News: 
Paragraphite

PROMPT: New Year Read 1215 times

Jill the Ripper

• pause.
    • View Profile
PROMPT: New Year
« on: January 08, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »
Because I like these things and so should you.

WORDS/PHRASES TO USE: New Year, Yellow, Starlight, Crisp, Shattered, "I don't care what you think,"

THEME: Anything at all~

WORD COUNT: Unlimited

Lightning

• dying with style.
    • View Profile
Re: PROMPT: New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 06:29:29 am »
To say I understood her would be a huge, incredible lie.

I never could and probably never will.

Even now, in this crisp, frigid air, on the night of the New Year, watching her light up a cigarette, I don't understand her in the slightest.

"I don't care what you think," She started, taking a drag like nicotine and smoke were better than fresh air, "This whole...thing" She gestured her hands around, "It's fucking stupid."

She thought a lot of things were stupid. I don't know why. Maybe she got a kick out of it, this concept that nothing in this world was intelligible.

"What is?" I asked, regretting the words the minute they left my mouth as she turned, yellow hair lit up by starlight and the quick blasts of color that exploded in the sky. Her face was set into that expression that I knew all too well. She thought I was stupid too, of course.

She rolled her eyes, "New Years, John. What did you think I meant?" She threw her hands up in the air, seemingly exasperated. Sometimes, she could be quite dramatic. I think that this was one of those times.

I was about to open my mouth, defend myself or something, I didn't quite have the words together yet. Maybe that's why she thought I was stupid. I was already about to speak when I didn't even know what to say. Fortunately, she continued on, and I shut my mouth, grateful to be rid of the idea of confirming I was indeed an idiot.

"It's just ugh," She took another drag, a long one, inhaling deep. "Why celebrate it? Nothing's changed. Nothing is going to change simply because we have to buy new calendars."

She was right, in some way, I guess. It did seem a bit silly, but I liked the idea of it anyway. I especially liked the fireworks, a beautiful explosion of light that shattered and faded in the sky. Did she hate that too? Was it stupid?

I shrugged, I didn't have an answer for her, but I wasn't sure if she needed one. She didn't seem to care as she looked away from me at the sky, eyes lit up as another firework obscured the stars.

Her lips moved and I didn't catch what she said, but I figured it didn't matter. She was smiling now and that was enough.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:05:43 am by Lightning »

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:25 am »
New Year. New You.

Resolutions were made in the heat of the moment and kisses were exchanged the across the nation. That wasn’t the case here. Here, away from the biting cold air, I sat at the booth in the IHOP and stared at the empty space.

The blue dress was the same as every year. The sneakers, too. I could still feel the phantom cold from when we’d climbed the mountain of snow in the mall parking lot. You won that round of King of the Hill, if only because you were vulgar enough to decide to mark the hill with yellow.

Jackass.

“More coffee, dear?”

I blinked the thought away and looked up at the pretty waitress. It wasn’t the one I wanted to see. I liked the nightshift manager, Arabic man full of charm and stories about his kids. “Yes.” It was iced coffee. Cold.

I was never very sensible.

Neither were you.

She didn’t take my cup. She would waste a new one on me. I looked at the book I’d brought, the book I’d promised myself I would read. The cover was decorated with stars. Starlight, Starbright was its title. It was some sort of self-help book, something about reclaiming destiny. I had just liked the title in all honesty. I had hoped it was a book of poetry. Well, that’s what I get for buying for a book near the check-out line at Barnes and Noble, I suppose. Impulse buys. Unless they’re chocolate, they’re made of regret.

I heard the glass touch the table. “Have you decided what you’d like to order now?”

I had decided the moment I came in. I just didn’t want to say it. It meant I’d have to eat it and leave. “Yes,” came the word. “Just the regular hamburger. Fries.” I didn’t get this anymore. It was hard to swallow. It still would be, but tonight was a night for bitter pills.

She left again. I looked to the window. There was a red car outside that looked like yours. It was a piece of shit, yours. This one wasn’t. ‘What you could have been.’

I turned away with that thought. I sucked cold coffee through a straw, too quickly. Too cold. I coughed.

My eyes are on the empty space again, where you sat in a white shirt and blue jeans. New Year. New You. ‘Isn’t it about time you start thinking ahead?’ I smiled at the space. I was not happy. ‘You’ve quit five jobs this year.’

I hadn’t meant to start an argument, but I touched on a nerve. I still remember the way your face turned red, redder than it had been in the cold. I remember you standing and going to that red car, and shouting at me to call a taxi. You paid for the bill when I told you that you didn’t have enough.

‘I don’t care what you think!’

I placed my head against the window, still looking at the space.

You did, though. You cared so much you peeled out of the IHOP in a rage at what I thought, at how I cared, and crashed. Drunk driver, they said. Amateur night.

The plate found itself on the table and I opened my eyes, not realizing I’d shut them. “Will there be anything else for you?”

“Ketchup.”

A nod and off she went. ‘They used ketchup for blood.’

Blood didn’t look like ketchup, though. I saw enough of it when I saw you in the hospital, your skull shattered.

Ketchup put on the table. “Enjoy your meal.”

I nodded. “Thank you.”

You died before the sun rose.

New Year.

No You.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:53:02 am by Krystal Itzume »

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 03:28:48 am »
It was only two hours past the new year and already the gauzy glow of possibilities had been shattered. He'd had a swift kick to the gut that had left him less winded than the news she had just delivered.

Standing there under the scattered starlight he sucked in a sharp breath of the shockingly crisp winter air, ready to make his argument.

"I don't care what you think. I don't care what anyone thinks, it's my body, my disease, my life."

His eyes stung with angry tears as he looked her over.

Just hours ago, literally, he was breathless over the yellow dress she'd donned for the party they were attending. She looked so vital, almost as if she was suffused with sunlight, with possibilty, with life.

Now her heavy black wool coat covered her from neck to knee, though the shimmering plastic party crown and glimmering heals could still be seen, picking up the scattered star light.

He shook his head. He needed her to fight, he pulled his empty hand from his ringbox filled pocket. How could she be dieing? How could he change her mind?

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:29:00 am »
I don’t care what you think about critique – I’m going to offer my feedback and kudos on these pieces.  Each is really unique and quite good.  I can’t possibly compete, so I’m not going to try.

For Lightening, I particularly liked the crisp opening line. If this were a novel  I would read more in an heart beat.  That really drew me in and actually made me smile.  I liked it so much I might steal it one day.

For Krystal, I think your use of yellow was clever.  I didn’t see that one coming.  The piece itself leaves one truly shattered, with the emotion and the play on words.  No you.  I read it three times and found new nuances each time.   I hope it’s not based on a true to life scenario.  It felt that authentic that I want to ask and offer sympathy if needed.

For Peregrine, I could visualize your scene and the starlight.  Such a night would be fitting for a proposal.  The pocket ring box was a wonderful detail.  The reason for the denial completely plausible with the required dialogue given a unique and tragic twist.

All your stories were so filled with emotion.  I almost can’t say that I 'enjoyed' them, but I will admit that they touched me.  I read these yesterday and considered them late into the night.

I'm honored to work with such talented writers.

Happy New Year.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:30:07 am by Beau »