Re: Chained to the sky [OOC]
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 06:10:05 am »
Alliance Galactic Race Record-
*Human
Origin- Earth
Average Male Appearance- 
~Height:  1.7-1.9 meters
~Weight: 59-114 Kilos
~General description: Smooth epidermal, warm blooded, hair covered, bipedal, mid-level bone density, non conforming skin/eye/hair color, no distinguishing consistent race marks

*Falinian "The Marked"
Origin- Falinia
Average Male Appearance-
~Height: 1.8-2 meters
~Weight: 46-79 Kilos
~General description: Smooth epidermal, warm blooded, hair covered, bipedal, high level bone density, semi-conforming skin/eye/hair color- mid- to light level hair color(unless blended race), cool tone eye colors- no browns(unless blended race), non-conforming consistent race mark- yellow to red spectrum mark appearing in mid to late adolescence- can be passed on in mixed race children.
~Suspected Abilities- Non-Gender specific- Able to control dormant life aka GenZero ships through possible mental link, further study necessary. Female Falinian- appear to have an extra sense, possible precognition of danger.

*Chamia
Origin- ChaAmphelion
Average Male Appearance-
~Height: 1.6-2 meters
~Weight: 79-127 Kilos
~General description: Semi- scaled epidermal, cold blooded, hair on head only, bipedal, high level bone density, semi conforming skin/eye/hair color- blue/green scales in varied patterns of pale green to humanoid tones- only consistently scaled epidermal pattern located on the spine from base of head to end of spine.
~Known abilities- Non-gender specific- ability to subtly change skin and/or hair color to blend with environment- can be passed on mixed race children. Ability to excrete a sticky substance from palms of hands and feet to climb- not commonly passed to mixed race children. Female Chima specific- excretion of a toxic venom from fingernails. 

*Charak
Origin- Issa
~General description: Non-humanoid entity, sentient- high thought procees, Quadrupedal, fur covered front limbs lengthened with double opposable thumbs
~Known abilities- Non-gender specific- Telepathy aka teleprojection- ability to project thoughts to all known life forms, not able to receive thoughts from non-Charak life forms.

No other species of sentient depth worthy of recording.

Alliance Core Solar System Record-

Cressida Asteroid belt
*260 Million km

Absalome
*First contact planet
*Terradome colony
 ~orbit:    110,700,000 km (1.00 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 10,456.3 km
 ~mass:     4.672e24 kg

Besselian
*Seat of the Alliance Council
*Terraformed planet- Major human recolonization planet
 ~orbit:    189,100,000 km (1.90 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 70,984.6 km
 ~mass:     13.796e24 kg

ChaAmphelion
*Previously inhabited planet
   - Habitation by human life forms with minor to mid level difficulty
 ~orbit:    289,300,000 km (2.76 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 68,890.8 km
 ~mass:    10.786e24 kg

DeIrada
*Terraformed Planet- mineral rich
 ~orbit:    341,360,000 km (3.56 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 34,328 km
 ~mass:     2.632e24 kg

Suna Asteroid Belt
*56 million km

Elenmont
*Terradomed metro colony
 ~orbit:    498,000,000 km (5.67 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 51,118 km
 ~mass: 8.683e25 kg

Falinia
*Previously inhabited planet- recolonized after the end of the war
  -Habitation by human life forms with minor level difficulty- Falinian race seems to share many similar DNA markers with Human race. Adverse to joining Alliance.
  ~orbit:    546,249,000 km (6.1 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 5,880 km
 ~mass:     5.412e24 kg

Gallieen
*Terraformed planet
 ~orbit:    689,300,690 km (7.34 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 12,997 km
 ~mass:     4,86e24 kg

Hi'yalafan
*Terradome Civilization
  -Water heavy planet
 ~orbit:    787,250,170 km (8.76 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 58,458 km
 ~mass:     10,417e24 kg

Issa
*Previously inhabited plant -Terradome outpost
 -Desert planet, rich mineral upper mantle
 ~orbit:    923,523,904 km (11.45 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 39,274 km
 ~mass:     8.234e24 kg

Samim Asteriod Belt
*95 million km

Jasec'Helion
*Terradome civilization
 ~orbit:  1,798,400,765 km (12.65 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 90,368 km
 ~mass:     15.234e24 kg

Kinallava
*Terradome metro colony
  -Site of surrender
 ~orbit:  2,934,439,000 km (19.47 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 120,274 km
 ~mass:     20.384e24 kg

Leaimatia
*Terradome Colony
  -Ice Planet
 ~orbit:    3,429,400,000 km (25.45 ASD) from Nova
 ~diameter: 49,532 km
 ~mass:     8.453e24 kg

Outer Core Planets
*Approx 30 known planets- mostly Terradome Outposts, 2 possible colonies [Need further investigation to verify colony size], 2 known Terraformed plants- success of terraforming unconfirmed.

[ASD- Alliance Standard Day travel time with non-modified light drive]

Addendum on Terradome Size Record

*Terradome outpost
 -Less than 100 thousand Alliance Citizens
   ~10-20 Planetary domes, connected or stand-alone domes

*Terradome Colony
 - More than 500 thousand Less than 2 million Alliance Citizens
   ~20-100 Planetary domes, connected or stand-alone domes

*Terradome Metro Colony
 -Less than 5 million Alliance Citizens
   ~100-500 Planetary domes, interconnected, very few stand-alone domes

*Terradome Civilization
 -More than 10 million Alliance Citizens
   ~500+ Planetary domes, interconnected, little to no stand-alone domes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:38:54 pm by Peregrine »

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:07 am »
So was looking at more of this artists stuff that inspire the original idea and saw this. Totally made me wonder what kind of things they are doing the "Marked" and if in the future we could see one of them brainwashed manning one of the living ships to come after folks/partner up with the hunter. Just more thoughts.

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 03:41:55 pm »
That's an awesome picture. I really like the idea of brainwashing the Marked, personally. Especially if the indoctrinated Marked was someone Beau or Pach knew in the past.

What kind of government is the Alliance, Pere? Is it similar to that corporate super-government in Firefly, all authoritarian and what not?

Edit// Also, I've been thinking about the AIs. I like what we were saying before about AIs being developed in response to and in an attempt to copy the bio-ships that the Marked work with so well.

Drawing heavily from both Mass Effect and Halo, I like the idea of the AIs having their own personalities, as if the research into the bioships had effectively created artificial life, though they have no idea how it really 'works'. Because of their ignorance in what they created they worry what an AI is capable of, but are more greedy in the multitude of opportunities an AI presents, the Alliance limits those powerful sentient computers to their own military/police/task forces and inhibit them directly with human programmed 'shackles', like EDI in Mass Effect or the Three Laws of Robotics in I, Robot.

So the AI can perform amazing calculations and can run the ship as effectively as an actual crew, but are still subject to following human commands at the price of reduced functionality and snarky, sarcastic comments from the AI.  I'm playing with the idea of my hunter unshackling the AI that will run his ship and treating the AI more like his partner than a tool.

Sorry for the rambling, lol. What does everyone else think?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:04:25 pm by Pride »

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:39:58 pm »
I'm thinking sort of all encompassing/authoritarian government with the mock appearance of a republic. Meaning there is a core government that has representatives from each planet and the planets have representatives from different parts of the planet- trickle down government sort of- but where there is a "council" with an elected council leader that really is the group in power.

So Firefly with a, before the empire, Star Wars feel to it... if that makes sense.

Again, I'm working on planet descriptions and some more wordage for the government/military officials, but if anyone wants to chime in on any of that stuff, you can totally put it here or pm me.

And I'm totally on board with the AI stuff. =]

Pach_Work

• prone to imagination spasms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 12:25:47 am »
Would there be colonies set up over the planets? I saw something about the domes you mentioned but I didn't know if that was the same thing. Or would you say that most people inhabit Earth and the other planets instead? I keep having this idea that my character would be from a specific colony that was destroyed long ago (for whatever reasons, can't think of a legit one right now. Maybe accidental?)

I took the idea someone mentioned of being genetically altered, but instead I thought about her being a Marked originally, rescued from the destroyed colony and genetically altered to have human characteristics (like a disguise to hide her origins). I am thinking whoever saved her would be some sort of doctor/scientist combo working with the government to study and pair the marked with ships.

This may have been said before, but I have been skimming the replies and pulling out stuff related to what I've had in mind, but would it be safe to say there are groups against the research and utilization of the Marked races remaining? Like a rebel group who fears what could become an army and feels as if the research should be put to a stop?

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 05:01:40 am »
Pach, it's actually the other way around- The government(the Alliance) does not want the Falinian People aka "The Marked" to exist, except where they are doing experiments on them to uncover the secrets of living ships. The Resistance was formed to protect the Falinian people and to stop a tyrannically minded Alliance from continuing to grow and solidify.

The way I picture it, there are still people back on Earth, but it's sort of considered antiquated to still be living there. I'm trying to get a post up about the new planets- beyond races that were found on some- but where there was the possibility of Terra forming of an entire planet to suite the needs of humans, it was done. Where it wasn't feasible to terraform an entire planet- either because of the races already living there, or because it wouldn't take on a large scale- there are terradomes: whole interconnected cities on some planets, to cities separated by large tracks of inhospitable land between on the outer rim planets.

Okay... I'm just going to work on a post about Inner Core Planets- the ABC's and what they constitute and Outer core planets that are more like small colonies/communities- poorer, dirtier, less tech, etc.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 05:14:02 am »
Thanks for explaining! That actually makes it easier for me to write my char's backstory. I'll try to have a post up soon ^^

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 05:32:26 am »
Pach, where is your character going to be? Are you part of the Anne crew?  On the planet?  With Pride's character?

Oh, and I like the AI as a sidekick idea, Pride.  I sort of had that envisioned for you before you mentioned it.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 06:12:56 am »
Well for now I have her alone. Let me know if you wanna collaborate or meet up!

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 07:12:52 am »
Actually, I was thinking it might work if the three of us were on the Anne.  I'm definitely the one making all the noise at the moment, but I'm assuming the ship has more crew than the two of us.

Indeed - Peregrine- how many people should be on the ship?

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:06:02 am »
I'd say... less than 20 for sure, 15 or less most likely, if I'm being realistic - I'd really prefer around 10, but with the size ship and pirating enterprise, it'd have to be at least 10.

I totally thought we were going to be picking up Pach when we stopped to pick up cargo, have a dashing off to keep from getting caught, but I could see Pach on board as well, maybe more high profile... wanted, since they know about her? Dunno... more discussion?

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 08:48:26 am »
I also like the idea of Pach being planet side, as I imagine her being newly 'Marked' and all that would make her my hunter's target. The catalyst for her joining the crew/hopping on the ship can be my hunter pursuing her, him arriving just in time to see the name of the ship before it takes off. Cue chasing the crew around the galaxy, etc etc.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 09:03:20 am »
Yeah that could work! Pride, perhaps he could have been hunting her for the past day or two? I am thinking that she will have some other "wanted" qualities besides just being marked. I had imagined her in a little bit of debt among other things. Still working all that out. Perhaps when she is scooped up by the Anne, she hides those little details from the Captain? Haha unless that wouldn't matter to the crew.

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 03:49:46 pm »
That sounds good to me. Though I doubt the more relatively minor things like having debts will matter much to Orion, who will be hired by the Alliance to capture her for her unique abilities, not her gambling problem/poor handling of money/reason for being in debt.

And from the way the 'Marked' seem to be essentially criminals in the eyes of all those loyal to the Alliance, I imagine your character Pach would probably find it safer to claim she's being chased because of those debts rather than the mark on her body. Even newly 'Marked', she would know enough about them to know it's best to hide that kind of thing, yeah? One never knows how sympathetic or greedy/patriotic another might be. Then perhaps Beau's character can suspect the truth and lead to drama time on the ship.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:52:47 pm by Pride »

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 05:01:14 am »
Ah, true. Guess it could just be a hole she dug deeper. Sounds like she is going to be quite reckless. I'm excited about cat and mouse.

Peregrine, what would you say the mark looks like? Specifically the shape, since you mentioned the color of it. Or would it just be unique to the person like a regular birthmark would be?

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 05:22:47 am »
Each of the marks are different- like the pictures I put up.... not necessarily a hand print and an arm tattoo- but maybe they could be? Maybe they can't change the fact that they have it, but maybe something about them determines what it looks like? Or they can learn a level of control over their gifts and can eventually manipulate them into shapes/designs/etc.

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 08:42:09 am »
Actually, I was thinking it might work if the three of us were on the Anne.  I'm definitely the one making all the noise at the moment, but I'm assuming the ship has more crew than the two of us.

ahem, four, yo. i'll be posting soonish. my dude bro is human and other than once being part of the resistance, a weapons enthusiast, and a decent pilot, he's pretty boring.

edit: posteddddd. i added some ptsd/synthetic arm for drama or something like that. aka my slight jet reference.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:38:19 am by Lightning »

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 06:57:30 pm »
Yeah, more crew!

I honestly will try to post tonight.  Work has been horrific.  THe post is sitting in my head, I just have to get my fingers into something other than a spreadsheet.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 09:46:28 pm »
Yay! More posts!! Whoot!

Also- I edited the "information" post with "known/suspected abilities" in the race section, then added some information on planets, terradomes, etc.

If anyone wants info added to this post- ideas you've got, things you think the Alliance would have a record for, etc. let me know/send me a pm/post it here and I'll edit it in what have you. I've got a general idea of how this verse looks, but by no means have I explored all the possibilities!

I'll mention here, the info on each of the planets has what I called and ASD number, Alliance Stand Day number. It is sort of a number to go along with how fast you can travel from the sun(Nova) to a said planet or between planets/places if you subtract their ASD numbers. This travel time is with a standard "light drive" on a ship. With modification to a ship, or breakdowns that number will fluctuate- I just wanted us to sort of have a "standard" for how long it took to get to a place-ish, since they are in space and don't exactly have "formal" days.

Annnnyyyyyway... I'm just super excited. =]

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 03:32:48 am »
So, my intro didn't come off quite as I planned, so I figured I'd share here the details I couldn't muster.  MacIntyre is the only name he really uses -- if Mac gave a first name somewhere along the way everyone has conveniently forgotten it.  Brownish hair, blue eyes.  He's going to be a mass of contraditions - formal and informal all at the same time.  He'll have the personality that should be approachable, but everyone is at arms length.  And, I figure though that he calls the Captain by title because she intimidates him.

Maybe Raleigh and Mac can be roommates?  We can always have a third spare bunk in the event Pride's character makes it on board.  Might be fun tension.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:39:55 am by Beau »

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 04:04:50 am »
Maybe Raleigh and Mac can be roommates?  We can always have a third spare bunk in the event Pride's character makes it on board.  Might be fun tension.

that's fine with me.

also, Peregrine, any kind of particular info on what kind of weapons will be used? we doing this star trek stun/kill gun, futuristic bullets, lasers, or whatever else i may not have mentioned.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 04:54:38 am »
Haha, I can totally see Andy intimidating pretty much everyone! Well... maybe not Raleigh, at least not all the time.

I just realized I never described Andy in my post either, so I suppose here goes- She's a dirty caramel blond, with muddy green eyes, she's pretty tall, 5'10-5'11 ish? She's a Chima/Human mix and not really proud of it- and there are some things about her because of her mixed race that will get brought up in the thread. I will say she has the spinal scales, but she keeps them covered- she wears a scarf around her neck (cowboy style) almost all the time if she's not alone.

Lightening- maybe Raleigh knows? Or at least suspects? Maybe she was there when he lost his arm? How well are we thinking they know each other?

Andy's not unfriendly, but she doesn't get close to people often or easily, and she takes her ship, and her freedom because of it, very seriously. You screw with either of those, or those she cares about and you're going to see the cold, 02-less side of an air lock.

also, Peregrine, any kind of particular info on what kind of weapons will be used? we doing this star trek stun/kill gun, futuristic bullets, lasers, or whatever else i may not have mentioned.

As for weapons- umm... less star trek more Battlestar Galactica and Firefly- meaning, weapons with modern bullets/lasers, not so much the stunning bit. More gritty, and resource available reloads.

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 05:07:22 am »
bullets and lasers? sweet. i like that. so like, bullets for more planetary things? you know, where gravity is present and those things are actually useful. and space for the lasers? like on the ships and what not?

as for how well Raleigh and Andy know each other, he might have some suspicion? unless you think it's better storywise for him to know. if he does know, he wouldn't be the type to talk about it. he can be pretty tight lipped at times.

she can also be there when he lost his arm, if you want. i left the voice he heard as non-specific but it could be Andy's, freaking out if he's dead or not.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 05:17:58 am »
Ahh! I love the idea of her being the one freaking out in his memories, and I honestly don't mind either way-him knowing or not knowing. I'd think they're pretty good friends. Battle buddies for sure- a closeness that keeps them a bit apart together when in a group of others? Does that make sense?

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 05:54:33 am »
awesome. well, if he knows, it would probably mean Andy trusts him quite a bit no? i mean she's hiding it because she doesn't want to be judged for it and stuff right? i do love the idea of them being good friends/battle buddies. watching each other's back and the like~

and yeah, i think i get ya. probably.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 08:39:41 am »
Wrote that half-asleep. Forgive me if it's littered with spelling errors because my fingers get lazy typing at 1:30 am
:cow:

I made my character unaware of the fact that she was "adopted" and genetically operated on to give her the mark and abilities of the marked. But she will find out soon enough.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 08:41:23 am »
I'm glad someone understands my ramblings. ^_^ It's settled then. =]

Pach! That was beautifully done! No worries at all!

After Pride posts, I think we'll have the crew of the Anne time Jump to them arriving on Falinia, so that we can meet up with Georgia.

EDIT:
Lightening- I found this deleted scene clip from Firefly that describes the Captain of the Ship - Mal (he's a dude) by his battle buddie Zoe, that I think is a good description of maybe Andy, and the strong connection between two people that have seen hell together. It's a little long, but really describes how I see the situation and Andy. I don't see her as a commander in the wars, but affected the way it describes.Click
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:06:01 am by Peregrine »

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 09:39:16 am »
i loved the clip. and i think it gave me and anyone who watches it, a better impression of how you to view your character. btw, it wasn't long at all~

i'm really looking forward to this thread guys!

Pride

• flash point.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »
Looks like I'm up to bat. I'll work on a post this weekend.

Edit// Posted. Sorry for all the nonsense. If anything needs to be changed, please let me know.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:15:15 pm by Pride »