eyes slid to the table of rowdy men, she'd had her chance to become a form of law enforcement for the roadside community and she's passed. More than once. The cook brought a tray over, something he'd only do for her and she walked back out to deliver the food.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:38:06 am »
Garret felt like he was walking through a thick fog that clouded his mind and slowed his steps.  The elf who rescued him earlier didn’t seem concerned when he held back and failed to stay at her side.  He could hear her change her mind about lingering and figured perhaps that was for the best.  Garret wasn’t sure he could make better conversation than a horse.  His head hurt even trying to find words to describe what he was feeling. In a partial daze he managed to join the patrons at the bar, slowly dragging one foot after the other.  The woman with tea seemed tense.  His own muscles were as tight as a bow string.  The obvious owner of the establishment bustled about but her silence betrayed her unease.

Glancing down, Garret noticed some coins on the bar.  A man’s profile was etched in the silver.    The chill he felt had little to do with the elf near him. He couldn’t say he recognized the likeness on the coin, but he’d just looked in the mirror and the resemblance was uncanny.

The rebels yelled for the waitress to hurry with their order. Garret’s head turned at the sound.  He wasn’t sure what caused him to leave his post when a shot of whiskey might have done him some good.  Without thinking it through he found himself standing before the men who’d followed him in.

“You stole something of mine,” Garret said.  His voice was soft like crushed velvet, but firm with resolve.  He extended a hand.  “I’d like it back, please.”

One of the men seated at the table rose.  He laughed and grabbed Garret’s wrist, yanking him forward.  Garret staggered unbalanced, and his hip bumped the edge of the table.  The wooden legs protested with a sharp squeek as they skid an inch on the tile floor.

The man drew his sword and leveled it at Garret.  “How about I take your hand for calling me a thief.”

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:39:31 am by Beau »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:06 pm »
It must have been the fact she ordered tea, for something changed in the woman before her as she fetched the drink and poured. Krystal almost felt at ease then, but she didn’t let it win over her. Just moments before, the woman had been eying her. She judged on small things. Krystal could muck it up quite easily, she knew.

As the information was given, Krystal mentally counted out how much the information was worth to her, and then laid out ten coins of gold. She’d offered, and the information was quite good, leading her to a man who could be useful in finding Alsad—though if he was a baron, he wouldn’t be difficult anyway.
‘I wonder how easily you’re bought?’ A glance at the idiot drunk on his success, and then a look away. “How convenient,” slipped.

That didn’t usually bode well for her. Someone who couldn’t fight was offending Hades?

Why did this reek of a trap?
‘And still, I’m going to walk right into it.’ As she always did.

She was starting to wonder what Hades had sent her in to now. Sometimes, often, she wondered if they were truly on the same side.
“Thank you. I’ll honor your request if it is in my power to.” She was not certain if it would even be best to approach him. Shadowing him might pay off more than words.

She would not start anything violent in the inn regardless, but she would defend herself if it came to it. The fact the woman understood enough to advise her to take it outside was appreciated. She knew what sort she was giving information to, at least, to some degree.

Krystal took up the tea cup, took a sip, and smiled to herself as the elf was addressed. This close, there was no denying what ran in the other woman’s veins, but she wouldn’t call it out. She’d ignore it, for that was what she desired.

The bartender was soon off again, and before she returned, an issue started. Krystal glanced over her shoulder to see a blade drawn.
‘Oh for fuck’s sake.’ This happened too often. Krystal wasn’t a hero. If it weren’t for the fact she might need Alsad’s man alive, she wouldn’t intervene in it.

As it was, she might need Alsad’s man.

Krystal slid off the stool, hand going to the blade at her hip as she walked forward with a calm gait.

The blade wouldn’t be the weapon of choice in this fight. She intended to cross her shadow with the man holding the blade. She could hold him in place that way. Demon magic could be subtle, and Krystal wanted to honor her word to the bartender as best she could right then.
“Gentlemen,” she addressed them both, though neither seemed gentle, “Let’s not ruin a good night,” the fire aided the shadows, and Krystal stopped once hers rested over Alsad’s man’s shadow. If he moved to strike, she'd try to use the shadow to keep his hand firmly in place, held by its tie to the shadow. “What is it you lost?” She inquired, “And what proof do you have that this individual has it?”

She kept her voice as neutral as she could, though she knew it would sound like she was in favor of the accuser. If what she’d heard of Alsad was true, she suspected his men weren’t the best, and probably got off the hook often enough.

'If my tea gets cold....'

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 04:46:11 am »
A glass of whisky was poured and as Savania sipped it she watched the human man make his way toward the rowdy group of men. Calling them thieves to their face was not the brightest idea. Admittedly, she had seen less wise choices made by humans but she still cringed at the incoming fight. Glass in hand and cringing, she started back towards the rooms and hopefully miss the violence.

The other woman went over there to see if she could help and for just a moment, a brief moment really, she considered staying behind but this was not her fight and certainly not something she could stop. Her assistance would cause more damage then a sword and that was just rude when considering how kind the hostess was. Pausing for just a moment, Savania shook her head and collected her drink before heading to the room rented.

Settled into her room, Savania sipped her chilled drink seated on her bed with her long cloak tossed over the back of the chair. Her clothes were more sensible then the expensive looking cloak and a little plainer then the rich embroidery but still elegantly tailored. Her ears twitched a little while she listened for what was going on in the main room. If she hadn't been pleasantly sleepy she may have felt the twinge of magic but instead her turquoise eyes closed slowly until she settled into a light doze. No wards or alarms were set in her room, deciding instead to trust her hostess.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 06:29:06 am »
She came back through the swinging door and saw the commotion starting to take place a little from the bar.

She set the food down next to the still steaming tea. She let her fingers linger on the edge of the platter and the saucer, sending a simple bit of her heat into them to keep the food warm until the intended recipient touched them and they'd start to cool again.

She picked up a rag and started to wipe down the bar, her attention half on the group. She wondered if the moody woman would keep her word, or if she was going to be throwing people out into the rain.

A slight smirk came across her face. She actually enjoyed tossing out riffraff. It gave her a chance to flex abilities and strengths she generally kept in check. She had a temper, and when provoked it could be destructive, down right annihilating when continually roused. It rarely got to that point anymore, too much loss and heart ache to stoke those fires within, but she could always feel it brewing at the edge of things.

She noticed the earlier bedraggled man had managed to get himself tangled up in the mess and she over heard the parroted accusations. She wouldn't put it passed the group of men to have stolen from him.

Her free hand went to a dagger at her hip, flicking it out and spinning it skillfully as she would a bottle when making a drink and showing off. She caught it and slid it loosely back in the sheath. If it came to it, she'd step in. She was tired of making, repairing, or buying new chairs for the time being.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 03:30:49 am »
Garret’s hair fell in his eyes, and he shook his head to clear his vision.  The same gesture could be perceived as submissiveness, a plea to the man holding his wrist that he had no words in answer to the man’s threat.  But truthfully, he was so angry those same words bunched in his throat.  His cheeks flushed and his eyes narrowed.  He tried to jerk free only to have the sword point graze his neck.

The indignity of the entire situation escalated as another woman came to his aid.  Was he so weak he couldn’t defend himself? And yet, she offered a voice of sanity and a question other than threat.  Garret took the opportunity to supply the necessary information.  “In his right pocket is a ring.”  He didn’t know how he knew, but he knew.  He could see it in his mind’s eye, even if he had no memory of why he believed it to be his.  “Silver band, black stone.  It’s etched with a six pointed star and fits on my finger, not his.”

The man holding his wrist tossed it away like the flesh was putrid.  “You’re delusional.”

One of his friends stood and leaned towards the man with the sword, “How can he see what’s in your pocket?”

The first offered only a glare at the other before placing a smile on his face for the red-haired woman.  “This ain’t your concern Missy.” 

A look to Garret, “I caught myself a spy.  Nobody loyal to the king where’s a ring like that.  If he thinks he owns one, well then we’ve matters to discuss.   Perhaps he thinks to frame me?  People around these parts have done less to try and damage my reputation.”

Garret gasped at the insinuation that he planted his own ring on the man. “I didn’t come anywhere close –“
The man hadn’t lowered his sword and he waved it now, nearly cutting Garret’s throat.  “We’d best take this outside.  I wouldn’t want to make a mess on the floor.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 06:14:17 am »
There were plenty of cultural things that Krystal didn’t understand. Of course, she still had no idea where she was in the world, but she didn’t pay much attention to things like rebel symbols unless it was going to help her find what she, personally, needed. The ring’s description meant nothing to her. “Maybe he doesn’t know what it means,” she didn’t.

Of course her words went ignored.

She broke the ties to his shadow by mistake, and nearly cursed aloud as he was able to move the blade to nearly cut the stranger. Fortunately, the stranger suggested they go outside. Krystal had an urge to ask about the ring, but bit her tongue.
‘Outside first.’ The men agreed to this idea to step outside, after all.

She let them get a few steps towards the door before following, understanding that they thought she had no part in all of this. They were out the doors before they noticed she had followed them, and only after she, too, was outside.
“Missy, we appreciate your help in getting him to confess—”

“So he has the ring?”
He hadn’t checked. Not physically. She looked at the leader. “How interesting that you know that without even looking in your pocket.”

“No, it’s that—if he confessed to having such a ring, then he’s got to be a spy.”

“I’m certain someone who knew what it was wouldn’t mention it in polite conversation,”
she said, “but I really don’t care about him, or his ring.” It was shadows everywhere out here, in the darkness. They had no idea what they’d done by stepping into the night. “I’ll even let you run off with him if you’ll take me to Marik Alsad. The bartender informed me you worked with him.”

That seemed to register in their drunken heads. The fact she had a sword must have also registered then, even though it remained in its sheathe. There was a wariness that came with the question,
“What do you want with him?”

“Oh,” her smile became wicked, “to kill him. And, I think I’d like to turn this man in, if he’s worth a pretty penny with that ring. Actually, you know what, just tell me where I can find Alsad and leave the stranger with his ring behind.”

‘Why do you always do this?’

Because, in truth, Krystal Itzume enjoyed fights more than anyone ought to. It was impromptu training. The men thought they had the upper hand, and the blade that had earlier been threatening the stranger came to threaten her.

It stopped at her neck, though it was clearly not the man’s intention. His eyes widened as he realized he couldn’t push the blade forward into her throat. It was caught in the grips of the shadows.

The shadow appeared like smoke at her feet, a moving, very 3-D thing in that moment, obscured only by how dark it was. It rushed up to her hand and she shoved it forward into the man’s chest, throwing him back with the energy of the shadow that chased after him as he fell, and then wrapping around him to hold him down. She wanted to talk to him about Alsad, after all. She needed him alive.

The others, however, were expendable, especially the one that called her ‘Missy’. The hand lost the shadow energy and drew the blade, just as that one began to whisper under his breath. A third drew a short sword, and a fourth favored a sword like their leader. He stepped closer to the whispering one, who must have been a trained wizard rather than a native magic user—strange they ended up in this sort of career. Perhaps they were kicked out for illegal use of magic.

There was certainly evident talent in the lightning that came forth from each finger, ten bolts in all directed at her. It was a pity Hades hadn’t taught her how to open rifts in space-time yet. She’d appreciate that knowledge about now.

She still had her tricks, of course. The darkness swirled up again, encircling her and seeming to make her vanish from the spot. The lighting struck the solid wall of darkness, which expanded out and around to mask her movement behind the mage, who was calling upon another spell on realizing the first failed to connect.

The words weren’t past his lips before his head was severed from his neck. Clearly, they weren’t expecting this from her.

The guard of the wizard looked in shock as he heard the sound of the blade. Then, he took off running. He didn’t get very far. The red-head threw her sword and, with a bit of magical guidance, it found its mark through his throat. She then turned quick to catch the arm of the last one who tried to shove his dagger through her heart. A quick twist of the arm, and his dagger fell from his hand. She caught it with her now-empty weapon hand, and plunged it through his heart, instead.

She pushed him away from herself and let him fall to the ground without a thought, and walked to retrieve the blade she’d thrown, still keeping a focus on the shadows that held Alsad’s man down.
‘Well, I suppose this is a bit of a mess, but it’s outside.’ She still wasn’t sure the bartender would appreciate this.

Blade retrieved, she turned back to her man, ignoring the stranger completely as she moved and set a foot on the stranger’s chest. She applied weight as she knelt, and held the blade over his neck,
“Now, about Alsad and where he lives? I’d like to know that, please.” The shadows released him then. Krystal didn’t want to use any more magic than necessary, since it would drain the illusion in place that kept her looking…well, normal.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:20:27 am by Krystal Itzume »

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 06:48:51 am »
She only half started her light nap, the whiskey set on the mattress beside her to be held by a mostly limp hand. The sounds from downstairs quieted as a door closed and vaguely Savania surmised they were going outside. Silly thing to do since it was all muddy from the rain, but then again mud and rain would hide the aftermath of the fight.

Turquoise eyes opened as she sighed, her nap severed as she tasted the ozone of a lightning spell. They must be outside her window. Cracking it open, her chin propped in her hand as she watched the last of the fight, her painted lips curled in a small smile. Humans were forever fighting amongst themselves as they blissfully ignored far greater threats that existed. Demons and Gods alone were enough of a threat, listed top among other things like disease and inhuman creatures like werewolves and vampires. But no, these were content to fight over some trinket stolen from them.

Reaching to drink the last of her whiskey, Savania groaned as she realized it was empty. Again. She was drinking more then normal but along with her dreadfully boring travels and even more dull company, nightmares and old aches made sleeping more and more difficult of late.

As the red-headed woman questioned her prisoner, Savania watched the clouds and sighed out a frosty breath caused by her own magic. "No moon tonight. It would be much prettier if there was a moon." Arms crossed over the sill, she let her mind wander in it's vaguely inebriated way, already forgetting the scene of violence below her. "I wonder if they're even under this sky..." Another much heavier sigh, the fog created this time magicked to take the form of a small bunny to hop around outside her window for a few minutes.

Those few minutes decided her. She needed another glass of whiskey if she was going to sleep properly tonight. Collecting her glass, the window left open, she paused by her door to smooth down the front of her cream-colored shirt before heading downstairs. Without her elaborate cloak with it's many pockets, she wore nothing more then a well made cotton shirt that remained untied over her chest so that she could show off what cleavage her thin frame had. The dark leather pants were fitted and accentuated her figure as she re-entered the main room. Soft-soled boots that laced up to her knee left we walk softly as her main goal remained 'Stay out of trouble'. A little chuckle touched her lips as she set the glass down on the bar. ~Stay out of Trouble. I can't even manage to stay on my route... Should remember to ask directions in the morning...~ 

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 08:16:19 am »
Alana watched the group head out the door. While she didn't believe in murder, the men had been the ones to suggest going outside, which meant it really didn't concern her. In the past she may have intervened, but getting wrapped up in other peoples problems- the real kind, not the drunken advice asking kind- hadn't been something she had done for a long time.

She felt the dark power just outside the door though, and her eyes tracked it. She felt the heat quickly start to drain from each and every man that fell outside the door, their lifes flames snuffed out. She wondered if the moody woman was going to clean up her mess, or if she figured it was the establishments problem to take care of corpses on their door step.

It seemed the man causing all the fuss tonight was still standing. Again, she wondered what it was about him.

She took a deep breath, pursed her lips and let a heavy sigh out of her nose. Just do your mundane job. Don't get tangled up. Don't get involved. No attachments.

The elf came back just then, looking a little loose on her feet.

She raised a brow, elves generally didn't get drunk so fast in her experience, though she hadn't met very many of them that liked whiskey.

She walked back over to the empty glass, calling up the bottle she'd used before, part of her attention still on the heat radiating from the living still outside. "And here I thought you'd retired for the night," she said smiling and poured another two fingers into the elvish woman's glass. She'd already paid for more than what she'd had, along with her room.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 10:29:55 pm »
Garret wasn’t thrilled about going outside, but it seemed the only course of action offered.  His alternative was to put up a tussle here, but he was outnumbered.  And yet he didn’t feel alone.  Maybe it was the quick glance at the interfering woman and the interest she’d shown that convinced him that help would be offered.  Perhaps it was just blind faith that some higher being would provide.  In any case, Garret let his feet move and kept his voice silent until they were outdoors.

Indeed the woman did follow.  He felt a twinge of regret when she said she ‘didn’t care about him’, but he felt no less confident that she’d aid.  Her agenda was different – another party – and he listened with interest to the name, only to frown when he found it unfamiliar.   The frown deepened as the blade shifted focus away from him and towards the woman. It was one thing to find help without asking, but it was another to be responsible if that good Samaritan was harmed.

Garret took responsibility seriously. “Leave her out of this.” The warning in his tone had no real backing.  Given how he’d woken earlier he doubted he could best these men in a fight, but he could pretend.  Maybe.  He tried to pull the conversation away, “Just give me my property and…”

No one listened to him.  He stopped mid-sentence, then opened his mouth to protest the woman’s claim that she would turn him in.  The indignity of being bantered about was too much for the thoughts to form audible words.

Shadows and light moved as magic was used.  Garret stood wondering if he should run, dodge or aid.  His role in this conflict was no longer clear as the men started to drop around him and not rise again.  He didn’t want to get caught in the cross fire – or linger where he was vulnerable – so he retreated a few steps down the road.  One of the men did the same and was cut down, the head rolling across the muddy path.  Garret wasn’t quite sure what to do with the body that blocked his exit.  As his companion approached, gathered her sword, and went on to another victim, he picked up the collar of the closest corpse and dragged it into the ditch.  The man was heavy.  Garret grunted with the effort, but felt better for the work at discretion.  He looked up and down the roadway and prayed the weather would keep others from joining them.  None had cried for help and the bar so far seemed uninterested in their actions.

Only a matter of time…

Garret wasn’t quite sure what to do with the head.  He used his feet and allowed it to rejoin the other severed parts in the ravine.  His stomach flipped over the contact with death.  His hand made a small warding sign as he turned back towards the bar. 

The woman wasn’t done.  The man with his ring was lying on the ground.  Garret could run and leave behind the burden of the theft, but he knew he needed that ring.  It was important.  Sentimental almost.  He didn’t think he was a spy or a rebel.  The ring wasn’t an evil symbol.

He mumbled, “Then again, who am I to know…”

In his peripheral vision he saw movement.  A ghost-like rabbit hopped on the edge of the lawn.  As Garret inched back towards the bar he watched to the foggy visage.  The situation was dire.  He shouldn’t be distracted by some rabbit when he could be trying to talk sense into the woman with him.  At the same time he half smiled and said, “Nice trick,” to the rabbit, before walking the last steps to the door and the interrogation in progress.

He really shouldn’t involve himself.  The woman had said she’d turn him in, although Garret didn’t believe she would –and really couldn’t grasp what trouble he’d be in.  I’m no spy…I’m…

The thought ended there as Garret’s boots stepped in the puddle closest to the downed body.  He didn’t mind the water – numb to the cold.  He doubted he was helping, or that she wanted his help, but he spoke anyway, “If you tell her what she wants to know, she’ll let you live.”  Not whole of course, the woman wasn’t through with her sword just yet, but he didn’t sense that she always killed her prey.  Funny word that.  He did his best to sound convincing. “Seems information is a simple price to pay for your life.”
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:43:19 pm by Beau »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 11:12:17 pm »
The man in the dirt was sputtering nonsense sounds rather than anything useful. She was willing to bet he understood his position a lot better than the stranger he’d threatened did. ‘Oh you naïve boy.’ Actually, the stranger was probably older than her.

Krystal wasn’t in the business of sparing others. It rarely worked in her favor. It usually just complicated things. People weren't often grateful to have been at sword point, and spared only after giving her something she wanted. No, usually some half-assed plan of revenge followed. But sure. Why not? It had been a while.
“Well?” Her voice cut through the silence that fell on the man when the stranger spoke to suggest he’d be spared. “I don’t really need you. Marik’s a baron. I could ask others in this area and eventually they’d point me to the right manor.”

She might still need a lot of pointing, anyway. Or a map and a compass.

The man considered his options.
“I’ll be killed….”

“Only if you’re stupid enough to return to Marik.”
She glanced away from him, “Just pawn the things your friends had. Should get you enough money to get out of here.” She couldn’t see the indignant look on his face. The offense at her lack of care, and the pain at the loss of three people he’d entrusted his life to.

He reconsidered the words on the tip of his tongue when he felt the blade press on his neck and draw blood.
“Ten seconds.” She didn’t need him. She meant that.

He blabbed. His life was more important.
“He’s not in this town. Some ways south. Makes his home in Primm—the small castle there—town’s inside the walls, of course, protected. About um, a day from here on horseback. Has some security to getting in, most days, but there's gonna be a festival soon where it's a bit...bit more lax.”

‘Goddamn it Hades, get it together when you send me places.’

Her irritation showed, and the man thought it towards him,
“What else do you need?” He’d told her where the man was.

The blade lifted a little.
“How’d he get his fortune in the Hellion war?” The question seemed random, but Krystal was certain it had to be tied in to how he’d offended Hades and Thanatos. The man in the dirt shook his head quickly from side to side, indicating he didn’t know. “Figures I’d get just a henchman.” No one Marik trusted.

She pressed her foot down onto his chest as she pushed herself back up to standing. That made it less likely that he’d go running back to Marik, which was her main concern in letting him live. The last thing she needed was Marik aware. It just made things take longer.

The man scrambled to his feet,
“Ah ah.” He paused before he could dart. “That ring.”

He reached into his pocket and threw it at her, rather than the stranger. Well, she had asked. She caught it, then let her sword slip into its sheathe.
“Run along now.”

That order, he could take. He ran.

Krystal opened her palm to look at the ring in her hand. It matched the description. It meant nothing to her, though,
“Here,” she held it out for the stranger. She could turn him in, but with her luck, the King was probably to the north, and she didn’t have time to drag around a hostage and go kill Marik. Priorities took precedence. Marik was priority number one.

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 08:38:03 pm »
Sipping the drink after it was poured, Sav grinned at the hostess. "I should, but either I'm to tired to sleep or to restless. The bit of activity outside doesn't help that much either but at least it was quick and quiet." Leaning on the bar, her eyes glancing around the room, she sighed a bit. "I do have to say though, humans will start fights over so many little things. A slight here, a trinket there... It's a wonder you get along at all but at the same time I've never met a race so willing to love and care as humans. For such short lives, you live them expressively and enthusiastically." Finishing her drink then in one quick motion, she exhales a bit of fog again. "And your drinks are much stronger then elven ones. Sometimes they manage something with a kick but more fruit flavors then an orchard." Wrinkling her nose with a laugh, Sav stood back a little to stretch.

"Do you want help clearing the bodies? I know a good spell to send them to the northern wastes or would their families prefer to complete the last rites?" Shrugging again, she sighed. "I never can remember the different human customs. Hell, half the time I ignore my own culture so I guess it's expected."

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 02:53:26 am »
Garret watched the prisoner’s release with a ghost of a smile.  As the man ran off his satisfaction faded.  He turned back to the woman. He didn’t expect her to toss the ring, so he fumbled and the metal dropped into the mud.  Garret used the excuse of looking down and rescuing the ring to build a pause into the conversation and gather his thoughts.  “I owe you at least a thank you,” he said, rescuing the gold and straightening.  He kept his eyes cast down as he used his shirttail to clean the ring.  “I have no other real way to repay you.” That was true since the others had taken his money.  “I have a horse, but you don’t need one.  So, I’m not quite sure where that leaves us, other than ‘thank you, Krystal.’”

He blinked, unsure where her name had come from. It had simply popped into his head.  Perhaps he’d overheard it in the bar, but he had a sinking feeling he hadn’t.  People tended to get touchy sometimes when their names were used.  Names were power.

Which is probably why it bugs you so much you can’t remember your own.

He slipped the ring on.  Indeed it fit over the area of paler skin on his third finger.  He flexed his hand.  The ring was surprisingly light, he hardly noticed it was there.  He realized he was embarrassed and blubbering.  Practical was better, so he looked around and noticed the other body there.  “I could clean up I suppose.” Neither of them wanted trouble with the law.

Garret suspected she’d go inside and leave him to his own devices, so he didn’t await her permission to get to work.  He stepped over to the slain man, and made a warding gesture with his hand, first down and to the side.  Then he reached for the man’s collar thinking to drag him to the ravine like the other he’d already shuffled aside.  Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to execute that plan.  As soon as his hand touched the man’s neck, the body disintegrated to dust.  Unbalanced, Garret pitched forward and landed on his knees.   The clothing was untouched, but the mass within was gone. 

Gingerly he touched the jacket that lay flat in the mud.  “Whoa,” his only comment.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 04:10:44 am »
Krystal flicked the ring to the man when he looked at it, expecting him to catch it. He didn’t, though. His reflexes weren’t great, apparently. A half-smile came to her lips when he suggested he owed her thanks. She could press on his words that he did owe her more, but considering his state, he probably couldn’t get her an audience with Marik, and he likely had no idea where to find Dievus. No one did.

Still, she didn’t say the words that were expected. One shoulder lifted in a shrug, and she turned to head back in, then froze.

She knew for a fact she’d never introduced herself, not within the bar, and not to this stranger. Her gaze returned to the stranger, and saw he looked just as confused as her.
‘Please, please not this. No, he doesn’t feel at all like me.’ There were many aspects to her blood. One of them was an annoying voice that popped up now and then, one that created a hive mind which she intended not to fall prey to, ever. She’d once considered it useful, when she was fifteen and it provided her with information.

Then it took hold of her. She still wasn’t sure what had happened, but knew she owed her life to the witch Alcina and her ever-weakening drugs. The witch knew it, too.

She turned back to face him fully. He spoke of cleaning up before she could get a proper question out, and she decided to let him. She followed him a bit, not bothering with clean up herself. She was so accustom to leaving bodies behind that it never even occurred to her as something…unusual.
‘You have a fucked up life.’ Well, that voice was her own, at least, the captain-obvious, eye-rolling worthy one.

“How—” and then the body vanished. Not the clothes, just the body.

Krystal took a step back as the man fell to his knees.
“Who in the name of all the gods are you, and how do you know my name?” She finally got out, much harsher than she'd intended it, but she did not add anything. She had wanted some harshness in it. 

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 01:35:05 am »
Joint post with Krystal to get us back inside

Garret felt the chill of the mud passing up his legs as she spoke.  He didn't flinch under her tone, but he had a sense that people rarely challenged him.  There was something...unique...about her anger.  He let it roll around in his mind.

"There is only one god," he decided to say, rather than answer the pending question.

He stood, and brushed his hands on his slacks before reaching down and gathering the - dare he think discarded? - clothing and placing them in the ravine.  He didn't consider trying his trick again with the body there.  He was stunned enough at the first outcome.

"I don't know," what what he said finally when the task was complete and he had a little distance between them.  He knew enough to stay out of reach of her sword arm.  "Maybe we've met before?"  He looked her up and down briefly, like a doctor surveying a subject.  "Name suits you."

Krystal was certain they hadn't met before. Given, she didn't have a perfect memory, but she liked to imagine anyone who knew her name, she'd remember introducing herself to. "Hades and Thanatos would disagree with you," not that he likely believed in them, and in the end it didn't matter to her if he did, or if Hades and Thanatos were truly divine. She certainly didn't worship them, after all. "But we haven't met. I don't know your name."

Rather than leave it vague, she asked, "What is your name?" For better or worse, the stranger certainly had her interest now. A ring that made bodies disappear, accusation of being a spy, and knowing her name were three things she couldn't quite ignore.

Should he be truthful? Garret tipped his head to the side and decided to gamble.  "I don't rightly know.  I think it's Garret."  He crossed his arms defensively, half expecting her to correct him.  "Had a nasty blow to the head recently," a nod to the remains of the dead, "Don't know my last name, or why I'm here."  His hand fisted into a ball under his armpit, another unanswered question hidden there.  "Don't know the city you're now headed to, but I have a feeling we're going together.  Since I seem to owe you."

‘Surnames aren’t important.’ Krystal had two, depending on who one asked. She claimed only one. “Garret’s enough,” he hadn’t revealed he knew either, and that was just fine. First-name basis was best.

One hand moved to her hip and she looked him over as he suggested that he owed her. She was a terrible person to owe a favor to, but she’d not correct him.

It seemed he might even turn out to be useful. “I don’t know the city either. I’m not from around these parts,” she answered. They had that much in common, “but if you want to come along, I won’t argue.” It wasn’t typical, but now and then she’d connected with other travelers when goals coincided. Didn't always work out, but sometimes, it did.

Besides, it would probably look more normal for her to be traveling with someone anyway, and she was curious about his ability to draw up information on a whim. “I don’t suppose you’re going to want to rest, are you?” She honestly didn’t want to rest for the night, but she had tea and a meal to finish up, assuming it hadn’t been brushed away due to her departure.

Garret offered a twisted smile.  "I wouldn't want to argue with you."

She spoke of leaving, and since he had no reason to stay, he agreed.  "Rest is for the wicked," he said.  And Garret had a feeling rest was something he did infrequently.  "Our friends know other friends.  It might be best to be gone before they arrive."

He looked over his shoulder.  The little fog bunny was gone.  The sky was starting to clear, and he had no reason to linger.

Garret walked towards the door and opened it.  "After you."

Krystal shook her head, uncertain what to make of the agreeable personality. It was a rarity. A smile even graced her lips at his actions and words. He even understood why she would want to move on quickly.

Sure, he might try to put a knife in her throat later, but for the moment she appreciated that he wasn't being argumentative. "Thank you," the door was held open, and so she walked back into the tavern, sighted her tea and food still where she'd left it, and walked to rejoin her meal.

After the brutality of the fight, this exchange was so civilized it was almost laughable.  He bowed as she entered the tavern before him, hiding the widening grin on his face.

He said each direction silently to himself as he followed her inside.  Indeed ‘south’ caused a small flutter in his stomach.  Either it was right, or horribly wrong.  The morning would tell.

The room seemed the same as when they had left, save for the empty table where the men had sat.  “So nice to see we were missed,” Garret smirked.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 06:47:40 am »
Alana didn't contradict the Elf on her assumption that she was human, she didn't even bother to shrug. She was oh so much older than she seemed. She'd lived life times, but the most recent one, the only one she really felt mattered even with all the loose ends and heart break.  Alana looked and felt to most like she was human... but she was closer to a demigod if she cared to claim the heritage, which she did not.

She pushed thoughts of the all father, her father, her sisters, from her head before they could be more than dust swirled in passing stride. She quirked her mouth slightly, "I'm not so sure you can label such as loving and caring with what just went on outside for the smallest slight. If humans loved and cared so much, they'd kill less and cherish each other more. I've heard more than my fare share of lost love and lost life over these counters."

She shrugged and wiped at a non-existant spot on the counter with a rag.

Alana's brow raised at the offer to help clear the bodies. "There's a ward around the place. Being as close as we are to where the Hellion Wars ripped open the earth, we can't take chances with dead bodies. Once they cool to a certain temperature, their bodies are returned to the elements from whence they came. None of those men had families to speak of, but I'm sure I'll be informing a magistrate or someone when they come looking, if any of them are missed. But thank you all the same."

A nice bit of magic she and Kay, her half demon friend, had spelled together when the place had first opened and they found reanimated corpses coming back inhabited by scrounging demons and their ilk.

She looked up as the waif of a man and the dark feeling woman came back in. She was becoming more and more convinced the woman was some kind of demon or demon familiar. Alana knew from experience, you didn't have to be a demon to serve one, love one, or be granted some of their... talents.

She was a little surprised that after what they just did outside, and the fact that it was roudy enough to rouse the elf and possibly others, that they would come back inside. But she wasn't one to judge, she'd killed in a bar brawl before, and if truth be told, it generally had the effect of building up an apatite.

She made sure the tea and food were still warm, with a stray thought, they hadn't moved or cooled since she set them down, and she turned back to the elf, lifting the bottle again. "Another drink or has the musing of a worn out tendress left you aching for your bed at last?"

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 04:57:25 pm »
Chuckling a little as she slides the glass toward Alana, Sav nods and stands to stretch her arms over her head. Sighing contentedly, the elf nods toward the pair at the bar with her. "If there won't be any more street brawls I think I can actually sleep for a bit. Hopefully as well the weather holds so I can travel south with out to much more of the rain. As mysterious and enchanting as fog and mist can be, I would rather not travel in it. Always makes my hair curl." Chuckling again and she turns to head upstairs to her room again.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 07:50:37 pm »
It was humorous in so many ways, that Krystal felt oddly better. It could have been the after-battle high, but that fight had been too short to even count. The gestures of Garret amused her. She didn’t need to see his smile to be certain it was there.

The gestures of the barkeep were equally interesting, for when Krystal touched the cup she hadn’t expected it to be as warm as when she left it, if not warmer. Certainly not cold yet, but she was still surprised enough to withdraw her fingers at the touch. She did not know for certain if it was the work of the woman behind the counter, but she had a feeling, much as she was quite certain this place as a whole was a lot more than it looked.

But, there’d be no time for exploring it. Her fingers returned to the cup and she wrapped them around it, put her palm to it, and drank deeply of the tea as Garret offered his commentary on the environment.
‘Must not be uncommon.’ That, or people simply didn’t like getting involved. Both worked fine for her.

The elf spoke of heading south, and Krystal glanced over her shoulder at that.
‘Funny.’ All in the same direction. It was on the tip of her tongue to mention her own direction, a flash of memories when she had a pair of friends to travel with, but she shook the thought away almost as soon as the elf decided to go to bed. She wasn’t going to wait for the elf to wake up. What happened to her own hair didn’t concern her in the weather. The cold didn’t bother her anyway. 

The tea was good, warm in more than one ways. There was a cinnamon ting to it that added the kick, a strong flavor—not watery. When she’d drunk nearly half the cup she set it aside and decided to try the food, which turned out to be to her liking as well. It would be hearty enough to sustain her travels until the next town, at the very least.

She had no comments for the room, and so contented herself with the meal in silence. The tendress probably didn’t want to hear anything from her as it was, considering she had made a mess of things.
‘Outside.’ Rarely the point. The woman would likely be grateful that she would eat and leave. No more fights outside the bar. ‘Hopefully.’

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 01:47:58 am »
“…the Hellion War’s ripped open the earth…”

Garret heard the trailing of the conversation as he reentered, but didn’t chime in.  He frowned over the coincidence of an event being mentioned twice by two people in rapid succession, and out of each other’s earshot.   A memory nibbled in the back of his mind.  Smoke.  Sitting on horseback with a fist in the air as though about to lead a charge.  A black cape floating in the wind. But the vision was muted like a watercolor painting left out in the rain.  The colors ran together, melted and faded as Garret blinked and moved further into the room.

Krystal seemed to have no trouble returning to her seat.  The elf was back, but as Garret approached, again she seemed ready to scurry off to her room.  A touch of vanity caused him to lift one shoulder and sniff to see if he was carrying the scent of manure or something worse.

Not that it matters.

“We are going south as well,” he chimed in.   And as she walked past he offered an offhanded, “and curly hair would suit you.”  He did his best to lock eye contact with her and counter her chuckling humor with a serious, “And you shouldn’t stay here. It’s dangerous.”

He felt restless and ran a nervous hand through his hair.  He wondered how long it would take the bartender to call for the authorities.  Unsure why he felt the need to share he said, “Got my ring back,” and flashed the metal in her direction.  Maybe he hoped she’d see the justice and realize the disagreement resolved.  Although he couldn’t say it was favorable for all parties involved.  For some reason he was glad that the large slab of wood of the bar separated them.  He sensed a certain danger in the deep set eyes.

His stomach rumbled but he didn’t want to sit and eat.  “I’ll go and saddle my horse.”  Traveling by night was foolish and apparently would curl his hair, but he was willing to assume the risk.  “Meet me in the stable when you’re done,” he said to Krystal.  He walked towards the door, eager to brave the night air, and fairly confident that there would be three on the journey south.