Paragraphite

The Year That Once Was [Finished] Read 12477 times

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
Re: The Year That Once Was [Closed]
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 10:39:10 pm »
The Toclafane knew when and where to go. It was something Angelus recognized, and tended to count on when he planted his explosives. He used the signal against them as best he could.

Now, it would be even more dangerous. They would be killing them, and that was going to draw attention very quickly, from Toclafane even some distance away. Angelus was prepared, though. He had his own gun, but kept the baseball bat on his back, too. He wasn’t going to kill the Master with a gun if he could help it. No quick death for the Master. Painful was the only way.

‘Not bad.’ He nodded his approval at the shot and the speed. He had talents with a gun. Paintball was a hobby he had enjoyed. He’d only recently started range shooting, too. Stress relief. Angelus moved slower, quieter. He wasn’t so concerned about Toclafane falling to the ground.

When another came, he sniped it before it could even see where Julio was. It fell with a clatter.
‘And so there they will converge.’ It felt powerful. He would keep killing them as they come until Julio gave the all clear to move on. Then he’d start planting his bombs within. More human casualties, of course. Angelus couldn’t trust them to be on his side if he gave them fair warning about the building exploding.

‘How many till you notice, Master?’
One hundred Toclafane? One billion? Sometimes, Angelus wondered if the man even cared about anything but himself. What was going to make an impact?

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:41 pm »
Juls soon got busy, digging into the insides of the fallen Toclafane with all sorts of tools. Everything that he would need to make the weapons could be found there, and if he wired everything correctly, he would be able to make stronger weapons. All he needed was time. His hands were soon covered in grease and dirt, but the parts were placed safely inside the bag that hung from his shoulder. He pushed the Toclafane aside and moved on to the next one, the one that Angelus had only just sniped.

The second Toclafane was looted a lot quicker – it seemed that Juls was out of practice but was quickly getting used to it.

He motioned for Angelus to move forward along with him. The blaster began to fire off when the Toclafane appeared, knocking them down one by one. The weapon recharged faster than it did before, which made Juls smile. It had worked so far; he just needed to find a few more pieces to make a weapon for Angelus, too – one that could mirror his fascination with the sniper guns.

‘That’s ten,’ thought Juls as yet another Toclafane came. ‘Where are the other ones?’ Juls just needed to distract the Toclafane long enough for Angelus to get near and plant the bombs. The Toclafane would soon come and in greater number, but he had excellent weapons at his side. He also had the night.

Sure enough, the Toclafane began to approach the commotion in pairs of two. They were handled easily enough. They then started coming in groups of three, and even then, they all fell. Juls knew that this was the opportunity that they needed. The Toclafane were communicating, and they all now knew where Juls was. They would pursue him, leaving an open comfortable space for Angelus to do his thing.

Still, Juls moved, and they followed.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:16 pm »
The gun was returned to Julio when the man had all the parts again so he could take care of shooting them down. Angelus did plant a couple of his bombs as they moved. The whole factory was meant to go down, after all.

Sniping was indeed his preference, and had been even in paintball. Accusations of ‘camping’ bothered him none. The game he played was usually protect the flag. That meant he was going to find a place near the flag, and shoot people from it.

This game was a bit different. There was nothing to guard, only something to destroy.

More and more toclafane showed up. Their childish voices and morality were quickly silenced. When they reached stairs inside the factory, Angelus paused,
“We part here,” he told Julio. He would know his way around from here, and he knew how to dodge. “Stay close to an exit, and be prepared to run.” Angelus didn’t think he’d get to Julio before the explosions started. The man had to be prepared to escape on his own, and hope they reconnected.

Angelus didn’t wait for an answer. He ran up the stairs, shifting his bag off his back for easier access to his bombs. As soon as he reached the top, there was a bomb planted to destroy the stairs. Now it would be the machinery, the computers, and the weapons that he put the bombs on to cause chaos, and last, the roof.
‘Fun, fun.’ He’d have to race against time himself, but it was a thrill. A game.

Yes, his insanity was most manifested in the game he played against himself.
‘Let’s see if you are chosen.’ That was the name of it. Let’s see if Good triumphs Evil.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 02:17:42 am »
“Be careful,” said Juls as Angelus ran up the stairs. “Meet you on the other side.”

Like his comrade, the young one wasted no time. He dashed in the opposite direction, blaster at the ready. All the factories were the same, the same floors for the same purposes. Juls knew which areas would be swarming with Toclafane, and which would be open for his taking. He ran, shooting the blaster at the Toclafane that found him. From that point on, Juls was racing against time. He knew better than to think that Angelus would wait for him to come out safely.

He made turns, left, right – sheer adrenaline giving him the energy and the drive. Eventually his long strides led him to a large room – the weapon room. The workers looked at him confused, and the Toclafane immediately targeted the man who was clearly not where he should. The blaster fired, and the Toclafane fell. Some of the workers had been killed in an attempt to make Juls stop, but he couldn’t. He couldn’t just stop and let himself be captured again.

These were deaths that could not be avoided.

“Get out,” said Juls to the survivors, “the whole factory will be blown to bits. Find whomever you can, and get out.”

Juls pointed the blaster at those who might attack him. The room was cleared, and no one remained to bother him. Juls was quick to work, finding the main machine that managed the weapons and their assembly. With a crowbar he opened the thing up, finding the processor and the router and placing them inside the bag. It was getting heavy, so Juls decided to take only what was necessary. He closed the bag, got ahold of his blaster, and left the room.

The Toclafane were soon on top of him – teasing him and playing with him. Their blasters fired at the agile young man, but Juls took cover cleverly. Cover and fire. This combination proved fruitful for him, and the Toclafane were killed.

“Die, sons of bitches.”

He kicked them as he moved. He had gotten what he needed. Juls could work on making the weapons on the outside now – the processor for the assembly and the router for the signals. Now all he had to do, was escape the factory.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 02:38:57 am »
Careful was, for once, something Angelus did not need to worry about. The Toclafane were drawn to the one with the blaster. Angelus was given all but free range to run about and plant his bombs. He was fast, and he knew where to place them all, the time to give them all, as he ran from place to place, heedless of being seen.

The roof was pleasant, the cold air shocking his system. He knew it had been cold, but even so, returning to it after running was pleasant.
‘One more.’ And he rushed to where the generator was and set the bomb there.

Angelus didn’t sit back to admire his work. He rushed for the door and used the stair banister to reach the lower floors quicker, sliding down them as he’d done as a child.

‘Ange, you’re too big now, you’ll break it!’

There went the first explosion. He ducked as the debris flew, but was impressed with his own speed. He was on the first floor again. He could see the direct exit, the door, rather than a window, and no toclafane swarming it even though plenty of humans decided it was the best way.

Angelus mixed into the crowd, but separated shortly afterwards. Most of them would be recaptured. Angelus had no intention of being apart of that when they were all found. He wasn’t a hero. His group didn’t need to be any larger. Julio was enough.

He did pause, on the outskirts of the factory, near the metal fence, to look back and try to see if the young man had made it. He pretended he was not worried, but he was. He waited, seconds ticking by and counted. He gave himself a countdown. If Julio didn’t show up then, he’d continue on back to the hub of other humans. Julio would either make it, or he would not.

‘It doesn’t matter.’

Except it did.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 04:24:21 am »
More Toclafane came, in swarms. The blaster was an excellent weapon, and as long as he remained in the corner with the door closed behind him, he could take all of them down. And he did. Juls hurried down the last corridor as the trembling of the first explosion reached him. It was clear that Juls did not have a lot of time before the whole place came crashing down.

He looked around about the halls, choosing not to engage in combat any longer. He had to escape. The bombs would do the rest. Juls slid down the stairs, much like Angelus had, and ran across the floor. He pushed the door to the outside open, taking in the cool air like a treat.  Several Toclafane had found him, but Juls whipped around and shot them down.

A laugh of victory escaped him as he looked at a crowd of prisoners walking the other way. It was perfect. Juls had given them the freedom that they needed, but they were walking away from the place where Angelus and he agreed to meet. Too many more people would be a burden, and Juls knew that Angelus wouldn’t appreciate more people tagging along.

In a comfortable sprint, he walked out the back of the factory and quickly recognized the silhouette that was visible some distance away. He rose the blaster in the air in victory as he approached, walking as if he was on top of the world. He wasn’t, but Juls knew that they were attracting the attention of the man both he and Angelus despised.

“That went well,” said Juls with a grin as he reached Angelus. “Worried I wouldn’t show?” He teased but made little endeavor of it.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 04:39:35 am »
Angelus smiled, calm and warm, before Julio was too close. His expression was a mask again when the man was close enough to see in the dark lighting. “Worried the building wouldn’t collapse.”

It did so, right on cue, pushing smoke out and crushing bodies. Angelus turned and moved to the hole he’d created earlier in the fence. He lifted it and crawled out from under.
“Glad you made it out, though.” He was. He hated that he was. He hated this attachment. “You sure you want to keep going on like this?” He could stop here, stop before it got too dangerous, stop before he couldn’t lie about caring.

Angelus knew what the answer would be, though.

‘Why couldn’t I have known you before this?’

Julio talked of an ‘after’, a future. Angelus didn’t have the heart to tell him such didn’t exist for him. Every day, as the three beats ran their course in his head, he felt less and less attached to this world. Sure, he ate, and he now lived in it again, but he still couldn’t picture this world with pizza and chips. He wondered if Julio lived in London now and then. He had known some of the places Angelus slipped and referred to.

It would suck if it were true, but Angelus hadn’t asked. He didn’t want to know what he missed.
‘And you would have kicked ass on my paintball team.’

"C'mon,"
a motion, not that it was necessary, as Angelus moved towards the city once again.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 03:49:44 am »
Juls laughed, following Ange through the hole in the fence. “Whatever,” a chuckle.  He knew that his presence had been missed, even if just a little bit. He got a feeling from these type of things. Juls understood though, the reason why people would not want to form attachments to others. Life was difficult, and too often quite tragic. There were no happy endings with the Master ruling them. Why would anyone want to set themselves up for disappointment?

The answer came to Juls naturally.

Having someone in the midst of this hell was better than being alone.

“Getting too tired of me?” Juls asked when Angelus asked him if he wanted to continue, but his joking nature turned to a more serious tone. “Of course I want to keep going. Today was the most fun I’ve had in ages.” He knew quite well that he shouldn’t belittle the dangers that he faced, but it was the truth. Killing those who killed Juls’ loved ones was an excellent way to retaliate. With luck, the Master would notice them.

They walked back towards the city, confidence once more painting his once muffled steps.

“I got more than I hoped for,” said the boy with a proud grin, “I can start working on finding that common signal between the Toclafane and the Master. I can also make more weapons, even if only to give to other stragglers. Today was a good night.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 10:32:36 am »
There was a difference between saying and thinking. Angelus kept his mask in place when Julio mentioned it was fun, but his fists clenched.

‘Fun?’

Rage.

‘You think killing is fun? You think destroying is fun?’

Angelus was a hypocrite. He had acknowledged the thrill of it, the game it had become, but he was also quite willing to accept he was insane for it. He hated himself for it, for what he was becoming. The more he considered these lives, toclafane and human both, as obstacles, as tools, the closer he became to the monster he was fighting.

Didn’t it take that sort of mindset to make such a thing as the Master? A mindset that saw all others as tools was not good.

‘Fun.’ He mocked again.

He couldn’t speak to Julio as they walked. He was glad they had more. It would make more tools. It would allow them to kill more efficiently.
‘I’m turning him into a monster.’ That was the realization that caused Angelus to pause.

He had to stop this. He had to save this one, if only this one.
“Today was a horrible night,” he corrected him. He turned to look at Julio, his mask falling away. There wasn’t rage. There was the burden of the world on his shoulders. Angelus could become a monster to face a monster.

He couldn’t allow another to do so.
“We have killed hundreds of things. I don’t know what the toclafane are, but we are killing them. We are killing humans, and I don’t think they’re free of this signal, either. We all voted for him.” Angelus did something strange. He reached out, and he touched Julio, placing his hand on his shoulder.

He had tried to avoid contact.
“Don’t you start thinking like me. Don’t you dare start thinking this is fun, or that mass murder makes a good night. We are choosing to condemn, and to kill, toclafane and human. The toclafane have reason to follow him, to act as they do," he saved them. Angelus remembered. They died in defense of a man they owed their life to. "We are taking the power of life and death into our own hands, and we are targeting the lesser evils in a game of manipulation. Their lives are forfeit before us, because we have determined it so,” he squeezed the man’s shoulder, “What we are doing is terrible, and you need to remember that, because if you forget….” his gaze hardened.

“If you become like me, like him, I’ll use you just the same as everyone else on this planet.” 

'And right now, you are hope.'

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2014, 09:35:09 pm »
Juls saw the real Angelus for the first time that night. When he spoke, he did so with a pain – regret and burden that Juls knew was there but couldn’t point out. The horrors of his past weighed heavily on his heart, and the brutish nature of his acts were taking a toll on him. Definitely more so than Juls could have imagined, anyway. Angelus called himself insane, he identified himself as a monster, but his mere actions were proving him otherwise.

He showed concern, recognition of what the Toclafane were, even if they didn’t deserve it. He looked to Ange as a hand was placed on his shoulder. He realized that Angelus didn’t want the young one to become like him. They were monsters in their own way, but Juls always found a way to justify what he did. Of course, he had once thought that everyone had some good in them, and now that belief was extinct.

Juls had been wrong, and so he needed to get rid of the evil in the world. Was he becoming a monster himself? Was what Angelus said the truth? He couldn’t accept it. It wasn’t. Now, he couldn’t care less for himself. What worried Juls was Angelus, and the hate he had on himself. Could he not see that he was doing this to bring down the Master?

‘But at what cost?’

Juls turned away when Angelus’s expression hardened once more.

“What other choice do I have?” Despite the maturity that he had gained, Juls looked like the kid that he really was. He looked lost, aching for the answers to his wonders. “They killed my family, my beautiful girl Catrina. They took everything - everything. I can’t just sit by, fuckin doing nothing.” He felt his emotions rising, but pushed them back down. Now was not the time to run away with his feelings. “Terrible,” he echoed Ange’s words. “It is terrible. I’m fuckin seventeen and now look at me.”

He shook his head.

“You are nothing like him,” said Juls to Angelus. He was not a monster, not in his eyes. “What the Master has done is unforgivable.”

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 10:03:32 pm »
Angelus knew Julio’s pain. Everyone did. He didn't try to challenge it with his own experiences of loss. He just needed Julio to have his eyes opened. Perhaps it would make him run, and reconsider.

“There are always choices.”

Angelus had known then there were other ways, better ways, safer ways, to go at his plan. He knew all the routes Maya would have suggested, all of them involving deceit to get on the Valiant. Angelus could have pretended to be a guard until he proved himself on Earth to be taken up as one of the Master’s personal guards. He could have gotten better at stealth and stolen secrets, searched them out, as he heard some woman named Martha was doing.

There were so many other ways. His knowledge of them, and conscious decision to do this, were what made him the monster.
“There are so many other ways I—you—could have chosen to go at the Master and bring him down.” Maya probably would have preferred the psychopath arrested, too. Angelus would never make that choice. “And I have chosen this path. I have chosen the path of murderer.”

He had been furious that so many others didn’t fight—his mind had begun to justify it as good. Those who would serve the Master deserved it, no matter how afraid they were. The Toclafane served a corrupt man without question—he justified that now, too.

He was going after the Master with no intention of asking the man ‘Why’.

That, too, did not set well with him, but it was what he would do. He would not seek closure. He would not seek to understand his enemy. He did not crave understanding, only destruction.
“What I am doing is not necessary,” not this path, “Maybe going after the Master is necessary. Yeah, I can’t really see beyond that,” and that was a problem, “but not this way. Not like this. I know what I am doing in killing people, Julio. I know what I am doing in killing Toclafane, and you know what? I do justify it. The people I kill are cowards. The Toclafane are adoring pets without the capability to reason against their Master,” and there was a hitch in his voice. His hand moved to his forehead, pushed hair back, “How the fuck will I ever live in a normal world again? I’ll justify shit like this all the time. Some guy will cut me off in the road, and I’ll decide he was asking to die,” hand clenched around his hair.

Monster.

“I have killed people I’ve never seen, Julio. They’re like you, scared and forced to work for the Master, but I kill them because it is the only way I know how to quickly weaken the Master’s offenses. It isn’t right. It will never be right. I don’t want it to be right, and I don’t want you to start making excuses. I have killed someone’s sister. I have killed someone’s Catrina,”
his hand fell away. His gaze was haunted with the knowledge he had, and with the truth of it all: he wasn’t going to stray from this path. “How can you say I am not like him, when I am going to continue doing this? Don't make up a comforting lie to yourself, just because you hate him, Julio."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:36:24 pm by Krystal Itzume »

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 12:04:22 am »
Juls muffled a scoff as he turned away. Of course there were other ways to go after the Master. None of those ways sat right with him, though, and he couldn’t hide it. He would never be able to pretend to support the Master, or seek information in the remotest edges of the planet. No, this was the best way to do it. He had the knowledge to bring down the Master, and he intended to use it. He couldn’t go back, try another way. He got the feeling that’s what Angelus wanted.

Then Catrina’s name was used. The reality of it came to him like a canon, making him turn to Angelus with a look of disbelief. It had been true, and Juls had done the same thing. He had left people’s loved ones to die. He couldn’t have avoided it. There were greater things on the line – time had not allowed him to save them. Not without risking his or Ange’s capture. Still, Angelus spoke, clearly struggling to make him see that he was just as much of a monster as the Master.

Despite it all, Juls could not believe it.

He fell silent, trying desperately to find his voice. “I don't know,” exclaimed the young blond, shaking his head but keeping his eyes locked with Ange’s. “If it were only a lie, I could at least explain why – it would be comforting. But it isn’t a lie. What you’ve done, I can’t ignore or justify it because I’ve done it, too. I haven’t killed them directly, but I’ve left them behind to die. Is that not the same?” He struggled, but continued. “It’s haunting me. Maybe this sudden thrill could have just been an excuse to see past that, but not you. What I said about you is not a lie.”

He turned away again. “You know how I feel, thinking of the past. Everyone feels it, and just like me, you let the hatred fuel you. It eats at you. You've kept it all in - let it out! What you showed me now is the closest thing I have seen to remorse, something that I struggle with, too. Do you think he feels bad because of what he’s done? I can assure you, he doesn’t. Murder,” he looked down with the thought. “I don’t know if it is remorse that makes you different. It very well couldn’t. You say you will continue of this path, and I get that. Don’t you think that I’ll reconsider, I’ll come with you, and I will show you how you are different. Perhaps not now, and maybe not anytime soon, but I will.”

Juls cursed. “Explain, then, why I don’t hate you. I sure as hell can't.” Foolish logic, but it worked. He didn’t hate Angelus, even knowing that he had done all these things. It wasn’t because Angelus hadn’t killed any of his loved ones, that didn’t matter to Juls at this point. There was something more in Angelus – and if it made him a monster, it would be a monster that Juls could live with. He could almost see it.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 12:23:43 am »
Julio refused to see the comparison, still. Angelus wasn’t sure if he should think more highly of himself, or if he should question Julio’s sanity more than his own.

“Maybe it is just that I feel remorse,”
but in truth, he didn’t know what the Master felt, if anything. That was something Maya would have tried to figure out, to understand. Angelus didn’t care. He acknowledged that. “Maybe it is because I acknowledge that I’m doing is wrong, and he…well, maybe he thinks he’s right. Maybe you're crazy.” That would be difference enough. “It doesn’t change the action.” Angelus had personally killed people, unlike Juls. He’d felt heads, heads which were meant to be so strong protected by their skull, crushed beneath him.

The actions never changed, and Angelus was, and always would be, a man of action and intent. That was what bothered him. He intended all of this.

He kept quiet a few seconds, going down that line of questioning Julio’s sanity and his own monstrosity.
“I don’t know why you think I’m any different, but,” he shrugged, “you do. Just don’t become like me. When this is all over, you might…you might be able to deal with it.”

Angelus didn’t know where he’d begin, and where he’d end. He couldn’t live long enough to atone, and he wasn’t sure he’d be able to do so in any sincere fashion. The justifications were already destroying his humanity. This slip might be the last of it for all Angelus knew. Already, the mask was starting to repair itself as Angelus denied letting it out any further.

He couldn’t.

It would crush him.
“C’mon then,” he turned and started walking once more.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 02:02:18 am »
The heated topic seemed to have died down, yet Juls knew that Angelus still believed that he was wrong – and maybe he was. Maybe they were all monsters, and Juls was just too stupid to realize it. Juls was okay with acknowledging that, but it scared the hell out of him. Lots of things silently scared him as of late. He hated it. Juls had often been a brave kid, fearing only medical surgeries and sharks. He had held his first snake when he was four. That had been a day.

They continue to walk in silence.

Angelus needed someone to keep him grounded. Perhaps it wasn’t in Juls to do that, but he would at least try. He had to. Perhaps the reason why Angelus thought himself a monster was because he didn’t have anyone to tell him otherwise. Angelus had lost everyone he loved, so who was left to take care of him? He was violent, and he had killed, but Juls knew that it was much more complicated than that. Everything was complicated. The signal, the four beats that always seemed to strike fear in everyone’s hearts.

“We should head farther north,” said Juls to break the silence. “I heard that was one of the biggest factories. If we want the man to notice us, we need to burn down his biggest suppliers. And besides, there are some fun things around there.”

Twinkies. A brief smile came across his face, despite the dark topics discussed that night.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:56 am »
“Do you know where north?” Angelus was planning to continue north anyway, but if there was a particular factory he had in mind, Angelus could adjust his route so that they could get to this factory sooner. He didn’t consider the other things that Julio hinted at. Factories of weapons were always the targets, little else in an area mattered to Angelus.

As they drew further into the city, Angelus adapted their route so that the Toclafane would not happen upon them. The Toclafane were taking direct routes towards the destruction, no doubt upset by the fact their own had actually been killed in the mass destruction.
“We can head there tomorrow,” his voice was now a whisper as he took the turn to the door of the hide away.

Three-beat knock received its answer, and a smile lit the woman’s face. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:26:13 pm by Krystal Itzume »

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 07:45:56 am »
For some reason, Juls felt more exhausted than he should. It could have been the conversation he had with Ange, or it could’ve been the fact that he had been having trouble sleeping lately. His thoughts had been obsessing over uncomfortable and depressing thoughts. At least Ange seemed to be up for the idea of going after the largest factory the Master overlooked. There could be a few factories that they could take down on the way, but that would alert the Toclafane of their path.

That one factory would be harder to bring down.

They entered their hideout, where it would be more comfortable for them to talk. “From what I understand, it’s still pretty far. It’s somewhere around Sheffield, quite the ways away from home. We can start that way tomorrow, maybe burn down some factories on the way?”

Juls soon found a place to rest his head, though he had no intentions of discontinuing his descriptions on what he knew about the factories. The more Ange knew about them, the better off they would be.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 07:52:29 am »
Angelus had a similar thought to Julio, or perhaps mere instinct. His mind wrapped around the possibility and repeated it, over and over. There was what he was looking for. In Sheffield, he would meet the Master at long last. He knew it. He did not need to waste time.

“No,” Angelus shook his head, “We don’t need to do that.” Strange, coming from him. “Just this one.” ‘One last factory.’ “If it fails, we’ll go back and raze all the others we passed.” He had a feeling that’d be all he was capable of. The emotion that this was right, that this time it would work out, was stronger than it had been before.

Besides, stopping to destroy others always took time. They had to prepare the explosives for them, and other such things.

The lady led them to the basement, and Julio found himself a place to rest. Angelus hesitated, but sat besides him. He asked, quiet,
“What do you know of this one?” If Juls didn’t answer, then he would assume Julio wanted to sleep and he would leave him be to ask the question later. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 08:41:59 am »
Juls had his eyes closed, but he felt Angelus sit next to him. This had been the closest they had been when relaxing. He felt the urge to smile, but fought it back when a separate thought came to him. He had told himself that Angelus needed to eat after their little project. It was extremely important for him not to miss any of the scattered meals. He was still getting off of his starvation, and Juls had not allowed a missed meal yet. And he wouldn’t.

“Crap,” it came out as a whisper. He fetched the backpack from his side and took out another can. It was corn, one of the better things that they were allowed to eat. Even the Master couldn’t ruin something that wasn’t that bad naturally. “Here, eat. I'd nearly forgotten.”

He handed the opened can and a spoon. He wouldn't take no for an answer.

Juls would be doing most of the talking anyway, Ange could eat.

“The Toclafane follow the Master without question, but they are quite easy to trick when they think you are harmless,” a chuckle, “I heard them say to one of the human supporters that the factory by Sheffield was the biggest, and that most weapons and information were exchanged there. I just know that’s our biggest bet at finding the Master. We take that down, and he has to come down.”
The Master had to come down. There was no way he could ignore it. Juls had a feeling in his gut that was the place to go to.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 09:12:17 am »
Food.

Angelus groaned when he remembered, as if wishing he could go back to the starvation routine. Angelus wasn’t sure what he wanted. He took the corn, not because he wanted it, but because he had to now that Julio remembered. He ate, as the other talked.

With a mouth full of corn, he nodded at Julio’s last point. He swallowed, took a breath,
“That was my feeling, too.” Not that he’d been right yet, but still. He knew that trick with the Toclafane, too. He was glad Julio had figured it out, used it.

They would get there, and they would kill him. He finished what was left of the corn in the can and set it aside.
“Do you know Sheffield well?” Angelus didn’t. It still wouldn't be difficult to find what they were looking for. Those factories were offensive to his eyes.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 09:23:24 am »
Juls went back to resting his head on the wall and closing his eyes. Ange was eating and he thought the same thing as he did. Things were going well. Juls just needed to keep this up, and soon Ange would be back to normal. He couldn’t explain why he cared so much. Still, the man needed someone to take care of him. He would have starved himself to death alone.

“No,” he shook his head, “I know where Sheffield is, though I have never actually been there. I haven’t been to many places, really. Except London,” London had been one of his favorite places. He wanted to live there in the future, but he really did miss his home. He missed his house and his parents.  “I’m from Bristol, so it’s not too long of a drive.” He smiled. He would drive even if he wasn’t supposed to. Nobody would ever notice, and he drove well.

“I don’t think we’ll have any trouble finding it, though. I mean, they aren’t really hard to spot.”

He laughed. 

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 09:30:49 am »
Bristol. He committed it to memory. “Never been there. I was raised around London. I’m not sure it’s so great,” he was biased, though. He’d been there his whole life. He wanted to go elsewhere, but stayed. Family and friends had kept him there. Well, not any more. Perhaps he should have taken a tip from Martha and gone to walk the world. "I wanted to see America. New York." Really missed the opportunity to do so now. He had friends there. He wondered if they were still alive.

“That should be enough knowledge, though. North, with an offensively large factory,”
easy. They could always ask advice and directions on the way. They would probably stop at another haven like this.

He rose,
“You should sleep. We leave at dawn,” as they always did. He planned to walk to a cot and get some sleep himself.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 09:29:49 pm »
So Angelus was from London, but wanted to visit New York in America. The city was definitely of interest for Juls, too. Ange left Juls, which left him alone with the sudden thoughts of travel. He led his body slide down on the concrete, where he cradled himself. Cots had been offered, but they were running out of space. Juls wouldn’t be taking anyone else’s bed, and he allowed Ange to have the spare. The troubles of this life had made it easy for Juls to sleep anywhere.

He could sleep while sitting down, and he could sleep on the floor. People often pitied him, but he didn’t care. Juls was used to it. The Empire State building was the last thing his mind pictured before he drifted off to sleep.

The ground shook, and Juls awoke with a start, immediately taking a look around. The ground shook again as the familiar sounds of the Toclafane could be heard.  They had been found. The room had still not come into focus, which told Juls that he had been asleep for a while. He looked at the other humans panic, but his hand reach on his side for the blaster.

“Shit,” he breathed out. They were in the basement, which meant that they were stuck. “Ange!”

It had been the first time he had called Angelus so, but his instinct had taken over. He ushered the others to take a place behind him, behind the blaster, and away from the incoming Toclafane. He still couldn’t see Ange, he had woken from his sleep only seconds ago, and the room seemed to be spinning. If the Toclafane came, however, he would bring all of them down.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »
Angelus slipped from darkness into darkness. He awoke in darkness, too. There was a panic around him. Someone called a name he hadn’t heard in a lifetime. It caused him to jolt upright, because for a moment that voice contained the sound of all of his friends.

‘No.’ This was still reality, and they were in trouble.

Angelus didn’t trouble himself, though. As Julio knew, the Toclafane were arrogant, childish. He yawned, stretched, as others moved about to try and hide from them. Angelus heard the door come off its hinges, followed closely by the basement one, which slid down the stairs. The Toclafane simply floated down.

Angelus observed them from where he sat, mild. It wasn’t like the Toclafane would know who he was amidst such a group. He could even use the group and the chaos to his advantage.
“Come out, everyone!” A ridiculously cheery voice. “It’s time for you to go and work for your Master! Come out with your IDs or else you will be given some!”

People with IDs would be in trouble, to be found in such a gathering of humans.
“Can I have five more minutes to sleep?” Angelus asked. “I’ll get you my ID then.”

“Ooh! No, up on your feet now!”

Angelus rolled his eyes. He did stand, though. He reached for the baseball bat under the cot. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 05:03:35 am »
The people moved behind him, but Ange remained closest to the Toclafane. They were after them, mocking them as they always did. Juls eyes managed to notice Ange’s movements. The pair needed to coordinate or the Toclafane would shoot their weapons at them. Juls strategized briefly. Ange could hit the nearest one with the bat, which meant that Juls should take the one behind the first. He readied the blaster, which had thankfully gone unnoticed because of Ange’s little conversation with the damned things. 

Juls witnessed the grip, and the blaster fired. The Toclafane fell, and the others immediately began their assault. Juls dashed forward and flipped a table for cover. He shot the blaster to keep them off of Ange, who was going to go melee on their asses.

“Stay back!” Said Juls to those few who thought they could escape. “On your right, Ange!”  There was no way out of the basement just yet. They would only kill themselves. The Toclafane were soon upon Juls, but he managed to keep them back. The blaster would soon need to recharge, though. Juls hadn’t been prepared enough, so he would have to use the smaller weapons in time.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 05:35:09 am »
There were always cowards amongst the humans.

Angelus learned that lesson again. His bat struck home to the toclafane that talked to him, and he moved swiftly, making his way to where his book bag was. All of his plans involved blowing the place sky high. The toclafane wouldn’t be killed, but Angelus knew more were coming. They were all going to come here, because they had the humans trapped. 

Escape would come only at the cost of distraction, and that would be in the form of debris and chaos. Angelus knew he could have run up the stairs, but he’d not escape the toclafane so long as they had a lock on his position.

Some human shouted,
“Please, please just stop! We’ll come!” Angelus hit the one on his right that Julio pointed out, and then reached his bag.

Angelus knelt by his bag and quickly took out one of the few explosives he had remaining. He shifted it behind his back as he rose again, watching another Toclafane fall. More were coming down the stairs, though. He looked to the basement window, decided that would take too long.

And then someone grabbed both of his arms to try and stop him from fighting.

“I remember you!”

Angelus knew that voice, too, as he struggled for his freedom to the hissing whisper,
“Stop, please just stop.”

“You’re the one the Master wouldn’t like!”

Angelus saw red. The explosive dropped to the ground, unprogrammed, and he threw the man off. The baseball bat, too, fell.
“Silly boy. She wanted you to live.” He knelt to pick up the explosive again, planning to set it right on the toclafane, even though his rational mind was screaming at him, telling him it wouldn’t work and it wasn’t worth it.

He gave in to anger. He lunged at the creature and found his arm impaled by one of its spikes.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 01:59:38 am »
All color seemed to have left Juls, his eyes briefly widening at Angelus and his horribly injured arm. ‘Why did you do that?!’ He cursed, kicking the table before him forward. This demanded the attention back to him, and away from Angelus. He’d reached for two small weapons for the bag, one in each hand. He shot at the Toclafane, which fell one by one. He didn’t shoot at the one that had impaled Ange – that would only make things worse.

Juls didn’t have much time, though.

He moved forward, hoping that the Toclafane would not move and injure Ange any further. He shot the gun directly at its body, and it went numb. A blast had graced at his neck, but comparatively it was a smaller injury.

“It's going to be okay, we're okay,”
Juls was desperately trying not to panic, and his voice remained unusually smooth, however severe. Juls forcefully took the explosive from Ange’s hand, activated it, and threw it behind him, towards the doorway into the basement. That would buy them sometime, but Juls couldn’t see how he could manage himself and Ange with the Toclafane soon upon them again.

Quick thinking. Juls couldn’t break the Toclafane away from Ange and risk further damage, and they couldn’t just move with the Toclafane still attached. In the spur of the moment, Juls decided it best to remove the Toclafane, even though the bleeding would worsen. They could at least stop the bleeding. ‘Hopefully.’

“I’m sorry,” the apology was genuine, and there was pain in Juls’ eyes. Forcefully, Juls pulled the Toclafane off of Ange.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 02:18:08 am »
It was amazing how physical pain could override the emotional pain. Angelus’s vision and mind cleared. He let out a cry as he saw his own arm, but held tight to the explosive. He tried to reach down for his bat, but the toclafane pulled up. He had to go with it, or he risked having his arm wound worsened.

The damn thing giggled,
“Don’t worry, I won’t kill you!” A table was kicked. Other toclafane turned to that scene and targeted Julio.

‘Please do.’

He had a feeling he’d prefer death to whatever the toclafane had in mind. He lifted his hand up to try and get the explosive out of his injured one, but it was caught by Julio shortly after the toclafane was suddenly paralyzed. At least it stayed floating in air.

Explosive was activated.
“JULS!” They wouldn’t have much time.

Thrown.

Julio also reacted quickly to the toclafane issue. An apology came, and before Angelus knew it, the spike and toclafane were removed. He cringed, drew his arm to his chest only to see the horrible amount of blood that moved down his shirt to drench him.
‘Time!’ He couldn’t focus on that.

He grabbed Julio’s hand with his good arm, and bolted for the stairs which were blessedly empty of toclafane. The same couldn’t be said for the upper floor, and they were quickly noticed. Angelus didn’t turn his attention to them, ignored the shots fired. His mind was already doing a countdown.

Only a few meters out of the house, and he heard the explosion. He managed not to be thrown forward by the energy that came forward, but he did stagger. The toclafane within would be buried for a little while. The toclafane outside were another story. The humans within would be dead.

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 04:11:33 am »
Juls knew that they didn’t have a lot of time. He was aware of the consequences that would come because of his actions. He had weighed them in his head, and had he not done anything, they would have all died. Juls would not have succumbed to the Toclafane anymore. That was not an option. As soon as the Toclafane was tossed aside, Juls felt his hand pulled by Angelus as he ran up the stairs. They were running out of time.

Juls turned, and fired, the bag flying behind him as the pair of them escaped. Then the explosion came, blinding and deafening before them. The few Toclafane that had not been buried or killed by the explosion did not care about the others and continued their pursuit on those who had escaped. Juls continued to fire, hitting them as they drew nearer. He had always been good at shooting a gun, but he quickly realized that it must have been an act of god that every bullet he shot found its target.

“I’m sorry,” he was and he wasn’t. He had done what was necessary, even if it had killed the other survivors.  It was only a matter of time before even more Toclafane came to search for them. “Don’t move,” he instructed and insisted, “Don’t move!” A small bottle of alcohol was fetched and emptied on the wound. Juls couldn’t clean it any better than that. He took off his jacket in order to take off his shirt and began to wrap it around the hole in Ange’s arm. The night was cool, but he would use the jacket to warm up after he stopped the bleeding. He needed to stop the bleeding. That would buy them some time to run for it and find something to stitch it up.

There had to be a place nearby.

Juls applied pressure and wrapped the shirt tightly.

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 04:24:36 am »
Angelus refused to look back, and he listened to the shots. His hand also never released Julio as he kept running, dragging the man along. It would have benefited him to let him go, and escape as the toclafane closed in on the younger man. Such was an argument presented in his head, and it was ignored. ‘No.’

He could not let Julio go. He would not let another die on his behalf.

‘She wanted you to live.’

The tears nearly blinded him. That toclafane was still alive, wasn’t it?

He’d see it dead. It and the Master. All of them. Everything. Everyone. He could still feel that despicable human try to stop him.

He was jarred to a stop by the other finally resisting. Apparently they’d escaped the toclafane, at least for the moment. Angelus was told not to move. He blinked and did move, but the insistence followed. He paused and let the other do with his arm as he liked. Then he noticed the alcohol.
“Don’t you—FUCK!” Angelus couldn’t help the scream as the stinging agony seemed to activate the pain receptors all over his body. “Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck,” he continued, now a whisper, as the man wrapped his arm with the jacket.

Once it was wrapped tight, Angelus drew it back to his chest, held it there. He tried to think of what next. The toclafane didn’t seem to be following. Julio looked cold.
“Suit shop,” he said. “There’s got to be one around,” there had been a factory. That meant the area would have a couple of other things. The Master did so like his damn suits. 

Bleu

• E•MER•GEN•CY
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 05:07:40 am »
‘Suit shop?’

Juls looked bewildered. “Don’t be ridiculous,” said he, his head shaking feverishly. So what if he was cold? He wouldn’t die. It wasn’t likely, anyway. “We need to find something to stitch you up. The shirt won’t hold the blood for long.” Juls noticed Ange’s tears, and was positive that they had something to do with the Toclafane that recognized him back in the safe house. It had probably been the Toclafane that had killed his loved ones. This was not the time to chat idly.

“Don’t move your arm,” said Juls, softer this time. They needed to get lost in between the building – whatever it took to get away from the burning house. This time it was Juls who grabbed Ange’s hand and dragged him along as he hurried into the many buildings of the city. There had to be a place where he could find medical supplies, somewhere around the factory, possibly. Anything to help and stop Ange from bleeding out.

He passed several deserted apartments. There was one in particular that looked like it had been locked by the Toclafane, yet it didn't look like it had been bothered with in a while. Routines were likely moved elsewhere. It looked like it hadn’t been scavenged yet, too. It was too far into the city, people wouldn’t risk it. Juls had no choice. “This way,” he urged, even if Ange didn’t want to. With luck, he could find a shirt within, too. Julio didn’t kick the door open. That’s how many people got caught, by making unnecessary noise in desperation. He picked the lock, though it took him a while. He hated Toclafane locks.