News: 
Paragraphite

Fortiden [closed] Read 6451 times

Pach_Work

• prone to imagination spasms
    • View Profile
Re: Fortiden [closed]
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 07:01:03 am »
“Half an hour?” Juliette’s head turned towards the angel after she answered. The time surprised her, although she wasn’t sure if it was because that sounded like a long time or a short time. She let her hand, which was formed into a point; stretch out so that she could see the stars between the spaces of her fingers. They seemed so small, but something told her they were much larger than they appeared to her. Astronomy had never been something she studied much of, although she’d always had the time. Perhaps when this was over, she would spend more time studying new things.

Amina was very logical in the way that she spoke. Juliette almost found it amusing, and she let her hand fall and slid it under her head, propping cheek against her folded arm to roll and look the angel’s way. At the question, Juliette almost fell back into a form of her previous depression. She looked at the ground, tracing the tip of her finger over the blades of grass around her. “The reason I’m here is the same reason I am a vampire.” Juliette’s eyes absorbed the color of the flames, their reflection barely moving in them.

“I have faced this evil once before.” Her fingers stopped, hand flat in the grass now. Juliette was afraid to look away from the fire, afraid she would see his face once again in the darkness around them. “I know what it is capable of.” Truly it was stemmed from Hell. And that must have been why Amina had been included. It only settled in what Juliette already knew.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 06:40:51 pm »
Amina had to get better at picking things to ask. It seemed this subject touched on one close to home. “Ah,” the vampire issue. She did not ask for specifics, though she did wonder at how it was phrased.

Lust? Juliette was here because of lust? That made no sense. Perhaps the same man was involved, though. Well, that would make Amina’s later hunt easier. If he wanted to be an open supporter of this evil, he’d be cut down alongside it. Poor fool.
“Why is it that your kind choose to behave as they do?” Amina couldn’t imagine that none of them had considered animals as a source of food. If it were as simple as that in cases, Amina might quit this world in depression.

No, the others she had encountered had always seemed malevolent or hungry—not blood hungry, but power hungry. They had always been intelligent, though. Certainly they could reason out the animal thing themselves. Perhaps Juliette had some insight into why this vampiric nature could cause that to happen in others. 

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:48 pm »
Same reason. If not the same man, then the same evil that had infected him along with many others he had bitten- Juliette included. She still felt that evil intent within her. As a human she had been plenty flawed, sinned many times to the point that it had gotten her here as punishment, but never had she thought the things she did as a vampire. It disturbed her how cunning and violent her brain could be in this form. Juliette wondered what the true answer to Amina’s question was. She was quiet for a long moment, then replied,

“I can only speak for myself but…” She tried to find a way to explain it so that the angel would understand, “You know that humans sin with free will. God gave us -them- the choice over obligation to obey and love him…so…with human nature, it is hard not to put oneself first.” She paused, gathering her thoughts. It was difficult for her not to refer to herself as a human anymore. Her thoughts were flustered, and she felt as if she were being too obvious, “I guess what I am trying to explain is that in this form it is harder to feel guilt. Sinning freely seemed so effortless as a human, you make excuses, and say it is human nature…”

The vampire watched the angel through the flames, they flickered brightly over Amina’s face, “When I  know it is impossible to be forgiven for that sin,” The words came out sadly this time, as if she were finally realizing it were true, “I suppose it is just easier to be a monster, because that is how I have always survived in this form. I have never known another way until you showed me.” She wondered idly if any other vampires had discovered the method of feeding from animals. “If God no longer wanted anything to do with you, would you not feel as if you should just abide by your own true instinct?” It wouldn’t be a logical question for Amina; it was more hypothetical, rhetorical even. The angel didn’t feel human emotion, nor had she experienced temptation.

Juliette smiled sadly, “When I was reborn as a vampire, it was human blood I needed, like a baby needs its mother’s breast milk. I craved it because it was the only thing I know would satisfy. And the thirst was so untamable; I didn’t feel my body killing until I was satisfied. To change a craving takes control, probably years of feeding off other than humans.” She twirled the tail end of her long braid, “I suppose it is similar to why a baby feeds from a bottle with a nipple, it would not know how to feed if you handed it a mug and said drink.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 01:05:40 am »
Humans were selfish creatures. This, Amina knew too well. That did not mean they were inherently evil creatures, but it did make living a good life difficult for them. Thus the reward was all the sweeter for those who could manage it. The way Juliette put it did make sense, and yet it also did not.

From one perspective, Amina could see how one would sin and be hedonistic if there was no hope of forgiveness, but on the other hand, Amina couldn’t see how it was justified to cause harm to others. There seemed to be a greater reward in this life for doing good, and if this life was all one had to enjoy, if the afterlife was damnation, that seemed like the best route still. To do good. To be good.

The question posed was nonsense, if only because it would never happen. Amina’s only instinct was to follow His will. She would do as commanded to better this world. The examples and lengthy explanation at least helped her to understand,
“I see,” she said at last and nodded. “Perhaps that is so. If punishment is all that awaits, then there is little reason to not engage in the acts that are condemning,” it still confused her, and that showed in the baffled smile that graced her lips as she shook her head. “I do not really understand.” Not in the way Juliette did, “But thank you.” 

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 12:17:45 am »
Juliette nodded, “I wish I knew a better way to explain.” She said, “It is hard to describe a feeling to someone who has  not experienced the same feeling.” The vampire admired the stars for a little longer, her mind stirring around everything she’d mentioned. It was not ever something she discussed, or was asked about. People feared what they did not know, so why bother to understand? Amina did not fear Juliette, however, and that was a comfortable change.

“I know it is terrible…” She said, thinking on it more, “If we were humans once before…then again I suppose it would never be justified no matter what you are. But I know for a while I felt as if God were punishing me.” Juliette didn’t argue with God. She thought she deserved the punishment, “If one were feeling undeserving of a punishment, they act out in anger- and as a newborn vampire, it is easy to do so.” Her eyes fell and she rolled to lie on her back again, sighing, “I don’t know. I just want to be good. I know how to, I just can’t make any more mistakes” It was hard to prevent the tears from welling up again, but Juliette blinked them away.

“Sorry for rambling.” She had never seen the angel sleep, and didn’t know if it were even possible. She just didn’t want to bore Amina. It was strange to imagine such a being that looked so human not having human tendencies, “I never get to talk to anyone about things like this…”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »
Amina did let a smile cross her lips at Juliette’s words, “Do not worry. Most you will ever have to explain it to will have some sense of understanding,” she noted, “This is good practice.” Certainly there would come a time when Juliette would be more open with others, others who could understand and either hate her or sympathize with her.

Juliette tried to explain, but did not justify. Not truly.
“Job,” was the one word answer Amina offered. Poor Job, who did nothing wrong, but was cast out of God’s favor because the then-angel Samael, now Lucifer or Satan, wanted to challenge God’s favoritism. Samael was, naturally, proven wrong.

‘Or was he?’

Even Amina could remember how Samael claimed God cheated. God went to Job, spoke to God. Had He remained silent longer, Samael contended, Job would have turned away. Samael was never satisfied, though.
“You may ramble as you like,” Amina offered, “It is better than a night of silence,” oddly enough, she meant it. The world was rather boring at night. Rarely did anything interesting happen, and that was usually reserved for when they rested in towns. 

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:56 pm »
It was the first time Juliette remembered seeing Amina smile at her; perhaps because before the angel had not thought of her like she did now. Juliette smiled back and slowly sat up, knees bending. She smoothed her dress over her knees and pulled them to her chest. “Yes, practice. That’s true.” She nodded in agreement.

“You are a good listener Amina,” Juliette offered, “Thank you.” It may not have seemed like much to the angel, but to Juliette, it meant more than it would to most. “I never had any sisters, but if I did I would imagine it like this.” Her smile broadened a tiny bit. “If you were to ever need someone to confide in,” The vampire’s metallic eyes moved from the fire, alight now, “You would just speak to God, yes?” She looked up to the sky, “I don’t know if he wants to hear me.” Juliette still had so many questions, but she was afraid to ask. God loved all his creatures, didn’t he? Even the ones who turned away from Him, He loved despite their actions.

She was afraid to ask if He still loved her.

Amina said her rambling was better than the silence, and Juliette wasn’t sure if she agreed. She enjoyed having someone to confide in, but she wondered if without silence, she would be able to hear the important. “Angels do not have siblings, do they?” Juliette wondered out loud, looking back to Amina, “I have always been curious about them, but everything I know is from stories that people told me. Of angels protecting them.” 

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:30 pm »
“You’re welcome,” Amina answered. Listening was an easy skill, really, or perhaps angels just had more practice with it than most. She started to suggest something about family, and Amina noted the way she answered her own question.

‘Yes.’ Those who sought out the confidence of angels or others tended to be trying to hide from God. Not always, but most times. Even so, angels did share with each other, and among them there were niche groups, those with whom they were closer.

“I consider the Host my siblings. We are all His creations, and He is our Father,”
Amina answered. There was no Mother, of course, God served both functions but ‘Father’ was the preferred term by the Host. “Many angels serve here to protect humanity. They are known as Grigori,” the Watchers. They were also the most susceptible to falling. Within this world, they were mostly invisible, or else they looked far more human than Amina, without wings and with normal features. Their forms were fluid—energy, which shifted to fit their needs. “They are the most numerous of the Host.” New ones were always crafted as the population grew.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 10:04:26 am »
Amina was direct, and Juliette was starting to recognize this. She smiled as the angel spoke of the Host as her siblings. The vampire did not know much about Heaven, just that she had hoped to one day go there. She wasn’t so sure that was a part of her future anymore. She wasn’t sure if she would ever die now that she was in this form. Trapped into living forever. Still, it was interesting to hear Amina talk about such things.

Juliette thought of her own brothers, each of them by name. She smiled as their faces popped into her mind. She remembered them so well, each of their distinct freckles that she used to share in resemblance. Hers were now gone, faded into the pale porcelain of her skin. Hugh was the oldest brother, then Theodore, Luke, and Thomas, the youngest of the boys and three years older than Juliette. Out of five children, she had been the smallest, most delicate, most precious, and she had been the one to turn on them.

“My brothers were kind of like guardian angels.” She smiled, looking away from the stars to Amina, “They looked after me, and never let me have any fun.” The vampire chuckled. She missed them so much. “They were always worried I’d get myself into trouble. But the more they protected me, the more I wanted to be…unprotected.” Juliette shrugged, “What I wouldn’t give to have that again.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:28 pm »
“Mortals,” as if this applied universally to all sorts, “always want what they do not have.” They were never pleased with what was available to them. They were so difficult to please for any substantial period of time. Amina did wonder at that.

It was made to show that Juliette was not unique in her desires. Her mistake was one many humans would and did make.
“Tell me about them,” Amina made the offer open. “Tell me about your siblings and your family, before all of this.” She imagined the vampire reflected on it often in her lonesome, but did not have much opportunity to truly speak of what once was. No doubt, the guilt of killing them played into it.

‘Tell me what you had and what you miss.’

It would be impossible to restore things to how they once were, but the book of Job had a happy ending. Juliette’s story could end well, too.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 12:15:07 am »
Juliette smiled at the angel’s comment, nodding in agreement, “Immortals, as well.” She said, thinking of the very vampire that’d turned her. She had seen the lust for power in his eyes. It had been paralyzing. It was very true how much she wanted her old life back. The vampire looked to Amina through the flames again as she mentioned her siblings again. Juliette really had not spoken of them since the incident. There was no one to talk to them about. It would hurt to speak their names, the vampire could already feel the lump in her throat.

“Well,” She said, swallowing it down, ’Don’t cry, remember them pleasantly,’ Juliette watched the flames now, instead of the angel,

“My mother was beautiful, even though she was quite older when I was born. My oldest brother was twelve at the time." The vampire cupped her cheek in her hand, “She coddled me,” Juliette’s voice was unpleasant, she even scoffed a little, though a smile still seemed to tug at her lips, “I took on illnesses easily, I was quite a delicate child, so I stayed inside most of the time. My brothers were only to play with me inside. But they liked to tell me stories and act them out.” A soft chuckle escaped her lips.“Hugh was the oldest, the best narrator, and Theodore and Luke would play the hero or villain, then little Thomas always got stuck playing the horse, or the damsel.” Her smile widened as the flames danced as the boys, acting out the parts of her favorite stories, “If I wasn’t ill, I would get to be the princess. A lot of times I just watched, though.”

She was silent for a few moments, and then continued, “Hugh really was a talented storyteller. He captivated me with his imagination, and I always envied his characters in his stories.” There had been many stories. Sometimes they had just been for her, when she would sit in his lap by their fireplace, the other boys would be off playing together. “Theodore and Luke were closest in age, they were a year and a half apart. They often teased Thomas; he was the youngest brother, only three years before me. Those two could be so mean sometimes. They were always in their own world and getting into trouble. My mother blamed my father for their mischief.” Another soft chuckle, “Papa was just like that when he was young.”

“We all had my mother’s freckles, and father’s hair.” Her eyes focused through the flames on the angel again, and she smiled, “I miss them.” She said quietly, “We all looked so much alike, when I see my reflection I see all of them at once instead of myself.” How could she have been so blinded by her thirst back then? It was hard to forget them even for a second now.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:36:55 am by Pach_Work »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 02:35:00 am »
‘Immortals too?’ Of course, Amina did not consider vampires or the fair folk to be as immortal as herself. However, as she considered it, it was true. Except, of course, she had Heaven and the Presence. Just not at this moment. She was only temporarily inconvenienced, but she knew where to go to feel at home again.

Amina listened in silence. It was the one thing she knew how to do—let others talk. She could listen for days. She had listened for days. Her mind memorized the names. She took in the details about them, the storyteller and the actors, the young and the old. How old had they been when she attacked?
‘Did they all still live together?’

Juliette was the princess though. Of course. The boys were like their father. They all looked alike. Human genetics were truly fascinating. The host had its variety in looks, no two angels looked alike, but there were some norms. Blond hair and ivory skin were typical, with the blond varying from silver to gold. There were those who stood out, but on the whole, He liked his bright angelic design.

As she felt the look through the fire, she stepped closer to Juliette. She took a seat besides her,
“Tell me one of the stories.” Good memories. Memories that would keep Juliette missing them, but memories to bring about humanity, love, and longing for the good. Memories to keep her rooted. Imagination and story-telling were tools humans used to teach morals, to live vicariously through characters, such that they might not need to learn through experience.

Stories. Stories had power, and Amina wanted to hear what Juliette grew up with, what her brothers had tailored for her, so that she might remember what she had liked, and what she had dreamed.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 01:36:30 am »
All she had ever been able to recall from her life before vampirism began to come up in passionate and colorful fairy tales that had once been told by older brothers. Even the ones from her earliest childhood memories were still so vivid in her mind. Juliette told the good, the bad and the ridiculous tales of her eldest brother’s imagination. In a way each story was something she could replace the horrid memories from each time she fed from humans.

“Hugh had a wild imagination, and the boys were so silly, I can still see Luke’s pathetic puppy dog impression because I begged him for a sidekick.” Juliette could hardly believe she had gone from a frail child to a disobedient maiden to a vicious monster in her entire lifetime. It was becoming clear to her the more she spoke to Amina.

The vampire smiled warmly at her, “I am glad you also don't sleep.” She said, wondering if Amina was even interested in these stories or if she just had nothing better to do. “Tell me about your siblings.” Juliette was curious about the angels, “Are you all so…honest?” A soft chuckle escaped her lips, and she quieted herself when she saw one of the others stir, cupping her hand over her mouth. “Oops.” She whispered, shrugging her shoulders with a guilty smile.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 02:49:14 pm »
Amina did listen. It wasn’t only that she had nothing better to do, though that did play a role. Storytelling interested her. There wasn’t much of it in Heaven. At least, nothing false. Honesty was an obstacle to imagination.

Hugh did have a fantastic imagination. It was confusing. Humans were given such capabilities to create such fantastic thoughts, and this was the world they lived in. She smiled at Juliette’s words about puppy dog eyes. It was returned to her, with a comment about sleep, and a request. Before Amina could speak, someone stirred. She looked up at the sky. Not quite dawn yet, but she would not have time to talk much,
“Most of us are so honest,” Amina answered, “Lying is viewed as the worst of all sins.” From a lie came all the others. From a lie sprung all sin. “Those who lie usually only do so to the races of the earth or the fallen.” Not that it made it better in Amina’s opinion. “My siblings…well, they are too numerous to speak of, even with an eternity, but there are those I am closer to than others. Michael, Cheriour, Gabrielle, Amatiel, and Azrael to name them.”

She knew at least two of those names were generally familiar to humans. Michael and Gabrielle were not often given dirt duty, but when they were, they were remembered. Cheriour was one that was often wished to be forgotten—he was vicious. He was sent to hunt demons that dared make themselves physical on earth, and a better warrior than her. Michael might be his only rival in that regard. She spoke of them, then, their traits, of Michael’s curious empathy and love of mortals, particularly of his overprotective nature with children. Her tone held great reverence for him, for he was the only one capable of questioning Father's decisions.

She spoke of Cheriour and how he did lie, and how he did have a bit of a twisted imagination. Gabrielle and she believed it from his interactions with demons. Gabrielle was the coldest in heaven. She was a messenger, but also the Angel of Death. Needless to say, it was a thankless job. Azrael shared the burden with Gabrielle. Amatiel then was one of the great healers in Heaven, just under Raphael himself.

“And Azrael somehow managed to adopt a cat,”
a bemused grin as she shook her head, recalling the strange creature with the split tails, “I still am not certain how he convinced Father to allow such a thing, but he has a cat.” Perhaps it wasn’t so strange. Gabrielle had a horse. Those of death seemed to want something living around them.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 09:04:10 am »
(I must have been half asleep when I wrote and posted this...so many problems ^^; all fixed now)

Juliette nodded as Amina reminded her of dishonesty as a sin. The worst of them, apparently. She had never known one sin to be the worst. If she were to rank them murder would certainly be over dishonesty. But then again, Juliette had only been mortal until a year ago, and even still she still didn’t understand things about Heaven or God. Angels certainly were an enigma. They used to be left up to her imagination. As a child, she pictured winged babies, cherubs with bare bottoms and bows and arrows. Amina lived up to what she had grown to picture an angel.

As she had gotten older she pictured incandescent bodies of purity, just like Amina. Beautiful as if made of light. Amina was even more beautiful when Juliette could finally see her smile back. She almost giggled at the mention of all of the angel’s heavenly siblings. Juliette had thought four brothers were plenty, but Amina seemed to have hundreds.

“What beautiful names.” She noted softly, leaning her head against her propped arm, eyes absorbing the gold light of the fire. She couldn’t help but burst into laughter when Amina mentioned the cat. She immediately hushed herself with her hand, covering her mouth, “I’m sorry, I have just never imagined such stories.” She grinned at Amina, she had never thought the angel could make her laugh yet here she was holding her hand over her mouth trying to quiet herself. “But your Father loves His own creatures. Why would he not allow one to be a pet?” Juliette couldn’t hold back more giggles, but they were quieter.

After a few moments of the pair sharing stories, Juliette glanced in the direction of the horizon. The group was on the mountain now, and the view off the side of the ledge they rested on was quite beautiful. She would need to wake the Wizard soon. The beginning of light could just barely be seen peeking. If it got too high, she would burn.

She wondered what Heaven would be if she were allowed to go there. Juliette thought about asking Amina that question, but a part of her wanted it to be a mystery. The vampire smiled to herself and pulled her legs close. “I envy those who believe so surely…what a great way to live, without fear.” She turned to Amina. Now that her time on earth was permanent, she wasn’t sure how to even please herself, no less a God in Heaven. What would she do with herself after this? There was much she needed to figure out.

“What did Azrael decide to name his pet cat?” She said after a brief pause, her smile kind as she imagined an angelic white cat equipped with everything from a halo to small angel wings. Another soft chuckle escaped as she did, and immediately her hand covered her mouth again, "I'm going to wake everyone up."

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:10:25 pm by Pach_Work »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 09:15:29 pm »
The cat story amused the vampire. Amina could agree with the sentiment. The cat was odd. It was not like the horse. It had no purpose. Her question was curious, but showed her lack of understanding. All in heaven found the cat. None here would think it so. “He does,” Amina said, “But He has a place for all. A cat is not a pet of an angel. They are of a different substances and are not capable of living as we do.”

How did she explain? Cats did go to heaven—all animals did, for they did not have the reasoning capabilities to sin. Azrael’s cat was alive, though, not soul but flesh and blood.
“It had to have its very substance changed to be a pet of an angel, and it had to consent to it.” The cat did look different than how it had looked before. The split tails was the main thing, but its fur seemed more purple than black now, too.

“Azrael calls it by the name his mother gave it.”
Angels, of course, were linguists. It was a ‘meow’ that escaped her when she named it, translated, “Loosely, ‘twin’ for its tail—its tail was split in two when Azrael found it. Something it was born with.”

Humans named their creatures other things, because they could not understand the language. Amina had come to accept that. She stood, nodded, to allow the vampire to begin waking the others. It was time for another day of travel.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 11:59:05 pm »
In the daylight hours of their journey the seven of them would remain a unit until a cluster of civilization was reached. Then, they would split up. Juliette tended to search for shelter; she had no errands to run for supplies. This stop was the first in a while for the group, and there was plenty the others needed in case the next trip was just as lengthy. Juliette had taken to Amina’s idea of hunting animals when her thirst revisited her.

Juliette studied the faces of people she passed, some downcast, some freckled and dirty, some twisted with old age. She felt gazes that weren’t there, paranoia that slowly took over during her withdrawals. Not yet had the vampire become accustomed to these side effects. She clutched her hands into fists and hurried through the streets to the inn she had reserved rooms at. The downstairs was lively, and the first thing she had seen was the crashing of a ceramic mug against a human skull.

Her eyes grew as she realized the drunken skirmish had waited for her to enter at that exact moment, and immediately her eyes were attracted to the oozing liquid that leaked from a gash behind the targeted man’s ear. The scent and color found her immediately. Juliette stood frozen while the bleeder threw misfired punches at his attacker. Action went on all around the vampire, but she could not help but to admire the rich color and luster that now spilled down the rowdy man’s neck.

The attacker now bled too, his teeth had been spat onto the floor, and Juliette’s eyes followed them like a playful feline’s followed it’s prey. Her thoughts resembled a toddler’s to a shiny object. Nothing could curb her desire to touch its liquid finery until…

Juliette was gently shoved as another fellow made his way out. Immediately, she let out a desperate whimper when she realized her state. She had to get away from here.

The scent put her in a lightweight trance, but not so that she was woozy or clumsy. No, when her molars grew like this, and her body responded to its instinct, its movements were planned by pure sense alone. Juliette used her remaining integrity to tear herself out of the inn. She ran into the first crook of shadows she could find, the woods surrounding the back of the building.

The vampire sat against a tree trunk and gripped the sides of her head, unable to shake away evil thoughts that passed through her mind. Flashes of the droplets on the floor, the nearly black color of clotting beneath a man’s nostril, stained lips from ragged punches thrown. It was like quiet noise. She couldn’t close her eyes because then it would become more vivid. Juliette had not realized how heavy her breathing had become. It was odd how human routines stayed with her body even after her transcendence into the undead.

“Now you will always be a parasite like me, existing off human blood. You will live out your days with an undying and ravenous thirst. No matter how much blood you manage to consume, you will never be satisfied. This, I promise to you, sweet Juliette.”

These words echoed in a sigh near her ear, and she could practically feel the wet, phantom sensation of her own blood meet her skin along with the icy hand that gripped her neck. The voice she had heard during the most excruciating moment of her death would forever tantalize her; the thirst triggering his devious whisper, which now haunted her.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 04:23:11 am »
Amina liked civilization better than the wilderness for one reason, and one reason only: churches.

He had made them His home, and His dwelling. Of course, all was His, but Amina felt Him most obviously in those places where His believers met to worship. Of course, her group never seemed to arrive on days of worship, and they certainly never stayed. They had things to do, and things to do quickly.

Even so, Amina always tried to pay them a visit. The buildings solidified her.

It wasn’t often that someone was waiting for her, though.

“Mon Chere?” It rolled off the tongue with ease as she saw the armored angel standing in a beam of sunlight, eyes up. He shifted his posture, fiery hair catching and shining in the light. He tried to hide his own amusement.

“Oh, you’re starting that now? I thought that was only Azrael.”

Amina paused where she stood, as if his words had been an order. She reconsidered, and bowed her head. Cheriour was her direct superior, right under Michael.
“My apologies, Cheriour, I meant no offense.”

He shakes his head and steps out of the light.
“I know,” he answered coolly. “I wanted a progress report, but I suspect there is none.”

Amina shakes her head, keeping her eyes down.
“No. We are still chasing it.”

“And the group?”

“It remains in tact and on course.”

Had Amina looked up, she might have noticed his disapproving frown. As it was, she didn’t.
“I see.” His tone caused her to lift her gaze, a quizzical expression. He waved his hand dismissively. “You ought to return. I suspect there is quite a bit more your group needs to learn about its opponent.”

“And have you word? What does Father say?”

Cheriour smiled, a beatific thing that seemed to cause him to glow.
“He sends His love, as always. I have no word, I merely thought to check in. I am worried. He is worried,” he confesses. “You have never spent so long a time among mortals. It changes some of us, Amina.”

“I will never stray, Cheriour.”
She knows what he is referring to.

A cautious nod,
“I hope that is so. He does have plans for you, once this is done.” Amina brightens, quite literally. Cheriour smirks, “Yes, exactly. Hurry up.” Wings extend. The angel vanishes from her presence, and she is left in the silent church, brimming with hope.

She turns, exits, thinks the news ought to be shared. Usually, it would be shared with another angel, but there is not one. She considers Juliette instead; the woman seemed to like hearing stories.

Of course, when she saw Juliette, the woman was bolting from an inn. There was the sound of violence.
‘You better not have.’

Amina regretted her first thought when she walked in and had a cup thrown in her face, a misfire. It broke, and she lifted her hand to where it touched as the room went still. It was quite obvious what she was from the wings and the glow that still remained around her. That glow faded though as she drew her hand away from her face to see. Nothing but the liquid within the cup.
‘It would take more than that to break the skin.’

“Everyone, sit down.”

Oh, authority.

People scrambled into seats.
“You will all stay here, like this, until I return." She ordered. None moved. She took that to mean they would heed her as she turned on her heel and walked out to find where Juliette had run off to. She went towards the forest, and then began her search. 'Now I reek of alcohol.' It was not a good scent, either.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 03:18:35 am »
Juliette felt her hands come up and touch her neck; the phantom grip was gone, now a figment that mocked her. She removed them and looked down to the open palms, half-expecting to see them covered in blood. They shook in fear, although the first time she had looked down and seen them stained ruby, her hands had trembled instead with longing. She could still smell it, the blood from the skirmish inside.

She curled into herself and clutched her head in her hands, as if the blood were a voice screaming in shrill tones. If she would just submit, drown into the temptation her molars craved. It was a hold that required no touch, but oh, was it dragging her.

The vampire did not look when Amina found her; she remained closed and ashamed. The body she lived in now was strong, but Juliette in this moment could not have been more fragile. Would she forever live on her knees like this? Her voice was barely audible within the cushion of her clothing.

“I didn’t feed.”

She could feel the angel there, and was unsure of Amina’s feelings for now. Juliette hadn’t even been wanting until she’d seen the blood. Her thirst had been slaked for quite some time since her most recent meal. There was something about the fragrance and taste of a human that made her wild. Juliette cautiously lifted her head to see the winged one there.

“I swear…”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 03:42:18 am »
The vampiress was a wisp of a girl, a child, in that moment. Amina heard something muffled, but could not make it out. She walked forward and crouched down in front of the woman as she spoke two words with an uplifted head.

‘Ah.’

Amina gave meaning to the muffled words of earlier.
“I know that.” Amina said. “I thought you had when I saw your blur,” she confessed it as she folded her arms over her knees, perched as she was. The feathers brushed the ground in this position, a feeling Amina had decided she would never get used to.

No boasting now. Perhaps that was good. Angels weren’t supposed to boast or be proud. To tell a mortal she would have more jobs from Him would be that, wouldn’t it?

She had to focus on the job now.
“You ran because there was blood. Am I correct?” She was trying to understand this hunger. She had seen blood when she entered the bar, after the cup found its way to the floor after hitting her. Amina bit the inside of her cheek, then said, “It is difficult, from what I hear, to overcome addictions. The human, and so the vampire, form is weak to temptations.” That was the challenge of the mortal condition that angels did not share. Humans were weak when it came to such things. “It gets better.” Or so she’d heard.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 04:49:42 am »
Part of Juliette was apprehensive to tell Amina what she felt. The angel had been absolute the first time she had caught her with the intention to feed. Although she had ended up aiding the vampire and showing her alternate ways, Amina did not feel the everlasting tug that Juliette could even at the sight of something as small as a human bruise. But Juliette also had no one else to confide in when it came to the addiction she suffered from.

The angel admitted that she had thought the worst. It was not unusual, and Juliette had little, if not less faith in her instincts than Amina may have that moment. Her head had been in such frenzy that somewhere outside of her right mind, she had expected to see and feel the blood coating her hands and neck.

But it wasn’t.

If she had fed, would the angel have eliminated her? Relief flooded through Juliette at that moment, when she looked up to the winged form that was squatting in front of her. The powerful creature she was, with weapons in her very anatomy, yet she felt so small and childlike before the angel.

Would it really get better?

The vampire couldn’t realize it now, with the tormenting voice of her sire in her head, but it already was gradually getting better. She nodded in response to the encouragement, the only form of hope she had.

An angel indeed, Amina seemed to have appeared in the right moment. Despite her lack of complete understanding, she had managed to comfort Juliette. Was this acceptable to God? That, Juliette did not know.

“I believe you.” She said, shoulders relaxing somewhat before she looked down at her still trembling, bare hands. “I have to.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 04:57:29 am »
Amina shook her head, “You do not have to.” No, free will. Juliette did not have to believe anything. She could even deny Amina’s deity if she saw fit, despite the proof that Amina brought of him by her mere existence.

She offered her hand out to Juliette,
“Come with me, and do not let go of my hand.” She told her.

Exposure was one way that she’d heard people dealt with fears. Juliette couldn’t always run away from the sight of blood.
“I have to deal with the mess of that fight.” She wasn’t sure what she planned to do, not even then, but she had implied that she would return to them. If nothing else, she would at least allow them to move freely once more. “And you will come with me and try to gather strength. Then, you shall feed.” They could easily acquire an animal here in town, or out in the wood—whatever was necessary, it would be found. “I won’t let go of your hand,” she added, a promise.

Juliette would be safe, even from herself.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2014, 05:36:42 am »
Juliette hesitated, but did take Amina’s hand. She did have to, if she didn’t she would just curl back up into herself. If she didn’t have hope, she’d become a demon again. She stood and nodded as the angel led them back to the inn. As they came closer, the vampire stopped.

“Amina...” Her golden eyes were concerned, brows knit in the center of her forehead. She didn’t trust herself the more potent the scent became. But the angel still was insistent; her words had been a command. Running from the blood would give it more control over her.

Her physical hesitation faded and she didn’t bother to explain why she’d stopped. They would go back inside and she would face the temptation. She reminded herself that Amina was beside her, the angel’s hand clasping her own. She hadn’t let go, just as she’d said.

But she remained unsure. Fear and temptation, did they go hand and hand? Was exposure to an addiction the same as exposure to a fear? The vampire remained in the angel’s shadow. It was not the blood that she was afraid of; it was her reaction to seeing it again.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2014, 05:47:07 am »
‘Trust me.’

Amina did not wish to convey that with words. She paused when her name was called and looked back at Juliette, awaiting more words. None came. Amina slowly turned her attention back to inn and led Juliette inside.

Her hand squeezed Juliette’s, even under the strange looks they received. Amina ignored them all, doing a mental tally to ensure all were here. She moved slow, her attention torn between the people in the bar and Juliette. There was still blood in the room. Her body was tense, her mind thinking this might have been a good idea.
“What was the cause of this fight?” She demanded of those present.

It could be something as stupid as a drunken exchange, but it was those stupid, ignorant things that led so many to destruction. She would see that none here forgot that.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2014, 06:26:56 am »
Her hand clutched Amina’s as if it were dangling her over a pit of flames. Juliette could feel her body start to tremble when they entered the room again. The scent nearly knocked her down. She brought her free hand to her mouth, touching her lips subconsciously. Her fingers ran over where the sensation of blood usually lingered during her feeding.

“You’re already breaking.”

Juliette closed her eyes as she took in the lustrous aroma. It was stronger than even the smell of alcohol to her. Her molars ached to be drenched in the luxurious fluid. She swallowed dryly.

The angel, demanding to know what the cause of the fight was, broke the silence in the room. It didn’t seem anyone would own up right away, but someone spoke up,

“Them.”

A finger was pointed towards the men from earlier, one bleeding from behind the ear. Juliette’s eyes centered on the red streams that stained his neck; she could hear every heartbeat in the room, pulsing blood through their human veins. It was delightfully intoxicating. Each person was a goblet waiting to be drunk from.

No one explained what happened, they all seemed afraid, or perhaps in awe of the angel standing there. If they had known what Juliette was, they would surely be afraid. To them it was quiet, but Juliette was deafened by the screams of enticement. She pointed to the man with the blood, finger trembling.

“Someone hit him.” She said, looking to see the cup from earlier on the floor. The vampire couldn’t remember who else had been involved. She had been too thirsty.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 07:20:49 pm »
Silence could be unnerving. Amina knew this, and she waited with a cold stare on her face until there was an answer. Her hand remained clasped around Juliette’s, feeling the muscles there, feeling for reactions through the rest of her body without looking. She knew it had to be difficult, even if she did not know the experience itself.

Finally, someone spoke, and identified the fighters. Juliette added on, identifying one who was hit. Amina fixed her gaze on the one who struck the blow.
“He insulted me!” Indignant.

“One of you struck me.”

A silence followed.

Hitting an angel wasn’t exactly a light crime.

“Didn’t mean to, you just…I wasn’t aiming for you,”
the one who had been struck first spoke up.

“So, this fight was over a mere insult?”
Amina inquired. Hesitation.

“Well no,” the insulted one spoke, “We’ve had our issues for a while now.”

“He still owes me money for the eggs I sold him.”

“His son killed my hunting dog.”

A litany of sins began to be listed, and Amina’s eye twitched.
‘Petty.’ But she allowed the complaints to swirl, to get heated. One of them finally rose, apparently ready to come to blows again.

“Is it worth dying for?”
Amina asked the one who’s fist struck a table. He looked to her. Her question remained.

“Uh…no….”

“Then let it go.”

A blink.
“What?”

“If it is not worth dying for, nor killing for, then you do not need it.”
Her logic was simple, if not human. That was always the problem, it was too inhuman to just let things go.

Pach_Work

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:48 am »
Juliette observed as a spinout of complaints turned into an argument. Humans really could be ignorant and incredibly defensive. If only such a race did not posses such flaws. What could really be done? It didn’t take long for Amina to settle it with a simple question.

No, it was not worth dying over.

She wondered idly if the argument would have been worth it if she’d lost control, if she had torn towards the men instead of away from them. Would they have felt differently if she had sunk her teeth into one of their necks? Her hands still shook, and she wanted to leave.

Should she really be in the same area as the addiction?

It wouldn’t matter how far she traveled to get away from it, there would always be the hankering that came in the form of a voice, taunting her until she submitted. Juliette remained behind the angel, still unable to ignore her thirst enough to let go of her hand. She was afraid of what she may do.

Later she would confront the angel, “Would you stay with me? Talk with me tonight like those other nights?” Juliette knew that Amina could not babysit her forever. Soon she would have to learn to fight off the urge on her own. She would find out over the years that the scent of blood would never be easy to ignore, but her body would become eaier to control.

Unfortunately experience came with age.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2014, 04:38:55 pm »
Amina talked through the end of the argument, the end of the issues, until it was all settled. Her hand never once released its hold on Juliette as she dealt with the human issue. If this were a job with payment, she’d consider that Gabrielle truly didn’t get paid enough money.

Alas, there was no payment but being in the presence, and nothing could ever compare to that.

As the situation settled, ended, Juliette turned to her and asked her about staying. Amina smiled, nodded,
“Of course. It was not as if I were going to sleep.” She didn’t truly have plans for the night. She never did. She was simply a guard at night. “What is it you want to talk about?” she inquired, thinking the vampire must have had something in mind to ask Amina to stay.