Paragraphite

The Year That Once Was [Finished] Read 12428 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: The Year That Once Was [Closed]
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 05:18:46 am »
‘A suit shop would have a needle.’ And thread. It wasn’t exactly medical grade, but Angelus had made due before. He didn’t speak up, though. Thread and stitching hadn’t been his first thought anyway. He’d been concerned about the cold. He didn’t have the energy to argue. Stopping had started to have its effect. The pain was numbing. He felt dizzy, tired. He wanted to just sit down and shut his eyes.

He wasn’t allowed such a luxury. Julio dragged him along. Angelus kept his bad arm against his chest and let himself be led, hardly taking in the changing environment. 

They made it to another apartment. Angelus let Julio deal with the lock. He leaned against the wall besides the door and waited as patiently as he could for it to be opened. When it was, he slipped inside the apartment, alert for movement as he walked to the couch. It was strange to him how put-together this place seemed to be.
‘A trap.’ Had to be. Somehow, it had to be.

He all but collapsed onto the couch anyway.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 06:15:10 am »
Juls walked on in and closed the door behind him.

“You fuckin scared me,” said Juls to Ange, as if he was in a position to listen. He wasn’t. “Don’t fuckin do that again!” A forceful whisper as Juls checked the man’s temperature. He was running a fever. Ange was quickly losing blood, for he collapsed on the couch. Juls put the bag down and fetched his weapons. Something was not right about this place, which had always been a risk going in.

“Silly boy! You’re not supposed to be here!” A Toclafane emerged from where the bathroom was supposed to be. Two more quickly followed. These were scouter Toclafane, designed to stake out stragglers and turn them in. Their weapons weren’t made for combat, but they could quickly alert those with the stronger weapons in case they encountered problems. “Don’t you know you’re not supposed to leave the factory?”

“What factory, bitch?” 

Shots were fired, which stunned the Toclafane still. Juls moved quickly and opened the Toclafane up to remove their routers. If he did that they couldn’t send out a signal for the others. They would be safe. Toclafane patrols often went for weeks without maintenance. It took him a bit, but Juls took out each of their routers, disabled them, and made sure the rest of the apartment was clean. There weren’t any medical supplied though.

“Shit,” he said, going back to Ange. “I’m going to go find what we need,” he said, feeling his head again. “Don’t move, please.”

Angelus would be safe. No Toclafane had been alerted, and the other three had been disabled. Still, that didn’t mean that Juls had time. He rushed out of the apartment and closed the door, his back pack in one hand and a gun in the other.

Three places proved useless, but he found needles and thread in a generic clothing store. It dawned on him that he could only find supplies where the humans worked and where the Toclafane lurked. They provided the factory workers with uniforms and rags for their work. It was tricky going in and out unnoticed, but Juls was quick on his feet. Juls overheard some of the humans talk about the burned down factory, and how the ones behind it had been killed by an explosion.

Word traveled fast. 

By the time Juls made his way back to the apartment, Ange had already passed out. His face had paled, and he was burning hot. The couch had been ruined by the blood, and the boy tried to persuade himself that the scene looked a lot worse than it was. Juls removed the drenched shirt and jacket, cleaned the wound and the needles again, and then began to stitch the wound. He’d done a lousy job, and it would leave a scar, but at least the bleeding had been contained. He fetched one of the clean sheets and wrapped it around the wound.

Juls made sure to check Ange every few hours, feeling relieved that his fever was breaking. Eventually, Juls couldn’t keep his eyes open. He fell asleep resting his head on the couch.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2014, 06:32:11 am »
Angelus heard the yelling, but it was from a distance. ‘I know.’ What he’d done had been stupid. Suicidal. ‘So it was.’ He tilted his head back against the cushions. He heard the cheerful toclafane, and he tried to move himself. He didn’t have his baseball bat anymore. He didn’t have his bag. His good hand reached up to the rose.

At least he still had that.

‘So this is how it ends.’

Except the shots he heard fired were not from the toclafane. His partner had taken care of them. He heard the rattling as they were disabled, and smiled, just a little. The boy soon returned to the area, and Angelus was told not to move. Even so, with his good arm, he gave a lazy salute.

He was out minutes later, slipping into a darkness that seemed to hold a familiar presence. He could never see what lurked in the dark, though, but it felt comfortable.
‘Isn’t there supposed to be a light?’ There was no light. Angelus didn’t slip from darkness into death that night, and he wouldn’t know why until he woke to the sun forcing its way through the blinds.

He hadn’t wanted to leave. He felt like he needed to be there.

He opened his eyes and saw he was in that apartment still. He blinked a few times, before he shifted to his side. He saw Julio asleep nearby, head resting against the couch. He smiled.
‘Damn.’ He really had worried him.

He moved his arm. It still hurt, but he could see the bleeding had stopped. He was pale, of course, from the lack of blood. He would need to hydrate himself, and quickly.

He sat up, located the backpack and moved to take out a water bottle from it. He returned to sit on the couch, to wait. He wouldn’t disturb Julio. The man deserved his rest. His life had been saved for it, as he could tell from the blood on the couch and how weak he presently felt.
‘Thank you.’

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2014, 09:54:57 pm »
Julio had meant to wake up every couple of hours to check on Angelus, but his exhaustion had not allowed it. His head was resting on the couch comfortably, with his hands falling to his sides. A small trail of blood had formed from his neck and down his back, from the bullet or blast that had grazed him back at the safe house. The wound had dried already, but Juls had been too busy to pay attention to it. Before he fell asleep, Juls had already forgotten it was even there.

“Fuck you,” he mumbled with his eyes still closed, “you damn light. I can never sleep in goddamn peace.”

Most of his words had been coherent, but it was the reminder that he’d been asleep that made Julio’s eyes snap open. “Shit,” he breathed out, realization. “I fell asleep!” His head snapped back as he looked towards the couch. Angelus was there, a bottle of water in his hand, still looking pale from the injuries he had sustained. He was at least awake, which made Juls let out a breath of relief.

He shuffled towards him, placing his hand on Ange’s forehead. No fever. A smile.

“You need food, too,” he fetched some more food from the back pack. He needed to drink water to hydrate himself, but he needed food for his strength. Juls would have fed him if it had been possible. No such luck. “I'm rubbish as a Doctor,” he said, “your scar will end up looking like crap.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:20 pm »
It took all of Angelus’s will power not to laugh when Julio first began cursing out the light. He waited, smile on his lips, and when Julio made the exclamation he couldn’t help it. He burst into laughter at the other man. He settled it as quickly as he could, for the other drew close, and tried to check for a fever. He had stifled his amusement into only a smile by then.

No fever.
“Always food with you,” he groaned. He wasn’t so concerned about the scar. He shrugged that off, “I’m not too concerned.” The fact it had stopped bleeding and would heal was enough, never mind how bad the scar look.

He reached out to accept the can,
“Thank you for putting my arm back together. I’m…sorry about that,” he sighed, “I’m not normally that stupid,” as he hoped the other knew by now. He was certainly rash, but his actions tended to have logic behind them. There had been absolutely no logic behind his move against the toclafane.

He noticed the dried blood,
“You ok?” 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2014, 05:29:48 am »
Juls joined in on Ange’s laugh, though he was still groggy and moody. Apparently he had been funny without meaning to, so much that even his companion couldn’t help himself. After he gave Angelus the food he checked his arm, gently moving it to see both ends of the injury. It looked like they were clear from infection, though he would need to switch the rag wrapped around it for another one. Julio could rip another of the sheets in time.

“You’re welcome,” said Julio, but quickly continued, “I know you must have had your reasons for jumping that Toclafane.” At least enough reason to jump at that one, specific, Toclafane anyway. Julio didn’t want to pry, but would listen if Angelus wanted to talk. “Just don’t fuckin do that again. You scared me half to death, mate. We'll kill it next time for sure.”

A small stinging pain came to the side of his neck. He had forgotten about it, but it wasn’t worth worrying over. “I’m fine. One of those bitch Toclafane shot me back at the safe house. It only grazed me, I think.” At least he thought so, it’s not like he could see the injury.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2014, 05:36:24 am »
Angelus ate. He listened to the lecture he barely remembered from before, “I won’t. It was just...,” he thought to speak, but his throat tightened. He cleared it, went another route. “Do we still have weapons that kill them?” He wasn’t sure. He knew his baseball bat was left behind. His beloved. He needed a new one. He needed more explosives. “Or more of the burning liquid of death?”

Graze or not, the wound on the man’s neck ought to be treated and covered before they continued on. Even a graze could prove fatal if it got infected.
“You could use some of that. I can wrap it,” he offered. He just wasn’t sure what was available to him. From the pain in his arm, he’d been pretty sure the entire bottle was dumped on him.

Never again.

He set aside the food, half-through but done. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2014, 06:58:17 am »
Juls thought that Angelus was going to speak about the Toclafane, but it seemed that he was not yet ready. Perhaps the wound was still too near. ‘Aren’t they all?’ Juls sighed, disheartened that he couldn’t help Ange.

Instead of a confession, a question came. “I just have the blaster and the two small guns,” said Juls, though he said it as if it weren’t a problem. It wasn’t. “I can dissect the Toclafane in the other room to make a couple of other guns. They won’t kill, but they’ll stun them in place. I still have the processor and the router though,” the most important items in his possession.

A chuckle came when the alcohol was mentioned. “I’m sorry about that. It must have hurt as hell. I had to go find more, there’s some in the bag.” The bag was beginning to look empty again, though. They were running low on food and water. They’d need to go scavenging around the city. “Do you think it needs cleaning?” Of course it did. He didn’t want to look at it.

“Go on then,” he said with a weak smile. “Get your revenge on me.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2014, 07:36:27 am »
More guns were promised, “I don’t suppose you can make a bat?” That might be asking too much. He wasn’t sure there was enough metal for that. Guns were smaller.

He moved to the bag, easily found the alcohol. The bag was not full of much now. They’d need to restock on more food and water, certainly.
“It did,” he agreed. He noted the sheet that had been torn and discarded. He tore a bit off to use as a cleansing pad, dumping some of the alcohol on to it. “You get a warning,” he couldn’t really get revenge because of that. “It does need cleaning.”

He pressed the cloth to the wound. He talked through it, as he moved the cloth over the injury to also get rid of the appearance of the blood. He thought it would be kinder, and they weren’t in a rush, if he distracted.
“The toclafane back there,” he began. It was easier to speak when occupied, too. He was able to speak as if it had happened to someone else and not him, “killed my sister. Killed everyone, really, but it didn’t have to kill her. It gave her a choice,” he still couldn’t believe it. “You know how you always think you’ll be noble in those situations, when someone else’s life is on the line?”

Angelus wasn’t so sure he’d live up to that nobility. He didn’t really want to find out, either.
“She was.” And he had lived because of it. “Sick game they play.” The bloody cloth was now discarded, and Angelus bent to pick up more of the cloth, tearing it so he could wrap it around the man’s neck, careful with tightness so he wouldn’t strangle him. There was no tape, or he would have used that instead. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2014, 08:36:39 pm »
Juls would miss the bat, too.

“I can make something for you with the crowbar?” He suggested, but it wouldn’t at all be like a bat. It would still be used for melee, and it would do just as much damage as a bat, but it wouldn’t have the same feel. It would be a little lighter, but harder.

Angelus was being kind; he’d given Juls a warning. Julio had thought that Angelus would just leave the injury alone, but knew better when he got the alcohol from the bag and torn fabric from the sheet. Perhaps this was his way of thanking Juls. Perhaps they were getting closer than Juls had imagined. He had wanted that. He felt protective in a way that would seem ridiculous to others.

Juls took in a sharp breath as the alcohol did its work on the wound. It was stinging, but manageable. He was sure that this pain could not compare to what Ange had endured.

The pain quickly faded when Angelus began to speak. He had been right. The Toclafane back at the hideout had killed his sister, and everyone he cared for. Ange’s sister had been given a choice, as the Toclafane often offered, but she had denied them. Juls wasn’t able to do that. He had been too afraid of dying, even if Cat had already been killed. He didn’t have the strength to let it go.

“She sounds awesome,” said Juls softly. He imagined that had they met in different situations, they could have all been friends. “I’m sorry. Nobody should ever go through what you have.”

They weren't just empty words. Juls had meant them. By the time the Toclafane had invaded, Juls had already left his parents. They had a complicated relationship, so he didn't even have a chance to say goodbye. They were just gone. Angelus had been there. It must have been horrible.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2014, 09:01:45 pm »
Angelus could accept something made out of the crowbar, something melee, really. He only wanted it for the Master. The gun just wasn’t good enough. He wanted to bash the man’s head in.

‘She was.’

That was why it hurt. Their relationship had been good, a friendship crafted some years prior despite their differences. They’d once hated each other, or rather, he’d been jealous and she’d been neglectful. They grew up, though, and grew together rather than apart.
“Nobody should have to go through any of this.”

But the truth was there. They did. It was this very reason which broke Angelus of his faith. It hadn’t been strong in the first place, but now he couldn’t believe. There was no god, and if there was, Angelus would approach him with a bat, too.

That was a thought for another day, though.
“I think we can stay here a while longer,” no toclafane had come to investigate those missing in their ranks. “Make what you can. We’ll leave tomorrow.” A day of rest and recuperation before continuing on in the mission to the larger factory. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2014, 05:26:40 am »
The truth had come out, however painful it was. Julio could understand. Catrina had resisted capture, too. She had run, and was killed in the cross action. The Toclafane had not given them a choice, not really. Unlike Angelus, Julio did not carry the memory of the Toclafane that did it. It could have been because he hadn’t been sure which had shot the killing blow. It’s not like he pursued them, either. It haunted him, but there was nothing he could do about it.

“If we succeed,” said Juls, “then nobody else will have to.”

That was a comforting thought. It was what kept him going. The possibility of a future where things could be as they were before, it gave Juls strength. It made him think that everything he had done, everything he was yet to do, was okay – that it was acceptable. “Thanks,” a soft tone expressed the gratitude, “for cleaning my wound, mate.” He turned away. ‘…for letting me come, for letting me take care of you…and for taking care of me.’

They were to rest there for the day. The Toclafane wouldn’t show. To them, the others were still alive and scouting for trespassers. The room became silent quickly, and eventually the only sound audible was that of clatter. Julio had busied himself with working on the disabled Toclafane. He was taking them apart, finding the useful weapons, and setting aside scrap metal for Ange’s crowbar. It was a distraction more than anything.

“Damn it,” a whisper of frustration escaped him, meant only for himself, for it couldn't be helped. The Toclafane were scattered before him, and although he had gotten far with the router, it began to seem like nothing he did would make a difference. They still had a long way ahead of them. Sheffield wasn’t exactly near.

‘Get it together.’

Julio pushed the tools aside and rested his head against the bathroom wall. Everything would be fine. They would make it to Sheffield, and they would find and kill the Master. They would put an end to the Master. No one else would.

‘Don’t you see?’ a young boy had told him one day, quite some time ago, ‘He’s going to come and save us. The Doctor. I’ve heard stories about him. They say he is like the opposite of the Master, and that he can stop him.’ He had said it with such certainty that Julio had almost believed him.

‘That’s just wishful thinking,’ Cat had told him. ‘Where is he, then?’

‘On his way, I’m sure.’

People didn’t believe the kid. They all shunned him, an orphan who wandered about the deserted streets. Dirty and crazy, they thought him. Nobody would come. The kid was mad. There was something about him that was foolish for believing that someone could save them all. And yet, Julio wanted to believe him. Then Cat died.

‘You don’t get it, Juls. Those alien things came out of nowhere, nowhere. That’s proof that there is life beyond any of our imaginations. The universe is huge, we are but a speck in the unknown world. Do you really think nobody is watching over us?’

Clatter brought Juls back to the empty bathroom. The memories drifted away once more. Julio and Angelus had to put a stop to the Master. They were alone, and the Doctor was not coming. The kid had been wrong.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2014, 05:40:00 am »
Angelus nodded, "You're welcome," he responded to the gratitude. He supposed it was a happy thought to think that, because of what they did, no one else would have to suffer as they did. It fixed nothing for him, but it would for others. Angelus didn't want others to know this pain, to know Julio's pain, or anyone's. This could just be a horrible story grandchildren heard from their grandparents, one day.

Angelus had nothing to do. He had no items to make explosives, and he didn’t dare go out right now. He listened to the work of Julio, but did not go to observe. He thought it would be distracting, and he didn’t want to distract. He couldn’t go to the window to watch the outside world, though.

At some point, he must have drifted off into another nap, for he was startled from it by a loud clatter. He was still sitting up at least.

Julio cursed. Angelus calmly rose and went around the corner of the apartment and into another room, where the toclafane were laid out. It did bother him, seeing the fleshy faces within. He didn’t want to think that they had flesh-and-blood lives beneath the metal. The sleek, metal design always made it easier to harm them. They seemed like just machines then.

‘The Master saved us from the darkness!’

But they had lives, too, and Julio was using their bodies to make weapons. Fitting. Morbid.

Julio seemed out of it, though. Angelus didn’t speak until he seemed to return the present, the bathroom, and not his daydream.
“You ok?” Angelus asked, leaning in the doorway. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2014, 03:35:16 am »
Juls turned to Ange, who was leaning against the doorway.

“I hardly know anymore,”
he admitted, though it seemed like his thoughts were no longer torturing him. He spoke calmly, as if the fact that he was not okay didn’t bother him. He was physically okay, but otherwise it was still a mystery. His hands fetched a beaten and worn wallet from one of the pockets in his pants – brown and faded. It was seemingly useless to carry a wallet nowadays, since they really weren’t needed, yet Julio’s still held value. It had pictures of his parents and of Cat.

Julio had lost contact with the mates he had made in school, and was barely starting to make friendships when things went to hell. There were no pictures of them inside the wallet.

“I’m okay with it,” he said, opening the wallet up, “not being okay. I think I’ve come to terms with it all.” A picture was taken out of the wallet, his parents, gray-haired and happy. “I don’t remember the last time I spoke to them, you know. It must have been at least a couple of months before everything happened with the Toclafane. When they didn’t call, I knew something had gone wrong.”

He still had his phone back then, after all.

“I don’t know what type of relationship you had with your parents,” he said with a smile, “you don’t have to tell me if you don't want to. I can guess what kind of relationship you had with your sister, though. It’s the type I wish I had with my parents. They weren’t bad,” he felt the need to clarify, “I was just not a kid that they could easily tame.” He had put them through hell. Juls didn’t know why he was saying everything. It didn’t bother him to keep his mouth shut, but he hoped that he could get the strength to keep going if he spoke of it.

Julio closed his wallet, but kept the picture in his hand.

“I know you don’t like talking very much,” or so Juls suspected, “but you can talk to me if you want.”

If Angelus also had pictures – or anything – to share, Juls would listen.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2014, 06:07:44 am »
As the wallet came into sight, Angelus walked further into the bathroom. He put the lid of the toilet down and took a seat, a bit behind Julio, so he could see what was taken out. Parents. ‘Ah.’ He remembered his. His father had started to go gray. His mother hid hers under dye. Narcissist. He didn’t know how the two got along, how they stayed together. It was a mystery to him.

He felt sad for Julio. Angelus hadn’t even considered calling his parents.
“They don’t look bad,” he said when Julio clarified. Of course, they looked happy in the picture, like some sweet old couple who might say something inappropriate and earn gasps. His impression might be wrong. ‘I was wrong about Saxon.’ A bit conservative. Perhaps that was how Julio put them through hell.

He suggested he’d listen if Angelus had anything to say. He supposed he didn’t, but guessed Julio wanted to hear something, some affirmation that there were simple, human connections between the two of them.

“My parents gave up on me.”

What a strange statement, but it had been true for a long time.
“I wasn’t exactly tameable, either, but they eventually just stopped lecturing me, stopped paying me any attention. They threw money at me to keep me occupied and out of their hair.” A bit of a smirk. “All their attention went to Maya.” Hers had been a life of duty, their mother living vicariously through her. “My sister.” He realized he hadn’t named her. “But they were all right, I guess.” Ignored, he didn’t really know them. He had made friends instead, moved out the second he could and rarely visited.

He supposed he was still upset with them, even then.
“I don’t know what happened to them. I didn’t try to call.” And ignorance was bliss. He had no pictures to show. The only thing he had that meant anything was the rose, and there was no way to explain it. He didn’t understand it himself. He just knew Maya wouldn’t be there to leave him one, and a part of him was deluded enough to think that if he kept it, he’d live long enough to properly bury her memory. He hadn’t yet done so. He couldn’t.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2014, 08:34:47 am »
Ange and Juls had similar situations with their parents. They both had problems in the past, and neither had really gotten the chance to say goodbye. Juls took comfort in the memories he had with them, suddenly smiling. They had been great, and they hadn’t deserved the way he had treated them.

“They were always trying to tell me how to go on with my life, getting after me to do well” he chuckled. “Don’t be going out too late, Juls! You have school tomorrow! You’re too young to be drinking, my darling boy! I heard you slept over at Danny’s house! Are you dating that boy?!” Those had been great days. When he’d told his parents of his sexuality, they had flipped but eventually been supportive. He still liked mimicking his parents. He had the impersonations down to perfection. “I was never really able to just sit down and listen. I partied, got drunk – fooled around.”

He laughed, putting his picture back in the wallet and taking another one out – Catrina and he. She had an arm around him and was winking. Juls had his hair dyed pink and had his tongue sticking out, a rave party lighting all the background behind him. It looked like the picture had been taken by him. He looked so much younger in the picture, despite the fact that it had been less than a year since he’d taken the shot.

“This was us at a rave in London,” he said, actually offering the picture for Ange to see. “I miss it, going out and dancing all night with her. We never needed to take anything to have fun, besides vodka, anyway.” He had never gone into anything else other than alcohol. Never drugs.

Juls laughed even harder at the memories. He had been so crazy back then. Maybe he still was, but the opportunity to have fun had died with everyone else. Still, it was a nice thing to look forward to. A future where kids could just go out and have fun, without real worries. “I was no joke,” he said to Ange. “No wonder my parents thought I was crazy. Even Cat thought that one day I would find a handsome blonde and leaver her, said I was too crazy. Silly.”

Yes. That’s what he wanted to fight for – a better future for others, even if it killed him in the process.

“I would have loved to meet Maya. She sounds like she knew how to have fun. Maybe play some good music?”

A guess.

More clatter erupted as Juls stretched out his legs on the floor. Reality. That was no joke, either.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2014, 09:09:46 am »
Angelus listened. He was good at that, when he needed to be. Maya liked to talk, to vent, and he tended to be the one she went to for that. Jasmine and Andrew still worried her. It was almost nostalgic, just listening as he spoke of his parents, and then Cat—the Cat he has so thoughtlessly invoked. Angelus took the picture. The girl was pretty. Obviously a partier, too.

“One day,” Angelus consoled.

That was a future Julio wanted. It would be possible with the Master gone. One day.

He offered the picture back to Julio as he mentioned Maya,
“Violin, piano, vocals,” Angelus listed, in the order Maya was comfortable with. “She’s been in tournaments and won. Actress and dancer, too. Prim and proper,” but there was a smirk, “At least, to most.” He had figured it out, years and years ago, “She liked raves. Worked with poi.” Jasmine generally went with her. Jasmine had loved those things. “Just put her anywhere with music and dancing and she’d be happy, really. Or the theater,” he shook his head, “she liked pretending.” It was her escape from life. She embraced the roles easily, a professional liar. “She liked paintball, too. I didn’t think she would.” Stress relief, she’d called it, though she didn’t shoot many. She was the runner, the one who captured the enemy flag. 

“I wasn’t the sort of hell raiser you were,”
he said, “I just didn’t conform like she did. I didn’t want what my parents wanted for me. Hell, I still don’t know what I want.” He wasn’t sure he ever would know. His purpose in life had simply been to make enough money to support himself and his hobbies. A job as something fun, a career, never really crossed his mind. “I was working fast food when this started,” he shook his head, “Finished school, just…didn’t care enough to continue it.” Still didn’t. He didn’t see the point, since he didn’t know what he wanted. Andrew talked of med school. Jasmine and Maya had just finished college. “Not that any of it matters now.”

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2014, 09:59:18 am »
Hell raiser.

Juls couldn’t help but let out a soft laugh. He supposed that the term was accurate. He put the picture back in his wallet and put the wallet back into one of the pockets in his pants.

“The violin, huh?” Juls had always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, but he neither had the aptitude nor the patience for it. It seemed that Maya was a girl of many talents that ranged from all sorts of arts to paintball. She sounded great, and it saddened him that she could no longer be with her brother. Juls could tell that he missed her more than he could admit – more than he could handle.

“School was never for me, either,” admitted Juls, even he had been enrolled at the time everything went to hell. He would have kept going, but he just never cared for it.  He would have rocked in Ange’s paintball team if he would have had the chance to play.

A sigh escaped Juls. “Yeah, I suppose it doesn’t matter,” he agreed. “Sometimes, though, it’s not so bad to remember the good times. Once we get moving again, and we're back out in the wilderness away from the Toclafane, I'll challenge you to a target match. I'll own your ass.”

Juls picked himself up and gave a weak smile to Ange. “I’m going to go look for supplies. You should stay here. If I find more alcohol, I’ll clean your wound again, just to be on the safe side.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2014, 10:17:09 am »
‘I don’t like to remember.’

Even if there was something pleasant about speaking of it, Angelus always returned to the thought that it was gone. It would never be again.

Dead was dead.

Even if he killed the Master, he knew it fixed nothing but the future, and Angelus didn’t have much stock in the future, except what Julio wanted. It was strange, really. He had done this as his own personal quest of revenge, his own way of atoning for voting for the man, with no thought of how it would help others. Now, he was considering that.
“Good luck. No one is a better shot than me.” Especially at target practice.

Juls stood. Angelus followed suit, but didn’t walk when Julio mentioned leaving for supplies. Alcohol. Angelus sat back down.
“You hate me, don’t you?” Food, alcohol. He was evil. “That stuff sucks.” He didn’t need it. His wound had already been disinfected. “I’ll wait here, though.” He still thought one person got around more easily than two. Julio had clearly managed it last night. He could do so again.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2014, 01:14:00 am »
Juls would put Angelus talent to the test, for he was a good shot himself. He said nothing more on that subject however. “That stuff is necessary for people like us,” people who could frequently get hurt. Julio was glad that Angelus had willingly accepted to remain behind. It would be easier for only one of them to get around, and out of the two, Juls had the better chance of moving around unnoticed. A part of him was concerned that Angelus would still develop a fever.

Without saying anything else, Juls fetched his backpack, left some water and food for Ange, and stepped out of the apartment.

The morning was hotter than he had expected. It was a welcomed surprise and a change from the recently cooler days. Juls took a moment to look up at the sky, clear and blue. It almost seemed like nothing had gone wrong with the world. These few instances of relaxation were far too short lived, for Julio had to soon move on. There was a risk that he would run into more frequent patrols of Toclafane, since the explosion had been near.

He tried scavenging what seemed like endless places, finding nothing more than a couple of cans. Eventually, however, he found another suspicious trap. In time, he lured out the Toclafane and disposed of them how he had back at the apartment. The trap was an obvious one, for there were cabinets that had not been scavenged before. It had all been too perfect.

The Toclafane were expecting another foolish passerby. They had not expected a man like Julio, who knew how the Toclafane thought and how they worked.

It must have been the early afternoon, maybe half past midday, when Juls started walking back to the apartment. A trail of sweat was trailing down his back, but he didn't seem to mind. The bag now had more food and more water bottles. Alcohol had proven to be too scarce. They would have to go without it until the next town over. Still, they could go without worrying about food for some time yet. He checked to make sure the coast was clear before her jiggled the door open and hastened inside.

“I’m back,” he announced. He had the backpack hanging on his shoulder and a blue shirt tightly grasped in his hand, one that he found while out and about. It wasn’t as dirty as some he had seen, and it would do for the future.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2014, 02:27:07 am »
Days passed slowly. Angelus did take the opportunity to catch a quick nap, but he woke far too soon. He wanted to be walking again, moving, but he couldn’t just leave Julio.

‘You could.’

Technically, rationally, he could leave him. Yet, he could no longer reason it morally. As he lied on the side of the uninjured arm, he realized that Julio had grown attached to him—and he to Julio.
‘Damn it.’ Too much sharing. Too much traveling. Angelus had known better in the beginning. It was easier when he could think of Julio as a potential ransom, a coward like all the other humans, but he couldn’t do that any longer.

Julio let him remember what humans were, Julio made him think again about the plight of the Toclafane. Julio was a horrible source of consciousness, even if he, too, was participating in horrendous acts. He humanized the victims again.

A torment, and a relief.

It was better that Angelus feel pain and regret, than nothing at all.
“I suppose you wouldn’t destroy everything, would you?” He spoke to the figment of his imagination, the illusion.

He knew Maya’s answer.

“I miss you.”

He imagined a lot of what she might say, what she might do. In the end, it wasn’t the same. It wasn’t her voice, her confirmation.
“I miss everyone.” He hadn’t cried, not since the first day. Another thing Maya would have chastised him for. Oh, she hid her emotions in public, but Angelus knew she found ways to let it out.

He hadn’t.

He didn’t scream as he wanted to, but he balled himself up. Finally, Angelus wept.

It was an hour or so later that Julio showed up. Angelus had found something to read, to occupy his time. He looked up as sounds were heard by the door, and actually smiled when Julio walked in.
“Welcome back,” he put the book down, stretched. “So, will we be leaving tonight?” He imagined Julio still had a few things to work on, but he was eager to get moving again. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 03:58:43 am »
Juls flashed Ange a smile in return as soon as he closed the door. “Food for everyone,” he announced with a triumphant grin, then gave his companion a questioning look. “Did you eat? Please tell me you did,” he raised a brow as he looked across the room. When his gaze found the cans he left just as they were, he frowned. “Whatever, eat now. I didn’t find any alcohol. Not much of anything, really.”

His hand reached for the bag as it rested on his shoulder and approached the couch. The shirt that his hand had been previously holding was then placed on the cushion. The question still remained about whether or not they would leave the apartment that night. Juls felt like remaining there for a while, but got the feeling that Ange was anxious to get moving.

“Yes,” he gave in with a smile. “We can leave tonight. The Toclafane will probably switch their patrols sometime soon anyway, better not risking overstaying our welcome.” Juls opened up the backpack and began taking out the cans that he had found. There were mixed vegetables, more beans and corn, but there was also tuna, diced sausages, and mixed canned meats. These had been clearly sent from the food factories to try and catch scavengers.

“The day outside is wonderful,” he said, “it looks like we won’t be needing our jackets tonight.”

Juls still had a couple of things to finish up before heading out again. The crowbar had almost been completely fashioned into a weapon that would suit Angelus, and he was almost sure that he could understand how the router worked now. If they made it to Sheffield safely, Juls was sure that he could cause enough commotion to bring the Master down from his fortress.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 04:34:54 am »
Food, and no alcohol. He couldn’t help but smirk at that mention, even as he moved to eat more of the food. “Fiine,” but only because he wasn’t going to have to suffer having his wound treated with more alcohol. Can opened, food eaten as Julio began to answer the real question. He also examined the new food brought out. That looked more appetizing than the mixed vegetables he was presently eating.

They would be able to leave that night. Angelus let out a relieved sigh.
“Good,” he was happy to hear that.

The sooner he could get to the Master, the better for all.

It was apparently nice outside. Angelus shrugged. He always wore his jacket. The rose was in the pocket. It certainly needed washed. It had a hole in it now from where the Toclafane had penetrated his arm. It was bloody. Even so, he wasn’t removing it.
“It’s nice that it’ll be warm.” It would be a change, but it meant something else that bothered Angelus.

The Master had survived another season. Angelus lost track of days, but the shift in weather that was becoming more and more noticeable meant the Master had been in power for quite a while. Was no one up there willing to harm him? Was no one else in the world doing anything?

‘They’re all waiting on that Doctor.’

Angelus scowled at the thought, but didn’t explain his expression.
“Let me know when you’re ready.” He told Julio instead, “I hate being cooped up here.” Nevermind injury or illness. He couldn’t stand this stagnation.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2014, 07:36:51 pm »
Juls ate some food himself, but just enough to make the nagging of his stomach go away. Angelus seemed to have gotten into better spirits after hearing that they would soon be on the road again. Julio understood. He had not minded staying in a relatively safe location for a while, but he couldn’t just sit by as time passed like before. Julio needed to keep moving, getting as close to Sheffield as they could. Sure a little more rest would have been welcomed, but he didn’t mind moving on.

“I can finish up the crowbar and pack things up, and then if you want, we can get going before sunset,” he looked around to see just how much he needed to pack up. It wasn’t much at all, “unless you would rather leave even earlier than that? I suppose we could do that, too. Did you at least get some good time to sleep?”

Ange worried Juls sometimes. Most of the time.

Travel by day was more dangerous than by night, but it was feasible. The crowbar was almost finished, so it would be quite soon before the pair would be able to start moving again. He began to pack everything up inside the backpack. They had plenty of food now, but medical supplies were still nonexistent. Juls would have to keep an eye out for them.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2014, 09:26:31 pm »
Angelus did want to go immediately. He could travel at any hour, but he supposed it was best not to compromise his victory. “We can wait until sunset.” He consented, then answered, “I’ve had plenty of sleep.” This would allow Julio to catch up on sleep if he needed it before they traveled through the night.

The day still passed too slowly for Angelus’s tastes. Every minute seemed like ten. When the sun finally did begin to go down, Angelus was at the door and ready to leave.
‘I need a new backpack.’ He realized that, too, belatedly. He’d have to see what sorts of buildings they passed on the way out of the town, but he had a feeling he might not get another one until Sheffield. He supposed he should be grateful. Without his bag, he wouldn’t do too many explosive antics between here and there. He couldn’t carry all his explosives.

He would need that in Sheffield, though.
‘Well, no stops for fun then.’ He wondered if Julio would mind, if he wanted the delay before the inevitable.

A part of Angelus did.

A part of him was starting to want to put it off for longer and longer. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2014, 02:36:23 am »
Sunset came upon them, by which time Juls was more than ready to start moving again. He strapped his bag at his side, made sure that he had everything he needed, and then met Angelus at the door. Toclafane would be lurking, no doubt, but there was no reason that they couldn’t escape the city without notice. Despite their little struggle in the last safe house, Juls felt comfortable traveling in the night. He had to.

“Ready?”

Of course he was.

Juls opened the door and slipped outside. He’d been right, too. The night was unusually warm and the sky quite clear. The stars were visible above them, and only rare and dark rogue clouds tainted the otherwise perfect picture. Juls let a smile appear on his face, but the distraction that was the sky was only so for a short while. The young man shook his head and made for the alleyways that would cut through most of the city.

They were still in the middle, so they would need to walk with care. Juls stepped silently with his blaster in hand, and he was especially careful when turning corners. In all the sneaking around they did, it was comforting to know that there was two of them. Juls didn’t know if he would be able to continue if he were alone.

“You alright?”

He whispered to Ange as they moved.

The question might have been interpreted in its simplest form, but Juls had meant something deeper for it. He felt that something was still bothering Ange – in fact, he was sure of it. He did not allow himself to be convinced into silence, however. Maybe Angelus wanted to do something differently than him, and Juls would oblige if he needed. If Ange had something to say, Juls wanted to hear it.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2014, 03:25:23 am »
Ready indeed. Angelus nodded and they soon left the apartment and its complex behind. They moved carefully. Angelus took point and kept his eyes opened for toclafane. He didn’t want a fight, he just wanted to escape the city, so he tried to avoid combative situations for them both. Julio managed to be quiet as well, and keep out of sight.

Well, until he whispered his query.

Angelus shook his head, but a finger to his lips to suggest the silence required until they escaped the city.

Angelus managed to hold his tongue as they moved on, but his mind was rushing.
‘I am not all right. I do not want to do this, but there is no one else.’ How had Julio made him see life again, see possibility again? It wasn’t fair, when he knew it wasn’t possible until the Master was dealt with. The only way to deal with the Master was to put his life in danger, constantly. He had to fight. He couldn’t delay any longer, he couldn’t prepare any longer. His mind insisted that he was only going to have this one chance in Sheffield, and if he didn’t take it soon, it wouldn’t exist.

But wouldn’t the factory always be a large one the Master was concerned of?

‘He will move to other worlds. He will travel from this one, as he conquers the universe.’

Others, too, would be waiting for this Doctor to handle all their problems, or simply be unable to beat the Master. Right now, he was at his most vulnerable. His projects weren't finished. He only had this world of Earth. There was hope that he could be destroyed.

They slipped out of the city, and Angelus took a path off the roads, in the direction of Sheffield. It would still be a bit of a journey.

He glanced up, finding he didn’t like the openness much more, nor the clear sky. Still, he answered the question Julio posed earlier,
“Just a lot on my mind,” he noted. “I think I…I don’t want to die.”

More and more, he was certain he was going to.
“I was comfortable with the idea before. There wasn’t…there wasn’t anything to live for, before. And now,” well, now there was. He didn’t complete that thought, but shifted to another. “I keep thinking, maybe I could put this off. Maybe I could prepare better, but, I can’t. I can’t.” He was going to be woefully unprepared. He was going to be counting on the trope that good always conquered evil, when he knew better. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2014, 09:05:11 pm »
Once they were out of the roads, Juls felt like he could breathe comfortably and let his guard down, even if only slightly. The air was pleasant to breathe in, and its scent was one he had come to appreciate more and more. To be out in the open, it was a feeling he now enjoyed, and now it was even better since he didn’t have to experience it on his own. He turned to Angelus as they walked, hating the fact that he had been right in suspecting that something was wrong with Ange.

“We won’t die,” despite his strongest wish to believe it, Juls knew that this may not be the case. If they were to go after the Master, then they would surely tread on the path of mortal danger. “Well, we might, but I won’t let it happen. It is he who must die.”

The idea of putting off the inevitable was a tempting thought, but Juls didn’t want to do it. Back in town he had wanted to remain in the apartment for a while longer, to rest and to think, but now that he was outside, Juls couldn’t think of a reason why they should stop in their pursuit. Who else was going to stop the Master?
Surely this Doctor wouldn’t. Where was he?

“I don’t want to die either,” admitted Juls, “but now we have each other, mate. We can take care of each other, and together we’ll make sure that no one else suffers the way we did. I can feel it in my gut; Sheffield is the place we’re supposed to be. It’s a long way, but we’ll get there – maybe stop for a twinkie on the way. For now, we can relax a little bit.”

Juls have Ange the most encouraging smile he could muster. It was beginning to become clear to him, however, that his previous plan of pursuing the Master on his own was not such a good idea. Not now, when having Ange as a companion had proven to be more motivating. It made him see what was important, and how imperative their actions were. Just as he had told himself not long ago that Ange needed someone to take care of him, the young blond now told himself that he had begun to care for Ange.

He wouldn't deny it.

Like a brother, and someone whom he would continue to protect if he had the chance. He wouldn’t let him die – that single thought alone was a horror Juls could neither fathom nor imagine.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2014, 09:33:16 pm »
‘No.’

Angelus wasn’t going to have another put their own life in the way of his death. For some reason, that was the thought that followed Julio’s words about not letting death happen. Angelus didn’t say as much, but nodded in understanding, acceptance. Of course the Master had to die.

He did smirk at the twinkie comment.
“No sweets until after he’s dead.” Angelus did so like twinkies, and all things sweet. It was something to look forward to when the final atrocity was committed. The factory would be right there, after all. “Twinkies for all,” he mused. They’d all be free. They’d grab twinkies and throw them out to the masses in celebration. “We’ll enjoy them together.”

Yes. Twinkies. Together. Hopeful words. Pleasant lies.

On they walked, making stops as necessary. No destruction followed them this time. Angelus wanted to preserve material. The clock was counting down. Angelus couldn’t waste more time—he had a feeling he wouldn’t put himself back on the right track if he did so.

Within Sheffield, Angelus refused to find other humans. He and Julio instead cleared a house of Toclafane and went about preparing materials. A new bag was sewn up to carry the explosives. Angelus had his new baseball bat-esque thing. The prospect of twinkies and revenge were both such sweet thoughts, that Angelus started to behave cheerfully—optimistically, even. That feeling of dread receded.

What could go wrong, now that they were here, now that they were prepared?

‘Everything.’

He was at the door of the house on that fateful day, waiting for Juls. He hadn’t eaten all day, either, and refused when Juls tried to feed him. He said he wanted an empty stomach to gorge on twinkies. He had to keep with this idea of a reward, because it somehow made the Master’s death seem like an achievable thing.

Dusk had finally arrived.
“We’ve got more than enough explosives, so let’s try to preserve some—just in case.” There would still be toclafane to deal with even after the Master was dead. These tools would remain useful. “You ready to head out? I'm starved.” Angelus adjusted the strap on his shoulder to show he was, patted the silk flower on his chest to make sure it was still there. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2014, 01:02:22 am »
They traveled safely towards Sheffield, and upon arriving, Juls felt the nearness to the future. The Master was going to be near, and then they could finally be rid of him. The idea was almost intoxicating, a dream that not too long ago had seemed impossible.

Still, some problems remained.

Despite his most desperate attempts, Ange had not agreed to eat before the biggest endeavor of their lives. “You need to eat something, you can’t ignore me!” He had told him, but to no avail. Juls did notice that Ange seemed to be in greater spirits, positive about what was to come, which made him calm his worries. Angelus and he would celebrate the defeat of the Master together, he could almost see it – the pair of them, together and free from the monster.

With twinkies.

When dusk came, Juls fetched his bag and prepared his blaster for them to venture on out. At long last, Juls had programmed the router to track the signals that were sent directly to the Master, and with it he would make sure that he came down. If he did, Juls and Ange would make sure of his death. It was that, and a foreseeable future with Ange, that made Juls motivated – strong enough to keep going.

Juls approached the doorway and exchanged a smile with Ange. “Ass,” he said with a chuckle, “you should have eaten when I told you. Yes,” he shook his head, a smile still spread across his face, “I’m ready, let’s go kill this bitch.” The young blond motioned for his companion to head out first, and he soon followed.

It would all be over soon.