Paragraphite

Star of the Sea [Closed] Read 1861 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Star of the Sea [Closed]
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:17:21 pm »
Boots clacked against the paved road of the port. Merchants were peddling their wares, but they were not the good and decent wares that one would find in a city like Bella Roche, within the safety of the Rissian Empire. The woman had come from Bella Roche not long ago, though. Stowed away. Her days as a pirate were not so much behind her as they were not feasible.

She didn’t have a boat, for one.

It didn’t take the skip out of her step, not that day. Though The Gale was long gone, she at last had a lead on where she would find what she sought. Two years ago, The Star of the Sea had been in her Captain’s hands. Two years ago, her Captain had been shot, the Star lost, the Gale burned, and Trinity Marian one of the few survivors of that bloody day.

Today, the woman was at Mirah, far out of Rissian occupation, and well-loved by the villains who built it. Today, the woman did not look like a woman. The long, black hair she’d once had in a ponytail had been cut short. It was long enough to touch her shoulders and still held in a ponytail, but no longer the length she’d loved it. It was bleached blonde.

A band was wrapped tightly around her breasts to keep them from being noticeable under the button up shirt and vest. Her hat was not the same as in the past—no feather, a simple, round style. The boots had no heels, simple, brown. Her face carried a new scar, a diagonal line near the right eye—blue eyes, that she couldn’t change. Her hands were covered by gloves, slim fingers hidden beneath the bulk of the fabric.

No, she heard a rumor of where the Star was, but she wasn’t going to get there on her own. It was not here in Mirah, but a pirate was—an old ‘friend’ she hoped would not recognize her. It had been two years, after all. Trinity was hoping she had been on the list of the dead, or the believed dead. After all, Rhea had started a crew shortly after Captain Maria was killed. The survivors of Maria’s crew joined with Rhea. 

Trinity hadn’t joined. To this day, she still was not certain why.

Her steps finally took her to stand before the familiar vessel and she smiled, just a little. People were moving about it, on and off.
‘Are you leaving soon?’ She had to figure a way on the crew.

Q

• Drinking tea. ('cos that's what we do in England)
    • View Profile
Re: Star of the Sea [Closed]
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:55:48 pm »
Songs were sang loudly and incoherently, a piano played, the tune and keys well off chord and had been for many years by the sound of the clumsy clanging of the hammer and peddles. Drinks were poured, ale and rum mainly. Drink after drink after drink. Wenches squealed and giggled and flaunted their assets to anyone they decided seemed interested enough in their wares.

Seb wasn’t interested. Not at all. Not today. He was only interested in the rum and the vague numb feeling that was beginning to seem to soak into his very bones.

During the battle of the Star of the Seas, he had been aboard the Constantinople; one of the few ships which barely survived the pirate on pirate massacre.

He had hated every moment of it, knowing that his friends were aboard some of the other vessels. He hadn’t wanted to fight them, but orders were orders and rules were rules and the minute that the Con docked, he had told his old Captain where to shove his rules and his orders and had left.

He had been seeking employ ever since, moving from ship to ship; never really finding the right mix of crew and captain to appreciate.

He had lost many friends that day; some family too. The burden lay heavy in his mind; it darkened his attitude and his thoughts. He had spent many a day drowning himself in the company of dark liquor.

He got to his feet, swaying here and there a little with the amount he had consumed. He knew how he looked; a mess. Ruffled blonde hair, he knew was sticking up at odds and ends from where he’d repeatedly brushed it back in frustration. Brown eyes were dazed, red rimmed and unfocused from drink.

He cursed to himself as he made his way out of the tavern. He needed to feel the cool of the sea breeze on his face and the rays of the sun, and the ocean calling out to him, but he knew that he would never find employ, nor passage with a stomach full of naught but rum.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:23:43 pm »
“Hardock!”

Ah, that was a familiar name. The crew of the Black Fortune was loading food, clearly planning to set off soon.
“What is it?”

Laurent Hardock, son of the Captain, answered. Trinity easily recognized him. He dressed far better than most pirates, clean clothing, a long, blue coat with golden buckles, black boots and his feathered hat. Peacock. He was ridiculously vain about his fencing skills, rarely cursed, and could have been mistaken for a Lord’s son.

His father was not at all the same, though it seemed he had intentionally brought Laurent up with a sense of humility and decency. Perhaps he had hoped Laurent would pick another lifestyle. He didn’t.

To her knowledge, Captain Hardock was not dead, the man she used to call ‘Hardon’ to annoy him, to suggest he was whipped by Maria. She was still quite certain Maria and Hardock had been lovers, would almost bet that Laurent was their son. He had Maria’s green eyes and olive skin. 

She walked up the dock, to the wooden ramp, and onto the ship as Laurent had to answer some asinine question about where to put the rum. His eyes were alert, though. He saw her,
“Sir.”

‘Sir?’ Seriously, she did not look like a lord. She arched an eyebrow as Laurent approached, curious look on his face.

“Who are you and what business do you have aboard this vessel?”

This was how he talked. This was seriously how he talked.
“I’m lookin’ to be employed on it,” she had deepened her voice, practiced for days without breaking character. It almost seemed natural now. “You the captain?”

“No,” that meant Hardon was still alive. “My father is. He is not presently aboard the vessel, but he should be back soon if you wish to stay, or you may go check the taverns for him.” The Captain was nothing like his son. “We usually always need a few new hands. Sailors who have had their fill of the life tend to leave at port.” Laurent’s eyes looked over her, suddenly doubtful. For a boy, she looked almost malnourished. Certainly not strong. “What experiences do you have?”

“Ah, ten or so years aboard vessels. Been everything from a cabin boy to a first mate. I can do about any task on a ship ya need me for,”
she smiled. It was not a lie. She had been Maria's first mate.

She saw the flicker of confusion, of recognition, and let the smile fade quickly,
“I’ll go find your da’, though. See what he thinks.” She wouldn’t call him Captain Hardon. She wouldn’t call him Captain Hardon.

Laurent gave a polite nod,
“Very well, I understand,” he said. “Oh, I am Laurent Hardock. Your name, sir?”

“Knock off the sir stuff,”
she looked annoyed, “It’s Didymus. Just Didymus.” How many names had she had? “I’ll be back.”

She turned on heel and walked off the ship. Hardock was likely just drunk enough to accept a skinny thing like her. Off the ramp, and back to the port, she made a guess and turned towards it. Her sense of direction was typically fabulous.

It still didn’t prevent collisions. She walked right into drunken sailor, blond hair and brown eyes. She took a staggering step back, but reached out a hand to steady the other or keep him on his feet. There was a flicker of recognition, but she did not act on it,
“Ya ok, mate?” She was not Trinity. For now, she was Didymus.

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »
In all honesty, Sebastian had absolutely no idea where he was going, or why.

Why had he left the relative warmth of the tavern? Why had he left the known comfort of rum and noise and drunken idiots, flirting and drinking, whoring and gambling their meagre existences away? Trying to find either hope or despair at the bottom of their glasses.

He wasn’t even paying attention to where he was going when his body collided with another. He felt a hand on his chest, keeping him from falling flat on his face at least. He gave a small smile at that; one that didn’t at all ring true or reach his eyes.

His dazed gaze washed over the other person. Something about them looked…

He shook off the feeling, blinking it away. “Sorry.” He replied in a slur. “Shoulda watched where I was goin’.” It was the best reasoning his diluted mind could come up with. It was the best excuse he had.

He knew he was swaying, unsteady on his feet. Knew there was nothing but sleep and water that could do anything for him; and he wanted neither. He rather wanted oblivion.

He did try to step to one side, shoulder colliding with the tavern wall as he lost his footing. He knew how it must have looked to the other, and had it been the other way around, he was certain he would have just gone about on his merry way and continued onwards… wherever the stranger was going in such a hurry.
He didn’t mind sleeping here in the alley. It wouldn’t have been the first time.

Seb looked her way, shaking his head. He had to laugh at himself. “Don’ let a drunk like me get in yer way.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:54:30 pm »
He had decayed since the last time Trinity laid eyes on him. The years were not always kind to everyone. She had lost track of him some years ago, though her attention had narrowed dramatically over the years. Only three occupied her attention—Hardon, Rhea, and that bastard back in Bella Roche, the one who organized the chaos.

She grimaced as he leaned against the wall.
“Maybe ya can help me,” she said, “Ya look drunk enough,” was the accent bad? It sounded bad. Never mind. Pirates weren’t known for following rules well, even accent rules. “I’m looking for a man known as Captain Hardock,”  it was so difficult not to refer to him as ‘Hardon’. Seb would have gotten it. That meant she had to be especially cautious. “Ya seen him around? I want to join his crew.” She wondered if Seb still associated much with Hardock.

Hardock was an odd one. He took in both her and Sebastian. She’d had no prior experience. He tutored her, and made sure none of his crew ever thought to molest her. She was a couple of years older than his own son, and had been able to tutor Laurent in a few things. She had a noblewoman’s education before joining the crew, after all. She wasn’t sure what purpose it served, unless she continued with the theory that Hardock had hoped Laurent would leave this life behind.

Who ever truly left it behind, though?

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:50:28 pm »
He looked at the stranger oddly. It was almost as though some part of him recognised…

He shook it off again. It was the kind of feeling he knew well. The kind of feeling that many a self-confessed drunk would probably admit to… it was like seeing someone in a bar one time, and forgetting their name but not  their face. It was like having a good friend once, only for them to fade away with ever drink of rum consumed, washed away like the colour of his eyes under the infusion of alcohol in his system.

He shook his head at her. He hadn’t seen the pirate Captain, or if he had, there was no real recollection of it behind his eyes. He was past the point of being any real use to anyone, including the stranger.

He pointed in the direction he had come from. “Tavern’s that way.”

And right now he had half a mind to go back and finish what he had started, he was beginning to feel as though he had only done half a job of getting drunk beyond his means. He wanted not to be able to function. This being able to give even a hint of a direction was far too much function for him.

“I can show ya if ya like.” He suggested with a brief hiccup in between.

His shoulders were slumped and his whole body language suggested that he had all but given up any form of hope or sense of wanting anything but the bottom of a barrel and Davy Jones Locker.

Right now, his mental capacity wouldn’t even allow him to believe that he would recognise Hardon if he saw him.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 04:55:19 am »
‘Pull yourself together, damn it.’

Not that Trinity could say that. Slapping him as Didymus wouldn’t do any good. Instead, she offered her hand, her arm, out to him,
“Showin’ me would be better, mate. There’s a lot o’ buildings down that way, and I’m not familiar with the area.” The extended hand was in case he needed the help pulling away from the wall. He could lean on her. It wouldn’t be the first time, drunken fool. Still, she didn’t recall his habit ever being this bad.

Perhaps the tavern would have an inn. She could buy him a room or something, make sure he didn’t end up sleeping in the street, or passed out somewhere he could be robbed. It was the least she could do. That, or hope Hardock recognized him and decided to drag him along out of his queer since of mercy.

Or maybe it was sadism.

He had an odd perspective on things. 

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:10:27 pm »
Sebastian hadn’t always been this way. Once upon a time he had been a great pirate. He had loved his life and his work. His work was his life and vice versa, he loved every minute of working on a ship. He was one of those strange people who actually enjoyed all the hard work, all the toil. The work on the riggings and the deck and the hours lost at sea in the centre of a storm.

He hadn’t ever liked the politics which seemed to sweep in and take hold of many of the captains; especially when it concerned the star.

He hadn’t liked the idea that some of his friends had been on the ships he was meant to be shooting cannon balls at. He was ordered and bound by the duties he was so endearingly loyal to. He didn’t want to watch his friends, some of those he considered his family sink into the depths of the ocean, called down to the Locker.

The stranger did remind him of someone, he was certain he recognised the man; but again, no name would come to his lips, no memory to go with the sense of deja-vous. He took the offered hand, though he didn’t need it. He was surprisingly steady on his feet; the stranger’s questioning seeming to have sobered him a little. However, not so long ago, he had been told that ‘every good alcoholic soon learns to walk a straight line without complications’.

He guessed that time had come.

He didn’t speak as he walked the stranger straight back into the direction he had come from; straight back into the tavern. “This is where most of ‘em come.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 07:22:09 am »
Soon enough, Trinity was taken to the tavern. Sebastian seemed able to walk now. Upon entering the tavern, she was assaulted by the all-too familiar smells of alcohol and tobacco. Raucous laughter and arguments filled the air. There was a familiar voice among them, though, and her eyes soon landed on the man the voice belonged to. Burly, black-haired and blue-eyed, with some gray hairs now mixed into both hair and beard. “Hardock!” She called out.

“Eh?”
The man looked away from his present conversational partners, to where two stood near the door. He recognized one as Sebastian, but he didn’t recognize the other immediately. “Hold on, mates.” He knew it had been getting late anyway. He’d be expected back at the ship soon.

He approached the two, somehow expecting they both wanted his attention,
“Been awhile, Seb,” he greeted the one he knew, then looked to the other. “Who are ya?”

“Didymus,”
Trinity answered, “I’m lookin’ to join your crew. Your boy sent me to find ya. Seems like he wants to leave soon, too.” She answered him.

“That so? And why should I let ya join?”

“I have years of experience.”

“I’ve never heard of ya.”

“I have this,”
she took a paper out and held it up for him.

He snatched it away, opened it. The handwriting was familiar, and slowly a smile crept on his lips.
“Where’d ya get this, boy?”

“Bella Roche.”

“How’d ya get this?”

“The man’s wife caused him to leave his study. I snuck in and stole it.”

It was curious that such information would be brought to him. He’d not given up the quest for the Star, but information was limited. This was a good lead, and right from the Empire as well. The hand was Edward Luff’s, the bastard who set it all up all those years ago. He still couldn’t imagine why anyone would part with this information, suspected the boy wanted to steal the Star from him, if it were found, but didn’t have the means to go about getting the Star on their own.

‘Well, ‘e can try.’ “Welcome aboard then, lad.”
Hardock said.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:09:27 pm by Krystal Itzume »

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 02:27:31 pm »
Walking back into the tavern was almost like walking back into home for Sebastian. He had spent many of his days since the war for the star in this place; trying to forget the memories of sinking ships full of friends.
Hardock greeted him familiarly. He was rather surprised to be recognised by the man through the stench of self-deprivation and rum he’d surrounded himself with. He was also quite pleased when the attention was drawn away from him to the other man; the stranger.

‘What an odd name.’ He thought to himself as Diddymus introduced himself to Hardock, asking for a place on his ship.

For a moment, Sebastian considered the half-hearted notion of asking to also join the older man’s crew. Maybe he’d take him on for nothing more than old time’s sake.

But he quickly reminded himself mentally of the current state he was in; how much rum it had taken to get him here.

So he remained silent; glad that he had when Diddymus pulled out parchment and Hardock grabbed it.
Seb was sure that he immediately went pale. He recognised the parchment. ‘No… not again.’ He wouldn’t get involved in the search for the star again; it had already cost too many lives, including that of his once best friend.

He stepped away from the conversation, torn between heading to the bar and stepping out the door.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 07:24:25 pm »
Captain Henry Hardock folded the paper up as Sebastian stepped away. He knew the man had been part of the fight for the Star, not on his side. ‘There were no sides.’ Well, none official. He knew why Rhea didn’t come and join his crew. He’d fled, in the end. He left many to die, to protect his own.

It had been Maria’s dream to have that Star, all her life. No one else had believed in it, and then she found it. She should have expected the hell that followed.
‘And now I have another chance.’ If this bit of paper was correct. He’d have to move fast to get there before Edward. Perhaps he could ask a friend or two to go bother the bastard.

As he considered that, he stepped to where Sebastian had backed up to,
“Ya look like shit,” he commented, not a lie. The man looked like he was half-way in the Locker already. “Come with me, mate. I need someone dependable on the crew again, too many pirates jump ship at ports nowadays. Too dangerous,” he mocked. It was, of course. The Empire was getting tougher on piracy crimes. “You ain’t gonna jump, are ya, Diddy?”

Trinity frowned at the shortening of her name,
“No, Hardock.” ‘Hardon.’ All of her willpower was strained not to retort.