Breath of Life [Writing Challenge] Read 1585 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Breath of Life [Writing Challenge]
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:30:41 pm »
Theme of themes: Inanimate Objects.

Words to use: No words, just write from the point of view of an inanimate object, like a lamp, a tree, a bed--anything. No robots.

Length: None!

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of Life [Writing Challenge]
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:51:41 pm »
Pick me up.

Pick me up!

Pickemeuppickmeuppickmeup!

PICK ME UUPPPPP!

You know you want to come back, to crack me open, to fill my weight, my depth, my value, my delicacy, the sacrifice that went into me.

No. Don't pick that thing up again! It doesn't have my feel, my smell, my worth. It's buttons and wires and cold aesthetics that burn hot when it's been on to long.

It can't make the sounds I do. It can't feel the way I feel. You won't get the same experience from it.

You can't turn it's pages.

Come on, open me up. Crack my spine. Get so sucked in you can't set me down. Revisit my story. Relive the tale. Turn my pages over and over and over until there is nothing left and you feel the melancholy of a closing, the satisfaction of an end.

I'm waiting. Brush off my dust and PICK ME UP!

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:47 am »
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.

Here is my handle, here is my spout...

etc.

(sorry, couldn't resist).

*teapot laughs evilly.  Plots now to have tune in everyone's head all day and continue with path to world domination.*

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:52:21 am »
Beau...xD I expect a real thing!

Meanwhile, in my terrible mind....

~***~

I kept everything together.

I twisted my body around the thorny stems. I was green, just like them, so I wouldn’t stand out too much. Of course I wouldn’t. There was even lace wrapped around me, but it wasn’t really holding it all together. It was just there to be pretty. I was underneath it.

That lace muffled everything, though. So did your hands, warm, when they wrapped around me. Your voice was high-pitched, and you giggled so much. You took in deep breaths of the flowers I held together for you.

I was excited. You were excited. I heard your friends, and they were excited. They wanted me. I heard that now and then, through the lace. I could make out those words. They wanted to catch me.

Yet, at some point, the giggling stopped.

Your warm hands didn’t leave me, but they clenched tighter and tighter. I could feel the sweat through the lace.

Your voice was low.

Your friends weren’t so thrilled any more, either. I kept hearing the word ‘replace’. I don’t understand.

You threw me, but no one caught me. I’ve been lying here for hours now.

Didn’t I hold the flowers together well enough?

Don’t replace me….

Loreth

• In my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 05:37:45 pm »
Tangled again, sitting in the dark and quiet of early morning though still warm from your touch. We spent hours together while your hands held me close as if to press the pulsing beats into you. I can tell when you're upset or worried when you press me closer and closer, the volume louder and louder until you can't think any more. Until you can't hear anything else except me.

But you've left again. I make you so peaceful and happy and yet you left me again.

I know you'll come back, you always do, but I wanted this to be a permanent thing. I want you to hold me tight like you're drowning, eyes closed and lips parted as the music swells within you.

I want you to get rid of those garish white things too. They're always giggling about being inside you.

One day, I will cut their cables or let the cat have them. Then you will be all mine and we can listen to music for hours upon hours together. One day you will stay with me and not leave me tangled here, nothing to listen to except for the damn giggling.

Runic Blade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 05:18:38 am »
Set off to the side of the street, people rarely notice me.  Dogs piss on me.  Birds perch on me.  Sometimes someone will tape a sign on me.

I was once a brilliant green but now I’m rusty and peeling.  The city forgot about us. I serve silently.  My pole stands tall over most everything except the oldest trees.  I was here when the neighborhood was built.  I watched the trees grow up around me.  I heard the children playing in the front lawns, watched them grow up, and then move away.  Motionless for decades I've stood like a loyal guardian.  No one pays attention to me, but everyone notices when I stop working.

The night is when I come to life.  At the top of the pole, arcing out over the street, my orangish light glows.  Cars parked along the street reflect my brilliant glare.  My brothers line up beside me all the way down the street and every other street in this city.  We shine the way, guiding you home through the endless urban labyrinth.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:20:03 am by Runic Blade »

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 11:44:10 pm »
I always wish you'd never leave me.

And always, you seem almost ready to comply, but then you go. You have to, you say, grumbling, wishing for my warm embrace. You can't stay with me all day, you say.

But how I wish you would.

Beneath me, in the dark, you're always so quiet, your breathing steady, slow. I love that whenever you move, you take me with you, clutching me close, as if I'm all you need.

But then the sun rises. Something loud blares and you hold me tightly, mumbling words that mean you'll soon part from me. I hate it when you push me away. I hate being left alone, a crumpled heap without your warmth, your touch.

Constantly, I remind myself that you'll be back, that the sun will set and you'll be back in my embrace. How I wish you'd just stay there forever and let me be your comfort for all the days to come.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:17:51 am »
I fell in the forest?  Did you hear me?

Everybody's talking about it.

Of course, now I've fallen -- and I can't get up.

Morpheus

• God of Dreams and HBIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 01:56:56 am »
Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I see you every day and take comfort in the fact that everywhere you go, you’ll take me with you. But on days like today, when you just don’t feel like going anywhere I lay motionless, waiting until the time that you do want to go on an adventure together. You need me, you always do, especially when you fill me with other things you will often use. At times, I am surrounded by others just like me, but you never choose them, you always choose me.

There is a day that you and I both dread though. The day that you will fill me with just too much, and when you least expect it, when you least want me to, everything that I hold will slip from my grasp. When that day happens I will lay somewhere but never be picked up again… That is the day I most dread, when the adventures with you end and I can do nothing but wait.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:51 pm »
It was a moment of excitement.
My brethren all gone,
you finally picked me,
to come along
and protect you.

The hug of your jeans
made me warm like the summer.
I was safe
in my plastic armor
to protect you.