News: 
Paragraphite

Halloween costumes Read 1681 times

astrangecharm

• Life is the creation of the Mind
    • View Profile
Halloween costumes
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:40:12 am »
Halloween is my FAVORITE time of year. I LOVE playing dress up! What is everyone going as hmmmm?

Im gonna be Rosie the riveter and Pinkie pie : 3 YAY!

:rainbowsheep: :rainbowsheep: :rainbowsheep: :rainbowsheep: :rainbowsheep:

Q

• Drinking tea. ('cos that's what we do in England)
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween costumes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:47:40 am »
I think this year will possibly be the first year in a long time that I can't dress up as:
1) It may be deemed innapropriate where I work
2) My shift may not end in time for me to celebrate afterwards (and I'm working the day after)
3) I live in student accomodation, I'm not sure there's such a thing as trick or treaters around here anymore.

I'm not even sure I'll have a chance to celebrate at all. Which pretty much sucks in my opinnion; as I hold Halloween in much higher regard than I hold Christmas.

I've wanted to hold a 'dumb dinner' for a few years now, but I've never gotten around to doing it due to people believing I'd bring evil spirits into the house. -_-

Sad Q.

:'(

astrangecharm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:39:53 pm »
aww Q!

Im sorry babe. I love halloween, Im so sad you arent able to celebrate it. Maybe your work will let you wear a kooky headband or something? The only reason I'm allowed to costume at work is because Ill have my work shirt on underneath (I work at a fast casual healthy dining place) and i BEGGED my boss to let us dress up. Im lucky im such a brown noser, lol.

edit: what in the world is a dumb dinner? I am most curioussss!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:41:10 pm by astrangecharm »

Q

• Drinking tea. ('cos that's what we do in England)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:20:08 pm »
I currently 'work' in a mental health setting, so I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea to turn up with fancy dress (even a head band could be taken the wrong way by service users, especially if any of them are religious)

Basically a Dumb Supper/Dumb Dinner is a fairly old ritual/tradition in which you host a dinner party.

The main details of said dinner party are that the guests and hosts are to remain silent.

You cook a meal (some say the best time to do this is during 'witching hour' on Samhain/All Hallow's Eve) setting the table with one place spare. This spare table setting is a seat reserved for the spirits to join your meal. You even go to the extent of serving food to the empty space (which may seem like a waste, but is often seen as more like an offering).

You invite spirits to join your feast by opening all the doors and windows to allow them to enter your home. Candles and food and wine (you can't have a dinner party without wine!)

Normally, I make Soul Cakes. These are a bit like biscuits. As the baker, you are not allowed to eat them yourself. They can be eaten by others (friends/family etc) but some are often taken outside as an offering to any spirits.

I love halloween.

Beau

• I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:28:30 am »
I have a baseball uniform.  I tend to cop out and just where that.

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:43:51 am »
I am a Halloween freak!

I love dressing up and everyone else dressing up and I think about costumes practically all year round. I am literally that person that eves drops in the costume isle and the grocery store, or the lady standing in line to get cloth cut at the craft store, who hears peoples "How am I going to pull this off/How do I make this work/etc" and gives advice. No. Joke. I've helped many strangers and friends and family come up with elaborate, or quick and easy for many years now and I LOVE it.

I will never stop dressing up on Halloween, even if my kids are all grown and all I'm doing is handing out candy =]

If I get my stuff together I'm going to be a massive butterfly this year, which sounds like a simple costume, unless you are me and decide that the wire/gitter/stocking wings from the store just don't cut it. I hope my vision turns out, even if it doesn't I'll probably post pictures =]

My two little ones are being Wonder Woman and Super girl, a flip flop from last year, I gave them more options but the oldest sort of picked for the both of them and since we made the costumes for them for a Con earlier this year, they settled on wearing them again.

I was much more elaborate the last year (the hubs and I were Tsunade and Jiraya, which I just elaborated on for the Con) but he has to work this year, so no costume for him =[

Anyway, glad to know there are other Halloween like minded people out there ^_^

Pach_Work

• prone to imagination spasms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:52 am »
I am a HUGE Halloween fan as well! My birthday is October 27th so I always have a Halloween party for it. This year my birthday is on a Sunday and the rest of the weekend is taken up by sports events, so I figured I would celebrate by having a good time at the game.

I'll be going as a dalmatian this year. I'm broke, so I am wearing a black&white polka-dotted dress that I already have in my closet, putting my hair in low pigtails and painting a black dog nose on my face. I'll just borrow my dog's collar and don a pair of black boots and I think that will do it. Maybe I'll have enough money to purchase a plastic fireman's hat!

Next year I think I will go as something scarier. I haven't been adventurous enough in the past.  :ninja:

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
  • Don't Leave Me In This Heaven Alone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:29:59 pm »
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, too. Last year I dressed up for every day of Halloween week (Pirate, Satan, Gypsy are the ones I remember)...I think the people here are finally used to it.

This year, I'm going to be 10th Doctor. One of the students in the class I assist with is dressing up as 4th Doctor. I'm trying to get as many Doctor Who fans to dress up that day as I can.

I mostly like Halloween for dressing up...it gives me an excuse to do what I do anyway. My brother is dressing up "late" as The Master to humor me, when I visit him in November. He hates Doctor Who.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:39:06 pm by Krystal Itzume »

astrangecharm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:50:13 am »
My coveralls just got here for my costume. So excite!

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 03:45:18 am »
Allons~y!

My friend insisted I say one of his catch phrases. My hair looked so much better earlier in the day, but it rained.

Doctor Who?

Vote Saxon!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:47:55 am by Krystal Itzume »

Peregrine

• Alis Volat Propriis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 08:03:11 am »
Sooo... it isn't the greatest picture of how cool they really are, with the light filtering through the wings and yeah... but my butterfly costume turned out almost just how I pictured, so that is great.

I'll see if I can get a picture of them outside in the sun. https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/529407_10202454838914521_247571411_n.jpg

Krystal Itzume

• Caesar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:59 pm »
Those wings are so awesome! So much better than what you find at most stores. Well done, Peregrine!